Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 12:55PM

To you personally, what's the most wildly (nonsexually themed & nonviolent) OT thing we could discuss here on RfM?

I gotz ta know!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 01:04PM

42?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 02:10PM

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 01:06PM

Yesterday, while reading the "Wanting to leave the church but not sure how to talk to Bishop" thread, I was tempted to post "bitch slap him!" I decided not to, of course because it'd be wild and inappropriate (although not completely off topic). But one can dream...

Date: June 21, 2019 01:15PM

Remember when Bart Simpson ran around kicking kids in the balls because it was one and done?

That'd probably work with the bullshizer priesthood holders, but what happens when you want to bring down the RSP?

Date: June 21, 2019 01:18PM

Okay, here's my thought:

How vicious would it get here if we tried to psychoanalyze the motives behind what some of us self-report?

We daren't do so, but man, my imagination has a blast, even imagining what some here think of me and my motivations!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 01:33PM

hehehe

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 01:34PM

Anybody could post something wildly OT and usually does. I can't dream up what has already been done.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 02:16PM

Solipsism?

Date: June 21, 2019 02:18PM

What good is any proof that I exist going to do for you?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 02:24PM

Make up a story about a gut that got gold plates from god and used them to bang women and girls from New York to Illinois.

Date: June 21, 2019 02:27PM

that would be both wild AND tawdry!! Bonus!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:46PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that would be both wild AND tawdry!! Bonus!

And double points in the bonus round.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 03:41PM

Frontier version of “Get rich or die tryin’”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 03:43PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 08:33PM

Describe a day in you life at the worst job you ever had. (potential for some really good character development)Lol's

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 01:44PM

although I have had some that could compete.

I deleted it because it wasn't funny. I wish I could make it funny!!! ha ha ha

I'm not there and I'm not at Sam's and I'm happy with my current job and I get to start SS . . . I'll be 62 any day now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 01:49PM by cl2.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 02:30PM

I read it before you scrubbed it. Yep, not funny. Infuriating, actually.

I wish you well and wish very much that you, at 60+, living in the richest country in the world, didn’t have to experience such misery. It’s an outrage.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 07:20PM

Oh, my. This goes back maybe a dozen years. I was teaching in a city neighborhood that could be described as sketchy at best. I had forty-two fourth graders in my classroom. That's right, 42. When administrators would bring me a new student, I literally had no idea where to seat the kid. By the end of the year, I had gotten 4 or 5 of them into ED programs (programs for the emotionally disturbed.) It is almost impossible to get students into these programs, but that was my group.

They would throw books and pencils out of my second floor window. Every afternoon after school I would pick up books and pencils off of the pavement below. One kid dumped soda into my papers and files. One kid, on several occasions, destroyed my room -- he ripped everything off the walls, overturned furniture, and threw any small object that could be thrown. One principal from another school came to observe my class. She was shocked that the kids were swearing. I remember thinking to myself, lady, that is the least of my problems. If I had sent a child to the office for swearing, my principal would have treated me like I had grown two heads.

And then there were the fights. I became adept at separating fighting students (I no longer do that -- too much potential for injury.) I got assaulted a few times myself.

It was barely teaching, although I tried my best. As one friend put it, chaos could be breaking out and I would still teach. When you have more than 40 needy students in one room, you are not teaching, you are warehousing them.

It was my worst year in the classroom, although I've had others that were close.

And *some* people think teachers don't earn their salaries.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 07:31PM

It sounds like you could get employment in the concentration camps on the border, too. They could use qualified teachers who've had to deal with big classes.

You wouldn't get paid commensurately, of course, so there's that...

Posted by: Really? ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 07:57PM

What concentration camps?

Date: June 22, 2019 08:08PM

Going on a mission is sort of like being a concentration camp prisoner. Which why at the end of your mission, you get released.

Date: June 22, 2019 08:29PM

The term "concentration camp" long antecedes World War Two. the British used concentration camps when fighting the Boers in South Africa, the US when interning the Japanese in WWII, and any number of other countries have done it many times. It wasn't a good thing; it was almost always based on ethnicity or religion or nationality, and conditions were far from "free" and sometimes not even hygenic. But these camps were not part of a penile system or a genocidal process.

I am merely using the term "concentration camp" in its historical, i.e., non-Nazi form, to describe the concentration of aspiring immigrants and refugees in closed camps along the southern border. My point was that summer appears to have had extensive experience teaching and caring for children in suboptimal conditions.

She would be great in those camps--assuming she could tolerate conditions there.

Date: June 22, 2019 08:43PM

Well, whattaya know! Wikipedia says that there was a US Government agency tasked with oversight of the schooling of Japanese children during their internment (or 'concentration') during WWII.

Here's a bit of Olddog Family apocryphal history: Uncle Lee, whose nickname was Chino, because he looked Asian (at the time he looked Oriental, but that's out now), used scotch tape to create epicanthic folds and then snuck into Manzanar because he was hot for a young Japanese girl he'd been dating. He liked it so much, compared to life in Hollywood as a Chino-Mexican, that he stayed there until they began recruiting for the 442nd Infantry Regiment, which he had no desire to join, so he took off the scotch tape and left the camp, got back to LA and found a draft notice waiting for him. He went on to perform many Byronic deeds.

Date: June 22, 2019 08:54PM

Byronic deeds?? That adds about three ethnicities to the story, does it not?

I have older friends who lived in the concentration camps. Their kids and grandkids heard a lot about living in the camps but did not know the reference was to the internment camps rather than summer camps until college age or later. It was a huge embarrassment to the actual "campers" and something they viewed as a stain on their names and their ethnicity. This was when most of those families lost the Japanese language. The interned did not want their children learning the tongue and hence stopped speaking it at home. It was a tremendous loss.

One of these men was admitted to do a Ph.D. at Berkeley but was then sent away to camp. When he returned, the university refused to accept him, so he became a gardener. Another was a child when interned. He grew up and achieved considerable academic success but was a permanently angry man and could not hold a marriage together. Most of the Japanese in the concentration camps had their homes and properties taken by their white neighbors and could not get them back when they returned to their home communities.

The Methodists resisted this. Many of them prevented the occupation of Japanese homes and farms, sometimes moving in until the Japanese came home, and then returned the properties to their rightful owners. That made a deep impression on West-Coast Japanese, a very high proportion of whom then joined that religion.

Concentration camps impose great costs on people even if there is never any question of death.

Date: June 22, 2019 09:10PM

I'm not trying to brag (yes I am!), but I was born in Methodist Hospital in LA, to a Methodist Mexican mother who had attended the Francis De Pauw School, in Hollywood, after running away from home in Fresno when her father told her that 8th grade was more than enough edumacation for a girl.

So I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Methodists, and by extension, methadoneists...only seems fair...

Date: June 22, 2019 09:12PM

I'm more of a Madonnaist. Does that count?

Date: June 22, 2019 09:32PM

I looked it up. ...It's Borderline...

Date: June 22, 2019 09:36PM

I stick my tongue out at you.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 01:09PM

Cookery? Not seen that on here.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 02:25PM

I have a habit, some say a “disgusting habit”, of peeling my finger and toe nails to a nice trim instead of using the civilizing implement called “nail clippers”.

Who’s with me?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 02:52PM

Human Wrote:
> I have a habit, some say a “disgusting habit”,
> of peeling my finger and toe nails to a nice trim
> instead of using the civilizing implement called
> “nail clippers”.
>
> Who’s with me?

Ouch !!!!!!! Not with you.

Date: June 22, 2019 08:29PM

Thank you for sharing that.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 04:22PM

Human Wrote:
> I have a habit, some say a “disgusting habit”,
> of peeling my finger and toe nails to a nice trim
> instead of using the civilizing implement called
> “nail clippers”.
>
> Who’s with me?

Sorry, but TMI! EWW

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 06:52PM

Home remedies for summer foot odor?

Whether criticism of genre fiction is justified and offer some criticism of "literary" fiction. I have a BA in English and love genre fiction.

Trying to make a list of what could be official State/Provincial bad movies. The rule would be that the movie would have to be 1. filmed and preferably set in the state/province it is nominated for and 2. it would have to suck more than a Shop Vac.

Okay, the last one may have something to do with Mormon films.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 06:59PM by ookami.

Date: June 22, 2019 08:17PM

I literally write illiterate fiction, which I give away for a price.

Date: June 22, 2019 08:30PM

Will you throw in your signs and tokens? I hear people can make bank selling those.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 08:42PM

Maybe he could have a special sale. "Buy two books, get a free sign or token!"

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 10:00PM

Well, I guess that counts out the many "What Disney character would you do" threads :P

Date: June 24, 2019 10:20PM

Listen, Daisy Duck is everything she's quacked up to be!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 04:56AM

I always felt that Daisy had far more substance to her than did Minnie Mouse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.