Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 05:49PM

I moved away from Utah and left the church about 15 years ago. My siblings remained in Utah and remained active.

I was talking with my sister the other day. She was complaining about profanity and how it's become so pervasive in Utah over the last 4-5 years.

I said, "It's been that way for years out here. I think you get used to it. I don't even notice most of it any more."

"In fact," I said, "the profanity that bothered me the most was when people said, 'Jesus Christ.' I thought that was uncalled for and totally disrespectful. But that doesn't even really bother me much any more."

She said, "Well, of course. You don't have any feelings for Jesus Christ any more."

That really raised my hackles! And I said, "What do you mean? I probably have more positive feelings about Jesus Christ than most Christians do. And certainly I follow his teaching better than most. I can't believe you are saying that!" I think that (if he really existed) he was a leader we all should emulate."

I think she (and others) have a very shallow view of what people think when they leave the church. And we are quite close. I was shocked that she would say such a thing, and I let her know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 06:36PM

Now that we are, generally speaking, all potty-mouths, how on earth do the potty-mouths denote the possible difference between being cut off in traffic by a driver who just realized his/her left turn is coming up and seeing one's friends and family gunned down at an outdoor music concert?

The words are the same, so is it the tone, the timbre, the volume, the repetition?

Date: June 19, 2019 06:43PM

So I'm not sure what your comment refers to. My whole point was that just because we've left the church, doesn't mean that we become potty mouths or start embracing all the things discouraged by the church rules.

My point is: WHY do church members assume that?
It really bugs me.

(I wouldn't use profanity in either of your scenarios.) I didn't start swearing just because I decided the church wasn't true.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 06:55PM

I know what you mean. Leave the church and have one drink and they assume you are an alcoholic.

Some of the least Christlike people I know are Christians.

You handled that situation well.

Date: June 19, 2019 06:57PM

Oops! My apologies!

See, I HAVE become a potty-mouth! It was a very slow progression but it really accelerated about eight years ago. And now I am one of those people whom I described: the same litany of offensive words pour out of my mouth at the slightest frustration, leaving me no room to escalate! A stubbed toe or the end of the world, I have only one verbal response!

My only salvation is that this only happens when I am alone or with my inamorata, who was my instructor.

In public, I am able to control my tongue, but it sometimes bugs me. I can say, "Oh, dear!" with the best of them.

The younger generation, which appears to describe the vast majority of the 122,000 registered r/exmormon redditors, spew the grossest of language there, as if it were a lingua franca all should hold in common.

Again, I apologize for being so boorish as to not get your exact meaning.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 07:11PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> In public, I am able to control my tongue, but it
> sometimes bugs me. I can say, "Oh, dear!" with
> the best of them.

Most people are unaware that expressions like "Oh, dear!" and "Dear Me!" are actually corruptions (anglicizations) of the Italian "O Dio" and "Dio mio!" which literally mean "Oh God!" and "My God!"

In Germany the phrase "Mein Gott!" is very common, even used by pious old grandmothers when the soup isn't hot enough or when she has dropped a needle.
Sexual terms are rarely used as swear words. The most common Bavarian swear word is "Sapperment!" (a corruption of "sacramentum") It has become so weak that it is often stated as "Sapperment nochmal!" ("sacrement again!").

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:08PM

isn't effective as a way of releasing negative energy. If you put two people in a room who are not sensitive to "foul language" there actually is no problem. There always has to be at least one sensitive person present or listening in to make mere words into significant problems.

Mormons hilariously have adopted foul-word equivalents (easily recognizable as such) to deploy as their own expletives of choice.

SHOOT! (Everyone knows it's a substitute for sh*t!)

FUDGE! (Everyone knows it's a substitute for f**k!)

DARN! (Everyone knows it's a substitute for damn!)

GOSH! (Everyone knows it's a substitute for God!)

HECK! (Everyone knows it's a substitute for hell! This one is particularly funny to me. Why do they avoid saying the word hell? Is there some scripture somewhere that says that "thou shalt not take the name of hell in vain? I don't recall there being anything like that.)

And so on...

Why are their expletive substitutes okay, when everyone knows that they have the same intent behind them and that the speakers are going for the same effect?

And while we're on the subject, why is "crap" deemed to be better than sh*t? Sometimes I think everyone is just full of bovine excrement.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 04:46PM

"Oh my word!"

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 09:02PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Oops! My apologies!
>
> See, I HAVE become a potty-mouth! It was a very
> slow progression but it really accelerated about
> eight years ago. And now I am one of those people
> whom I described: the same litany of offensive
> words pour out of my mouth at the slightest
> frustration, leaving me no room to escalate! A
> stubbed toe or the end of the world, I have only
> one verbal response!
>
> My only salvation is that this only happens when I
> am alone or with my inamorata, who was my
> instructor.
>
> In public, I am able to control my tongue, but it
> sometimes bugs me. I can say, "Oh, dear!" with
> the best of them.
>
> The younger generation, which appears to describe
> the vast majority of the 122,000 registered
> r/exmormon redditors, spew the grossest of
> language there, as if it were a lingua franca all
> should hold in common.
>
> Again, I apologize for being so boorish as to not
> get your exact meaning.

you make my heart swell with pride mi Vida... You learned

well.

Date: June 19, 2019 09:10PM

> you make my heart swell
> with pride mi Vida...
> You learned well.

T'was labor of love!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 06:49PM

Well, in Utah, (still the same from 15 years ago), mormons put more stock in what you say, than what you do. It's why the sheep fall victims to financial predators that say the right things.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 06:58PM

MORmONS can be profanely STUPID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40kxjBTTQSA

There is NOTHING more profane that MORmON executives willing taking upon themselves the sacred title of "apostle"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52XoDQL8lmg

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 10:52PM

The saying isn't "Jesus Christ", it's "Jesus H Christ". The mormons don't worship the true Jesus anyway. Maybe the Mormon Jesus is Just some guy from Mexico named Jesus (pronounced Hasus) anyway. He might as well be considering how they've bastardized everything the Jesus of the New Testament stood for and used his name to cash-in on financially, and to hide from their "Mormon" name which now has a bad reputation. If President Nelson gave a rat's ass about the real Jesus, he would be apologizing on behalf of the church and making radical changes to make the church be a friendly place to associate, without anyone being taken advantage of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 11:03PM by azsteve.

Date: June 21, 2019 12:58AM

His middle name makes perfect sense when you examine the Horus mythology.

His enemy was Set (who apparently later changed his stage name to Satan).

Horus was a resurrected being. Pre-resurrection he was known as Osiris. Evil Set killed Osiris. But the Holy Mother, Isis, found Osiris's richard and it had enough DNA in it that it could be used to spawn a clone that would be known as Horus, the "son" of Osiris and begotten by Osiris's own richard.

So now we can see where the "H" in Jesus H. Christ comes from.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 01:13AM

A quick note on Satan.

That name comes from Indo-European. Satan is Shaaitan in Hindi, meaning "devil," so it is not Semitic.

"Christ" is the same. The Hindi correlate is Krishna, the God who takes on human form. Christ is said to come through Greek, which makes sense since Greek derived from the same proto-Indo-European substrate as Latin and Hittite and Persian and Hindi.

So as you note, the original myths came from Egypt, Canaan, and Mesopotamia Then there is the ca 600 BCE influence from Iran, also Indo-European and reflected in the Book of Job, the Second Book of Daniel, etc. Then finally there was the Hellenic influence in the last centuries BCE.

"Satan" seems to have entered the Jewish tradition during the captivity at around 600 BCE, which would suggest adoption from Zoroastrian Iranian.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 10:20AM

I learn so much at RfM!

Thanks Wally and Ms Lot

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 12:06PM

I seem to recall reading that "Lucifer" came from early Jewish mythology. Lucifer (from what I can recall) started out as a rather benign heavenly being who was something akin to a messenger, not unlike the Roman god Mercury. His identity evolved over time.

I have no idea how Lucifer and Satan became combined.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:16PM

cuss words. When she wasn't mormon, she was the one who used the F word the most. I have a potty mouth, but it started when I had twins.

I first had a potty mouth when I hoed beets for my dad and I made myself stop. Then I had twins. My "husband" didn't like that I cussed. I cuss the most when working--cussing at the poor dictation habits of doctors. My dogs leave the room as they know what is coming.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:29PM

It’s scientifically proven that cursing raises pain tolerance. I’ll bet there was plenty of salty talk in the handcart companies.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201705/swearing-can-boost-strength-and-reduce-the-sensation-pain

Date: June 19, 2019 11:43PM

Clean version:

Betty: "My dear Louis, why are your brows furrowed with lines of worry?"

Louis: "Well, Betty, this handcart that we purchased based on the recommendation from the Prophet Brigham Young appears to be of somewhat lower quality construction and materials than we believed and now I have noticed a cracking phenomenon appearing in the left wheel and I have some degree of uncertainty as to whether the wheel will hold up for the duration of our journey. This is most concerning and is a matter that is best taken up with our Heavenly Father in an attitude of humble prayer and beseeching."

Real Version:

Betty: "Louis, you look to be gettin' in one of those nasty moods! What's the trouble?"

Louis: @#!$!! $#&@@@!!! Brigham ^%$%@! Young...that pompous assw!@3pe! He done sold us some dirty rotten !@#@@%^!!! And I bet ya anythin' we all gonna die on account of it! #@$%!!

Date: June 23, 2019 08:03AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> It’s scientifically proven that cursing raises
> pain tolerance. I’ll bet there was plenty of
> salty talk in the handcart companies.

If done correctly it makes a person breathe, so .....

Date: June 19, 2019 11:37PM

So WHAT is more profane than MORmONISM ???

There is the MORmON version of the Jesus character.

The Jesus character has to agree, before mortality, to be brutally tortured to death in mortality ......and to endure some incomprehensible agony of the MORmON version of the incomprehensible atonement in order to make every thing work and to keep Heavenly Father and eternal law happy .......OH and BTW HF is great guy besides His personal penchant and insistence for His ONLY Son to endure incomprehensible agony !!!! and letting a third of the spirits children wander off to irredeemable permanent condemnation !!! despite the fact that Jesus is going through incomprehensible agony for the atonement anyway!!!!! ......All that done in the interest of preserving all important free agency !!!!! Then when mortality has trundled along for thousands of years, MORmON Jesus has to coerce POOR POOR Joseph Smith into "marrying" teen age girls ...... Screwing Free agency so much like what Joseph SMith is compelled to do to his teen age plural brides !!!!

MORmONISM is PROFANE!!! MORmONISM is PROFANITY !!! IT is the ultimate PROFANITY !!! of Christianity !!! GO AHEAD!!!! try to top MORmONISM in PROFANITY!!!! I DARE ANYONE !!!! I CHALLENGE YOU !!!!!

Date: June 20, 2019 12:00PM

people might have caught the gist of my post.

The point was that my Utah sister assumed that I didn't care about Jesus Christ because I'd left the Mormon church.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 04:54PM

I think with a lot of mormons, either you are "with them" or "against them", it's very black and white. If you aren't mormon anymore, you have abandoned ALL their teachings and can't possibly care about Jesus anymore because they "obviously" teach the best stuff about him.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 04:51PM

If Jesus came back the way he was, the Mormons would sell the nails and wood to crucify him.

Date: June 23, 2019 08:07AM

Right after Jesus whipped the MOReMONey changer ASSpostHOLES out of their temple. But first he would have Sandra Tanner baptize Him in the fountain on temple square.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 12:30PM

Jesus Christ is a Greek title for Him. When the title is used as a swear word, it's the same as, for example: " Vice President of the United States!"The title isn't the real name.

Date: June 23, 2019 08:00AM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
> Jesus Christ is a Greek title for Him. When the
> title is used as a swear word, it's the same as,
> for example: " Vice President of the United
> States!"The title isn't the real name.

Jesus Fucking Christ !!!! the MORmON version!!! who had to have polygamy!!!

......and the Regular one !!! are you kidding ????? so it's a made up title for a person that never really lived !!!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 10:00AM

Yep, it's a title; with a shock factor equivalent to: "Shut the front door". :D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.