Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 10:17PM

I'm home here tonight, with I guess a summer cold and just not feeling very good.

I hear a knock at the door, 2nd floor apartment. I was tempted to not answer the door since I’ve had almost no contact with “GUESS WHO”? Yes, it’s Bishop Teeter and his counselor and they were all nice and invited me to church. The last time I had any church contact was at least 20 years ago when I was in Las Vegas and that was the missionaries just knocking doors.

I’ve no idea how they found me, since none of my 3 kids have anything to do with the church and my ex-wife wouldn’t bother. I opened the door and was nice to them, and he gave me the church address and his phone#.

I have only been in the church once in that period, when my grandson was baptized 2 years ago so I’m really interested how these guys got my name. They called me by first name, Wayne, that I only use for legal things.
I opened the door and was nice to them, and he gave me the church address and his phone#. Like I said, I’m feeling lousy and standing there in my boxer briefs and he came out to write his name and phone on a piece of paper.

He wanted to make sure that I call him in case I need some help. Don’t think that’s gonna happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 10:23PM

plz don't call me wayne ~

thx ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:03PM

Okay, Shirley.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:58PM

Posted by: YouMikeMeNot(SoMuch) ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 02:27PM

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Johnson."

Date: June 19, 2019 02:49PM

I had to look that one up.

You're a natural!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 03:17PM

Confession: I knew it in a very general sense; had to look it up myself.

OT/Aside, to LW: I appreciate the heads-up on the Hales book, and was aware of his pro-LDS/SLC position. I needed some specific info on 1920s/1930s personalities and sects, and his charts and timelines are helpful. You may recall I mentioned "selected chapters." Can't explain my reasons on-line.

Date: June 19, 2019 06:30PM

No worries. I hope you found what you need.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 10:49PM

Well lucky you! They went sleuthing and picked today. It's almost like they can smell when someone might be vulnerable. :-)

Kudos to you for being nice. I don't think I would have been nice, sick or not.

Feel better soon!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 10:57PM

Are U a lds member?
I guess they used services of a bloodhound! Yoof Yoof!!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:23PM

Don't you just love the Mormon bait-and-switch game?

If you REALLY needed some help he wouldn't do it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:32PM

As long as you are on the ward membership list, some bish may/will get a wild hare up his butt and decide you need to be reclaimed. It's what they do. With internet search tools, not that hard to get a lead on where someone might live.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 11:33PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:24AM

They use voting records, tax records and various befarious means to track people.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:41AM

Be sure you buy a lottery ticket or play some powerball. You seem to be very lucky.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 10:25AM

I'm serious. No one needs to rat you out. These missionaries spent at least eight hours a day using voting records, drivers DMV records and phone records to find exmos who simply want to be left alone.

Guess you'll need to officially resign and tell them you want to be left alone. Being nice doesn't usually work.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:18AM

from their rolls"--they see you even more I think as a missionary project. The current bishop didn't even know I had resigned. Nobody told him.

I am all for resigning. Don't get me wrong. It did wonders for how I feel about myself--like I took back my control even if they keep bothering me. I get to tell them I'm not one of them.

memikeyounot, you are in Utah again, right? Now that they've found you . . .

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:29AM

Yes I moved back to Utah in 2015 and have pretty much regretted it since, mostly because of the awful winters we have. I've never resigned or whatever the steps are mostly because I just don't care enough.

The thing that puzzles me is how they got my name and address. I have 3 kids, none active and I'm sure that not only wouldn't they tell anyone, they know where I live but don't know the exact address.

I told the bishop last night that I wasn't interested and he said "that's fine. We just wanted to say Hello".

We'll see what happens

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 11:57AM

as I wasn't going to do it either, but my daughter just kept bugging me to go back and so I wanted to make a STATEMENT to her. I don't think she's argued with me about not going back since, but we've sure had other arguments!!!

Resigning did make me feel better for some reason. A lot of people, especially my nonmember boyfriend, were worried about how it would impact me. It was like a load was lifted off my shoulders. Nothing quite like telling a mormon "I've resigned." It really makes a statement.

They still bug me. I hate the Utah winters now, too, although I used to love winter, but now that I'm older, I hate them, but I hate summer, too, so I'm screwed!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:32AM

>> He wanted to make sure that I call him in case I need some help.

Thanks Bishop. Who do I call to get help keeping you from contacting me?

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 02:45PM

It's always creepy when people you aren't expecting pester you at your front door, but even creepier when they greet you by name. JW's will try to learn your name from public records too (although, to their credit, they seem to be going door-to-door less than they used too) and so do people volunteers banging on doors to talk about political candidates. Going door-to-door was always rude, but now it's also so twentieth century.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 04:57PM

nomonomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's always creepy when people you aren't
> expecting pester you at your front door, but even
> creepier when they greet you by name. JW's will
> try to learn your name from public records too
> (although, to their credit, they seem to be going
> door-to-door less than they used too) and so do
> people volunteers banging on doors to talk about
> political candidates. Going door-to-door was
> always rude, but now it's also so twentieth
> century.

The twenty first century equivalent would be having a computer read someone's emails, listen to their conversations and putting everybody on a facial recognition database.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 02:48PM

They found you the same way creditors and alumni associations do.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 04:54PM

I know if you have an auto dealership you'd sign-up for a bulk subscription to Carfax so you'd pay a lot less per search than if you did it one-at-time, so does LDS, Inc have a subscription to any of those online public records search services? Maybe they expect individual members to voluntarily pay for such things in their "service" to LDS, Inc to track down "missing" in-active members? I could see zealous members doing that in an effort to get back the lost sheep.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 01:37PM

Subscribe? They probably own half of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.