Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 12:42PM

Believers are not banned from RFM, unlike mormon apologists. Most here have heard all the arguments trying to prove the existence of god. None are compelling. That's why we're here, for the most part.

So why do some persist? Why not simply state that you are a believer and leave it at that? The same old arguments not only bore but they annoy since they're so flimsy.

If I wanted to hear irrational arguments about such things I'd seek out a church.

Feel free to believe. I'm sure you have your reasons. That's fine. But don't try to convince us with the same tired reasoning.

I'm also sure there are lots of fabulous venues to explore for people of faith. I'm also sure it's no fun to have your arguments picked apart here. So, why do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 12:46PM

All I have to say is that Judaism started 3,500 years ago and was the first monotheistic faith. And Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden, where they talked to God and had a pet snake.

It is important to me that you acknowledge those facts.

Date: June 25, 2019 12:49PM

And....they were naked. My favorite factoid is about the floating zoo where god killed all his creations and got a clean slate to try again.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 12:47PM

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 12:52PM

>> Isn't this just for RFM? What they become next is their problem (n/t)

Exactly.....people are tired of hearing about the problem they have become, and that becomes everyone's problem.

I agree with the OP. Believe what you want, but at some point, there is no need to continue on, and on, and on about it, especially when the reasons sated in OP apply.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:12PM

Why is it done: Attention!

"Attention all passengers..."

When you look at the 'post count' of a certain group of us, you'll find big numbers. And to keep the post count up, we bigger-number posters (entertainers) have to interact with one another. We've become an ensemble: "Hey, it's the ____, ____, ____, ____, ____, ____, ____, etc. RfM Show!" (sorry if I forgot anyone!)

There is an audience for this show and shout-outs from the audience are both encouraged and necessary! I'm of the opinion that there are plenty of lurkers. Remember when Eric would post the number of hits the site gets per 'whatever'? We're doing okay and we keep getting renewed!

Anyone with sufficient 'talent' can try out and become a regular. But there's a problem, as in "Ay, and there's the rub..." You have to bring a talent that is relevant.

Trying to use religious belief, or genealogical connections, as your 'talent' just doesn't fly here.

It may be cruel, but "funny" pretty much always works, and you can't fake funny. And it's painful to watch someone try.

One particular religion is the direct cause of this website and 'hating' on it, and sometimes its members are the primary foci. If you don't keep these foci, you're not going to be in the cast dressing room; you're going to be in closest, on which you're hung your own paper-mache star.

Yeah, this is high school all over again.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:45PM

Sums up life around here quite nicely, EOD.

Date: June 25, 2019 01:48PM

Doc, I believe myself to be a realist. Saves a lot of wear and tear.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:03PM

Though I rearrange thoraces for a living, I'm not actually cerebral enough to discuss the headier existential/philosphical subject matter, though I enjoy reading it. I leave that for the likes of you, LW,, and others who are more capable than I.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:17PM

It works as much to the contrary. Atheists spend an inordinate amount of time attacking believers as if by doing so they might annihilate their belief in the existence of a divine creator.

I figure if an atheist is so sure of themselves, what then are they so afraid of that they have to prove God isn't real by arguing him into non-existence?

Believers are free to believe and express themselves. The attacks come from the atheist camp against believers for believing in deity.

One doesn't prove or disprove the existence of God. You either accept he is real, or you don't. It is my belief that to live your life without a reverence for the divine is to miss the miraculous in every living thing. I choose to embrace the miracle of life. Each day is a gift. We never know when it may come to an end. "There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle." (Albert)

I believe if there is a creator and a judgment for our lives then we will answer when our time is up on this earth for how we live our lives, and the choices we make. It doesn't have to matter to others to matter to believers. Each person is responsible for his or her own salvation. Or not. It comes down to a value judgment based on personal belief.

Date: June 25, 2019 01:32PM

>> Atheists spend an inordinate amount of time attacking believers as if by doing so they might annihilate their belief in the existence of a divine creator.

Not so. Atheist attack the shoddy rationale that the believer tries to pass off as truth. The attack is on the message, not the messenger. It may be "your" truth, but you know what, I'm interested in "your" truth. I'm interested in "our" truth....the kind that applies to all of us and provides the same results.

Believe what you want, explain it how you want, but don't expect anyone to feel the same or think you have some insight others don't. You see what you want. When we all see the same thing, it's real....or we're all on the same drug:)

Date: June 25, 2019 01:48PM

Both sides proselytize almost as the Mormons we once were.

Date: June 25, 2019 02:03PM

scmd1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both sides proselytize almost as the Mormons we
> once were.

It's not an uncommon thing. Sometimes people try to leave something, but do not consciously leave it all behind.

Date: June 25, 2019 03:14PM

>> Both sides proselytize almost as the Mormons we once were.

Believer: I believe in the bible and god and creation and Adam and Eve! This belief makes me so happy and gives me comfort and I want others to know this.

Atheist: I think your rationale for belief in god is weak and is nothing more than a personal choice.

How is the atheist "proselytizing"?

Is a mormon investigator "proselytizing" if they say they don't believe what the mormon missionaries are telling them they believe?

Date: June 25, 2019 03:48PM

Belief or nonbelief in deity has little to nothing to do with the mission of this board. Dwelling on either aspect could be construed to be proselytism.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:07PM

>> Belief or non-belief in deity has little to nothing to do with the mission of this board.

Agreed. That's why the only time I bring up non-belief is when believers bring up their belief, the reasons for which I find severely lacking.

>> Dwelling on either aspect could be construed to be proselytism.

Proselytize - convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another.

Atheist aren't trying to convert believers to non-belief, they're just pointing out the absurd rationale that is often used to support belief.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:20PM

> Atheist aren't trying to convert believers to
> non-belief, they're just pointing out the absurd
> rationale that is often used to support belief.

None of us is privy to the true motivation of anyone else. The atheist agenda here sometimes comes across to me as every bit as evangelical in intent as is that of the believers.

Date: June 25, 2019 08:19PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------
> Atheist aren't trying to convert believers to
> non-belief, they're just pointing out the absurd
> rationale that is often used to support belief.

These are often effectively one and the same. I have seen many atheists proselytize.

Perhaps what we have here is a reverse Pascal's Wager - if we bet o. The idea of no God, does it matter most of the time if someone believes in one?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 04:38PM

Agree. Atheists, a few of them, proselytize here a lot and it is allowed, but let a Christian try the to do same and they are shut down. There is a double standard and I don't like it. Never have. The same standard should apply to everyone. Both sides have used flawed logic too.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 02:06PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Believers are free to believe and express
> themselves. The attacks come from the atheist camp
> against believers for believing in deity.

There is not much reason in couching atheistic skepticism as attacks. I believe atheists are singled out because of their skepticism and not anything they believe or don't believe.

Only fragile faith feels attacked when dealing with aggressive skepticism.

Posted by: An observer ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:19PM

The constant efforts of atheists to discredit all religions naturally puts people on the defensive. The proselytizing from that side is every bit as obnoxious as door-to-door missionaries. What makes it worse here is the continual stream of insults to people who believe in *anything*.

If the atheists would learn some social skills and/or get their aggression under control and not constantly attack others, it would help a lot. Even if they're right (and in some cases, they're not -- I see a lot of overgeneralizations based in ideology rather than thoughtful critiques coming from atheists here), they're still behaving inappropriately. I've been reading this board on & off for many years as someone interested in cults, and the unchecked aggression has been a problem for a long time.

Date: June 25, 2019 01:38PM

> the unchecked aggression has
> been a problem for a long time.

Like since Cain killed Able?

The theme of this website is recovery from mormonism. If you're more comforted by reading Amyjo that in being entertained by the primary focus of RfM, I would wish to be religious again so I could pray for you.

Bona Dea is a classy deist. Yes, I can hear the boo's raining down, but she is a classy deist thanks to the example of Amyjo. But why on earth would a classy deist persist in pushing deism on this website? The answer is that no classy deist would!

Bona Dea, and by extension the other classy deists, are not here to promulgate deism but to promote recovery from mormonism. Amyjo is here to promote "hey, look at Amyjo!" Just as is Jordan. Which is fine, but their acts aren't selling! It's that simple! People come here to see the same old, same old.

Of course, this is just my opinion, of which I am inordinately proud.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:43PM

Thank you for calling me claasy. I don't try to promote theism, but recoverd Mormons come in all flavors. Some believe, some don't. It should be possible to discuss the existence of God or lack thereof by both sides and with out insults or claiming to have the only truth. I see a double standard.here. I don't start these discussions but weigh in when some angry atheists get nasty or someone else brings the subject up. I don't care what others believe, but I dont liie double standards or arrogance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 04:55PM by bona dea.

Date: June 25, 2019 02:01PM

This false dichotomy of "believer" vs "non-believer" is of no use to anyone. Apart from the fact it sidelines agnostics etc, it also neglects to mention many atheists are "believers" of some sort, or act like true believers

Not that is always a bad thing...

Sometimes it is good to believe in something, if only your friends or children. If you become one of those po-mo deconstructionists trying to rip apart everything, you will end up in moral relativism which may have you believing perverts and criminals are misunderstood good people.

Date: June 25, 2019 02:10PM

Jordan Wrote:
> If you become one
> of those po-mo deconstructionists trying to rip
> apart everything, you will end up in moral
> relativism which may have you believing perverts
> and criminals are misunderstood good people.

I knew your brush was broad and your paint painfully thick. I don't believe in Jesus but at least he wouldn't throw stones like you do.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:33PM

I love the arguments from both sides... even though I tend to find that the atheist are more realistic and grounded where the religious tend to be ethereal... I am fortunate that I don't bother my head with mental gymnastics. I am an atheist. I don't believe in your "god". Done!

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 02:05PM

I used to spend a lot of time trying to tell people about the Federal Reserve because it is neither Federal nor a reserve. Finally my kids had to tell me to stop because they just didn't care. I took the hint.
Same with religion, and recovering from mormonism. I sometimes enjoy talking about it with people, but some people just don't care. Know your audience, have a good time, live long and prosper. Amen

Date: June 25, 2019 02:11PM

robinsaintcloud Wrote:
> I used to spend a lot of time trying to tell
> people about the Federal Reserve because it is
> neither Federal nor a reserve.

I have my reservations.

Date: June 25, 2019 03:45PM

I greatly respect your manners and sense of reserve.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:08PM

Lets not make a federal case out of this OK?!?

Date: June 25, 2019 07:28PM

It depends what you have in that case.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 02:36PM

I have been around this board a lot longer than most and have heard all the arguments from both sides and have refrained from joining the debate. IMV, despite the heavy weighting aginst belief in God here, I remain a believer because to me none of the arguments against are "...compelling" and I am sure do not fit the parameters and purposes of the board. That belief works for me is sufficient for me.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 03:30PM

"An atheist would have to know a lot more than me about the cosmos." Sagan

Which is why I'm not an atheist. I don't pretend we have eradicated mystery from the universe that is, according to scientists, 96% dark matter/energy" which remains a complete mystery.
Once we've solved that mystery, get back to me.

Date: June 25, 2019 03:34PM

That's kind of my point. There is no proof, one way or the other. And I'm not going to take Sagan's word for it either.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:45PM

Agree. There is room for debate.

Date: June 25, 2019 03:37PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> Once we've solved that mystery, get back to me.

That is where God lives.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:13PM

>> Which is why I'm not an atheist. I don't pretend we have eradicated mystery from the universe....

Atheist don't pretend we have eradicated mystery from the universe. There is plenty of mystery left for all of us.

Atheist's don't pretend the mystery of the universe is solved by god.

Or am I being too toxic with this line of thinking?

To borrow a phrase...."My god!" where do you come up with this stuff? Never mind, I know where you pull it from.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:29PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
> Or am I being too toxic with this line of
> thinking?

Probably. The difference I see is how aggressively you insist that you know something you can't know.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:35PM

I KNOW WHAT I DON"T KNOW!!! Grrrrrr!!! I KNOW WHAT I DON"T KNOW!!! Damn it!!!!

I can be very aggressive! Not as aggressive as mutant sea bass with lasers attached to their heads, but aggressive non the less!

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 04:06PM

The existence or nonexistence of god does not depend on what anyone thinks.

Arguments over the existence or nonexistence of god are ridiculously futile. Your opinion does not matter. The opinion of Carl Sagan doesn't matter. If there is a god, then there IS a god. If there is no god, then there IS no god. It's that simple. Arguments have no effect on the reality. Your belief or lack of belief is irrelevant. And it makes no difference.  Your opinions and belief cannot alter the truth.  If there is a god, would the world be different than a world without a god? We would remain subject to the same occurrences and calamities either way while the universe looks on with pitiless indifference. And why should I care as long as there is a Kentucky Fried Chicken down the street?

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 04:16PM

Most of those "recovering from Mormonism" recognize that abandoning Mormonism, and faith generally, comes with a cost; even if it is a necessary cost. A person of genuine faith, be it in Mormonism or some other ism, enjoys an existential perspective, and related psychological comfort, that provides meaning to their life and existence in ways that an atheist simply does not have and often cannot comprehend or appreciate. Such benefits accrue to the believer even if the believer is being deceived, and/or such faith turns out to be misplaced.

It should not be surprising that an exMormon naturally seeks to fill the void of what has been lost in the rejection of their Mormon worldview. To suggest that the same principles operative when rejecting Mormonism also demand a rejection of all religious faith is ludicrous and unbelievably short-sighted. Thus, the rebound from Mormonism often includes adopting an alternative religious orientation that preserves faith, while reaching for more plausible rational grounding. Sharing such perspectives is a very important aspect of this Board because it allows us to see how others have managed the loss of Mormon faith and gone on with their lives. We do not have to agree in order to benefit from such perspectives. And dismissing such perspective out-of-hand is foolishness. (IMHO)

From my observations, very few on this Board know and understand the modern philosophical and scientific arguments that are offered in favor of rational religious faith--including believers themselves; but most importantly atheists. I am not saying that such arguments are conclusive, or even compelling; but they *are* interesting, and certainly worth considering and discussing. If you are an atheist and your knowledge of theism is limited to "the same old" anti-theistic arguments spewed by atheist apologists and skeptics, I assure you, you are badly misinformed. Such authors demonstrate that they have no idea what they are talking about in matters of religion, and often their materialist bias fuels their misinformed assessments of religion.

So, get off your judgmental horse. How knows, you may learn something that might be useful. :)

Date: June 25, 2019 04:31PM

I'll get off mine if you'll get off yours ; ' )

Date: June 25, 2019 05:05PM

Watch that first step! It's a doozy!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 07:35PM

I ride a tapir.

Date: June 25, 2019 04:40PM

Academia to the rescue!

When theism and atheism fail, there's always that to fall back on.

I wonder if the BOM horses were judgmental? I may not have gotten off it if it was. I may have just rode it all the way to Zarahemla and beyond as I flipped the bird to everyone I passed!

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 04:53PM

I am an atheist and I could care less about your high brow discussions. Invisible people don't exist. Done.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 05:18PM

Oh, jeez, now you've done it. Henry's going to call you a materialist.

Which brings up an interesting category question. Does calling someone a materialist constitute swearing? If yes, does it need to be warned about as swearing in the subject line? ;)

Date: June 25, 2019 06:30PM

Invisible people don't exist. Done.

COMMENT: If they are invisible, how do you know they don't exist? What a remarkable statement of metaphysical faith.

Unfortunately for your religion, science tells us that there are in fact a host of invisible entities, physical and otherwise, that in fact exist. But don't let science get in the way of your faith.

Once again I make a statement on the Board that someone rises up and shows is right on. Thank you.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 05:04PM

You're probably right Henry (or wrong....). But the fact is that we can all live fulfilling and even useful lives while agreeing with you or not. Personally, your arguments often seem to be about things which I'm not interested in, while nevertheless living a happy, fulfilling and useful life, but that's the beauty of this sort of forum: you can expound them, those who agree can agree and those who don't agree don't even have to read them.

What a wonderful world.

Best wishes to you (all) :-)

Tom in Paris

Date: June 25, 2019 06:51PM

Thanks, Tom. I am happy you are living a happy, fulfilling and useful life notwithstanding your lack of interest in my rather esoteric posts. I really am! More power to you! No doubt most here feel the same.

However, for me, a happy, fulfilling and useful life encompasses a desire for knowledge and understanding, which admittedly is often elusive. But then I have the faith of a scientist that slow and consistent progress can be made even if one never quite achieves metaphysical closure. I am most certainly glad you have already arrived; comfortably stalled; or perhaps comfortably dismissive of such a journey. In any event, I envy the peace it must bring.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 04:17PM

I really enjoy this board. Posters here are intelligent and know their stuff. Some things have made me laugh out loud; other things have really made me think. The conclusion that I’ve come to is that all religions are man made and I can’t think of one that stared with good intentions. That hasn’t stopped me from being a believer in a higher power, though. Based on my five senses, I’ve had strange things happen that don’t have a good a good common sense explanation. I have 20/20 vision in both eyes without correction. The audiologist told me I have the ears of a Fox. Some things I have seen and heard defy reasonable explanation. Everyone should feel free to give and exchange opinions without thinking they are going to be attacked. I got enough attacking when I was in TSCC. But like I’ve said before I learn something new here all the time.

Date: June 25, 2019 05:08PM

> Everyone should feel free to
> give and exchange opinions
> without thinking they are
> going to be attacked.

Any opinion? On any subject? (Careful, they are trick questions!)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 05:17PM

Do you have a recent example?

Date: June 25, 2019 06:10PM

Well, there's this:

"Bona Dea, and by extension the other classy deists, are not here to promulgate deism but to promote recovery from mormonism."

Date: June 25, 2019 06:18PM

That's the silliest, most inane thing I've ever read!!! Whoever said that should be taken out and given a medal!!

Date: June 25, 2019 06:49PM

Hahahahahahahah!!!

Date: June 25, 2019 06:26PM

I meant an example of preaching. But that's OK. I can likely figure it out.

Date: June 25, 2019 06:43PM

How is that preaching???

Date: June 25, 2019 06:56PM

I don't think Nighty meant that was an example of preaching, I think she meant for me to give her an example of someone preaching. I must chime in here and say that I agree with those who enjoy your posts as well as others like you.

Date: June 25, 2019 07:00PM

Correct DE. I wondered if something in particular was the cause for the OP.

Date: June 25, 2019 07:18PM

I think this was the catalyst:

> Rather than parsing what
> species were Eve and Adam,
> one must look to the source.
> “So God created man in his
> own image … male and female
> he created them” (Gen. 1:27).
>
> Even if the bible is a work
> of fiction, the assumption is
> that God created Adam and Eve
> in his image and in his image
> is a human likeness and form.
>
> Since I am a believer in a
> monotheistic God of the bible
> I believe God at his word,
> that we are created in his
> image and likeness. However
> it is his divine omnipotence
> that is beyond any ability of
> ours to measure or comprehend,
> and it is not in our power or
> capacity to be able to.

My view of the presentation of the above was that it was to supply that OP's Truth. It wasn't presented as, "Well, some people look at it this way..."

Look at the last sentence:

> However it is (God's) divine
> omnipotence that is beyond any
> ability of ours to measure or
> comprehend, and it is not in
> our power or capacity to be
> able to.

That was made as a statement of fact. And the ever so predictable outcome was poop hit the fan.

Date: June 25, 2019 07:10PM

Thank you. As I said, I don't care what others believe and don't start threads on the subject. I to join in when there is bigotry, preaching from the other side of misinformation.

Date: June 25, 2019 06:37PM

Surprising myself, I’ve been here far longer than I attended the Mormon Church. This place is much more entertaining, enjoyable and enlightening even on its worst, or slowest, day.

I have often stated that I still believe in God, in at least a Creator kind of way. When it comes to settling comfortably into a particular denomination, that is where it falls apart for me. I don’t seem to fit anywhere. I can’t join or belong or get along if I can’t fully subscribe to at least the main beliefs and principles. Unless I can overlook parts of things, I guess, although I was fairly well inoculated against such an approach during my JW years, a theology which demands an all or nothing approach. I can’t seem to shed that part of their conditioning of me during some of my most formative (teen/early adult) years. I think if you don't believe it all you can't be a member. It clangs inside my head otherwise. But it's worse in the more hardline places. Some give you some leeway.

I don’t remember anyone here giving me a hard time for stating my ongoing belief in God. Maybe that’s because, like the good doc (scmd1 above), I don’t engage in the more cerebral or esoteric discussions (because I am underqualified). So I don’t get into arguments about it. Another reason is it can be such a time sink. And time is most often in short supply.

Amyjo says: “Believers are free to believe and express themselves. The attacks come from the atheist camp against believers for believing in deity.”

Taking your statement at face value (I could be misunderstanding your meaning) believers aren’t actually free to express themselves here as the main rule about religion at RfM is “no preaching”. Then we get into the thicket of misunderstanding over the definition of “preaching”.

Unfortunately, there is disagreement over that as there as many interpretations of it as there are different denominations represented, reminiscent of Bible studies I have attended when some folks can spend entire evenings parsing a single sentence in one verse. An interesting, but ultimately futile, exercise.
In terms of “attacks” coming from atheists, I don’t really see that. However, I admit that this is certainly in the eye of the beholder – the one feeling “attacked” in this case. But if you feel attacked you can always (1) report the offending post to Admin and/or (2) take a breath and check out the exchanges again, asking if the intent was to attack, if you attacked first, if possibly you are unnecessarily feeling put upon, when the other poster didn’t intend it that way. All, and more, are possibilities.

AJ said: “It is my belief that to live your life without a reverence for the divine is to miss the miraculous in every living thing. I choose to embrace the miracle of life. Each day is a gift. We never know when it may come to an end. "There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle." (Albert)”

This, in my view, is a statement of personal belief, not preaching. That is within the allowable parameters here, as I understand them. If, however, (as some do) you addressed it to the group (perceived as such, depending on how you word things) it switches into preaching/proselytizing mode fairly easily. Not only is that irritating to non-believers, at best, and against board rules, but also can be harmful to a person who is honestly seeking to recover from toxic religion. I know it can be difficult for believers to imagine how it that would feel but walking in another's shoes is an exercise worth perfecting. Even if one cannot understand how that feels or why it occurs we can strive to accept that it does and that our words can actually be harmful, whether we mean it or not.

I have tried to be a good board citizen in that even though I hold onto religious belief I try to watch how and when I express that and more carefully choose my words to be more secular (i.e. avoiding religious language such as ‘Hallelujah’ when really I mean ‘I agree’ or ‘That’s great news’ or ‘I’m so glad’ or words to that effect). Sometimes I would say it lightly or unthinkingly until I realized that it’s not the best choice in a forum full of people who are sick, often literally, of religion. I can live with that. It doesn’t hurt me and may help someone else.

Roy G Biv says: “The attack is on the message, not the messenger.” (i.e. “attack” by atheist on expressed religious belief, not on the believer). I think this is usually the case. (Again, it may not *feel* that way to the religious person but it doesn’t hurt to try and keep things in perspective and not assume the other person has a bad motive or is coming from attack mode).

scmd1 says: “Belief or nonbelief in deity has little to nothing to do with the mission of this board. Dwelling on either aspect could be construed to be proselytism.”

Re the second sentence – perhaps. But discussion of beliefs, old and new, is perhaps inevitable due to the mix of people here, ranging from those still in the church, although having questions, at least, those in mixed marriages (one spouse still a believer), and those exploring life after Mormonism. As it was so all-consuming, it is perhaps at least one step in post-moism or recovery to discuss religion and past and present and maybe future beliefs. I think some can get a lot out of these exchanges, helping them to become familiar with the main issues and the thinking of every side. I think that Admin steps in to limit some of these types of discussions if they get too circular or argumentative. But this type of exchange can be informative and useful in many ways as people transition out of the church, if only to see how non-mos and further-out exmos exchange views. I remember a poster from way back who said that she used to go and sit in a coffee shop to observe how non-Mormons interacted – that’s how deeply in she had been and how distant she felt from the nevermo world. To see people discussing controversial topics, and doing it well and rationally and without argument (the latter part is the hardest) can be a good step in recovery.

bona dea says: “Atheists, a few of them, proselytize here a lot and it is allowed, but let a Christian try to do the same and they are shut down. There is a double standard and I don't like it. Never have. The same standard should apply to everyone.”

The same standard *is* applied to everyone: No preaching religion. The purpose of the board, as stated on the main page, is: “A site for those who are questioning their faith in the Mormon Church and for those who need support as they transition their lives to a normal life. We are not affiliated with any religion and we do not advocate any religion.” Eric K. stated his purpose in starting this board and has put in a mighty effort for many years to stick to that, despite all the wrangling to try and shape it to the desires of others. It’s not a place to debate religious belief or try and gain converts to a new belief system. Clear as that. It is focused on former Mormons and questioning Mormons. I find there is wide latitude for many needs and viewpoints to find a place and for people to connect with others who may understand them more than anyone anywhere else. I wouldn’t even dream of coming here to preach my brand of theism. I can live with that. There are other places to go, if that’s what I want to find.

An observer says: “If the atheists would learn some social skills and/or get their aggression under control and not constantly attack others, it would help a lot. … they're still behaving inappropriately. I've been reading this board on & off for many years as someone interested in cults, and the unchecked aggression has been a problem for a long time.”

Maybe, but that could easily be due to people just finding their feet after a negative (understatement) religious experience. The main “appropriate” behaviour here would be to follow board rules, which includes not arguing, not proselytizing, not politicizing, not wounding the community, and all those good “nots” that can make for a more inviting atmosphere for people who need a place to bare their souls if they feel so inclined, without worrying they are going to be attacked for what they are saying (that, no matter their needs, still has to fall within board guidelines).

Henry Bemis is thought-provoking: “It should not be surprising that an exMormon naturally seeks to fill the void of what has been lost in the rejection of their Mormon worldview. … the rebound from Mormonism often includes adopting an alternative religious orientation that preserves faith, while reaching for more plausible rational grounding. Sharing such perspectives is a very important aspect of this Board because it allows us to see how others have managed the loss of Mormon faith and gone on with their lives. We do not have to agree in order to benefit from such perspectives.”

Tom in Paris weighs in with wisdom and giggles: “You're probably right Henry (or wrong....). But the fact is that we can all live fulfilling and even useful lives while agreeing with you or not. [Tom is] living a happy, fulfilling and useful life, but that's the beauty of this sort of forum: you can expound them [ideas], those who agree can agree and those who don't agree don't even have to read them. What a wonderful world.” (Tom is fun and smart and relaxing and he’s in Paris in the Springtime! What's not to love?)

valkyriequeen: “I really enjoy this board. Posters here are intelligent and know their stuff. Some things have made me laugh out loud; other things have really made me think.” Me too vq: lots of laughs – much appreciated, and I learn a lot too. Mostly how much I don’t know. That can be shocking or enlightening. All depends on your attitude.

I wish we could discuss all topics without getting angry with each other. (I’m not immune myself though. I can see red too. You never know when something said will hit you in the gut and likely the poster didn’t intend that and will obviously never know – unless you tell them. Mostly best to just let it go. My attitude is that hopefully, usually, they didn’t mean to cause that effect). If we could remember what brings most of us together - our shared negative experiences with Mormonism - that may go a long way to tamping down, or preventing, the wildfires that erupt that are of little benefit to anyone.

Meanwhile, I will promise to try and avoid any random impulse to come here and preach my religion at you. That won’t be hard at the moment as even I don’t really know at this point what I do believe. I am better informed when it comes to being aware of what I do not believe. For starters, that would be pretty much anything found within the church formerly known as Mormon. Which brings us back full circle to the topic at hand.

Peace. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 07:45PM by Nightingale.

Date: June 25, 2019 07:44PM

I do not agree that the same standard applies to both sides. We will have to disagree about that.

Date: June 25, 2019 07:50PM

I said the "standard" is no preaching religion. Believers can state their personal creed or religious beliefs in general but not to persuade. Atheists, by definition, are unlikely to preach God belief and wouldn't be allowed if, incredibly, they did. Hence: same standard - no preaching.

Yes, bd, we undoubtedly disagree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 08:07PM by Nightingale.

Date: June 25, 2019 08:08PM

I agree with bona dea.

If "preaching" means firmly and dogmatically stating your point of view (without necessarily involving religious faith), then religious "preaching" receives far more scrutiny on the Board than atheistic "preaching," and is much more likely to be called "preaching" and removed.

I don't mean to imply that Admin is disingenuous. I think the problem is a failure to appreciate the fact that atheism is as much a worldview as theism, and involves substantive metaphysical beliefs just as religious beliefs do. The idea that atheism is *just* the absence of belief in God is a myth, which is demonstrated repeatedly on the Board by the dogmatic "preaching" of atheists here!

Date: June 25, 2019 08:26PM

Hello, Henry. All I'm trying to say when I talk about the board rule against preaching is that Eric K., according to my understanding, asks that no-one preach religion on his board.

We can dispute the meaning of the word 'preaching' but that is Eric's intent, as I have seen him explain it through the years.

To say that atheists stating their beliefs is preaching and therefore not allowed does not line up with what the board founder had in mind when he created RfM, according to his own words, stated fairly often.

I like beer. Many are interested in craft beers and beer fests and all manner of topics related to beer. If we extol our love for the brew, would that be considered preaching and also banned?

No. Because Eric asks specifically that we don't preach religion.

I'm just trying to say that the two camps, atheists and religionists, obviously discuss their beliefs. But it's the religious beliefs that Eric doesn't want preached about here. Discuss yes. Preach no. (But I'm not sure if that makes it any more clear).

I think it's kind of wasting time to wrangle about the definition of preaching in this instance and also to try and change Eric's mind about the purpose he had in mind for his board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 08:27PM by Nightingale.

Date: June 25, 2019 08:13PM

Proselytizing is preaching any belief in an attempt to change peoples' minds.. I have seen more of it from atheists than believers. Some. believers are quilty too.I have a big problem with believers being told to keep their views to themselves while a few atheists are trying to change those beliefs. It happens and not infrequently although it is better than it used to be. I have seen athests jump in when someone asks for. church recommendations. Not okay in my book

Date: June 25, 2019 08:29PM

bd: "I have seen athests jump in when someone asks for. church recommendations. Not okay in my book"

Hallelujah! (ha). We do agree on something.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.