Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 07:52PM

"No Crime in Sin"

I am an avid reader on this forum and was quite surprised this hadn't shown up already. I thought I would put the link here for everybody to read. The title above is the name of the documentary about a family's sexual abuse while in the LDS church and the leadership covering it up. It is being shown at the Rose Wagner Theater in Sale Lake City. It began it's showing on Thursday June 20th.

https://fox13now.com/2019/06/20/no-crime-in-sin-which-documents-a-utah-familys-struggle-with-sex-abuse-premiers-thursday/

I am going to see this and hope I can get my husband to go with me as he was sexually abused by his Mormon uncle from 9 to 12 years old and nothing was ever done about it. His uncle is dead now, and if there is a hell, I hope Satan's minions are shoving pitch forks up every one of his orifice every second.

I never knew he had been sexually abused. Earlier this year on HBO, I began watching the documentary on Michael Jackson and the sexual abuse of 2 men when they were younger. DH didn't want to watch it but was listening in another room. 10 minutes into the documentary he came in the room and watched the entire documentary including the Oprah interview after. He never said a word and showed no emotion which was strange as he is Italian and full of emotions. Where as I am ususally the one he refers to as "The Vulcan". He frequently calls me that, which makes me giggle. BTW, we are two dudes who have been together 14 years now. Anyway, that show really pushed my emotional button and I was constantly wiping away tears by the end.

After the show, he decided to tell me everything that happened to him with his uncle and how his parents and the church did nothing about it. There were several similarities with what he told me and the Michael Jackson documentary. He is now in therapy and now I understand why he has PTSD. He thought I would be mad at him for not telling after being together for 14 years. I wasn't of course. That is a very personal thing to deal with and I let him know "I am here to help you now."

P.S. His therapist told us it might be good for him to see how others have dealt with sexual abuse. I won't push it.

Peace be with you

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 08:43PM

There are many on the board who were sexually abused. I have some in my family who were also sexually abused. I also know several families that I grew up by who had sexual abuse. One father went to prison for 15 years and is no longer allowed in the town they grew up in. This man affected one of my good friend's families and a few I grew up with--all by this one man because the people I knew married into the family. It came out when the oldest got into her 40s. The mother participate and was excommunicated.

My good friend, whose granddaughter (and ex daugher-in-law was also abused extensively) was also abused by this man, her grandfather, said that the ward bent over backwards to fellowship the excommunicated mother/grandmother. It infuriated my friend. She had a difficult time going to church after that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.