Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:09PM

I have previously shared that my Dad would behave inappropriately at church. I'm talking about his honking the car horn when fast and testimony went never ended on time. I just remembered another one involving the old blue hymnal.

I think the church's AC was not working well or had given out. They opened up the two side doors (1970s meetinghouse design) with the hope that an afternoon breeze would help cool things down. The doors allowed the flies to come inside and bother people. The bishop had a visitor from the stake or he would have closed the meeting sooner.

So the entire congregation stood up to sing the closing hymn. My Dad wasn't singing but lying in wait for a fly....Smack!

He closed the hymn book with a great clamor. He opened it up and yelled out "Got him!" The yucky mess was splattered between two pages. He dutifully used the ward bulletin to scrape off the mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:38PM

November 1984.Bogota Colombia. 1st ward.

The bishop spends considerable effort gathering enough talent to have a ward talent fireside.

My mother, to be supportive takes her children to the first row. There are 4 kids: 11,9, 6 and 3.

A duo consisting of a mother and daughter 50 and 70+ perform an operatic version of "the prim roses".

Off key falsettos ensue accompanied with "opera faces". We kids get the giggles. My mom is pinching us so we will be quiet. The giggles turn to laughter. My mom's struggle turns to rage, we are all laughing too hard, we some home all try to hide behind my little mom.

The performers keep going, deeper into notes that have never been heard by human ears. We feel terrible but the laughter at this point is unstoppable as we are mostly laughing at our situation, we can get out until they stop and my mom is full on melting down.

I think I'm still grounded from this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 01:47PM by sb.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 09:01PM

Your story reminds me of similar laughing fits I had with my siblings during musical performances. There's just no way to stifle laughter when you're a kid, especially if other kids are laughing.

A few years ago I was in a big beautiful cathedral in Rome during a choral performance. A woman sitting behind us passed out and was carried out by two men. The performance continued. My friend saw the passed out woman open one eye and look around while she was being carried out. My friend imitated her and we lost it. We were both grown women laughing uncontrollably at the woman who seemed to fake passing out so she could leave the concert. We had to finally just walk out in the middle of the performance because we could not stop laughing. We laughed all the way back to our hotel.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 12:15PM

Self-important religious settings are a perfect set up for the giggles. My father was an altar boy in a catholic church growing up. This was a 18th century church and one of his duties was to light and swing a 30 lbs, ancient silver incense box. This was tied to a log chain on each end so two altar boys could walk and swing it solemnly. Then after the walkabout, they were to return to the area behind the altar and continue burning it during mass.

Long story short, my dad and his cohort realized that if you spun the box, the incense would really get going. In one of these occasions, the priceless box of incense broke off the chain and flew over the priest and into the middle of the congregation, like a medieval trebuchet strike.

That was the last day my dad stepped foot in that church.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 09:48AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:39PM

I have these friends who are a couple. I went to visit them in Seattle and I was trying so hard to be a good mormon girl so that they and my boyfriend I had just let go because he wasn't mormon would join the church, so when I went to visit them, I wanted to go to church. The husband accompanied me.

Of all days to go, it was fast and testimony meeting. Everyone talked about how they were fellowshipping so and so. One guy got up and just started to sob and then he snorted really really loud. We couldn't stop laughing. We finally got up the nerve to get up and leave it got so bad.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:43PM

When I was 16, my friend and I were sitting by each other in Sacrament meeting. She had a dress on that had a sheer top layer. Somehow, a fly had gotten trapped between the 2 layers of her dress. It was buzzing and trying it’s best to get out. We were red-faced from trying not to laugh, but loud laughter won. Boy, did we ever get the dirty looks from everyone, including the bishopric on the stand. Couldn’t wait to leave!

Date: June 19, 2019 01:47PM

Your story reminded me of a story that I actually haven't told on here.

My younger sister and another girl in her mutual class were going to sing a hymn for some program that they were having in the gym and the performers were on the stage, which was connected to the kitchen. Our neighbor was accompanying them. I was in the kitchen waiting. The other girl sang completely off key. The neighbor just kept playing and my sister kept singing, too, and then when they were done, my sister and neighbor ran into the kitchen and burst out laughing along with me. We were told later that everyone could hear us.

This wasn't "funny" at the time, but I used to accompany in mutual and primary. I wasn't very good, but that is beside the point. I used to get nosebleeds easily in the summer as I have very bad allergies or had them. Luckily, they got better as I got older. So I'm sitting there playing for the priesthood commemoration program and my nose started to bleed. I had to get up and leave. It was where it just starts dripping without any warning. Thankfully, the nosebleeds have stopped now, too. Now THAT WAS EMBARRASSING for me. Oh, and the time I got a nosebleed doing baptisms for the dead. I've told that one before. They had to stop so blood wouldn't get in the water and they weren't pleased. Not like I could help it!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 01:48PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:55PM

I've never heard anyone confirm that they, too, had done the following:

As priests, blessed with drivers licenses, we would show up Sunday mornings at priesthood and try to out-act each other in terms of being tired, hung-over, blue-balled, etc. We'd hang our heads, mimic being drained and listless during opening exercise and pretend only superhuman effort made it possible for us to climb the stairs to our classroom.

Then we'd slump in our chairs and begin our stories regarding how "far" we'd gotten on the previous night's date, etc., etc. And the fact that we were all still virgins was both lamented and congratulated.

Today, armed with a cell phone, irreverence must be epidemic!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 04:45PM

Anytime a priest had access to a car, a good portion of the quorum could be found at Taco Bell.

Once, the bishop drove over and gave a lesson on keeping the sabbath day holy. It was recieved as more of a joke than a reprimand.

Date: June 19, 2019 05:01PM

but his story reminded me of my older brother who rebelled big time in his teens. He ran away his junior year with his best friend. It was discovered early on and the bishop went to Ogden to pick my brother and his friend up (both in the same ward) at the bus station. My brother had left because my dad had forced him to get his hair cut shorter than he wanted it. This was the early 1970s, so my brother wanted long hair.

So the next Sunday when my brother and his friend were blessing the sacrament, they both had shaved their heads and his friend had on little round wire glasses. I'll never forget. They sure didn't look like they belonged blessing the sacrament and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they weren't hung over.

My brother never served a mission and he only shortly went back to the church in his 40s after he had a stroke. The bishop of the older singles ward didn't want him there (even with short hair) and told him not to come back. He never went back AGAIN.

OH!!! And talk about irreverent. My brother and his friends also had a band. They did pretty good. They played "House of the Rising Sun" at the ward talent show. Again, this was early 70s. My mother had no idea what the song was and she was so proud until one of the other mothers told her what the song was about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 05:04PM by cl2.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 05:42PM

I was sitting with a group of friends behind super righteous old Brother Fitzpatrick in Sacrament Meeting.
After the sacrament prayer on the bread, he reached in his mouth, took out a wad of gum and reached behind his head and stuck the gum on his bald spot until he had been served the bread. He then reached back to retrieve the gum and returned it to his mouth. One of my friends started giggling and soon we were all laughing until tears were coming out of our eyes.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 05:57PM

OK, now we are getting close to Elder Kotexhead ... still one of the funniest stories ever told here.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 08:20PM

Thanks for reminding me of Elder Kotexhead! That is my favorite story of all times! There aren't even enough LOL's for that one! I really needed a good laugh!

Date: June 20, 2019 11:37AM

Yes, kotexhead still wins, but this is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 11:40AM by cl2.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 06:36PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have previously shared that my Dad would behave
> inappropriately at church. I'm talking about his
> honking the car horn when fast and testimony went
> never ended on time.

your dad had access to his car horn during the over extended meeting.....while in the meeting??? I will grant you, that sounds like some one with a genuine LACK of enthusiasm for THE (MORmON) church and its meetings... which leads to the next natural question ( the answer to which ended my attendance at MORmON meetings) WHY be there at all???? I noticed that the WORST NBA or NFL or NASCAR event was still better than the BEST EVER priestDUD meeting !!! and acted accordingly.

One of my proudest moments ever (EVER) in attending MORmON sackerment meeting was so audaciously jacking my seated body right up onto my legs and walking the HELL RIGHT OUT of a meeting that was quickly deteriorating, with a VERY UNPLEASANT LOOK ON MY FACE, from my former seating position near the front of the chapel, just as speaker made it a point to get edgy with the congregation.

I did NOT raise my bird finger to the CRAPPY speaker, but my completely disgusted sentiment should have been just as obvious anyway. "Brother Smirkorama is LEAVING, and you can bet that he aint coming back to this CRAPPY meeting after making that kind of pronounced exit !!! .....because your speaker /your meeting sucks !!! "

IN fact rudely leaving in response to a CRAPPY RUDE speaker may have been one of the best reasons to go to MORmON church meeting ever, which is hardly any reason to go in the first place, since just EXITING before ever going (NOT ATTENDING) just makes so much MORE sense!!!

Even MORE gratifying was going to a temple recommend interview at the request of my (NUT CASE!!!!) wife at the time, and then during the interview hearing the bishoPRICK's counselor object to my selective attendance pattern of ONLY going ward sackerment meeting at the time. Brother Buttface assured me that he had a problem with my established selective attendance pattern.

In return to good Brother Buttface, I gave my assurance to brother Buttface that I was going to alleviate my problem of selective attendance. "Good!!!" brother Buttface said. That was THE end of my attendance at THE (MORmON) church as a ward member. I NEVER attended another MORmON church meeting as a ward member. EVER !!!

are you still happy about your demands that I do better, brother Buttface??? I KNOW I am !!!!

Later on the BishoPrick attempted to resolve the problem by coming by my house and asking me to play the piano for priestDUD meeting. The Bishoprick said it was a personal request to make it seem more special and personal!!

"Oh Yah!!! I am going to do that !!! " .......I LEARNED MY LESSON !!!! -Its FUN to bold face lie to church leaders!!!!

Date: June 20, 2019 11:33AM

Actually, my Dad would stand up when the meeting exceeded the 3 hour block. He didn't wear a wristwatch, but would mimic the gesture of looking at his wrist while tapping that time was up. If he was really angry then he would try to tug my Mom to get up and walk out with him. She often refused and it made quite a scene that greatly embarrassed my Mom.

Of course, the bishop wouldn't pay any attention to my disgruntled Dad. In fact he delighted that Sacrament was pushing 90 minutes. However, my Dad would rev his pickup truck and then the horn blaring would begin. Ignoring my Dad's tantrums never worked and I would be sent out to try to calm him down.

And then the Goops would travel home only to argue and fight. Then my Mom would accuse me of attacking her and defending my Dad and then she would snap and I usually got a beating. Mormonism only brought disharmony into my home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 11:38AM by messygoop.

Date: June 20, 2019 11:42AM

without the MORMON church. My dad was a farmer and he also wasn't very active in the church. Every Sunday they argued about his participation OR when he would go buy us all burgers and shakes for dinner on Sunday night. My mother would be yelling at him while eating her's.

They argued every Sunday without fail at least while I was at home. My mother would often load up the kids and drive to SLC to see her sister and when her sister moved away, we'd go to temple square. BORING.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 07:02PM

Ever play tag in the chapel. Use to crawl under the pews (before carpet)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 09:32PM

Oh yeah, good times!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 07:54PM

I used to swap fart jokes with other deacons while waiting to do baptisms for the dead. You can tell I was a real hellion.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 09:36PM

In the student ward I attended there was a very long-winded bishop who would continue talking long after sacrament meeting was supposed to have ended. We'd all be anxious to go home so we'd drag the hymn books out of their holders, making a loud scraping noise. The bishop would finally get a clue and stop.

When I was a young teenager, before cellphones provided entertainment, my friend and I would write messages back and forth on the meeting program. We'd start giggling uncontrollably and get disapproving looks from the adults. I still have one of the programs we wrote on over 30 years ago.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 11:55AM

We were sitting behind a young family in sacrament meeting one time. The mother was a convert and her nonmember sister had been babysitting the kids at times. The three year old was standing on the pew. She dropped the toy she was holding, looked down at it, and said VERY loudly, "Ah shit!!!"

The mother was horribly embarrassed, and our entire family couldn't stop laughing. My Dad laughed the loudest and longest. He was in the stake presidency at the time.

Date: June 20, 2019 12:23PM

As priests, we always tried to slack off and get away with goofing off when blessing the sacrament. I had a buddy who always said the prayer incorrectly as a way to goof off.

I had a sneezing attack while reading the bread prayer. It came on so quickly that my sneezing into the microphone caused feedback through the speakers. People moaned, but it was the small children who freaked out. They started to shriek and scream. I was so busy sneezing to see their horrified faces. When I was able to compose myself, the sliding tray that had the prayer and mic was covered in green mucus. It was pretty bad and I was excused to get cleaned up.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 04:01AM

Hence, the name "messygoop." I get it!

This is one of the reasons I didn't take the sacrament.

I remember many fits of laughter--that kind of laughter that becomes uncontrollable if it's forbidden.

When I was an adult, I had a laughing fit in a temple wedding ceremony. (I've told the story already, so I'll abbreviate.) In the hallway to the sealing room, I overheard the bride and groom laughing at each other's silly costumes, and they made a pact to not make eye contact with each other, during the ceremony, because they might start laughing.

When the bride knelt at the altar, she knelt on part of her costume, and somehow pulled everything off! Her hat and veil were dangling under her chin, and she couldn't straighten them out, because the matrons had made her cover her little arms with ridiculously long sleeves, that completely covered her hands, making her helpless. She also was forced to wear a large bib at her neckline, which somehow got tangled up with the hat and veil. It was very apparent that the bride and groom were struggling to suppress their laughter. You really had to be there....

I was horribly embarrassed, because I was the only person who wasn't sitting quietly, with a solemn temple-frown. I was trying to breathe normally, but my diaphragm was in spasms, with the laugh-response. Tears were spewing out of my eyes, and I tried to cover up with a handkerchief, like I was being sentimental, or something. I tried to look away, but it was impossible. The officiator told them, twice, to look each other in the eye. Then, he told the groom to take the bride's hand in the patriarchal grip, and the groom couldn't find her little hand and began groping for it up her sleeve. At that point both the bride and groom finally lost control, and they sputtered and shook with laughter--and that made me lose it! I pretended to have a little bit of a cough, and no one looked at me.

No one ever mentioned anything about the laughing incident, and, somehow that denial made it even funnier, in retrospect. It was all so sacred and solemn, y'know. That was the last temple wedding ceremony I ever attended, and now I cherish that memory!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 04:33AM

scmd1, I loved your story. I love the way you tell it, too! No, don't shorten the length or cut out one word! The humor is in the details. I laughed the whole way through!

When I was organist, I loved learning beautiful music, of my own choosing for the preludes and postludes. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart--all the greats. When Correlation mandated that we play ONLY Mormon-written music, or Mormon hymns, the music just died. I didn't want to bother with it, so I began playing Beatles' songs, because I liked the harmony, and I already knew the songs. I would change them up a bit, and play their lesser-known songs, and apologize to the Beatles for murdering their music. LOL--I never thought to play them as hymns, though!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 01:28PM

I had an inside joke about making Nazi salutes (sure not the classiest thing, but it was not meant as an endorsement of Nazism, more of a mocking gesture). When I got called to Germany on my mission, we were exchanging them in the chapel (again not the brightest thing--easily misunderstood and all that). It got a reprimand from the pulpit.

But looking back on it, the Morg and Nazi Germany had a lot in common--scaling back the degree of evil--but the social dynamics of Mormonism and many totalitarian systems are similar. So perhaps the salute was appropriate.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 02:16PM

I went to an LDS teen party held in someone's basement.

The victim had a blanket put over them, and was told to take off anything they didn't actually 'need'.

So, people took off their shoes, socks, etc., until the point of no return.

The answer was then provided: What we didn't need was the blanket over us.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 03:00PM

I saw this happen...in seminary. The instructor was the one under the blanket. Out came "all" his clothes. He eventually threw the blanket off him and proclaimed he didn't like this game. Of course he had some sort of costume on under his street clothes. It was kind of funny to see the reactions of the ladies.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 02:50PM

I don't know whether this qualifies as irreverence, it certainly wasn't for me, but it allowed me to publicly set myself from Mormon in-laws and acquaintances:

My wife and I were invited to a Valentines dinner at an Italian restaurant with her sister and several couples from her ward.

As the waitress was taking drink orders, everybody at the table ordered water or some soft drink. Coincidentally, I was the last to order and asked for a Moscow Mule.

The waitress did a double-take since a couple of people made a point of mentioning that they were Mormon and nobody else had ordered anything with alcohol.

I immediately explained to the waitress that I was the designated drinker.

My BIL, who's normally very judgmental TBM, thought it was hilarious and gave me big pat on the back.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:19AM

We had heard one Sunday during priesthood opening exercises that Elder LeGrand Richards had a foot amputated. Somebody was prompted to ask the Bishop, "What is appropriate following an amputation?"

The Bishop responded, "We should hold a funeral to bury the appendage." He proceeded to demonstrate how to bury a limb.

As the Bishop is solemnly laying the proxy limb into an imaginary grave, a wiseguy calls out, "Talk about having one foot in the grave!"

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:45AM

This happened at a Baha'i church meeting I grudgingly went to when a friend invited me. We were sitting in the front center row and this lady was singing a song. His mom's telephone starts ringing and she answers it. In a perfectly clear and load voice that carried over the singer, she precedes to have a "normal" conversation. After looks are exchanged everyone in the front row gets a fit of the giggles... this happened a few years ago so cell phone etiquette had been established. Luckily the singer was able to finish without missing a beat!

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 04:18PM

Memory is a fickle thing but here we go.

1) On a scout trip to Ensenada,we lit firecrackers on the beach until the federales showed up. It's a good thing one of the leaders was a Spanish teacher too. On the way back, one of the leader's cars was stopped and searched at the border and he got fined for having illegal fireworks. Then he got a ticket for speeding on the I-5.

2) We used to cut the crust off of the sacrament bread. One afternoon in the little closet where we prepped the trays, we stuffed our mouths with the crusts so our cheeks were bulging, and the biggest kid let one rip. Well, we couldn't escape with our mouths all full of bread.

3) My brother is two years older than me and claims they used to put salt into some of the sacrament cups just to watch the expression of members who got the brine samples.

There's more, of course, but I think you get the drift. Que Dios me perdone.

Cuz X

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 04:22PM

We were doing a service project, helping to paint a member's house in the valley, as I recall. We were teachers (14-15 years old) in the AP. On the roof, we painted a large peace sign visible from the road. I don't know how our leaders missed that one.

I know. I was a terrible kid.

Cuz X

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 09:42PM

Smuggling 12 bottles of Lethbridge Pilsner beer in my luggage to my dorm room at Ricks in 1967...and drinking them there with a dorm mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 09:43PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: June 22, 2019 09:48PM

Dang, I forgot this one!

Flipping Joseph Fielding Smith the bird from five rows back in the SLC Mission home on Wednesday, June 02, 1965.

It was accidental, per my conscious mind... But it was the bird!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 11:58PM

Waaaaaay back in 1992-99ish I really was in it to win it with the mormon church. I was in singles ward, had half a dozen callings, went to each and every fuggin fireside that there was. In addition to which I would do a temple session every Wednesday plus every ward and stake temple night and occasionally on a Saturday.

There was a fireside that I went to, was in the 3rd row from the front and there was this super cute guy in the choir and we just wouldn't stop with the eye contact.

I mean, he'd catch me looking, I'd catch him looking. It was crazy.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I saw him in the temple. He was a volunteer in the laundry area. he was folding socks. We chatted. We flirted. I went to my session with my mind spinning.

When I walked into the celestial room, there he was - waiting for me.

We chatted in the celestial room and he said "maybe this isn't the best place for this" and we went downstairs (Seattle temple) to the clothing area.

I got his number on a temple prayer slip.

I saw him once after that, but never followed up. I was trying to be a good mormon boy. What a dumbass I was.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 06:28AM

I apologize for the length. My sister tells me I exaggerated a few details, but not many.

My dad was a mission president during my late elementary school years. The mission was in the region of our nanny's former wards, though it wasn't the ward in which the Kotex Head incident took place. For the record, we didn't really need a nanny anymore, but she was a de facto family member by that point, and she needed to live somewhere while she completed her practicum for her PPS credential in school psychology. For ease of use reasons, I will refer to her throughout this post as Annonnn.

One week my parents were asked to speak at Annonnn's former ward. Kotex Head would not likely be there, as the ward was within his stake, but not his actual ward. Several eccentrics had been in the ward when Annonnn was there, and at least a few likely still attended the ward. Annonnn thought it best to warn us about these eccentrics so that we would be able to maintain our composure if or when we encountered any of them.

She told us about person who might be playing the organ. Most of the people in that ward who actually knew how to play the piano or organ were young people, who moved on to missions, colleges, or wherever they could to escape the place once they reached the appropriate ages. Sometimes the organists weren't very good. In fact, the former nanny said, one lady who had served as organist only knew how to play about ten different hymn tunes plus several folk songs. She would pick whichever ones went best with the lyrics to the hymns chosen on a given Sunday. The bishop tried to get her to single note the actual designated hymn tunes, but she wanted no part of that.

The person who had been "chorister" when Annonnn was there (I personally hate that term as applied to a musical conductor; I believe only Mormons use the word in that way) had been the chorister for a very long time. The nanny said the woman had looked like a corpse when she last saw her seven years or so earlier, so she couldn't imagine how old she must have looked by the time we would be there. The woman didn't know any actual beat patterns but instead made very slow figure-eight patterns with the conductor's baton regardless of the time signature or of the tempo of the song. She didn't actually sing the words of the hymns while conducting, but instead opened her mouth widely, then closed it, as though she was saying "wOWOWOWOWOWOW" through the duration of the hymn.

Annonnn warned us that one man who was likely to be in the bishopric (there were very few Melchizedek priesthood holders in the ward) had what was probably a terminal case of jock itch, and scratched himself almost constantly. Fortunately, she said, he was rarely asked to bless the sacrament when there weren't enough Aaronic priesthood members available.

One woman, Annonnn told us, usually left her seat and stood with a clipboard and pen near the table where the ward clerk was situated. She didn't trust the ward clerk's attendance figures, regardless of who was the ward clerk. She took attendance herself each week on carbon paper, then handed one copy to the ward clerk, after which she traipsed up to the stand to hand another copy to the bishop. She was known by the kids in the ward as the Attendance Policewoman.

Annonnn also warned us of a ward member who belched frequently and loudly, of a man who loudly clapped his hymnal shut at the conclusion of every hymn, of a maybe forty-year-old woman with no children (so her departures couldn't have been attributed to usual kid stuff) who usually sat near the front of the chapel who left the chapel a minimum of three times during every sacarment meeting, of a guy who clipped his nails during Sacrament Meeting with clippers that were so loud they could be heard all over the chapel, of a woman who clapped along with the hymns (she didn't need to hold a hymnal because she had the words committed to memory), and of a thirtyish and slightly kooky guy who walked around the chapel immediately after the Sacrament every week with a brown paper babg filled with bubble gum, allowing all the children (except those whose mothers forbid it) to grab an entire handful of the gum if they so desired.

Annonnn begged off, still seated on the sofa and in her pjs when we left. She said she had to give a talk in her singles ward. None of us believed her, but my parents couldn't exactly force her to go with us. The rest of us were not so lucky. I'm one of six kids, but there were only four of us still living at home at that time. The oldest brother still at home tried to convince my parents to allow all of us, or at least him, to remain at home and to attend our regular ward, but my parents weren't going without us. We loaded up the minivan and drove the two hours or so from the mission home to the ward in the sticks.

As we walked in to the building, we could hear strains of the organ music to the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." It was the organist Annonnn had described. We had further confirmation of her identity when we reached the chapel. Annonnn had told us she was a dead ringer for the Vicki Lawrence character of "Mama" from "The Carol Burnett Show" and the sitcom "Mama's Family." Sure enough, she was a doppelganger, with the blue-gray bullet-proof curls, a floral dress with designated recesses for her butt and boobs, the permanent scowl, and even, we would learn as she left the organ to be seated on the dais for the sacrament, support hose and orthopedic shoes, though her shoes were camel-colored rather than the white ones sported by Thelma Harper.The organist segued from "My Bonnie" to "The Streets of Laredo."

Annonnn had also warned us that there was one Melchizedek priesthood holder in the ward who was inexplicably normal. He would serve his five years or so as bishop, then be released, usually to join the stake high council. Then something would go wrong with whatever replacement they had set apart as the new bishop, and the stake Powers That Were would have to find a replacement high council member and put the old bishop back into position. If he could have, he surely would have moved out of the ward, Annonnn said, but he was a farmer and needed to live near his farmland. It was a rural area, and the ward area was geographically massive.

It appeared as we approached that the "normal" guy was again in place as the bishop. He walked up to my dad and greeted him. My dad follwed him into an office. (Did they still have those "prayer meetings" before the regular meetings back then? This was in the '90s.)

As my mom stood at the rear of the chapel, looking for a place to sit, my sister walked ahead and sat in a pew about three rows from the back. The rest of us, including my mom, followed. Ten o'clock came and went with about seven people in the pews. At about 10:04, a motely crowd marched in almost as if it was choreographed. One man nudged my brother and said, "Excuse me. You're sitting in our spot." My brother started to argue, but my mom tapped his arm, shook her head no, and got up. We followed her to the second row of the chapel, hoping it wasn't someone else's pew.

One of the counselors conducted the meeting. The bishop sat poker-faced. The jock itch patient -- the other counselor -- scratched. The opening hymn was announced. We would open by singing "Redeemer of Israel," followed by an invocation by Sister Brown. The organist played as an intro the last phrase of "This Land Is Your Land." We sang "Redeemer of Israel" the best we could to the tune of "This Land Is Your Land." It didn't scan all that well, but we went along with it as did everyone else present. At the conclusion of the opening hymn, we heard the sound of a hymnal closing loudly.Sister Brown invocated without incident.

There wasn't any ward business, so we went into the Sacrament. The Sacrament hymn was "God, Our Father, Hear Us Pray," to the tune of "In Humility, Our Savior," [Welsh Hyfrydol] which was a little weird, but seemed conventional compared to the opening hymn. (Once again, the sound of a hymnal being closed forcefully was heard.)

There was a shortage of priests, and Jock Itch Patient WAS asked to fill in. As my sister turned green, my mom whispered, "He's only scratching on the OUTSIDE of his pants." Children behind her heard and giggled. My mom's words were not sufficient consolation, as my sister's normal color failed to return. We all watched to see whether or not we got Jock Itch's tray. We did. It came first to my brother, who whispered, "I'm not worthy" to the deacon who held the tray. He held it for my sister, who shook her head and passed it on. We all passed it on, including my mother. So much for the "he's only scratching on the outside of his pants" rationale. My dad was glared at us from the stand. He was lucky enough to have gotten the other guy's tray.

Bubble Gum Man came around with the brown paper bag. When he got to me, I extended my hand to take some, but my mom loudly hissed, "NO, Scott!"

The counselor then announced the order of the program. A youth speaker would say a few words, followed by a musical number by Brother Gunnison, with my dad concluding the main program of the meeting. Before the youth speaker reached the podium, a woman sitting directly in front of us stood and walked out of the chapel.

The youth speaker was boring as I recall, but most youth speakers were boring as I recall. (His words were accompanied by the almost rhythmic sound of nail clippers in action.) He concluded his remarks, which he read from a sheet of white copier paper previously folded (what appeared to be in eighths). Then Brother Gunnison stood and walked to the microphone. I assumed Thelma Harper's alter ego would accompany him, but she made no move to return to the organ, but sat with her ankles crossed, lips pursed, fanning herself with the printed program. (The woman in front of us who had left the chapel returned and took her place in the front row.)

I assumed Brother Gunnison would then sing a capella. He instead pulled a harmonica from his pocket and played all the way through "Carry On." It wasn't bad as harmonica playing goes, but still it was harmonica playing. (The lady seated on the front row got up again and left the chapel when he reached "And we hear the desert singing," returning as he finished his second verse.) The bishop sat with his head in his hands.

My dad spoke, but none of us heard much of what he said. We were too occupied with the nail clipper, Bubble Gum Man (who made a second round with his brown bag), Lady on the Front Row, who left the chapel and returned a total of six times before the meeting was over, Jock Itch Patient (my mom said she would have bought a can of Cruex and brought it to the meeting to give to him if she had known Annonnn was serious), while looking out for the Attendance Policewoman, who was apparently truant that day, and the clapper, who presumably ditched church along with the Attendance Policewoman.

I didn't mention the chorister, but everything Annonnn said about her was correct. She looked like I would imagine the woman who played Granny Clampett looked about a year after she was interred. She did make figure eights with the baton (which I'm almost positive was actually a green Tinker Toy) at the same dirge-like speed even through the final hymn, which was "Master, the Tempest Is Raging" to the tune of what my Dad later told us was a traditional Scottish clan fight song, "The Campbells Are Coming." It must have somewhat worked, as I noticed my dad singing along. By that point, absolutely nothing seemed out of place.

As a hymnal loudly closed, Brother Zumwalt approched the podium to give the benediction. Before he could get out a word, he let loose with the largest belch I've ever head in my life, directly into the microphone. Even my mother laughed.

Thelma Harper's doppelganger broke into something that sounded vaguely like a song about crawdads. My dad shook hands with the bishop and the counselor who conducted. Jock Itch Patient extended his hand to my dad, but my dad instead clapped him on the shoulder a couple of times, then turned to make his way off the stand. We all made a hasty retreat.

We stopped at an A & W in the next town to pick up burgers and rootbeer floats to eat in the van on the return trip, which was something we never did on a Sunday. My dad must have felt guilty about what he had forced us to endure. When we got home, Annonnn was still sitting on the sofa in her pajamas, waiting to hear how many of her predictions had been accurate.

SORRY FOR THE LENGTH

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 05:51AM by scmd1.

Date: June 23, 2019 06:48AM

Thank you! That was wonderful!

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 11:46PM

Hilarious!!! Great story telling!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 04:27AM

But the church is true, right?

Date: June 24, 2019 05:52AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the church is true, right?

How could it ever be anything but true?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 10:04AM

Thanks scmd, that was a great read :-D

Date: June 24, 2019 02:45PM

I had forgotten about those prayer-meetings before sacrament. When I had been assigned a youth talk, I think that I missed most of them because I was usually late.

I sort of remember that if there was some kind of report that the bishop wanted (I was ward clerk), then it was nearly impossible due to those prayer meetings (don't you dare interrupt) and then his "I have to be friendly and sociable" after sacrament mtg. He usually escorted his first interview after socializing and there would be a line of members after that. I eventually learned whatever report he wanted could wait until he and I reconciled ward data later in the day.

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 08:02PM

Why do Mormons always bless the refreshments after firesides or other functions? I did not know that Punch and Twinkies could be given “divine” attributes to “strengthen our bodies and do us the good we need”.

The most ridiculous and funniest prayer I ever witnessed was at a fireside where someone gave a closing prayer and blessed the refreshments to “strengthen our bodies”. Little did they know what my friends and I prepared for refreshments for that fireside.

Every week my 2 friends and I were always asked to bring cookies or donuts with drinks to the weekly firesides as no one else would pony up any goodies. As teenagers, the price of all these treats took a toll on our meager budgets so we decided to put an end to these relentless requests to supply refreshments once and for all.

In preparation for that night’s fireside, we bought a box of medium sized Milk Bone Dog treats, a can of Hershey chocolate syrup, two bottles of Tonic water, and two bottles of Ginger Ale. While drinking the real Ginger Ale, we dipped 2 dozen or so Milk Bones into the Hershey chocolate sauce and placed them on a cookie sheet in the freezer to give a hard chocolate coating to the dog biscuits. After creating our chocolate “cookies”, we dyed the tonic water yellow and poured it back into the now empty Ginger Ale bottles and resealed the tops. Our “refreshments” were now ready for that evening’s fireside.

The fireside was your typical Mormon youth fireside but as the fireside came to a close, we knew that whoever was asked to give the closing prayer would bless the refreshments. Like clockwork, the “refreshments” were blessed with the worn out traditional phrase “…to strengthen our bodies and do us the good we need…”

I have never had to stifle a laugh so hard in my life. I thought my teeth would shatter from the pressure especially as I opened my eyes only to meet my two friend’s eyes and watching them go through the same torture of burying a laugh as I was going through.

At long last, the prayer was over and we stood up and walk over to the kitchen. I grabbed the treats and my friends grabbed the altered “Ginger Ale” and we spread them out for all to enjoy. I could not take it anymore so I stuck my head into a broom closet to try and compose myself without anyone asking why I had such a smirk on my face.

The three of us watched from a short distance as people begin to bite down on our special “cookies” and I remember one of the boys biting down hard producing a loud crack as the Milk Bone biscuit snapped in his mouth. With a loud voice, and with the Bishop standing behind him, he said “What the f**k are these?” The facial expression on the Bishop was priceless.

That remark was the last straw for my two friends and I. We could not hold in or stifle the laughing anymore so we snuck out the back door to the car. Once in the car, we broke out in such laughter I thought we would all pass out. We laughed so hard and so long that we almost got into a car wreck on the way home.

We did learn that all our special “cookies” were eaten. This was a good thing as they were blessed. In fact, we did notice later on in the week, that those who partook of the goodies, their hair looked a bit more shiny than before and their teeth were free of tarter.

Date: June 26, 2019 12:29AM

Great memories.

Once at a BYU ward function my brother gave the closing prayer, which was also intended to be the blessing on the refreshments. Instead of the usual "nourish and strengthen our bodies" line, he said something about "please protect us from any salmonella or other pathogens." His bishop was not amused.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 04:10PM by scmd1.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 27, 2019 11:19AM

You made my day! What a hoot!

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: June 27, 2019 07:46PM

One MIA night when I was 14 (early 70’s), the MIA was having a dance. I and 2 other friends decided to have some fun by turning off the main power switch to the church building. We drew straws to see who would be the “Son of Perdition” to lead the entire MIA into outer darkness. The straws were pulled and it fell upon me to perform this transgression.

The Main power switch was located on the stage in a panel on one side of the stage and there was a window on the opposite side of the stage. In order to buy myself time to flip the switch and be able to get to the window and jump out, I piled up several metal folding chairs in the stair well that accessed the side of the stage where the electrical panels were. My friends, by now, had quietly slipped out the window and headed to our pre-arranged meeting site outside.

With the chairs in place and the window open, I quietly opened the panel housing the main switch. It was very large and I decided to flip the switch in the middle of a song hoping the music would drown out the sound of the switch clicking off.

The moment of truth was now upon me. So with a great effort I pushed on the lever and tripped it with a mighty snap. Thick darkness quickly engulfed the whole building. Girls began to scream and the music on the record player slowly ground to a halt.

As I began to run across the stage to the open window, I could hear the adult leaders scrambling up the stairs while stumbling across the strategically placed metal folding chairs and themselves in the darkness. I never knew so many colorful metaphors could be uttered by our priesthood leadership as they struggled through the tangling and collapsing folding chairs to reach the switch and to apprehend the fiend who would defile their sacred MIA dance. And no, I did not utter any Masonic phrases as I dove out the window.

Once I was outside, I and my two friends met at our pre-arranged spot to gaze upon the great and spacious building before us, now dark. Oh, how great was our joy and loud laughter at this marvelous work and a wonder. We almost passed out from not being able to breathe due to our laughter.

Before the lights were restored, we snuck back in a back door and split up so when the lights were finally restored, we looked as though we were there all the time. I strategically placed myself at the punch bowl trying to keep a look on my face of bewilderment like everyone else to avoid suspicion. My two friends did likewise at different places in the cultural hall.

To this day, no one knows who the “Son of Perdition” was that cast the entire MIA into outer darkness on that memorable Tuesday night.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.