Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:47PM

So, the latest thing that pops up when I'm trying to waste my time on the interwebz looking at plastic model airplanes is: "Missionaries Can Pray With You...answer your questions, support you..." Answer the questions they are programmed to answer, and support you until you are dunked.

This, after yesterday's popup about Meet Sister Scheich" and "Meet Sister Achal":

"Pretty normal people ... mostly
Missionaries are just regular people like you and me. Before leaving on a mission, they were students, employees, athletes, bookworms, musicians, and, well, you get the idea. After their service, they will return home to finish college, work, start and raise a family, and live a pretty normal life."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:58PM

If they were anything normal, then these young people would be engaged in worthwhile activities: college, work and socialization. They wouldn't need a million-dollar ad campaign trying to justify why they're so noble.

Let's face it, the current church looks awful. No matter how much $$$ they throw into PR, it won't change their bloated image.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 08:00AM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they were anything normal, then these young
> people would be engaged in worthwhile activities:
> college, work and socialization. They wouldn't
> need a million-dollar ad campaign trying to
> justify why they're so noble.
>
> Let's face it, the current church looks awful. No
> matter how much $$$ they throw into PR, it won't
> change their bloated image.

To be fair most of the missionaries are ordinary boys and girls, as some of the ex-mishies on here will attest. Who they are isn't weird, what they do is.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 09:41AM

I never stated that they were not normal as individuals. However, it is not normal by any sense to go door to door selling products that people neither want or consider obsolete. They and or their families pay for the privilege to be ruled by a corporation.

I went. I consider it irrational.

Date: June 17, 2019 10:38PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never stated that they were not normal as
> individuals. However, it is not normal by any
> sense to go door to door selling products that
> people neither want or consider obsolete. They and
> or their families pay for the privilege to be
> ruled by a corporation.
>
> I went. I consider it irrational.

Well, there you go. I'm sure you're ordinary in many respects. The LDS is a strange set up with ordinary people in it. It amazes me that we had this wild doctrine (and parts are still wild, despite being watered down), but most of us were just ordinary.

Most of the members I've known look no different to my neighbors, none of whom have a Mormon background AFAIK.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 12:02AM

The Morg will be vulnerable to a wider variety of ad agencies pitches.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 05:46AM

I'm expecting to see those expensive "I'm a Mormon" PR films edited and re-broadcast on the ads.

"Hello, my name is Shaniqua Angelo Choen, and I live in the Holy Land, where I teach Swahili and Mandarin to the people in my kibbutz, and although I have a tattoo on my face, and no one can tell if I'm a man or a woman, or what race I am, I'm your average, typical 22-year-old Mormon, and I dream of going to the Provo temple and BYU someday. My name is Shaniqua Angelo, and I/...."

Date: June 17, 2019 07:53AM

I wouldn't mention kibbutzim, that's a sure trigger for fans of Palestine. :)

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 08:22AM

It seems they have a new movie coming out... a pop up showed in my FB feed... so and so the MORmON. Block those type of ads from showing up in my feeds...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 04:45AM

Maybe going out in public is becoming dangerous to the testimonies of missionaries. Too many people know the church’s dirty laundry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.