Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 12:15AM

"The hashtag “Straight Pride Parade” began trending on social media early Tuesday. The basis was claims by a group of men calling themselves “Super Happy Fun America” that they had applied for and received permission to hold a … Straight Pride Parade. The parade would take place this summer in Boston, Massachusetts. According to BuzzFeed News, the group has indeed applied for the permits it would need but has not received any permissions."

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Charlottesville_%27Unite_the_Right%27_Rally_%2835780274914%29_crop.jpg/1024px-Charlottesville_%27Unite_the_Right%27_Rally_%2835780274914%29_crop.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 12:21AM

Now what hard times did straight people have for their sexual identity? I would like to know.

The LGBTQ+ community had and still have so many struggles, but yet, they persevered. They have pride in themselves for this. They have pride in being who they are, even if people chastize them for being who they are.

Straight people can be straight, but making it a parade is a slap in the face to the LGBTQ+ community because they did not cope with many struggles for being who they are, sexual identity wise.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 05:40AM

When people going round talking about heteronormativity, toxic masculinity, the male gaze (which helped produce every person on this board in some wag) etc etc, you can see things are zliding. Then there's the whole thing about people having too many children - which is not a problem in the developed world - especially not Italy and Japan.

Heterophobia is a relatively new phenomenon, or at least at the mainstream level, but it is out there and can be seen online.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 05:40AM

* sliding

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 09:34AM

That's an interesting perspective. but I'd say that Heterophobia (a term I've never heard before) is probably not growing in influence for the reason that lgbtq aren't scared of straight people, never have and never were. But just the same could be said about homophobia. No one is scared about that either, yet activists continue to propagate this deceivable idea.

I think these conceptual words should be switched for what people really think, which is something like anti-gay, or anti-hetero. We should stop pretending that the other side is scared.

But as for a hetero parade. I see nothing wrong, it's within their rights to express their free speech.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 06:55AM

That parade picture with the Nazi flag and conferate flags was ewww! Parade of bigoted hateful jerks.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 08:03PM

the "Happy Fun America" group. I think Dave just wanted to work in a Nazi flag association for effect...hence the random Charlottesville photo. I haven't followed the story closely, but I think the parade is a goofy idea (and I'm not a fan of parades in general). On the other hand, I haven't come across anything that indicates that the parade organizers like or use Nazi flags or had any connection with that group in Charlottesville that the photo shows.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 08:26AM

Even a bunch of fragile snowflakes deserve to have a parade... It's basically a gathering of ignorant, bigoted, hypocrites having a Sunday gathering!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 10:39AM

A parade that represents the last dying gasps of a behemoth as it wastes away?

Is the need to feel superiority over others an innate human trait? Is it part of an instinctual survival mode that we cannot rid ourselves of? Is that why Mormons are reluctant to leave behind the belief that they are God's one and only chosen and the only ones going to the CK? Such an important need that they are willing to sacrifice family and reason? And decency and human kindness?

And is the need to claim to be the persecuted only the extension of the same? A way to save face in a world that does not agree with you?

Still. Big difference between a rainbow of inclusion vs a swastika of death and confederate flag championing slavery. Rights are a tricky business. They don't often play well together. I suppose this is because they are being decided by a committee of 8 billion people and counting.

And it's not just a camel that is resulting this time. :)

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 12:01PM

Seems like the "All Lives Matter" reaction to the BLM movement.
Its kinda like a bunch of assholes showing up to a "March For The Cure" fun run yelling, "All Cancer Matter!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 12:15PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 12:12PM

Are there going to be strippers?

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 12:27PM

A big advantages of diversity is... fun parades!!!!

Does anyone really believe that a bunch of straight white males could organize a fun parade? Possibly, if there were a few creative types in the mix (I'm looking at you, Abbie Hoffman), but these appear to be some homophobic boys trying to "turn the tables" with a not-so-subtle tactic. I won't hold my breath for fun on this one.

Date: June 05, 2019 02:23PM

Yes a fun parade...

1. Bikini contest (must be missing a few teeth to qualify) and bring birth certificate to show your true gender!
2. Book Burning
3. Anti-Vaxer Booth
4. Flat Earther's Society Intensive
5. Beer Garden/BYOB
6. Mock immigrant round-up
7. Key Note Speaker Rush Limbaugh
8. Ak47 shooting contest
9. White affirmation and prayer session... Pastor Steven's Anderson.
10. How to spiffy up your trailer seminar
11. How to destroy the world faster and bring about second coming exhibition
12. When it's okay to have sex with a 13 yr old. Legal advice from Roy Moore.
13.WWJD... Practical advice on how to navigate around Biblical teachings with Joel O'steen.
14. How to avoid paying child support. Real life practical advice.
15. My ignorance is as good or better than your knowledge... How to beat libtards at their own game
16. Pitbull petting zoo for the kiddies
17. 15 is the perfect age to get pregnant slide show...
18. And soooo much more!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 03:11PM

Brilliant! My personal faves are #'s 10 and 16.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 07:36PM

Sounds like a MAGA rally. Isn't that what straight pride is? Well, until they're all caught soliciting underage boys in the porta potties.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 03:33PM

For folks marching in the straight pride parade in Alabama do the men introduce their significant other as wife or sister first?

HH =)

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 05:00PM

No one marries their sister in Alabama. That's just gross.

Cousins though. Cousins can be hot.

--fossilman in Alabama

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 05:38PM

*thumbs up*

HH =)

Date: June 05, 2019 03:38PM

I think any straight white pride parade needs Mormons.

"For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/5.20-24?lang=eng#19

Cause you know "enticing" is a sexual term here.

Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 05:19PM

Everyday is the straight parade...

The purpose of a parade is to celebrate something that is out of the ordinary.

I can walk down the street in any city on any day and at any time (except during the Pride parade) and 90 % of the people I see will be straight. Isn't that enough?

Date: June 05, 2019 06:17PM

blueskyutah2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The purpose of a parade is to celebrate something
> that is out of the ordinary.

Strippers aren't ordinarily seen in public. Maybe typical hetero white males can get a stripper's pride parade together. They seem to be big supporters of women in this regard. It would publicly show their support for a section of society marginalized and sidelined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 06:17PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 05, 2019 06:39PM

Pride is inclusive. So I look forward to marching in it with my band of marry men.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 12:32PM

Headline : "Milo Yiannopoulos named grand marshal for 'straight pride' parade"

“This parade is a gift to anyone, male or female, black or white—gay and transgender allies, too!—who will stand with us and celebrate the wonder and the majesty of God’s own heterosexuality. Men, bring your most toxic selves. Women, prepare to burn your briefcases! Because it’s great to be straight, and we’re not apologizing for it any more. We’re Here, Not Queer.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 12:34PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: June 09, 2019 09:19PM

I know I got my posts removed over my dislike of Milo, and I know some will disagree with me on this, but judging from Milo’s announcement, and based on his views, he doesn’t mind if the people in the rally act toxic, even anti-gay. Aren’t us exmormons or people who wishe they were exmormon supposed to not be anti-gay? He’s gay himself. Go figure!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 09:20PM by redskittle.

Date: June 09, 2019 09:21PM

Maybe the LD$ church is spending some money to fund the straight pride parade?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:45PM

The problem, redskittle, is that Milo is a figurehead for right-wing extremism. Criticizing him is therefore verboten.

The LDS church used to teach us to hate the sin but love the sinner. Accordingly, at RfM we may criticize the homophobia but not the homophobe.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 10:34AM

A large percentage of homophobes are homosexual. Women can still be misogynistic. All people can be bigoted even against their own.

I can't count the number of times in my life that a politician or pastor of some church who was vehemently anti-gay would get caught finally in a motel room with a male hooker.

The bigotry of society warps many minds. Doesn't have to be that way. I hope we are on the way to mending but I doubt it. Mankind seems to need to have someone to be superior to and they just move onto the next one when it is no longer acceptable to pick on their "victim-du jour."

It's not that exmos are "supposed to not be anti-gay," it's that once you learn to re-examine everything and leaving behind what you have been carefully taught, there just isn't any good reason do dislike someone simply because they have a difference.

Date: June 10, 2019 11:06AM

I believe you doth protest a bit too much... *cough,cough*!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 08:08PM

I'm just curious as to why the Charlottesville photo is included because it appears that a lot of people are getting confused and thinking that the photo is showing the parade that is referred to in the story, which it is not and which it apparently has no connection to.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 09:31PM

"Sounds like a MAGA rally. Isn't that what straight pride is? Well, until they're all caught soliciting underage boys in the porta potties."

This comment is generalization, hate and bigotry, which goes unchallenged.

Made by those who complain about generalization, hate and bigotry.

Generalization, hate and bigotry is bad, unless it is the type promoted by this board.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 12:35AM

Don't like it? Report it.

It'll get pulled. But then you wouldn't be a victim anymore, so there's that.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 09:33PM

with the Pioneer Days Parade ;)

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 12:26PM

2 things I'd like to say on this:

1. Good indication that things have never been better for the United States when a major problem we're facing is whether or not everyone should celebrate having equal rights, or only some should.

2. I've been shamed for a lot of my life by my teachers and peers in school for being a straight white male. I've been told that my opinions mean less than others (or aren't welcome at all), that I am an oppressor, that I'm personally responsible for everybody else' problems UNLESS I stand up and "check my straight, white, male privilege." Well, guess what? I refuse to be shamed for being who I am.

I didn't get to choose whether or not I am male, straight, and white. You don't get to tell me whether or not I get to be proud of who I am.

I think showing up to a Straight Pride Parade is not something I'd be interested in. However, I am proud of who I am. There's nothing wrong with that.

Date: June 12, 2019 12:52PM

I’m a straight, white male and I have never gotten shamed for that. However, there is quite a bit of shaming of homosexuals at my high school. It’s really sad to see.

Date: June 12, 2019 12:54PM

You're in high school NOW and you're saying there's "quite a bit of shaming of homosexuals at my high school."

Ok, so I say I was shamed for being a straight, white male. You say you weren't. Ok, guess that makes you less diverse than me or something?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by shaming of homosexuals at your high school? What does that mean exactly? I'm genuinely curious.

Date: June 12, 2019 12:59PM

I’ve seen homosexuals being harassed by people calling them derogatory names and insults targeted at them. I’ve heard of them being black mailed by other people. Also, one gay kid was beaten the day after Trump’s election win. People also commonly say they don’t care for gays that much in school. I’ve reported this before, but the school only gave them detentions, not worse.

Do not respond with this as ‘this is not homophobia’ because it is. I have 99 problems and that is one of them.

Date: June 12, 2019 02:51PM

Also, one gay kid was beaten the day after Trump's election win.

What are you saying? That because Trump was elected some kid felt justified to beat up another kid because he was gay? How do you know this? How do you know they aren't both gay, or that they didn't have legitimate beef? Where are you getting your information? PLEASE SHARE

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 03:00PM

I was actually working in a fast food hell briefly when Trump was elected. The night of the election the two 23 year old excuse for managers came in at 11:30 that night laughing their asses off and telling all the workers "you assholes are about to learn your lesson".

Whatever that means.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 03:00PM by siobhan.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 03:11PM

So you've stated that you, the straight white man, is actually the "true" victim of racism. Please tell us just how hard you life is, how often you experience microaggressions on a regular and daily basis. How government systems aren't actually run by and biased towards straight white men. How hard you struggle to get jobs and education. Please do go on about that.

I'm sure you can relate, due to all of the daily trials and burden of being a straight white man, to the story that valkyriequeen posted at https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2232458,2232525#msg-2232525

Then tell us how the actual and well documented rise in crimes against minorities since Trump was elected has nothing to do with said election. How, because a high school kid doesn't have all the minute details of an actual hate crime that happened in his school, it means that it's no big deal.

You know, because badgering a kid, who has seen this first hand, is always a great thing to do.

I'm sure you'll respond, spluttering about how people have said straight white people, specifically men, are just the worst because other people want similar rights as them. The horror! How dare other people want the same rights and access to resources that you have. Please do, as if that doesn't prove the point.

So, yes, please, do go on. We're all ears.

But I will say, that being a straight white man isn't the problem. They aren't "shaming" you for being a straight white man, they are pointing out your sense of entitlement and inability to understand what others are going through.

I am a straight white man and I've experienced nothing of what you said.

Date: June 12, 2019 08:20PM

Thank you for posting that! I felt comforted reading that post!

Date: June 12, 2019 08:32PM

No problem. I remember what high school was like for me. The world has changed a lot since then, in some ways better, on others worse. Young people like you have enough to deal with. Hang in there!

Date: June 14, 2019 02:40AM

Whoa.

1. I never said I was the "true" victim of racism. I said I was constantly shamed for being white, straight, male, and refusing to apologize for it.

2. I googled microaggressions. I reject your whole premise there.

3. Which government systems specifically are biased toward straight white men? Examples, please.

4. As far as jobs and education, I'm afraid responding to that point will just get this reply reported and deleted. Not taking that bait.

5. The whole hate crime increase thing has been thoroughly debunked. I would refer you to a recent Politifact article specifically addressing this point. (if you're into having your mind changed based on evidence)

6. I fairly recently graduated from high school. I can only tell you my experience. You say you never experienced any of what I did. Ok, how old are you?

Date: June 14, 2019 10:44AM

1. Re-read your point 2... It really sounds like you're saying you're one being being harmed by racism. You may not have said the exact word, but I think my point still stands.

2. What exactly are you rejecting? that microagressions happen? That you have them more than minorities? That their a problem? Are you saying that you don't have it worse off than others?

3. You're joking right? Take your pick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

4. Why? What would you say that would get the post deleted? Do you actually believe that white people have a harder time getting jobs than minorities? I'd love to see some properly researched stats on that.

5. I don't think it has been "thoroughly debunked". Maybe it is sensationalized, but it is there.
"The FBI reported 7,175 incidents of hate crimes in 2017 (the most recent data available). The number of offenses presents a 17 percent increase from 2016, and an uptick for three consecutive years from 5,479 incidents in 2014."

"Finally, there is also some truth to Klobuchar’s statement about the adverse effects of negative rhetoric. After studying the pattern and seasonality in the FBI data, the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism found that "hate crimes have increased in every presidential election year since national FBI recordkeeping began in the early 1990s." In 2016, the spike also corresponded with the election month of November."
- https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/apr/03/hate-crimes-are-increasingly-reported-us/

6. I'm in my 40's. I'm not sure what age has to do with it. You do realize that this has been a problem for years. I will say though our life experiences are likely very different. I don't deny that there are there are people who will automatically judge you for being white. You come across in your post as not just proud of being white, but arrogant.

I do stand by my point that if you listen to what people are saying, people will stop seeing you as "the oppressor" and shaming you. It is possible to "check your straight white male privilege" and still be proud of who you are.

Date: June 14, 2019 11:38AM

Well, I took what you wrote into consideration and walked away for a bit to let it settle before I replied.

I can see why you think I came off as arrogant. I apologize for that.

This kind of conversation generally leads to people talking past each other. There don't have to be two sides to this.

The reality is highly nuanced. I'll continue to look into it.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 11:53AM

honklermaga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I took what you wrote into consideration and
> walked away for a bit to let it settle before I
> replied.
>
> I can see why you think I came off as arrogant. I
> apologize for that.

> The reality is highly nuanced. I'll continue to
> look into it.

Wow. This is a refreshing response. Good to read. Thank you.

That way lies research, information, balance and increased knowledge.

I know more of good use now than I did in my immediate post-high school years. I've read a bit since then.

Carry on. :)

Date: June 14, 2019 12:04PM

I'm learning! :)

Thanks, Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 11:24AM

>> I fairly recently graduated from high school. I can only tell you my experience.

You are very young. I'm in my early 60s. I remember a time (around 1979-80) when a very competent, highly qualified female coworker was told to her face that she wouldn't get a promotion because she was the wrong sex. Not because she wasn't the best person for the job, but because she didn't have the desired gender. Most of the time managers were more circumpect about their discrimination. This was a rare case where it was discussed openly. It was the same way for minorities.

When I was in elementary school, some very brave African American children were going to court with their parents to gain equal access to white schools. Ruby Bridges went to a newly integrated school all by herself for the better part of a year. She was six years old! She walked past angry white crowds every single day.

It was a gradual battle for women and minorities to gain their rights. Although it's a heck of a lot better now than it used to be, things are still not fully equal. You might not see that from where you are at present, but it's the case.

Sexism is built into the structure of the Mormon church. It's not just that only men can hold the priesthood. It's little things such as the Relief Society not being able to set their own agenda, or not being able to decide how funds they raise are spent. The RS has been described by the church as the largest women's organization in the world. Well, it's not. It is not a woman's organization, it is an auxilary of a men's organization. That is a critical difference. In women's organizations (i.e. the Girl Scouts,) *women* decide how things run.

Yes, as a white male, you are privileged. You are priviliged in a way that you can't even begin to comprehend. No one is asking that you wave women and minorities ahead of you in line. What they are asking is that you not shove them out of line because you can. Or that you not disrespect them by ignoring their stuggles to be treated equally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 11:25AM by summer.

Date: June 14, 2019 11:55AM

I appreciate your perspective. I think the only part of the "white privilege" thing that bothers me is that I don't believe in a god.

Since I don't believe in a god, I don't believe any "race" is more special than another. No "chosen people." Nobody gets to claim special privilege over another.

So what you call "white privilege" is simply the spoils of centuries of hard work, innovation, and military/political superiority of western civilization over everyone else.

Everyone's ancestors have been jockeying for pole position since the dawn of man. Everyone's ancestors have enslaved everyone else's ancestors. Everyone's ancestors have fought for dominion of natural resources and human capital.

And some have historically been better at it than others. What I find amazing is that those on the top have decided to give up the pole position. It's awesome.

So no, I don't think I have white privilege. Privilege is defined as "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group."

There is no god in a position to grant white people special privilege. So what you mean when you say white privilege is really the spoils of war.

Yes, my ancestors have historically been better at war than everyone else. Now those spoils are being gladly shared by the vast majority of the victors, but instead of celebrating how incredible that is, the ruling class continues to divide us by convincing us that we're each other's biggest problem.

TL;DR
Only something that transcends humans can give some select humans privilege over others. Otherwise, it's just a free-for-all and some races have done better at war and dominion than others. We're all equal and always have been from our lowly primate origins. We should celebrate the fact that we all collectively decided (with some exceptions on all sides, btw) to live together in peace and harmony. This is a beautiful country, and there's never been a better time to be alive.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 12:18PM

Great post, summer, as so often from you. You have a knack for succinct statements of complex issues.

You said:

"Yes, as a white male, you are privileged. You are priviliged in a way that you can't even begin to comprehend. No one is asking that you wave women and minorities ahead of you in line. What they are asking is that you not shove them out of line because you can. Or that you not disrespect them by ignoring their stuggles to be treated equally."

I appreciate all those speaking out describing their positions and struggles as I too was largely unaware of some of even the basic issues for some people. There are many voices now expressing their realities and it's only fair to listen and try to comprehend. They are louder now, at least to me, and I hope they find strength and encouragement in their numbers.

I have always been immensely aware of how privileged I have been. Even though my father arrived here from overseas as the typical blue collar worker, without a bankroll, the opportunities for him were unlimited, certainly in comparison to other folks and other places. He settled in a beautiful part of the world and worked his way up to a good job and satisfactory income. We never wanted for anything as kids. I felt rich in all ways. I haven't even struggled due to my gender, although I've never tested that. But I can recognize that is not the reality for all.

It can be risky and difficult and intimidating for people to speak out. All the more reason to listen and try to understand what they're saying.

Not shoving people out of line is an amazing and memorable visual to describe the overall picture, summer. I will think of it often now.

I've always been thankful for my parents teaching us to think of others and see different points of view. I think that is one of the central pillars that helped me to avoid being subsumed for a lifetime by fundy religion, which is where as a teen I landed for a time (inexplicably, as a JW). I could see inequity, shunning, shaming, judgement (both for their own people and towards outsiders) and it didn't feel right. I didn't fit into any religious environment that spurned LGBTQ people because that is so obviously blatantly discriminatory and hateful. So in those ways I have been out in the cold church-wise, which has been a thing for me but still not a life/death basic daily struggle as it is for those directly affected by oppression, in society as a whole, not just within religion.

Still, I didn't really get it all until the voices got louder and more attention was garnered. It seems appalling that we're well into this 'modern' century but still beset by age-old tribalism and inequality.

I love Canada, where many do care about marginalized groups and historical injustices and hopefully we're continuing to move in the direction of recompense as far as possible, more understanding, and better opportunities for all.

But still, all too many get shoved out of the line, or never reach it in the first place. I will carry that visual from now on, summer, and try to do more to foster change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 12:40PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 10:42PM

Chick-fil-A for all!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.