Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:29AM

This was discussed before, but the two hour block seems to be a symptom of the death of the church. They just can’t fill the callings for a 3-hour block. Not enough interest. The guys at the top keep doubling down on policies that suck out the oxygen. Their solution to the self-created problem is the 2-hour block.

It could be that they don’t want to revitalize their religion. The areas of growth aren’t revenue-producing. The best strategy is to go through the motions to maintain the tax shelter.

Or they believe that religion is for simpletons. Dumb down the doctrine and keep it dumb because it’s not really a thinking game. But people like to think. Otherwise they could zone out in front of the TV at home, like after the 2-hour block.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:53AM

It's much more simple. The three hour block was unpopular even among TBMs. This might be an instance of the leadership listening to the membership.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 02:16PM

I agree completely.

Further, the move has been under consideration for at least a decade. Boyd K did an interview where he said the "saints" would be asked to take more responsibility for studying the gospel, and the institution less, which is exactly how the GAs pitched the two hour block.

But redundancy and tedium were the driving factors.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 09:16AM

I think divine inspiration showed them how much mullah they could save on heating and cooling by switching to a reduced time schedule. Sure, I think the other factors apply, but the church has always run like it's a corporation because that's exactly what it is. Tight budgets watch their bottom line.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 02:26PM

It costs quite a bit to heat or cool a building from outside air temp to a nominal 72 degrees, and can take several days, if the building is really hot or cold. OTOH, the incremental cost of keeping the temp controlled for an extra 2 hours is very nearly zero.

In reality, the building is kept heated or cooled at close to normal temps throughout the week. There are bishops, clerks and others in the building during the week, and it takes way too long to heat or cool the building if there is a large temperature gap to make up.

Cost of HVAC was not the issue.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 09:55PM

Factual, not fanciful. Well put.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 09:32AM

I haven't been to church in years, but relatives of mine say it's because the GAs are basing decisions on what the younger generations are saying, the hipsters, the millenials, their grand kids. They are pushing for what's called "home centered gospel worship" instead of church centered gospel worship. TBMs are suppose to be spending that extra hour studying the bible or something?

They also got rid of accountability for home teaching and visiting teaching. So there isn't all the time spent calling everyone, and pestering busy families with working mothers about who's been visited and not visited. (no ones getting visited anymore)

Many of these changes aren't especially great for the elderly who want to spend their whole day doing church because they don't work and can't find other things to do, but the young, self absorbed, and beautiful love it!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 10:14AM

$$$$

They can fit more congregations into one building and don't have to build as many buildings. At least this is a big deal in the Morridor.

As with nearly everthing LDS, its all about the bucks.

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:54AM

It's funny because just this past week my dad who is in his early 80's said he just found out that it's now a two-hour block. He's obviously not attending regularly and when he does it's for just the first hour--and then bolts. Wish he didn't go at all.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 12:03PM

"Why the two hour block?"

It will be easier that way to move to a one-hour "block" in a few years like most normal church-goers.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 10:30PM

Do I hear a ten-minute block coming some day?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 10:40PM

When I was active several years ago (before I officially resigned), there were several meetings and activities spread out over the course of the whole week. Tuesday night Mutual, one other night a week where we just went in to the church and played basketball for the evening, Friday and/or Saturday night dance at a church building somewhere, maybe an occasional Saturday activity like a hike or camping, Sunday Priesthood, Sunday School, and Sacrament meetings spread throughout the day (no block), and then there were other meetings if you had callings. Though that was quite excessive, it kept people involved and built relationships. Today's mormon church really sucks, and it's more than just the religion that sucks. Socially, the church is in shambles. The leadership sucked the money and the fun out of local Wards and individuals. Anyone with half a brain left long ago.

Posted by: Ratchet ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:13PM

I've never understood the point of the other meetings. Sacrament is supposedly the most important thing in the block anyway, so why not just a sacrament service, some talks/music, prayer, then you're done for the day? We could have non-mandatoy Bible/Book of Mormon study groups at the church during the week or something. Seriously, what's the point of sitting in those BORING classes?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:47PM

It won't be long now...

You'll get baptized and will then be given your personal password to use to download the Holy McGhost app, which MUST be kept active 24 hrs per day and has access to ALL your data, photos, location and any other digital tidbit that will allow the church to save you.

Satan will call his dad and say, "WTF, dad?!?!"

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 04:34PM

BITE mind control backfire
B ehavior
I nformation
T hought
E motion
control

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 04:34PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 10:37PM

Just imagine.

When I was growing up, LD$ Inc like to start off their Sunday meetings schedule with PEC (priestDUD executive meeting) in the morning before anything else was going to happen. Then they would do priestDUD meeting, which had an opening exercises, and then quorum lessons. Then they would do Sunday School, which had an opening exercises, and then divided up for classes. PEC could start at 7 AM. PriestDUD at 8 AM. Sunday School 9:30 The Morning meetings would wrap up about 11:00 ....so a person could go home and enjoy the rest of the day.....until having to hall ass back to the chapel for evening Sackerment meeting which was typically at 8:00 PM and ran for an hour and a half. ......IS THAT ENOUGH CHURCH MEETINGS FOR YOU ????

IF a person was a priestDUD leader then having to be at a 7 AM Sunday morning meeting was part of the "reward" for a prestigious vanity calling, and the MORmON men sucked it up and did it. That early morning duty would be plenty for people now days to say "SCREW THAT!!! "

ohhhh but wait, this is in an agricultural area!!! so many people have to milk cows around the meeting schedule too!! so making it to PEC can very well mean that person will be getting up at 3 or 4 AM to be able to get chores done so they can be to PEC on time. and THERE IS NO TIME for that nice sunday after noon nap that many would count on as a way to compensate for getting up so early on sunday morning,because the cows have to be milked again Sunday afternoon before hauling ass back to MORmON sackerment meeting that evening.

to my utter amazement many MORmON members actually did it !!!! and LD$ Inc would hit up the people for ward budget in addition to paying their tithing, because Tithing was Jesus's money to operate the larger church -whatever that means!!!! and NOT for keeping the local ward house going, and the stupid ass MORmONS PAID IT !!! AS IF tithing on gross just was NOT enough !!!!
Saturday, the only real day of potential rest could be intruded on with hauling ass to the MORmON temple .....to save dead people !!! and enjoy threats of having your throat cut IF you are not doing enough to suit LD$ Inc !!!

......now, go ahead and tell me all about how MORmONISM was easier back in the "golden days" !!!!

The two hour meeting is a concession that MORmONISM has NOTHING really worthwhile or of substance for the MORmON member. and LD$ Inc is just hoping that MORmONS will keep showing up anyway!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.