Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 06:27PM

“Of those who feel God as light and of those who feel him as rules.”

—Joseph Joubert—
—from Notebooks, trans. Paul Auster—

It strikes me, generally, that Mormons, like all Protestants, see God as rules. In the case of Mormons, seeing God as light seems impossible.

Catholics seem to have a choice, based perhaps on temperament.

As a Mormon, I felt guilty when trying to see God as light.

Human

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 06:40PM

Human Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Of those who feel God as light and of those who
> feel him as rules.”
>
> —Joseph Joubert—
> —from Notebooks, trans. Paul Auster—
>
> It strikes me, generally, that Mormons, like all
> Protestants,

Mormons aren't Protestant

> see God as rules. In the case of
> Mormons, seeing God as light seems impossible.

> Catholics seem to have a choice, based perhaps on
> temperament.

Protestants too. More so in fact. What RCs and Mormons share in common is their need for an intermediary between man and God. Protestants don't have that, although they have an influence on Mormonism.

The Quakers are not very rule bound at all, and fall more towards the light end, whereas Calvinists fall towards the rule bound end.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 07:16PM

Jordan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Mormons aren't Protestant

Disagree, but it is debatable. The one thing that unites all Protestants is opposition (and even hatred) for Catholics.

> Protestants too. More so in fact. What RCs and
> Mormons share in common is their need for an
> intermediary between man and God. Protestants
> don't have that, although they have an influence
> on Mormonism.

I agree that I over generalized. But note that Protestants also propose an intermediary between man and God: The Scriptures.

> The Quakers are not very rule bound at all, and
> fall more towards the light end, whereas
> Calvinists fall towards the rule bound end.

This example goes to some saying there are more differences between Protestant groups than between Protestants and Catholics, which goes towards including Mormons as Protestants. —As Catholics warned at the advent of the Protest, that way leads inevitably to everyone being a Sect Of One.

Date: June 19, 2019 12:26PM

Mormons come out of Protestantism, but they have gone way beyond it. They're non-Trinitarian which puts them on the edge of Protestantism, then there is the addition of Swedenborgian tendencies, Freemasonry, exaltation, henotheism etc. All this malarkey about AP and MP is not very Protestant either, nor are additional scriptures... Not that sola scriptura means anything to them in that sense.

"The one thing that unites all Protestants is opposition (and even hatred) for Catholics."

That would also apply to the Orthodox churches and sedevacantists who are not remotely Protestant.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 06:01PM

Very interesting, Human. That has been my experience - the more fundamentalist faiths of my acquaintance, almost by default definition, heavily emphasize rules. The less fundy stress light (so to speak).

As for whether Mormons are Protestant, I have experienced that many religious groups believe they are not. It was my impression that Mormon leaders themselves do not claim to be Protestant. Likewise, JWs refuse the label Protestant and, of course, are not Catholic either). Both groups, which are generally considered to be heavier on the fundamentalist scale, believe their church is the only true one. (In fact, JWs refer to their faith as 'The Truth'. By definition, nobody else possesses religious truth).

I found some interesting info on the Religious Tolerance web site:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ldswho1.htm

Are Mormons Protestant?

(Excerpts):

“If the LDS Restorationist denominations are Christian, are they also Protestant?

Assuming for the moment that the LDS Restorationist denominations are part of the Christian religion:

Some Christians divide the tens of thousands of denominations which consider themselves to be Christian into three main groups: Roman Catholics, Protestants and Eastern Orthodox. within this classification, the Mormon movement would be considered part of Protestantism.

Some make four divisions: Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant and Roman Catholic. Again, Mormons would be considered Protestant.

Others define Protestantism as consisting of those faith group who trace their history back to the Protestant Reformation and Luther's 95 theses. Some include the Restorationist denominations as a fourth or fifth group. Within this classification, the Mormon churches would be considered part of the Restorationist group and not Protestant.

Some define Protestantism as consisting of those non-Catholic denominations that adhere to certain historical cardinal beliefs. Mormons deviate from these beliefs in a significant way and might not be considered Protestant because of this.

And of course, many people consider the Restorationist movement to be non-Christian. In that case, the question is moot.”

“Court rules that Mormons are not Protestants:

Normally, courts avoid ruling on the status of religious groups. However, a Benton County Circuit Judge in Arkansas and the Arkansas Court of Appeals were forced to do just in 2007 and 2008 during a child custody dispute.

In 2005, Joel Mark Rownak and Lisa Monette Rownak had agreed in their divorce to raise their children "in the Protestant faith," unless both of them agreed to do otherwise. Their decree reads, in part:

"Based on the express agreement of the parties that the minor children be raised in the Protestant faith, the Court orders that each party hereto is enjoined from promoting another religious belief system/faith to the minor children unless both parties should consent."

In 2007, evidence was presented to Benton County Circuit Judge John R. Scott that Joel had changed his church membership from Southern Baptist to the LDS Mormon church. 2 Further, he promoted the beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to his sons. He led his sons in the reading of Scripture (presumably including the Book of Mormon), and in daily prayer. He had one son baptized as a Mormon, and one enrolled in Boy Scouts at the local Mormon church. Scott ruled that the father was in contempt of the divorce decree, since the judge determined that the Mormon Church is not part of Protestantism.

On appeal in 2007, the father claimed that the contempt ruling violated the First Amendment's establishment clause that prohibits the state from discriminating against religious groups. Judge Sam Bird wrote the Appeals Court ruling. He noted that the father had originally asked that the Protestant requirement be included in the decree.

The court affirmed the lower court ruling. They based their decision on testimony by the father who stated that the LDS Church was not part of Protestantism, and on information obtained from the LDS Church's official web site. They did not regard the father's claim under the First Amendment to be valid in this case.”

“Which denomination(s) can legitimately be called "Mormon?"

Generally speaking, the LDS and most of the other approximately 100 LDS Restorationist denominations consider their own faith group to be the true successors to Joseph Smith's original founding of the Church of Christ in 1830. Most regards the other Restorationist groups as schismatic denominations.
So, for example, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) considers the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) to be a heretical schismatic group. The feeling is mutual. The LDS objects strenuously to terms commonly used by the media such as "fundamentalist Mormons" or "Mormon sect" or "polygamous Mormons" to refer to other Restorationist groups who trace their history back to Joseph Smith's original church. Many of these groups actively promote polygyny among their members. The LDS at least temporarily suspended the practice of polygyny in the late 19th century. Kim Farah, spokesperson of the LDS church, wrote in a news release:

"There is no such thing as a 'polygamous' Mormon. Mormon is a common name for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Unfortunately, there is no consensus on this point. Some LDS Restorationist denominations use the terms "Mormon," "Original Mormons" or "Fundamentalist Mormons" to refer to themselves.”

“Which is the "true" Mormon denomination?:

This is an unanswerable question. All of the many dozens of Restorationist denominations consider themselves as having originated in Joseph Smith's original faith group -- The Church of Jesus Christ. Most regard themselves as the only "true" Restorationist denomination and the only "true" Christian church.”

---

As with so many things, it appears that it all depends on your definitions. And not everyone has reached agreement on that. The approach that works best for me is to go with what each group claims for themselves. I find the argument over which group is Christian or not to be futile. I understand that there has to be some kind of consensus over at least the basics. Otherwise chaos ensues. But I have spent an inordinate amount of time while a JW and then a Mormon discussing with others outside of either group whether, and why yes or no, JWs and Mormons are Christian or not. Of course, members of both groups claim Christianity. You are never going to convince them that they are only Christian if they accept this or that doctrine, as set out by the mainstream Christian groups, when the theology of the JWs and Mormons does not, and will never, match up entirely with that of the non-JW/non-Mormon denominations.

After being inculcated with "the truth" meme, it is exceedingly difficult, I have found, to widen one's view and learn that not everything is black and white. But embracing different shades is enlightening and meaningful. That's why I love the 'light' analogy.

It shouldn't be so hard to see with a wide angle lens but for some it definitely is.

The funny thing is, it's essentially unknowable. The picayune details over which we Protestants/Catholics/others argue. I guess we'll find out, or not, depending on what is waiting on the 'other side'.

I don't mind that. Now. But as an earnest teen, when I became a JW, I felt desperate to know the meaning of it all, and felt so happy, for a while, when I thought I'd found it. I'm even happier that I eventually left that faith as it was small and confining to me and by now I surely would have passed away from the boredom of it all. There are only so many times you can read a tiny book of the 88 essential questions that one must know answers to in order to become a JW in good standing. After that, surely one thirsts for more. More information, more variety, more enlightenment.

I laughed at the thought of a human court deciding the question for a Mormon convert as to whether Mormons are Protestant or not (in the divorce case referenced above). Not that it settles the question in the larger picture. Interesting exercise though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 06:09PM by Nightingale.

Date: June 19, 2019 06:16PM

I consider JWs and LDS to be fringe Christian elements. Some such as the 7DA are not quite Protestant, but are most of the way out.

Mormonism has the same relationship to Protestantism as thrash metal has to the blues.

I consider Calvinism to be one of rbe purer forms of Protestantism. The TULIP acronym is a useful mnemonic:

Total Depravity (also known as Total Inability and Original Sin)
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement (also known as Particular Atonement)
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints (also known as Once Saved Always Saved)

Does Mormonism correlate with this?

T - no original sin. The fall was good.
U - No, although we chose in the pre-existence.
L - No, Mormonism will save almost everyone.
I - Maybe.
P - Yes, enduring to the end, however priesthood authority can remove that salvation

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 11:37AM

It might be helpful to characterize this dichotomy more explicitly as between those who see God as a "lawgiver," and those who see God as pure "intelligence." If by "lawgiver" we are referring to the source of moral laws generally, rather than the proscriptive demands of religious institutions, perhaps there is room for convergence. God as pure intelligence (light) encompasses the moral laws of human interaction.

Certainly Mormonism gets caught up in the lawgiver-rules prong of this dichotomy, but there is also an abundance of references in Mormon scripture to "intelligence" and "light," which seems to be mostly a relic of some mystical resource of JS, rather than well-thought-out Mormon theology. No wonder that as a practical matter such things are deemphasized in favor of the simple, "obedience" narrative.

There is, of course, a sense in which a thinking Mormon might ask, "If God is the source of intelligence and "moral law," and I have access to it through revelation, what use have I of your tiresome rules? In this sense, one of my more general (rather than personal) objections to Mormonism is that much of what is interesting about the mystical aspects of religion is lost or suppressed in favor of mundane rules. Even the Mornom notion of revelation seems rather mundane and institutionalized, rather than mystically sacred.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 11:45AM

God is anything you want HIM to be.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 11:48AM

Girlish?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.