Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:02PM

But "belittling, ridiculing, bullying someone with same-sex attraction is a sin, and is unbecoming of a disciple of Jesus Christ".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCDkd7sBTs

At the 16-minute mark.

Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 05:47PM by maude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 05:32PM

I’m pretty sure he’s just saying that to look attractive to inactive people to come back to the church so they can get more untaxable tithing money. After all, it’s the LD$ church, so no surprise there.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 06:13PM

I thought that was status quo for some time...
It was ACTING upon SSA that was the sin.
Could be wrong.

Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 06:15PM

I don’t know. However, I do know the LD$ church changes it views over time to look more attractive to the world so they can have more members and more money!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 08:14PM

What, if anything, has been said about ghawd giving the Gays 'same-sex attraction'?

Recall how for the longest time there was plenty of support for the contention that one's behavior in the pre-mortal existence had everything to do with the circumstance of one's birth situation?

Ghawd: Look, Scott, here are the two top choices you've earned as a result of the merit badges you earned during your time here, and especially during the War in Heaven. You can be born BIC, but Gay, or be born not Gay, in a small English village. What'll it be?

Sure, that's probably along the lines of what happens... Elowhositz is a ghawd of order!

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 09:00PM

Third option - you could be born Welsh AND the only gay in the village!

Date: June 11, 2019 12:02AM

I didn't want to gild the lily!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 08:20PM

in terms of marriage/sex, etc. And we will still call you SSA as you are not gay.

I heard the business of this was my ex's "trial" in life and now he was my "trial" in life and that I had the opportunity to save a soul.

Well, maybe I just did, but not in the way they wanted me to.

I have to add just because this made me cry just a few moments ago.

My nephew who I love dearly, who is like my own child, has a son who is gay. I was pretty sure when he was young that he was gay. His mother's brother is gay. My sister, who I don't get along with and who goes to church, stayed in the same middle school to teach as this grandson of hers so that he wouldn't be bullied, so she could watch out for him. I have to give her credit. His family invited me to his graduation party and I went yesterday (high school). It was scary as there has been so much bad blood between the whole family since my parents died. So I got on fb a few moments ago and my nephew's son asked me to be his friend on fb. Somehow what I have been through is paying off as my family does really like my ex, didn't like what he put me through, but they think he is a really nice guy and accept him as gay. I think knowing my ex and our experience helped them. If I had to go through this so my nephew's son would know acceptance, so be it. My nephew IS NOT MORMON. He says he served his sentence. His wife never was mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 08:24PM by cl2.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:27PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Somehow what I have been
> through is paying off as my family does really
> like my ex, didn't like what he put me through,
> but they think he is a really nice guy and accept
> him as gay. I think knowing my ex and our
> experience helped them.

If everyone who struggled with acceptance of individuals whose sexual orientation differed from his or her own could make even a single acquaintance outside his or her own concept of what is "normal," sexual orientation-based phobias could probably be eradicated one case of bigotry at a time. Presumably without awareness of it as it occurred, you proverbially took one for the team in this regard.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:31PM

They only lightened up a bit because the bottom line . As more young people leave aka tithing payers in numbers not seen before they change . it certainly isn't the goodness of their little ole brethren hearts . The almighty dollar and nothing more for LDS Incororated

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:42PM

You can see a better video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfGdJIzYZs

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:29AM

On the surface, this sounds like a reasonable and benevolent statement, but in reality it's an attempt at masking the insidious bigotry that's enshrined in the doctrine. When they start letting gay people get married in their temples, they'll have made progress.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 09:38AM

It looks like he's trying to put the best packaging allowed on the bad product. What this statement doesn't solve is the fundamental problem with LDS, Inc.'s "inspired" doctrine. LGBT people have to choose between their church and fully expressing a fundamental part of their humanity (sexual orientation and/or gender identity).

That's just not viable.

It's a more fundamental problem with LDS doctrine for all of us: "The natural man is an enemy to God." That makes the goal not more fully recognizing your humanity, but putting it aside and seeking to be...I guess more like what? The robotic and oddly inquisitive God of the temple ceremony?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 10:20AM

Best packaging. Exactly. And there is not enough buttercream frosting in the world to make the mean bigotry he is icing taste good----to anyone but a bigoted Mormon.

Sometimes when you are raised on a really odd food, you like it when no one else would. Sheep's eyes for instance are a great delicacy in some cultures just like bigotry and misogyny are a great delicacy with Mormons.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:58PM

Having [insert cravings here] is NOT a sin!
Having non-white shirt attraction is NOT a sin!
Having taboo feelings is NOT a sin!
Having doubts is NOT a sin!
Having non-typical gender identification is NOT a sin!
Questioning leaders is NOT a sin!
Wearing casual clothes to church is NOT a sin!
Saying no to a calling is NOT a sin!
Thinking women should be represented in top leadership is NOT a sin!

And doing what Robert Kirby did that caused him to get suspended is a sin! But he probably didn't confess to his bishop or ever seek to make amends for his sin.

He did make a weak apology.

"In his apology, which he also posted on Facebook, Kirby said he misjudged how she would respond to his sense of humor."
https://www.kuer.org/post/tribune-columnist-robert-kirby-apologizes-his-treatment-writer-courtney-kendrick#stream/0

But he might not have "sinned" if Robert Kirby was merely a "fool" according to his leader Dallin Oaks.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1996/10/sins-and-mistakes?lang=eng

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 06:24PM

Too little, too late.

Mormons are not very accepting of gays, in my experience.

Statements like these leave me a little conflicted and confused. The church I grew up in quoted scripture about gays being "abominations" over the pulpit. This wasn't even long ago (Prop 8, California)

They don't say that they expect all homosexuals to live in celibacy or live in a forced hetero marriage in order to fully participate with the church. They don't say that the expression of homosexual love is still a sin right next to murder, according to their theology. They don't say that a loving homosexual marriage is "serious sin" either

I will have to acknowledge that this type of talk is a huge improvement from Boyd Packers reasoning of "beat the gay out of them!" But this is frankly a small concession on the churchs part. I feel like they can do better than simply state that gays shouldnt be bullied outloud (just behind closed doors now!)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 06:32PM by nonsequiter.

Date: June 11, 2019 12:03AM

Yeah!

How can one claim to be a good mormon if one has Gay friends one genuinely likes?

The horror!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 07:25PM

I think that using the phrase, "same sex attraction" should be a sin. Call them gay, Renlund. Call them homosexual. Call them bi. But quit calling them SSA which only serves to show just how bigoted you are.

Maybe we should start using the phrase, "opposite sex attracted," as in "Renlund's opposite sex attracted, but he's not a complete twit."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 08:55PM

It is highly bigoted. It's a way to avoid saying that gender identity is biologically programmed and hence deserves recognition as a natural phenomenon.

As long as the church speaks of SSA, we know they have no intention of treating gays as human beings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.