Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 04:09PM

My oldest sister, who is 85 this year, sent me an email to see if I saw anything about this older lady, Sister Grimmet. Sis had known her in the same stake, I think, before she moved to Mesa AZ (my sister), about 20 years ago.

I'm not sure how she heard about it, but by googling her name, I found this link in the Provo Daily Herald. I like some of stories she tells. I also have absolutely no desire to stay around that long.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/meet-one-of-the-oldest-women-in-utah-who-just/article_4d9ee596-570d-58a2-a422-d71209f16081.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 04:47PM

Nice story. My late grandmother, also named Maxine, was born a few years after this woman. So I found this part especially interesting:

"She remembers six different girls with the name Maxine in her elementary school class because 'all the mothers thought their daughters were going to be great opera stars' like Maxine Elliott."

I have never heard of an opera star named "Maxine Elliott" and can't find any reference to her on the internet.

Perhaps she means Maxine Elliott Hicks, a popular film actress of the silent era who rose to prominence as a child star shortly before the subject of the article was born.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 07:02AM

There was an actress called Maxine Elliott (not Hicks) who was significant in her own right and had a Broadway theater named after hwr. Either way, you had two Maxines who were prominent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxine_Elliott

There was also Maxene Andrews who was a soprano.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 01:52PM

85 is not particularly old if a person has no aches/pains and an active life style.

Hopefully, everyone stays out of the sun to prevent wrinkles and eats right to prevent excessive fat.

The top age is 120 ,no ?

Not real scary as long as the body and mind work well.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:41PM

I got a kick out of this tidbit.

"She hoped to receive a scholarship to college but the principal gave her a gift instead. “I got a brand, brand-new Underwood Typewriter. They had just come on the market. I still have it in my basement,” Grimmett said."

Now the church is going to hunt the family down to get their hands on her antique typewriter.

I also liked the part where she told it how it was working for BYU president Wilkinson. She said that he was rude and demanding. I'm glad that she told him off for slamming the phone on her. Nobody should be treated that way.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 05:51PM

I think I've mentioned here before, my cousin Maxine Conder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxine_Conder

She had quite a career as a Nurse in the Navy. And I'm sure that she's my only relative who appears in Wikepedia.

But she's only 93 and probably won't be around long enough to get as old as MacCene Grimmett is now. (and don't you love the spelling of her name?)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 06:35PM

That was cool. I have a bunch of related people with wikis all related to Mormonism. That is why it isn't cool.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 07:12PM

I was hoping that this was going to be about "A really old Mormon lady goes into a bar..."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.