Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 05:16PM

Three true stories that happened to me circa 1975-1976:

1) We were still in bed one morning at our pensiĆ³n (apartment) when a group of armed soldiers and plain clothes dudes came into our room. They wanted to see our documents (identifications) and to know what we were doing in their country. They didn't detain us but it was pretty intimidating. During my entire mission, I only had a receipt indicating I had applied for a "documento" which all citizens and foreigners there on a visa were supposed to have in their possession at all times. Here's a brainy idea: the president kept our actual passports locked away in the mission offices.

2) We were cleaning a baptismal font one morning in the rented space we used for meetings. My companion started feeling funny and walked out to the street. I began feeling light headed and left. It turned out there was a gas leak. Later we attended that baptism but the next 24 hours we had to stay in bed with the worst pounding headache I can remember having. Earlier in the mission, two elders died from asphyxiation in the small room they were renting. Gas leaks are deadly!!!

3) The month before I came home, I was hospitalized with meningitis. Years later, my mom said they didn't actually know I was sick until the mission president wrote to them. I now have his letter stating that the doctor "thought" I had meningitis due to my very high fever. He wrote that after a blessing, I "recovered in two days and everything was back to normal."

BS!!! I was hospitalized with an extreme headache, stiff neck (I couldn't touch my chin to my chest), and light sensitivity that no OTC meds could touch. In the hospital, they did a spinal tap, told me I had meningitis, and gave me three days of round the clock shots before releasing me. I spent an additional week in bed at our apartment. When I started tracting again, I was still weak and sensitive to the bright summer sun. Luckily, I was on my way home two and a half weeks after a follow up with the neurologist.

Cuz X

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 05:25PM by cuzx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 06:06PM

I once got a half day off from tracting by insisting that I wanted a doctor to look at my athlete's foot. We stopped in at a clinic and I got a nice swabbing of potassium permanganate and was told to stay off my feet for the rest of the day. SCORE!!!

This was with my last Senior Companion and I think he was worried that my slackardly ways would be held against him. I recall hearing him arguing with ghawd that it wasn't his fault someone didn't get their chance to hear about the gospel. He sold me out!

I had a great time in old Mexico! Arriba los Frijoles. Free the Joles!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.