Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 07:03PM

The things I've been posting here lately, I also posted on facebook. The posts were reported by my Mormon family as hate speech. Now I'm in no-post jail for three days. The 11th article of Faith is a lie. Mormon respect for the observations of others is a fallacy. I'm not allowed to tell my own story, and under the auspices of Mormonism, I never was allowed. It makes me all the more grateful for this group, and the support I've found here.

I really want to be public with my experiences, so I don't want a closed facebook account. Thanks to all here who have been positive and friendly to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 07:03PM by donbagley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 07:05PM

I just reported you...

ETA:

to Facebook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 07:06PM by elderolddog.

Date: June 13, 2019 07:14PM

Ha ha

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 07:26PM

Have you tried blocking all of them?

They can never ever see you again unless you unblock them.

You'll be free as a bird.

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 07:27PM

We love and support you, Don!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 08:16PM

Yeah, your recent experiences have been quite unfortunate. It’s sad when the hate comes from your own family.

Date: June 13, 2019 07:38PM

They're all blocked, but my posts are public. I want to be public, because I write.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 08:03PM

I'm kind of slow. So although your main abuser is in the ground, they are taking over where he left off.

Date: June 13, 2019 08:10PM

You are correct. Their estimation is that I deserve neither inheritance nor a voice to vent. I have always been less than nothing to them, since my father decreed it. He found his godhood.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 04:19AM

In French, the closest homonym to "god" is "gode". While not wishing to offend the theists among us, I feel it's particularly fitting for your father because it means... dildo! As in "your father's dildohood".

Much love to you, Don.

Tom in Paris

Date: June 14, 2019 09:09PM

Gode Baggins gets no respect!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 08:13PM

The concept of free speech only applies to the government not being able to "abridge" you from speaking your mind. On private discussion groups, such as here at RFM or on FB, free speech doesn't exist. It certainly doesn't apply in mormonism. Exactly the opposite.

Date: June 13, 2019 08:40PM

All true.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 10:39PM

And yet the limitations on speech should be enforced consistently. In my experience, Facebook is eccentric as hell in that regard.

That monstrosity is an argument for trust busting. They are so big they bear no responsibility for what they do.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 11:13PM

I'm not remembering tonight if you've answered this, but perhaps you could take your case to the courts and get that inheritance. A legal child has legals rights to the estate, right? A foster child wouldn't have a case, neither a cousin. But this is your father who was a millionaire.

Either way I'm sorry for this situation.

Date: June 14, 2019 09:18PM

The common law allows a person to use a will to dispose of his estate in pretty much any fashion he or she wishes, including withholding from a potential beneficiary whatever the testator so desires.

In other words, a person who writes even a holographic (handwritten) will can screw over his nominal heirs. When a person dies intestate (without a will) then the law tells the potential heirs who gets what and Don would have gotten his portion, even if he had to take legal action.

This is why there are stories about old people using the threat of disinheriting their kids and/or grandkids to get said heirs to toe the old fart's line.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 02:07PM

I stumbled across an article by Pamela Druckerman about inheritance laws, and it is slightly more complicated than I realized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/opinion/johnny-hallyday-inheritance.html

From the article:
The court was merely announcing whether it had jurisdiction over Mr. Hallyday’s estate or whether the case should be heard in California, where Mr. Hallyday lived during many of his final years. But at stake was a question that divides French and American law: Should you be allowed to disinherit your own kids?

In most of the United States, you can. Mr. Hallyday opted for the American approach: His Californian will names his fourth wife and widow, Laeticia Hallyday, as his sole heir. The couple’s two adopted daughters would presumably share in the bounty, which is estimated in the tens of millions, plus future royalties. But Mr. Hallyday’s two older children, from previous wives, would inherit nothing.

Under French law, such an arrangement is impossible. A large part of a parent’s estate — starting at 50 percent if there’s one child and reaching 75 percent for three or more — must be divided equally among the children. This includes “illegitimate” heirs and those from prior marriages, known collectively as “children from another bed.” (Louisiana, part of a former French colony, has a similar rule known as “forced heirship.”)

BTW, the court ruled that French law controls. Mr Hallyday was a French citizen, lived most of his life in France, and earned almost all of what is now his estate in France. He was a French rock and roll icon.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:16PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Under French law, such an arrangement is
> impossible. A large part of a parent’s estate
> — starting at 50 percent if there’s one child
> and reaching 75 percent for three or more — must
> be divided equally among the children. This
> includes “illegitimate” heirs and those from
> prior marriages, known collectively as “children
> from another bed.” (Louisiana, part of a former
> French colony, has a similar rule known as
> “forced heirship.”)

It's always seemed strange to me that Europeans often like to think of themselves as so progressive when their laws require wealth to stay in a bloodline which seems to be the most reactionary concept imaginable.
>
>
> BTW, the court ruled that French law controls. Mr
> Hallyday was a French citizen, lived most of his
> life in France, and earned almost all of what is
> now his estate in France. He was a French rock and
> roll icon.

Date: June 18, 2019 05:30PM

I don't see it like that at all. It simply means that you can't abandon your children financially and thus causes much less manipulation (of your children to do what you want), litigation (to make the law do what you want) and it means it's extremely clear. The warring families so often created by the British and UK systems is very rarely encountered - which may be bad news for lawyers, but helps to reduce the stress of bereavement.

And it stops people leaving fortunes to pets.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 05:30PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:12PM

macaRomney Wrote:
A legal child has
> legals rights to the estate, right?

no. absolutely not.

the US and other jurisdictions based on English common law have a practice called "testamentary freedom." people can leave their estate/money/assets to anyone for any reason, and can disinherit anyone for almost any reason (or for no reason).

spouses can't be disinherited (except with a pre-nup). minor children are generally entitled to a portion of a deceased parents estate until the age of 18 or a few years afterwards. otherwise, nobody has a legal right to an inheritance.

if someone dies without a will and the deceased has assets that are not jointly owned by a spouse, the courts typically rule that goes 50% to spouse, 50% to any children. but that's only if there was no will. if there was a will, you can dispose of your assets basically however you want with very few restrictions.

anyone who sits around waiting for an inheritance needs to get another hobby IMHO. build up your own life and wealth so you're not waiting on gifts from someone else.

parents who threaten to cut their kids out of the will as a form of punishment or control are not worth the trouble. don't let yourself to be manipulated.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 10:20AM

Don, I wonder if you do go on fb and do the setting where only friends can see what you do if after awhile the crazy, chief as***** sister will get bored, find a hobby, get a job or somehow move on to torturing someone else. Then you could change the setting back. Just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 10:21AM by Aquarius123.

Date: June 14, 2019 02:44PM

That is an excellent idea, and I think I'll try it.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 10:25AM

Sending care and concern. Keep telling your story.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 07:59AM

Mormons want to hear what they want to hear: nothing - outside Mormonism [there is nothing inside Mormonism] - and everything (that reinforces their false progress) [useless and unimportant] ('good for them').

What they tell themselves (about you, or "others", or anything else) goes to their head. Their egos support separation of kindness and humanness and often supports neither. They forget about others. Quite a loss. Losing themselves...

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:24PM

I’d like to see Facebook broken up and made into a public utility where the 1st Amendment could apply. Same with Twitter.

It’s outrageous how much censorship powers these private platforms have over us.

What I love about you, Don, is how lacking you are in self-censorship. Thought of you at lunch when I abstained from another noisy lunch and instead hid myself away to chant another lacking in self-censorship, Mr. Walt Whitman.

“All forces have been steadily employed to complete and delight me,
Now I stand on this spot with my soul.”

—Walt Whitman—
—Leaves Of Grass (1855)—

Date: June 18, 2019 05:32PM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 07:29PM

Hey, how well does Whitman translate into French?

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 08:56PM

Human Wrote:
> I’d like to see Facebook broken up and made into
> a public utility where the 1st Amendment could
> apply. Same with Twitter.

It would only apply within the USA. Facebook, Google and Amazon are already on cahoots with the US government which is why they all pay so little tax. The state taxes its enemies and rewards its friends.

Facebook was used to create a massive international facial recognition database, location tracking and to track people's political opinions, subverting the ballot box. Google is the biggest data harvester of the lot and is used to monitor the public. Amazon likewise and both Amazon and Google have listsning devices the good little shedp put in their homes.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 08:15PM

Or, you could register your own domain, e.g. "donbagley.com" or "realbagleyfamily.com" and go to town. It's your own private site, your rules, no facebook overseers, your sister would be powerless. Far worse things than you could write are all over the web. It's not all that expensive either.

Once it's registered and set up, you could then link to your private blog from facebook, announce each new entry, and watch your bitch sister squirm, try to shut you down, and fail.

Good times.

Date: June 18, 2019 08:25PM

Ha ha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.