Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 11:33PM

So I'm driving around The Springs today and I am near the Broadmoor when I came across a beer festival sponsored by a local episcopal church. The field next to the church was filled with event tents and booths providing food and beer. A lot of people were paying the admission and filing through the gate. The event was billed as "Feast of Saint Arnold - Patron Saint of Beer". Yeah, I've never heard of Saint Arnold either. What a great way to attract "investigators". Maybe mormonism needs to think about doing this. Nah ... It would never happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|} ( )
Date: June 08, 2019 11:38PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_of_Soissons

"As abbot in Oudenburg, Arnold brewed beer, as essential in medieval life as water. He encouraged local peasants to drink beer, instead of water, due to its "gift of health." During the process of brewing, the water was boiled and thus, unknown to all, freed of pathogens, making the beer safer to drink. The beer normally consumed at breakfast and during the day at this time in Europe was called small beer, having a very low alcohol content, and containing spent yeast. It is likely that people in the local area normally consumed small beer from the monastery, or made their own small beer at the instructions of Arnold and his fellow monks. During one outbreak of sickness, Arnold advised the local people to avoid consuming water, in favor of beer, which advice effectively saved lives.[5]

One miracle tale says, at the time of an epidemic, rather than stand by while the local people fell ill from drinking water, Arnold had them consume his monastery brews. Because of this, many people in his church survived the plague.[6] This same story is also told of Arnulf or Arnold of Metz, another patron of brewers. There are many depictions of St. Arnold with a mashing rake in his hand, to identify him. He is honoured in July with a parade in Brussels on the "Day of Beer."[7] "

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 11:35AM

Come to Houston...… We have the Saint Arnold's Brewery here. Making St. Arnold beer in various blends. Good stuff.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:10PM

in ~ on st. arnold brewery thred ~

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:26PM

Mormon.....St. Laverl, patron saint of sherbet ice cream punch.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 04:27PM

Cool. The Golden Bee is a good place to hang. Also, Mass Transit, Red Rocket, Laughing Lab and Old #23 (when they make it) are great beers from local CS brewer, Bristol Brewing Co. Tell Mike and Amanda that I said "Hi".

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 11:15AM

I could never figure out why mass transit beer has a picture of a volkswagen van on it. A transit bus would be better.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 11:30AM

Their first brew master, Chandler Bruning (killed while qualifying for the Pike's Peak Auto Hill Climb) loved VW vans. Old # 23 is a tribute to his Dad, Ralph.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 11:43AM

I had an uncle named Arnold. I will drink a beer in his name, and give him sainthood this weekend.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.