Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 11:57AM

Four months seems like a very light sentence for sexual abuse and lewdness with minors. He seems to have a thing for kids, I wonder how long before he's molesting someone else. This is a great example of why you should never let kids be interviewed alone with a bishop.

" A former LDS bishop was sentenced on Tuesday to less than one year in jail and probation after being convicted of inappropriately touching juveniles and talking about masturbation regularly, court documents state.

Jeffrey Bryon Head was found guilty by a jury in April of of sexual battery, which was reduced from a second-degree felony to a class A misdemeanor; attempted forcible sexual abuse, a third-degree felony; and two counts of lewdness, class B misdemeanors.

Head will be placed on probation for 48 months after serving 120 days in jail. He is also required to register as a sex offender."

https://kutv.com/news/local/former-lds-bishop-to-spend-4-months-in-jail-for-sexual-abuse-battery-convictions?fbclid=IwAR3Qr2Ex1-Gx5qREd1_iORKxa-_QWdyp73QKROOkZP7IqbLMiPO8WJsSCuU

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 12:04PM

Probably a standard deal with pleas.

A guy I used to work with spent 18 months in a facility for sex offenders instead of the 15 years of prison his conviction warranted and didn't have to spend much time in jail.

At least he is registered and a convicted felon. Hopefully this helps keep any other children from harm.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 12:06PM

I believe it was this bishop's 2nd offense, but the first one was adjudicated as a misdemeanor ...

I find it fascinating that there are misdemeanor forms of child sex abuse.

Date: June 13, 2019 12:11PM

Here's another article with a little more information. I wonder if his connection to Hughes had anything to do with the short jail time.

"Hughes, who plans to enter the 2020 race for governor in coming months, attended the Tuesday hearing but would not comment except to say "he's family" before getting in an elevator.

In a letter to the judge, Hughes said he met Head 28 years ago when both men were dating two sisters who later became their wives. He called Head “someone I respect and love. I have never once felt concerned for the welfare of my three children when in the company of Jeff.”"

https://www.ksl.com/article/46571927/ex-bishop-sent-to-jail-for-sexual-misconduct-lewdness-with-teens?fbclid=IwAR3NHJl1XGhdiiUTcNOJhzrV4J2lfEbJg-hRzxb9sIi7I4FqZ8nlelrzsHY

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 09:28PM

I noticed that it stated he inappropriately spoke with minors about masturbation. Of course that's wrong. When it happened to me, my father was mad at me for mentioning it. He said I was contentious.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 09:53PM

So shouldn't all bishops be brought to court?

I think this is despicable.

So Hughes would trust him with his children. Wow, he really values his children, doesn't he.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 10:11PM

AS people have mentioned, talk about personal sexuality with little kids and teens is by definition inappropriate. It is abuse per se and it breaks down the barriers to more extreme forms of molestation.

I'm glad to see that at last the media are starting to talk about worthiness interviews. Those tools of grooming have to end.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 10:32PM

Hughes doesn't value any children.

Sex offenders never stop, never change. Statistics prove this. This is why they must be registered for life. It's his second offense? He will continue where he left off, when he gets out of jail. Everyone knows that.

Now, if only parents would bother finding out where these "registered sex offender" records are hidden, how to access them, which state and/or neighborhood to look into, which names and spelling and aliases, and how to interpret the convoluted legalese language, if they can read English well enough. Oh well, the man's a bishop, and a candidate for governor supports him, and he's not in jail. Why bother? The kids will be fine.

Hughes shouldn't be so smug. Maybe his kids just aren't telling. My nephew was smug, and supported the EQ President RM family pedophile. He laughed at our warnings, and the family pedophile molested my nephew's children, and threatened them not to tell, and it ruined their lives. They didn't tell until they were 29 and 31 years old.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 02:05PM

That creep gets so little jail time while his victims suffer from what he did to them till they are in their graves. Next time a TBM asks me why I hate the Mormon church so much, I'll be sure and bring that up.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 09:04AM

Silver lining to all this Mr Hughes will never be governor of a pretty, great state . people go to jail for longer than this for forging a script to get drugs which isn't right but cmon there are victims who are seriously harmed . He got off very easy compared to most who commit similar crimes

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 10:21AM

> He got off very easy compared to
> most who commit similar crimes

Not quite a miracle; just a tender mercy.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 06:21PM

Hopefully this guy is not a teacher by occupation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 15, 2019 06:40PM

I feel like the scales have fallen from my eyes when it comes to clerical sexual abuse. For me, it is mainly what has been happening with Catholic priests. I used to think that people entered the clergy with the best of intentions -- that they were good and decent people who were trying to do the right thing, trying to serve others. Now I see that they are just like the rest of us. Some deserve our respect, some most decidedly don't.

I will never again trust a minister/priest/bishop, etc. just by virtue of their job or calling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2019 06:41PM by summer.

Date: June 16, 2019 10:23AM

"I will never again trust a minister/priest/bishop, etc. just by virtue of their job or calling."

That would be wise. I'm always shocked that people are so trusting. Even as a TBM, I wasn't about to put my daughter in a situation that could lead to abuse, which included being alone with a bishop or other adults. Even being with other kids without supervision is risky.

While I don't think every bishop/priest/etc. is a perv, I do believe there are some that seek those positions specifically because they know they can get away with the abuse.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 07:17PM

Four months seems overly brief. Wonder if the judge is LDS?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:21PM

>Wonder if the judge is LDS?

Most likely... after all this is Utah ... and she attended BYU

http://slcba.net/judicial-profile-judge-katherine-bernards-goodman/

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 07:53AM

In my neck of the woods, a 19 year old, who was 16 or 17 at the time of his crimes against younger kids, was sentenced to 22 years with no possibility of early release.

4 months for a man who's been around plenty long enough to know better? He'll get out and probably do it again.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 02:27PM

A creep in the ward plead guilty to molesting two of his granddaughters. He served ZERO jail time, with 10 yers of probation. That's a high priest for you. The church went ahead and exed him though.

The wife bounced around assigned wards because certain bishops didn't want the sex offender around their respective wards. She came back to my Mom's ward and was assigned as seminary teacher. Everything was hunky dory until the registered sex offender started to accompany her to seminary. He sat there on the couch in the foyer (apparently in the dark~ morning seminary at church) and he creeped out a bunch of the young women. Well, it hit the fan and the sister was released. A bunch of parents rightfully refused to send their teens to seminary with a registered sex offender in the building.

Rumor going around is that the stake president is adamant in keeping this sex offender from being rebaptized into the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.