Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 12:56AM

"A spectacular celestial event is set to arrive just in time to beat stargazers’ Monday blues. As NASA notes in a blog post detailing its June skywatching tips, Jupiter will align with Earth and the sun tonight, standing alongside our planet and the fiery star in a perfect straight line. [...]

To locate Jupiter, simply look to the southeast and find the brightest object in the sky, excluding Venus and the moon, as Inverse’s Scott Snowden points out. Although the precise moment of opposition will take place at 6 p.m. Eastern time, Sky & Telescope’s Bob King writes that the planet will reach ideal viewing height around 11:30 p.m. and will remain visible through sunrise, or roughly 7 a.m."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redskittle ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 12:57AM

Cool!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 12:57AM by redskittle.

Date: June 11, 2019 12:59AM

It's the age of aquariums.

Date: June 11, 2019 01:02AM

Where's my talisman ?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 12:39PM

Thanks for the heads up! It was a beautiful sight.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 11, 2019 07:03PM

Way cool. When I lived in the Springs, in the Austin Bluffs area, whenever there was a meteor shower, really big moon or planetary event, we'd drive to Black Forest to get away from the CS lights. Back then, (2001) there was very little in Black Forest.
When I was a kid in Clear Lake Texas, my NASA neighbor was the PR director for the Manned Spacecraft Center (later, renamed Johnson Spacecraft Center) He knew exactly when Skylab (later the Shuttle) would flyover at night. Knew the exact place in the sky to look. It was cool seeing that, knowing there were Americans way up there looking down.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 06:27AM

Beautiful!

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 11:16AM

Thanks for the info Dave. Weather hasn't been cooperating with me, rain and clouds. Did this last year, learned a lot with the equipment and software and planning on improving the imaging this time around.
https://vimeo.com/341812520

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 03:50PM

I looked at it with binoculars, and I thought a saw a tiny bulge on one side, which I assume was a moon. I have to say that I've never seen it like this with binoculars. It looked round and white.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.