Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 09:50AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/magnitude-68-earthquake-hits-off-northwestern-japan-tsunami-warning-issued/2019/06/18/2fb195d4-91ce-11e9-956a-88c291ab5c38_story.html

The quake struck Yamagata Prefecutre around 10.22pm local time.

It comes amid fears that its epicentre is at the bottom of the sea, potentially triggering a tsunami.

The city, in north-western Japan, is more than 200 miles north of capital Tokyo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:10AM

All right....who sinned????? :/ lol

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:13AM

I didn't feel a thing!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:37AM

“The Proclamation on the Family” hasn’t been translated into Japanese?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:48AM

I admit it; it's my fault. ( no pun intended) My whole family owns Toyotas and Mazda's; an obvious offense to the powers that be.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 01:57PM

As a lifelong resident of earthquake territory, I hope everyone (doesn't matter whether human or non-human) is safe and unharmed, and that the damage is limited.

[I don't know about now, but in the past, Japan has been particularly vulnerable to earthquake damage because of the way they constructed structures.]

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 02:08PM

Japan's earthquake standards are excellent now, but the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake proved that even the best plans can go awry. The tsunami then inundated the Fukushima nuclear plant, caused a meltdown in two reactors, and released almost as much radioactivity as Chernobyl. The cores subsided into the water table, so water descending the mountains, is heavily irradiated, and then flows into the ocean. Even today radioactive elements are reaching the US West Coast via water and the fish people eat.

I used to consider nuclear generation the best way to reduce dependence on hydrocarbons and hence curtail greenhouse gas emissions. Having seen how horribly wrong things went in Japan, a country that must rank in the top few in terms of nuclear safety, I no longer feel so confident. The breakneck speed with which China and India are building nuclear reactors keeps me awake at night.

Natural disasters have always terrified people. The combination of earthquakes, tsunamis and human technology must amplify that sentiment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.