Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 11:40AM

Our daughter who moved to southern California just now texted us. She said: "So I'm sitting at a stoplight and out of nowhere this big meteor from the sky drops on my windshield going 10,000 mph. Now I have a huge circular meteor mark on my windshield. Do I call my insurance?" We told her, not only to call them, but the call the news also. She's so lucky to be alive and uninjured! This is the same daughter who was helping at the scene of an accident and got hit by a car going 40 mph and no injuries. When I got my composure, I said it would make a great Farmer's Insurance commercial!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmi ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 12:39PM

I hope she kept it. Meteorites are worth money, especially if it can be documented that they were involved in some kind of incident, like hitting a person or car.

Is she sure it was a meteor and not a rock kicked up by a truck?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 12:49PM

Right. Something could have dropped from a plane or building or from a passing car.

I hope she has the meteorite! How interesting and dangerous. I'm so glad she is OK.

I have a box full of "addendums" to my car policy of things they decided they won't pay for. I wonder if they have some fine print that meteors are acts of God and they only pay if one hits your car at 12 noon. Hopefully only the windshield needs replacement.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 04:35PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if they have some fine print that meteors
> are acts of God...

I know that's a legal expression but I'd just as soon leave God out of this. I call this "an act of cosmic coincidence."

Date: June 07, 2019 04:53PM

I doubt insurance companies care what you like to call it.

I think it is a bad term, but I doubt they will change it anytime soon.

Date: June 07, 2019 12:46PM

Well, she was stopped at a red light and said it dropped out of no where from the sky. We’re so so relieved that she wasn’t injured or killed.

Date: June 07, 2019 12:53PM

Only the windshield needs replacement; the first thing I pictured was the insurance commercial where a drone hits a windshield! :D

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 12:54PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 01:20PM

I had a simular experience. I was stopped at a stop sign in a rural area, windows rowed down.

All of a sudden something hits a nearby concrete power pole hard enough to send parts of it through my open window striking my arm.

Could it have been a meteorite? Possibly. It could also have been a stray bullet.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 01:52PM

I am so glad she was not hit! That was a close call.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 03:23PM

Frozen pee, either from ghawd or an airplane.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 04:04PM

Boeing bomb. Peanut’s a dead giveaway.

Date: June 07, 2019 03:31PM

LOL! :D

Date: June 07, 2019 03:36PM

We'll look for her on the local news!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 03:56PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> We'll look for her on the local news!

Do we know if she actually is "local"?

Date: June 07, 2019 04:48PM

SoCal, baby! Everything is local from south of Lancaster to Camp Pendleton, and from the ocean to Indio.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 03:51PM

OM goodness gracious, that would've scared the bejeepers out've me. That's good she is alright, but she may well be traumatized. What an ordeal.

If it was a meteorite, would she even be able to save it, or did someone else retrieve it before she could? That would be the last thing I would've thought of. Hmm, let's see if I can haul that meteorite into my car before I leave the scene of the accident so I can get it weighed and appraised. ...

But I will think of that now in the event one ever hits my car !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 03:53PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 01:25AM

An object traveling at 10,000mph left a mark on her windshield ?
Nonsensical story. F = MA

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 03:56PM

Never let the facts ruin a good story. Didn’t Joe teach you anything?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 01:39AM

ziller can confirm this thred ~

ziller am big meteor ~

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 01:40AM

That's how fast meteorites go Dave. Are you questioning her story? They make windshields tough these days.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 02:05PM

felix Wrote:
> That's how fast meteorites go Dave.

So, all meteorites travel at the same speed? All the time? Assuming this was a meteorite--which there is no proof for--it is travelling at zero miles per hour now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 11:47AM

I was driving down Ogden canyon from Powder Mountain. You have to cross a bridge and you go past a place they've blasted out the side of the mountain. We looked up and this rock was hurling towards us and it hit the windshield and shattered it. It didn't come through--bounced off. My brother was sitting in the seat it would have hit.

There was an incident just a few years ago where rocks in this same area hit some cars and I think some people died. I'd have to look it up.

https://kutv.com/news/local/udot-survey-to-be-done-where-rock-fell-critically-injured-man-in-ogden-canyon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 11:49AM by cl2.

Date: June 09, 2019 10:09AM

That would've been so scary. What a relief no one was physically injured in that.

That drive down Logan canyon from Garden City into Logan scared the bejeepers out of me driving there in 2016. Those roadways were blasted out of rock in the mountainside/canyon. It was such a winding narrow canyon road with the Bear River running next to it on either side depending which way the road curved, that it seemed to go on forever. Until after 45 miles of that, there was finally an end in sight once daylight reappeared and the canyon flushed out to a flatter roadway, and there appeared the foot of Logan.

I could see falling rock happening on that drive. But in the wintertime, which it was not, would be treacherous enough by virtue of the ice and snow.

One of my cousins, who lives in Preston but works in Logan has told me that the drive between Garden City and Logan is preferential by far than the other one connecting Garden City to Logan. That is through the Caribou Forest on the Idaho side. It is so treacherous and narrow a road that even on good days there is barely enough room for one car to get through, let alone two. Especially when the other vehicle happens to be an 18-wheeler using it as a connecting roadway. They come barreling through there like there's no tomorrow, and there's no room for the other cars to get off the road to let them by.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 10:15AM by Amyjo.

Date: June 09, 2019 01:23PM

The Bear river goes nowhere near Logan Canyon.

Date: June 09, 2019 02:23PM

Mm, interesting. This is where the Bear River starts and ends:

"From its source the Bear River flows north cutting across the southwest corner of Wyoming passing through Evanston then weaving along the Utah-Wyoming state line as it flows north. It turns northwest into Bear Lake County, Idaho, and flows through the Bear Lake Valley in Idaho, past Montpelier where it receives the short Bear Lake Outlet Canal that drains Bear Lake, which straddles the Idaho-Utah border. At Soda Springs, near the north end of the Wasatch Range, the Bear River turns abruptly south, flowing past Preston in the broad Cache Valley that extends north from Logan, Utah. It re-enters northern Utah, meandering south past Cornish and Newton. It is impounded to form the Cutler Reservoir, where it receives the Little Bear River from the south. From the west end of Cutler Reservoir it flows south through the Bear River Valley of Utah past Bear River City. It receives the Malad River from the north just before emptying into the mud flats of a broad bay on the east side of the Great Salt Lake, approximately 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Brigham City.

Bear River was once a tributary of the Snake River, but lava flows north of Soda Springs, Idaho, diverted it into what was then Lake Bonneville.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16]" (wiki)

Whereas, "The Logan River rises in the Bear River Mountains in Idaho and flows south, then southwest through Logan Canyon and the Wasatch-Cache National Forest to the city of Logan, Utah, in the Cache Valley." (wiki)

I was told by locals passing through there it was part of the Bear River along the Hwy 89 route.

Date: June 09, 2019 03:40PM

Oh, Dave, you got a lot of 'splaining to do!!!

Date: June 09, 2019 05:11PM

I stand by my statement.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:26AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> The Bear river goes nowhere near Logan Canyon.

Interesting. I wonder why they decided to call the mountains the bear river range, then. Must have been a mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 12:26AM by Aloysius.

Date: June 09, 2019 09:26PM

And I stand by wikipedia's and the locals. I knew it. The Logan River is a tributary of the Little Bear River in Utah. They are part of the same river. The locals aka the natives know their rivers !

"The Logan River is a 53.7-mile-long (86.4 km)[3] tributary of the Little Bear River in Utah, the United States. ....

The Logan River rises in the Bear River Mountains in Idaho and flows south, then southwest through Logan Canyon and the Wasatch-Cache National Forest to the city of Logan, Utah, in the Cache Valley. In this valley it joins the Little Bear River a few miles west of Logan and about 5 miles (8 km) south of where the Little Bear River joins the Bear River."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 09:37PM by Amyjo.

Date: June 09, 2019 11:11PM

The Logan river is not the Bear river.

Date: June 09, 2019 11:30PM

I don't know what part you didn't get. That the Logan River is a tributary of the Little Bear River. And that it runs into the Bear River.

According to you they have nothing in common and weren't even close in proximity. You were wrong on both counts.

If you're going to act like a know-it-all, then presume to know something about the Bear River and its tributaries.

Which you obviously don't know diddly squat about the Logan River and its connection to the Bear River. They are close in fact and in proximity.

Date: June 10, 2019 12:07AM

Apparently it is you who doesn't know didly squat.

look familiar ? ...

"That drive down Logan canyon from Garden City into Logan scared the bejeepers out of me driving there in 2016. Those roadways were blasted out of rock in the mountainside/canyon. It was such a winding narrow canyon road with the Bear River running next to it on either side depending which way the road curved, that it seemed to go on forever. Until after 45 miles of that, there was finally an end in sight once daylight reappeared and the canyon flushed out to a flatter roadway, and there appeared the foot of Logan."

Date: June 10, 2019 12:13AM

The Logan River is a part of the Bear River. It was the locals who told me it was the Bear River winding through the Logan Canyon, in fact.

For those who know the geography of the land, they would be correct. It is part of the Bear River, because it is a tributary.

You said it goes nowhere near the Bear River. But they are part of the same river, and they are close in proximity.

They run into each other as well. You must've missed that part of your geography lesson.

It must be hard to be a know-it-all. Especially when you're proven wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 12:15AM by Amyjo.

Date: June 10, 2019 12:31AM

Have you proven me wrong ?
Looks likes you are committing the logical fallacy of moving the goalpost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 12:33AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:39AM

Indeed.

Date: June 10, 2019 04:20PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Have you proven me wrong ?
> Looks likes you are committing the logical fallacy
> of moving the goalpost.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2231080,2231524#msg-2231524

Yes I have proven the Bear River runs near the Logan Canyon.

And thanks to Aloysius I also now know that the Logan Canyon is also known as the Bear River Mountain Range throughout.

Not a coincidence, I think.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2231080,2231705#msg-2231705

Date: June 10, 2019 05:12PM

> Yes I have proven the Bear
> River runs near the Logan
> Canyon.

And Disneyland is near San Diego!

It all depends on one's perspective.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"The Logan River rises in the Bear River Mountains in Idaho and flows 53.7 miles south, then southwest through Logan Canyon and the Wasatch-Cache National Forest to the city of Logan, Utah, in the Cache Valley.

"In this valley, it joins the Little Bear River a few miles west of Logan and about 5 miles (8 km) south of where the Little Bear River joins the Bear River."

If you were on foot, the Bear River and the Logan River would not be considered to be close to each other.

And this dispute arose because you said, and then chose to defend said statement:

"That drive down Logan canyon from Garden City into Logan scared the bejeepers out of me driving there in 2016. Those roadways were blasted out of rock in the mountainside/canyon. It was such a winding narrow canyon road with the Bear River running next to it on either side depending which way the road curved, that it seemed to go on forever."

You were driving next to the Logan River. You say some "locals" told you they called it the Bear River. And so you're back to contributing to your legend. Here's a joke: I'm surprised you didn't tell us that a dead relative appeared to you and told you that it is, indeed, the Bear River.

And when you look on Google Earth, it's quite clear that the river you were driving next to, down Hwy 89, is the Logan River. There is nothing in the canyon along Hwy 89 that would allow the river to be referenced as anything other than the Logan River.

The Logan River is a tributary waterway, meaning that it ends where it joins a bigger waterway, in this case, the Little Bear River, which itself is a tributary of the Bear River. Each is a separate entity until it is subsumed by the larger waterway.

The Bear River and the Logan River are two distinctly different waterways and whoever the 'locals' were with whom you chatter, they were simply wrong. Maybe they were pulling your leg?

Here are the geographical facts, not that facts ever were a burden to you:

States: Utah, Idaho
Counties Cache County, Utah, Franklin County, Idaho

Physical characteristics
Source
⁃ location east of Preston, Franklin County, Idaho
⁃ coordinates 42°02′07″N 111°35′58″W
⁃ elevation 8,096 ft (2,468 m)

Termination
Little Bear River
⁃ location west of Logan, Cache County, Utah
⁃ coordinates 41°44′29″N 111°57′17″W
⁃ elevation 4,413 ft (1,345 m)

Length 54 mi (87 km)

These are simple facts. You see where the river originates, at 8,096 feet above sea level, and it flows 54 miles, down the canyon, until it comes out onto the plain, meanders around and then joins the Little Bear River, at a level of 4,413 feet above sea level. For those 54 miles, it is the Logan River. And only the Logan River.

This is pretty basic stuff!

Date: June 10, 2019 05:51PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> > Yes I have proven the Bear
> > River runs near the Logan
> > Canyon.
>
> And Disneyland is near San Diego!

Disneyland is nowhere near as close to San Diego as the Logan River is to the Bear River. Several miles is all that separates the tributary before it intersects with the larger river.
>
> It all depends on one's perspective.
>
>
> Here's what Wikipedia says:
>
> "The Logan River rises in the Bear River Mountains
> in Idaho and flows 53.7 miles south, then
> southwest through Logan Canyon and the
> Wasatch-Cache National Forest to the city of
> Logan, Utah, in the Cache Valley.
>
> "In this valley, it joins the Little Bear River a
> few miles west of Logan and about 5 miles (8 km)
> south of where the Little Bear River joins the
> Bear River."
I know, I already posted that. You took that from my post.
>
Regardless, they are connected because they are part of the same river waterway. The Logan River is a part of the Bear River, it is only a minor tributary of the same. They originate from the Bear River Springs in Wyoming. The main river channels down through another waterway but still nearby the same channel that the Logan tributary passes through - one through the Caribou and Malad/Oneida counties. Where the Logan runs through the Utah/Garden City where the Southeast corner of Idaho connects to the Northeast corner of Utah and Southwest corner of Wyoming where it flows down into the Logan canyon before connecting up with the Bear River on its way to the Great Salt Lake.

That the Logan river feeds into the Little Bear River tributary doesn't negate that they are both tributaries of the same Bear River from the Bear River Mountains in Wyoming. Or that the Logan Canyon is a part of the same Bear River Mountain Range that Aloysius identified in her post.

The definition of a tributary is "A tributary or affluent is a stream or river that flows into a larger stream or main stem (or parent) river or a lake. A tributary does not flow directly into a sea or ocean." (wiki)

The Logan and Little Bear are tributaries of the Bear River. The Bear River is the PARENT River. Which is why they are the feeder streams/rivers.

"The larger, or parent, river is called the mainstem. The point where a tributary meets the mainstem is called the confluence." National Geographic

They are part of the same feeder system, in other words. And the Bear River is the parent ie, main event.

That's based on common knowledge.

Date: June 10, 2019 06:10PM

What a stretch.

Tributaries have names. Those names are to distinguish them from others, including where they end up or originate. They are not interchangeable no matter how many wiki quotes you try to dig up to obfuscate your error. Just fess up and move on. Sheesh.

Date: June 10, 2019 08:20PM

It's still part of the same system.

Which is what was the discussion was about. Was the Logan River part of the Bear River or not.

Sheesh is right.

Get on topic if you're going to.

Point of discussion was the Logan Canyon, like the Logan River was nowhere near the Bear River. But they are because they are conjoined and part of the same system and separated by only several miles at most.

Date: June 10, 2019 06:12PM

> That's based on common knowledge.

what's not so common is your desire to be seen as incapable of error. And simply saying the phrase, "common knowledge" doesn't make it so.

The start and end of the Logan River are referenced above. From its start, at the noted geographic point, until its end, again at a noted geographic point, 54 miles apart, it is the Logan River. It is the Logan River you were driving next to as you traveled down Hwy 18. You made a silly mistake by calling it the Bear River and Dave the Atheist teased you and you have made an interesting display as you've tried defended yourself: "Some Locals" "Common knowledge" "They're close"

Just as the Missouri River NEVER gets called the Missippippi River, despite being a tributary of the mighty father of waters, so, too, the 54 miles long Logan River has no other names for that distance.

Date: June 10, 2019 06:45PM

Wait--

I called the Missouri the Mississippi in an earlier post. But it got deleted.

Probably because it was stupid.

Date: June 10, 2019 06:57PM

I hate when there are limits placed on how silly I can be!

Date: June 10, 2019 08:21PM

There are no limits to stupidity. No need to fret.

Date: June 10, 2019 08:50PM

Whoosh.

Date: June 11, 2019 10:52AM

This thread took a big detour. *LOL*

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 11:30PM

Just wow!

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 03:17PM

Wow! Impressive! That money she earned from a meteorite discovery (if confirmed) won’t be spent on tithing!

Date: June 11, 2019 11:09AM

I've been wondering how in the world my daughter's car left the streets of San Diego and managed to get floating down a couple of different rivers! :D When she said that whatever it was was going 10,000 mph, of course that was an exaggerated way of saying it dropped pretty fast. She said that it left a huge circular mark on her windshield on her side (the driver's side). Luckily, it didn't go through and kill her (like what happened to that poor woman who had a frozen turkey dropped on her car by a couple of morons). I don't think a rock would leave a circular mark; no one knows what it was for certain. Just grateful she is alive to tell about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.