Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 04:22PM

Today, the Trib published an article of why BYU, the church, LDS politicians, etc. fought so hard to keep reports investigating a BYU cop's behavior quiet. He was an Honor Code rat. And a perv. There is no Honor at BYU. Truly disgusting. On some many levels.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/06/07/byu-lieutenant-was-under/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 04:32PM

Public safety, pubic safety, what’s the difference?

Date: June 07, 2019 04:58PM

What should be an eye opener, for anyone not from Utah, is that the AG (BYU alum) Governor (high school drop out-LDS), Judge (BYU alum) prosecutors(BYU alums) etc. etc., abdicated their responsibilities and oath to office, to protect the church and its school. Not surprising to those that have lived in Utah for any length of time, but should show the rest of the country how corrupt the mormon cabal is in Utah.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 05:00PM

Let's hope the BYU police force is disbanded. That would send a potent message to the church and the community.

Date: June 07, 2019 04:57PM

Wow. Thank you for this.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 05:06PM

Trib writes
But Rhoades’ attorney disputes that allegation. Derek Williams said in a statement Friday that his client was looking at sex assault reports in order to understand the trends and occurrences in nearby areas. He taught a women’s self defense class on campus, Williams said, and used the information from those police reports to assist in classroom instruction.

If he was only looking at seeing what the trends were he would not have to print out the reports.
He could just run a search for sexual related crimes and and compare that against non sexual crimes to see the trend. Key words could be attempted rape, rape, assault, drunk and disorderly etc... No need to print out reports just the numbers of reports filed for the keywords searched for.
He would not need to search specific names for this activity.

What p*** poor excuse. I could drive a freight train through the holes in that excuse.

Date: June 07, 2019 05:14PM

The scary part is that he did this for 30+ years. No telling how many student's lives he ruined in his ratting career.

Posted by: sistermargarita ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 05:42PM

BYU is so concerned with students following their honor code "law" but not so much about following the actual law.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 05:46PM

But for mormons, the "actual law" is ghawd's law, as interpreted by his butler and sometimes footstool, Rusty Nelson.

Date: June 07, 2019 05:58PM

This is doubtless a political digression, though the politics is that of 3,500 years ago.

Autodidact that you are, you inevitably remember those OT passages that speak of "making my enemies my foot stool." Well, it was a thing.

If you go into the National Museum in Cairo, which is a huge warehouse with no air conditioning and very little security, just inside the entrance is a fascinating piece of sculpture. It is a cubic block of black stone carved to indicate a human who is tied tightly and excruciatingly into the shape and size of a footstool. It turns out that the pharaohs actually did that. They would take high-ranking prisoners and use them as ceremonial leg rests.

It probably wasn't very comfortable and I doubt Russell would put up with it. He's worked far too long and hard to let a mere deity push him around.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 06:18PM

I betcha he does it for Wendy!

ET Correct: As Southern Lamanite, I am a manueldidact; means exactly the same, but is more evocative of my plaintive circumstances. <heavy sigh>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 06:23PM by elderolddog.

Date: June 07, 2019 06:21PM

She probably uses those padded handcuffs as well. . .

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 09:37PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But for mormons, the "actual law" is ghawd's law,
> as interpreted by his butler and sometimes
> footstool, Rusty Nelson.

. . . except they do claim to believe in being subject to kings rulers, magistrates, et al, and in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

Date: June 07, 2019 09:47PM

". . . except they do claim to believe in being subject to kings rulers, magistrates, et al, and in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

Only not in Utah, where they are kings, rulers, magistrates, etc. Then, it's "Do as I say, not as I do".

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 07, 2019 06:47PM

Sucks.

I hope he goes to the slammer close to Jeffs...

Date: June 07, 2019 07:03PM

No way. He was allowed to retire (with full benefits). The Utah County DA didn't act and closed the case. The Utah AG won't act either.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 11:49AM

The so-called honor code is why I would N E V E R !!! attend BYU

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 03:55AM

Has the church always been using its BYU arm to tap into police database inquiries on any members that might be accused of speaking ill of it's leaders?

Not trying to push a big brother conspiracy, but it seems that the church loves to keep tabs and dig up dirt on members that might be inflicting harm on the church. Even before the internet, it seems that the church has always been obsessed on obtaining data about its members.

Date: June 09, 2019 02:34PM

No offense intended. Have you ever lived in Utah? If so, you'd know that the church runs the state. Better than any iron curtain ruler could hope for. They scan your driver's license at bars and restaurants (my personal fight against authority is to show them my passport.) It goes into a database that no official can tell you whom has access. You know that info is given to the church. There's not many Utah PD's that aren't headed by mormons. People, that haven't lived here, think that what I stated is BS. That no state in the USA could be run as a theocracy like Utah. But, it's true.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:23PM

That’s creepy. More power to you for using a passport. I’ll keep this in mind if I visit Utah and go to a bar.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:04PM

honor code violations. Someone over on don's fb page posted that they were using the system to check on members, too, like bishops and sp.

There was a columnist named Jack Anderson some years ago whose column my dad read. He wrote a column about being called in by the leaders because his car had been found parked in a polygamist meetinghouse parking lot as they had checked the license plates. I do know they checked license plates of the gay bath houses in SLC, too. JA had been doing investigation work.

Boy, they must have quite the network watching us.

Yes, Utah is like stillanon said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 09:05PM by cl2.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 11:08PM

They must have the best license plate scanning systems money can buy. Helps me sleep better at night, how ‘bout you?

Date: June 09, 2019 11:49PM

Jack Anderson was an important man. He was Mormon, taught Sunday School, but was far from toeing the line. His persistent investigative journalism contributed to Nixon's fall from power, and he ran as a presidential candidate against, I believe, Reagan.

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:23PM

It’s sad to see so many people (politicians, churches, people, etc.) protect rapists and sex offenders.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 11:52AM

Remember that the church had the Council of Fifty, which ran a shadow government with its own laws behind the backs of the federal territorial authorities. Mormons have always believed in their own exceptionalism, and have never thought that laws applied to them, particularly in Utah, where police and judges are invariably Mormon.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 10:04PM

If your students have honor you don't need an enforcement office, if you believe you need an enforcement office then you have no faith in the honor of your students.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.