Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 12:28PM

Does your reading lighten up during the Summer months? Read more outdoors than indoors? Deck, beach or camping spot? What are you reading this Summer?

Five from my list:

Klapisch & Solotaroff: Inside The Empire

Susan Sontag: Later Essays

Joan Didion: We Tell Ourselves Stories In Order To Live

John O’Hara: Stories

Eve Babitz: Slow Days, Fast Company

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 02:18PM

HOLD STILL, by Sally Mann.
Very good biography of the photographer who is controversial at times for the photographs of her kids nude around the house and at play. An excellent photographer, the book is more than a biography, it is a look into a driven and creative mind of one of the worlds top photographers alive today.

THIS LAND: An American Portrait, by Jack Spencer. Large book of fine images of North America - USA. Interesting work. Not "tourist" photos. The man is excellent.

GENESIS, by Sebastaio Salgado. Another photo book. This one B&W images by the Brazilian Photographer. Years of documenting tragedy and conflict left him physically ill. Then he went to Nature photography and let the healing take over. An impressive book by on of the greats today.

Then, for mental junk food the JESSE STONE novels by Robert. B. Parker - along with watching the full 9 movies of them starring Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone, Police Chief of Paradise, Massachussets. The writing is spare, direct and to the point. Nothing wasted on fluff or overly long descriptions anywhere.
The movies are morose, clean and well set up. None of the current "camera operator having an epileptic fit while on speed, jumping on a pogo stick" crap. The musical score is morose, quiet and even depressing at times, fitting for a main character who has major alcohol problems and can't get past the divorced wife.

The Jesse Stone movies have been cast well. Selleck IS the Police Chief, not just seeming to be in a part. The scenes are often laid out as still images with the characters in them, not sloppy or frenetic in any sense of the word. Quiet, contemplative and direct - a joy to watch.

BASEBALL, by Ken Burns. The video series. All 10 innings. I like it even more than THE CIVIL WAR. Well done, a lot of historical photographs and cinema clips from the past. Good information and a time trip to the history of the game. For me, well worth seeing more than a few times.

Date: June 09, 2019 03:17PM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> BASEBALL, by Ken Burns. The video series. All 10
> innings. I like it even more than THE CIVIL WAR.
> Well done, a lot of historical photographs and
> cinema clips from the past. Good information and a
> time trip to the history of the game. For me, well
> worth seeing more than a few times.

Ken Burns has created propaganda of the absolute worst kind, for example his work about the Vietnam war. But this, BASEBALL, is propaganda of the very best kind. Definitely worthy of a 2nd viewing, all 10 innings, and definitely belongs in a thread about books.

His work on Jazz is pretty good, too. Baseball and jazz, two of America’s best cultural gifts to the world.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:34PM

One man’s propaganda is another man’s comedy gold. The NASSA documentary by “Not Ken Burns” wouldn’t be possible today, but for its time was fabulous writing.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 04:48PM

I have been reading Good Omens (partly on the back of the recent series). I had forgotten that I had bought a copy. I read about fifty pages last night before I went to sleep - seems a quick read.

This will have been the first book by Terry Pratchett, or Neil Gaiman, which I have read fully.

I have also been dipping into Oahspe - see earlier thread. But tough going and probably not worth my time.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:10PM

I just finished The Power by Naomi Alderman. Wow. It's still playing with my head.

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:39PM

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

CES Letter

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 06:07PM

"The Hero's Journey" by Joseph Campbell

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 06:35PM

Love mythology. I read them whole series years ago. Some of his views are disputed though

Date: June 11, 2019 07:32PM

I read Campbell and was a bit uninspired by it. I suspect this was not Campbell's fault, so much as the fact his ideas have been so widely primulgated, and so I didn't find them fresh when I encountered them in his books.

Date: June 09, 2019 06:12PM

The Mystery of the Princes,Troy, Lioness, a biography of Golda Meir and some assorted mysteries and thrilers.I have also!ordered a book and the second generation Kennedys and Carly Simon's book about her friendship with Jackie Onassis

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 07:26PM

Educated, by Tara Westover.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 01:11PM

I'm also enjoying Educated. I can't put it down.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 01:02AM

Surprised to find the author's mother on FB promoting her herbals and essential oils. Seems to be a thriving company.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 01:11AM

"Educated" Tara Westover

"Where the Crawdad's Sing" Delia Owens

"Firefly Lane" Kristin Hannah

"Miracle Creek" Angie Kim

"Everything I Never Told You" Celeste Ng

"The Kitchen House" Kathleen Grissom

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:24PM

Currently reading (a) the Tyranny of Guilt: An Essay on Western Masochism by Pascal Brucker. French philosopher on the tendency of westerners, particularly Europeans, to constantly wallow in guilt for the past behavior of their cultures/ancestors. (B) the Rubber Band by Rex Stout. An old Nero Wolfe mystery novel. The Bruckner is sort of heavy, been reading in spurts.

During commutes etc I'm listening to Will Patton reading Robicheaux by James Lee Burke. Another mystery novel

I haven't ever noticed seasonal or other trends in what I read. Whatever looks interesting at the moment.

Other recent reads include

Fascism: A Very Short Introduction by Kevin Passmore.

When Genius Failed by Roger Lowenstein. About a hedge fund staffed with Ivy League and Nobel brainiacs that collapsed very suddenly despite their very clever math equations and predictions

Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, an old favorite I reread occasionally

The Great Forgetting by James Renner. Sci-fi suspense. Sort of.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 03:30PM

Glad you are reading him but books by James Lee Burke are never "another mystery". His beautiful and descriptive writing sets him apart from popular writers. I have read everything he has written and I view him as the best American writer of fiction at the present time.

Currently reading Lawrence Block's novella "Resume Speed." For rereads I like to go back to the Hornblower series by C. S. Forester and the books of Robert B. Parker.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 03:54PM

Oy, laddie, have ye nae read Reginald Hill's Dalziel/Pascoe novels, then?

Wot's wrong with ye? Have ye gone batty then?

I'm also a graduate of the C.S. Forester School of High Seas Navigation! "Ha-hmm!" I didn't grow up to be too much like Hornblower, but he's in me, somewhere... You can't love reading the entire oeuvre and not be influenced.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 06:04PM

Not up on Dalziel and Pascoe. Probably too influenced by the TV series that I did not care for. The writer would have to go some to top Burke's literary standard. If you like British writers I would highly recommend the Bernie Gunther novels of the late Philip Kerr. Kerr has Gunther, a German police inspector, engaged in all kinds of scrapes involving people from Goebbels to Somerset Maugham. Terrific stuff IMV.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 06:29PM

Kerr is very good. Another great author is Alan Furst, who sets his stories in remarkably accurate historical contexts.

Going further, Eric Ambler did some great stuff in roughly the same genre; and then there are some of Graham Greene's novels. A little earlier were John Buchan's very good stories and even some of Conrad's books, like the Confidential Agent.

I suspect you are familiar with many of these. The Dog's tastes may run in this direction as well.

Date: June 16, 2019 06:51PM

I don't seek good reading; I let it find me. It suits my willy-nilly nature.

My favourite English writer is Dorothy L. Sayers. This will never change.

Date: June 16, 2019 07:00PM

I will partake. Which would be a good one to cut one's teeth on?

You should try some of those others, though. I think you would like the combination of elegance, emotional insight, cynicism, and history. That's the secret to good spy stories, is it not? You read a thoroughly engaging tale and then realize, "Wow, this is so much more than a spy story!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2019 07:11PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: June 16, 2019 07:47PM

"Strong Poison", in which he meets the love of his life (1930), and then "Gaudy Night" (1935), in which she finally yields to his blandishments. I am a hopeless romantic. "Gaudy Night" is a murder mystery with no death.

A couple of John Lecarré's novels left me mute and drained.

Date: June 09, 2019 09:51PM

Agusta St. Claowbn: "The Efficacy of Ethical Effevence"

Traggert D'Angelitila: "Eight Attempts, Seven Failures, or How I learned to Changed My Own Oil."

Moonbeam Fricatta: "Crystals and Being"

William Calvin: "The River That Flows Uphill"

There are days I read a book a day. It's easy with Libby. Of course they are books that are fun and that I can't put down because I just have to see how they end!

If any of you are fans of fun Sci/Fi, I'd like to recommend a 16 book series, with some spin-offs: "Date Night on Union Station". I'm on Amazon's read-for-free plan. I've read the first 15 at least twice. I recently finished the 16th and the three spin-offs to date. I found them to be very, very satisfying in this genre. Yes, the good guys win. I'll give you a taste: A beloved dog reincarnates! Talk about happy times!!! Jesu Cristo, I'm tearing just thinking about it...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:27PM

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

The Book of Night Women by Marlon James

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:48AM

The Wedding Guest (Jonathan Kellerman - I love his stuff).

Notorious RBG

Shortest Way Home - Pete Buttegieg

Next up: Where the Crawdads Sing (Delia Owens) and Redemption by David Baldacci

Oh, the joys of Kindle!

I feel like a kid who has been turned loose in the Kindle store with Daddy's credit card! Actually, it's MY credit card, but it seems pretty painless. I LOVE Kindle! And if my eyes get too tired to read, I listen to favorite authors on CD versions of books I have already read and still enjoy.

Is it really "gluttony," if what you devour is books??

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 09:33AM

No!!!!

Books were the one thing we could ask for as kids and the parents would purchase no questions asked. I still feel that way about filling my Kindle. It's a book.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 11:59PM

I've loved Jonathan Kellerman since his first work and have read most of his stuff since the beginning. I read The Wedding Guest when it first came out and was less impressed than some of his work and I can't remember why.

I just requested it from the local library to see what I missed the first time.

Date: June 10, 2019 01:04AM

Me too and the books don't take up any space and they made cheaper.

Date: June 10, 2019 05:45AM

I am the owner of a Kindle, but I still prefer physical books. I use Kindle for when I'm traveling.

A lot of the books widely available on Kindle fall into the following categories:

* Total amateurs, whose writing (and sometimes editing) skills leave a lot to be desired.
* People who are giving away their books for free or for a very low price, which undercuts writers' ability to make a living from their trade.

Amazon is doing a lot of harm to writing and publishing in this way, which is why I prefer traditional methods. As for the amateurs and self-publishers, I don't deny that some of them are good, but many of them aren't and there is no quality control. A lot of the amateurs also just fall into mediocrity - I find it easier to weed out mediocrity looking at printed books.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 09:32AM

I'm currently re-reading one of the classics I read as a teenager, the "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" series by Fritz Leiber.

I've made it a point recently to revisit books I haven't read for over 30 or 40 years because I have such a different perspective on them now, and those differences are fascinating to me. I've always been interested in what others read and what they take away from what they've read, and now I'm doing the same with my younger self as though he were a separate person. What made him tick? Why was he drawn to this or that? What insight (or lack of it) did he glean from his reading that lead to subsequent reading choices?

Was there some a common, yet unacknowledged, theme among the authors I'd chosen (both fiction and non-fiction, and across genres)?

BTW, Leiber was a much better writer than I realized back then or expected now.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 10:26AM

Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeious by Ocean Vuong

How Not to Die Alone by Richard Roper

Red White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.

They all just came from Amazon today. Have to have paper to hold. So excited. I scour the NYT Book Review like crazy.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:11PM

Re-reading Bringing Nature Home by Doug Tallamy.

Should be required reading for anyone with a backyard.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:24PM

Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way by Lars Mytting.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 03:28PM

"The subtle art of not giving a f+ck "
by Mark Manson

It was a #1 bestseller

When I'm done with it I'll pass it on to a TBM friend, hope she appreciates the gesture.

Date: June 10, 2019 08:25PM

It is fascinating seeing how divergent are RfM’s personalities, as exemplified by their stated choice of books.

We share our coming from a world where all answers are either right or wrong. How refreshing it is when a question has neither right or wrong answers.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 10:14AM

Loving this thread. I’ve looked up some of your great suggestions. I have some time to read this summer and plan to take advantage of it.

Couple of my recent favorites are Varina, by Charles Frazier, The Great Alone, because now I have to read EVERYTHING written by Kristin Hannah, and All The Way Back Home, by J.R. Rain (my go-to author for a mind-numbing mass market read when you need one).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 11:03AM by NormaRae.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 10:32AM

I'm still slogging through Mueller Report. I hesitated to mention that I am reading it here. I think it is important for every informed voter to read for themselves and not get a biased opinion second hand.

I'm trying to decide if I want to read Jared Diamond's Upheaval. I've heard some good and bad things about it.

I love the book recommendations here. Thanks!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 07:46PM

dagny Wrote:
> I'm still slogging through Mueller Report. I
> hesitated to mention that I am reading it here. I
> think it is important for every informed voter to
> read for themselves and not get a biased opinion
> second hand.
>
> I'm trying to decide if I want to read Jared
> Diamond's Upheaval. I've heard some good and bad
> things about it.
>
>
> I love the book recommendations here. Thanks!

Upheaval.. I must read it. I've got all his books I think,.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 04:45PM

dagny Wrote:
> I'm still slogging through Mueller Report.

I just began the Mueller Report.

I had to purchase another physical form of it, because the first edition I got (a "regular"--but very thick, with tiny-sized type--traditional paperback copy) was effectively unreadable for me.

So: I then ordered the 7 1/2" x 9 l/2" trade paperback edition, and it arrived yesterday.

The font size is better (easier to read), and the book itself isn't anywhere near as physically unwieldy as was the original, regular paperback, form.

Since most physical books are, to me, "workbooks" (I highlight and annotate all the way through most books), I couldn't effectively "read" the first copy I purchased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2019 04:47PM by Tevai.

Date: June 15, 2019 04:56PM

I annotate or might make notes that I keep in the front cover of books. I love to hold books, but I can adjust font size on Kindle and annotate there if I need to.
I think I might cheat and listen the rest of Volume II on Audible.

Enjoy and take something for blood pressure when you read it!

Date: June 16, 2019 07:07PM

I'm like that. I cannot read without a pen.

History and philosophy I underline and marginalize, usually with a sentence summary on every page. By the time I'm done, no one else wants the books--and I need to keep them because they are records and summaries that I can use to refresh my memory years or decades letter.

I'm little better with fiction: underscoring beautiful passages, cursing at grammatical errors, sometimes cross-referencing. . . Books are not for passive consumption but rather for passionate engagement with the authors!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 07:30PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I'm like that. I cannot read without a pen.
>
> History and philosophy I underline and
> marginalize, usually with a sentence summary on
> every page. By the time I'm done, no one else
> wants the books--and I need to keep them because
> they are records and summaries that I can use to
> refresh my memory years or decades letter.
>
> I'm little better with fiction: underscoring
> beautiful passages, cursing at grammatical errors,
> sometimes cross-referencing. . . Books are not
> for passive consumption but rather for passionate
> engagement with the authors!

If I have to look up a word, or a fact ("EXACTLY when was the Zohar written?"--this just happened today), I usually highlight what I don't know in the text, pencil a neat "bubble" around it, and write down whatever it is I then found out on a page margin.

Even in fiction, I want to know things like where referenced places ARE. (I mentally "file" things geographically; I always have.)

When mentioned places have been created by the writer, either because these places actually do not exist in real life, or because the writer is trying to avoid unnecessary controversy about a real place once the work is published, I am always relieved to find out the true facts behind the mention.

When, because they become relevant again, I look at those books in later years, then my notes and highlights are automatic reviews, and they're often like forgotten friends from your school years, who you accidentally run into much later.

My books, after I "finish" any of them, are hopeless as potential resales for the used book market.

That being said, I would sure like to see some used books which were annotated by the owner, if those owners were people I particularly appreciate, like Aldous Huxley.

Thank you, Lot's Wife!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2019 07:33PM by Tevai.

Date: June 16, 2019 07:56PM

You and I share many interests and habits, summer.

I print out maps to use when reading, often drawing in lines and dates; and additionally sketch out timelines and, with difficult books, pen chapter summaries on blank pages at the front and the back. This takes time but it helps me understand what the author is saying and it strongly reinforces my memory of the contents. Then years later, when a question arises, I often recall the pattern of notes and lines and can then go back to the book and find the page that I was looking for and retrieve the information I had forgotten.

We had to move some time ago and I had to throw out a lot of books because of spacial constraints. I went through and decided which ones were so important, themselves and the annotations, that I couldn't afford to lose them. Many hundreds of others went away, sadly.

And I did turn and look back.

PS: A friend's employer recently acquired a robot that moves around the building and delivers things to people. They needed a name for the thing, and I proposed "Huxley." It seemed obvious to me, but they ended up going with Wall-E.

:(

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 11:09AM

A dance to the music of time... all twelve books... Anthony Powell... no heavy summer reading for me!

Date: June 11, 2019 06:16PM

Envious! That strikes me as very worthwhile. I hope to do the same one day.

But first, I have to make room to complete In Search Of Lost Time.

Human, searching for time...

Date: June 14, 2019 09:46PM

Human Wrote:
> Envious! That strikes me as very worthwhile. I
> hope to do the same one day.
>
> But first, I have to make room to complete In
> Search Of Lost Time.
>
> Human, searching for time...

Proust? I think you do need to take time on that! I've never been able to bring myself to read it. I'd be interested to know what you make of it. I spent a lot of time rwsding Joyce (not really worth it), Vikram Seth (definitely not worth it) and Tolstoy (who was worth it). As for Ayn Rand fugedaboutit. That's time won't get back.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 01:13AM

Currently reading the Nevernight books by Jay Kristoff (the third one should be published this year).

But I plan to later read "Nausea" (English translation) by Jean-Paul Sartre and "Why Birches are White" by Elena S. Smith (I took a course on Russian film that she taught).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 01:18AM

my fav fiction book is 'The Art of Racing In The Rain' by Garth Stein;

movie coming out first week in August. I'd say I 'can't wait', but that's a lie...

my other fav is Anna Karenina, the Richard Pevear translation; I don't plan to read that again...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 01:22AM by GNPE.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 05:31PM

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 09:10AM

I just finished "Dying of Whiteness". It reads like a text book - rather dull reading yet it highlights much of our social condition in the Southern US. Since I live in Tennessee and the author spends a great deal of time discussing my fellow citizens here, I had to read it. From my personal experiences, the book is an excellent summary.

Just started some fun reading for sitting out on the porch. I enjoy dystopian novels as the real world is too depressing. Just started "The Atlantis Gene". I have other science fiction waiting to be read.

Date: June 15, 2019 10:54AM

Interesting.

Last year I read Bryan Stevenson's critically acclaimed memoir Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption, published in 2014. It was suggested to me locally, being in Alabama, but it impacted me more than I expected. It is about how far Stevenson went to get justice for a black prisoner.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 03:38PM

To begin with, I don't care for novel's, as the author can play with your emotions any way he/she wants. However--I LOVE biography's.

With that said, below is some of my reading:

. "Rosemary, the Hidden Kennedy Daughter".
. "Madame Fourcades Secret War", by Lynne Olson.(WWII)
. "Miss Peggy Lee, an Autobiography.
. "Dutch Girl, Audrey Hepburn and WWII".
. "TRUMAN and David McCullough", by David McCulough.
. "Starring Miss Barbara Stanwck", by Ella Smith.
. FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD, When Sin Ruled the Movies, by Mark A.
Vieira.
. Leslie Ruth Howard, ""A Quuite Remarkably Father".
. "Just the Facts, Ma'am". Augo. of Jack Webb, by Daniel Moyer & Eugene Alvarex.
. TRIED BY WAR, Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chef", by James M. McPherson.
. AMERICAN ROSE, A Nation Laid Bare, the Life and Times of Gypsy Rose Lee, by Karen Abbott.
. The Day The PRESIDENT WAS SHOT", By Bill O'Reilly.

That ought to hold your reading attention for awhile. :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 08:59PM

Polly, consider:

"Kennedy Babylon"* (2 volumes) by Howie Carr, Boston muckracker extraordinaire and expert on the Kennedys, also

"Chappaquiddick," Leo Damore, with a new introduction by Carr. It was originally published as "Senatorial Privilege," and will be my beach reading this summer. Exhaustive and extensively footnoted. (Get it-- Chappaquiddick, on the beach, maybe near the Dike Bridge?)

I also hope to get to "Jesus On Trial" (David Limbaugh) and a book on apologetics, Paul E. Little, "Know What You Believe." Right now I'm in selective chapters of Brian C. Hales, "Modern Polygamy and Mormon Fundamentalism" for research. (Hales is LDS.)

Lastly on my pile is James C. Nelson's "The Polar Bear Expedition," about a US military force in northern USSR during the closing days of WWI, something very few Americans know anything about, but the Russians never forgot.

*Not to be confused with our esteemed "Babyloncansuckit."

Date: June 16, 2019 05:03PM

I question the choice of Brian Hales unless your purpose is to get a sense of modern apologetics. But his books are systemically misleading and, perhaps worse, banal. If you want to understand LDS polygamy, there are better places to go.

I'll be interested to hear what you think in any case.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 01:53AM

Non fiction history books:

HITLER IN LOS ANGELES by Steven J. Ross. When local Nazis attempted a revolution on the West Coast in 1933 to overthrow the FDR administration. Silver shirts infiltrated the entire LA police dept.

NAZIS IN NEWARK, by Warren Grover. East Coast mafia at war with Depression Nazis and German spies in New York trying to take over the U.S. gov't.

SATAN IN THE DANCE HALL: Rev. John Roach Straton, Social Dancing, and Morality in 1920s New York City. When 1920s fundies regulated and outlawed ballroom dancing because it caused upwards of 80% of the city's out-of-wedlock pregnancies (jazz caused 70% of pregnancies).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2019 04:00AM by snagglepuss.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 08:19AM

I thought I'd report back about the novels that I read aloud to my class this year, since I got so many good suggestions last fall --

Stone Fox -- a personal favorite

Charlotte's Web -- when my students are afraid of a spider, I just tell them, "It's one of Charlotte's grandchildren" and they relax.

Little House in the Big Woods -- my kids where a bit "meh" about this book, but I appreciated the accurate depiction of frontier life. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone with Little House on the Big Prairie instead, but I wanted to start with the first book in the series.

The Boxcar Children -- I like how the children depicted in this story are so self-sufficient. I think a lot of modern kids can relate to that. As soon as I started reading this book, the rest of the Boxcar series in my classroom library became very popular.

For free reading, my second graders (who are excellent readers) are currently consumed by graphic novels. They pass them back and forth. A favorite is the Dog Man series.

And with any luck, that will conclude my classroom career. I have a brand new certification and am currently looking internally for a teaching position in a specialty area. I start packing up my classroom tomorrow.

Date: June 16, 2019 05:06PM

Charlotte's Web, Little House, and Boxcar Children are some of my favorites. I read all all of them with my kids.

Great choices.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 04:26PM

(All Quiet on the Western Front), still one of the greatest anti-war novels ever written.

To lighten up, for shits and giggles, I'm reading the Miss Fisher mystery series by Kerry Greenwood.

So-many-books-so-little-time-ly yrs,

S

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.