Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 07:44PM

Here is the list of authors studied by the Relief Society in 1962

Edgar Allan Poe
Henry David Thoreau
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Abraham Lincoln
Herman Melville
Walt Whitman

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 08:30PM

I don't know about Holmes but notable that the rest are all American and male.

At least two, Melville and Whitman had homosexual experiences, and Poe married his thirteen year old cousin.

It is hard for me to see how Thoreau and Whitman's lifestyles chime with the church.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 08:36PM

I wonder why they didn't check with you first?! I bet they feel bad, now.

Date: June 29, 2019 08:45PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder why they didn't check with you first?! I
> bet they feel bad, now.

Your sarcasm is weak. As is your sock puppetry, Mrs Lot.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 08:49PM

It's funny because for several days you were accusing EOD of being my sock puppet. Then you switched tack and started engaging him as if you were equals. He didn't climb aboard the Good Ship Jordan, however, so now you are back to your old approach.

That won't go very well. He can think circles around you.

Date: June 30, 2019 12:58PM

"we should be eternally vigilant against attempts to check the expression of opinions that we loathe and believe to be fraught with death." - Oliver Wendell Holmes. Not a writer I'm very familiar with but an appropriate quote.

Date: June 30, 2019 01:36PM

Oh, do go on!

Show me one time when I have ever asked the admins to shut you up. The truth is that odious people should be given every chance to embarrass themselves and their ideas. That was Holmes's point, but you don't know the jurist well enough to understand that, do you?

The best way "to check your loathsome ideas" is to let you continue speaking. You do it yourself.

Date: June 29, 2019 08:49PM

I play to MY audience, good sir, just as you play to your mirror.

Remember, the play's the thing...!

Date: June 29, 2019 08:52PM

Oh what a coincidence - nothing constructive to say and both of you just happen to be online at the exact same time again. Surprised you're not peddling politics on here too.

Date: June 30, 2019 01:40PM

Aren't you supposed to be off running your computer analysis to prove that EOD and I are the same person? You seemed very excited by that possibility.

What has vitiated your enthusiasm, JorHWint?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 02:09PM

Oh please, JorHWint.

EOD and LW historically have completely different ways of speaking and background stories here. I'm pretty sure there have been people who have met them. I'm also pretty sure saucie is only boinking one of them (I love that couple!).

Has any credible poster here actually met HWint and Jordan?

At this point, like it or not, you have validated LW's claims about your history. Apparently your only defense is to accuse her of doing what you do.

Admin has asked us to back off on this so I try to refrain most of my comments about this. I wonder if admin has general IP locations for the posters in question to confirm if JorHWint posts from the same general state or country (and even LW and EOD to be fair). I suppose if they can confirm or deny the possibility, it would help stop this charade JorHWint is pulling.

This is CZ's rodeo and he is doing a superb job. I'm sorry that people come here just to muddy up the platform and get attention.

Back to the topic.

I was the cultural refinement RS teacher back in those times. The manual of course cherry picked the positive things about the authors or countries we were teaching about. Somehow we were always able to make it "uplifting" and related to testimony building. We thought we were being so smart and open minded at the time. It has definitely gotten worse because they tightened up the sources they wanted the teachers to use not long after I was released.

Date: June 30, 2019 02:44PM

"At this point, like it or not, you have validated LW's claims about your history. Apparently your only defense is to accuse her of doing what you do."

So these two posters seem to turn up around the same time and back each other up. (Hwint does no such thing and doesn't even reply to me when I reply to them). Hwint wouldn't even be a good sock puppet if s/he was one.

A computer comparison would solve this once and for all, but I'm sure she's deleting all her posts right now.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:15PM

Not a computer comparison really (what, you use your phone for one and a different device for the other?) but more like a location comparison or personal witnesses.

OF COURSE JorHWint posts at different times and HWint doesn't reply to you. You should be able to figure that out. You do seem to post before you finish your thoughts and immediately reply to yourself more than most people.

At first you denied association with Canada but slowly managed to demonstrate all the points you denied. You had identical verbiage for the views you have with HWint. We went years without someone babbling about communism all the time.
I don't know if you were ALL those monikers, but you're not credible at this point, IMO.

Oh what a tangled web we weave....

I'm done discussing this with you. I'm not one to report a bunch of trivia to admin, but will communicate with them in the future.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:18PM

I've denied connection with Alberta... I've never been married and whichever person called themselves Jordan twenty years ago is not the same Jordan posting now.

Date: June 30, 2019 04:15PM

Jordan keeps saying he wants to do a computer comparison of my writing style and EOD's. We keep urging him to do that. But for some reason he seems only to want to threaten to do it.

Now he says I am busy deleting my posts in fear of his remarkable sleuthing skills. Yes, he is saying that. Jordan thinks I am a shrinking violet afraid of his genius.

It's difficult to know which is more laughable. Me as a shrinking violet or. . .

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 02:57PM

And also back to the original topic...…..

The MOST important thing I see is that the list of authors did NOT include even one LDS GA acting like an author. Nowadays I am sure that EVERY author would have to be a GA or member of the Q15 past or present.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:15PM

True. They even tell you what quotes to use from the GA for whatever point they want to make.

They do like C S Lewis because that shows how Christian they are.

Edit: Changed quoted to quotes, typo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 03:19PM by dagny.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:24PM

dagny Wrote:
> True. They even tell you what quotes to use from
> the GA for whatever point they want to make.
>
> They do like C S Lewis because that shows how
> Christian they are.
>
> Edit: Changed quoted to quotes, typo.

CS Lewis is hilarious. The Protestants claim him thanks to his birth. The RCs say he was quasi-Catholic thanks to the influence of Tolkien... And the Mormons think he was Mormon even though he had no connection at all.

> EOD and LW historically have
> completely different ways of
> speaking and background stories
> here. I'm pretty sure there
> have been people who have met
> them. I'm also pretty sure
> Saucie is only boinking one of
> them (I love that couple!)

LW and I are dramatically and spectacularly different.

I wish it were true, that we 'write' so much alike that Jordan thinks one of us is the sock puppet of the other. But besides not being true, Jordan doesn't really believe it. No one who can tie his own shoelaces would think us to be the same individual. It is a ploy on Jordan's part to hopefully deflect some of the opprobrium that is being heaped upon him.

And so my dream is in tatters...There is no way for LW and me to be confused, one for the other and my brief, shining moment of glory is dissipated.

I am curious as to why the admins/mods have not taken the opportunity to set the record straight. Tevai especially knows the truth...

Date: June 30, 2019 03:28PM

Spectacularly different? Similar subject matter, similar style, similar attitude towards literature and always there at the appropriate moment go back each other up.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:34PM

> and always there at the
> appropriate moment (t)o
> back each other up.

This bit of mangled James Taylor may hurt: "I got a friend..."

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 03:50PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> > and always there at the
> > appropriate moment (t)o
> > back each other up.
>
>
> This bit of mangled James Taylor may hurt: "I got
> a friend..."

This sadly suggests Jordan knows nothing about having a friend.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:51PM

Is you is or is you ain't my baby?

I gotz ta know!

Date: June 30, 2019 04:20PM

Yeah, Jordan doesn't believe it. He's gone from talking to us as separate people to claiming we are the same, then he reverted to talking to you independently (in Spanish as well, I believe) and now he's back to treating us as identical.

He just wants a cudgel. He might pick one up, find out it's too heavy for him to wield, try another, and then go back to the first one.

Date: June 30, 2019 03:58PM

I iz yo Baby, Baby.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 03:59PM

Me, I'm having trouble keeping OlderDog and ElderOlder straight. Saucie, help me out here!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 04:49PM

ElderOldDog and Saucie are a couple in real life. I think OlderElder is a bachelor. He's a long time poster who recently changed his name, if I remember correctly (StrayMutt?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 04:50PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: June 30, 2019 04:52PM

That's StrayMutt? I was wondering what had become of him!

What happens to a Mormon mutt when he gets old? He becomes an Elder Old Dog. So I guess OlderElder is preferable.

I'm just glad he's still around.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 04:56PM

I'm not certain of it, but I believe it's true.

Date: June 30, 2019 07:24PM

caffiend Wrote:
> Me, I'm having trouble keeping OlderDog and
> ElderOlder straight. Saucie, help me out here!

Yikes... there is only one Elderolddog. He's mine.

As for the rest of the "old"named people here I don't

know them yet. Elderolddog was never Stray mutt. They

are two different people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 07:36PM by saucie.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 05:04PM

It was filling their minds with stuff. Facts and history and prose, that sort of things.

Date: June 30, 2019 07:26PM

... wasting mind space that could have been occupied by obedience.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 08:24AM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 12:36PM

Nice list. And Whitman, too? Bravo.

Excepting everything Allan Ginsberg, say, loved about Leaves Of Grass, I would have appreciated hearing what Sister Crabapple might have made of this:

This is the female form,
A divine nimbus exhales from it from head to foot,
It attracts with fierce undeniable attraction,
I am drawn by its breath as if I were no more than a helpless vapour....all falls aside but myself and it,
Books, art, religion, time..the visible and solid earth..the atmosphere and the fringed clouds..what was expected of heaven or feared of hell are now consumed,
Mad filaments, ungovernable shoots play out of it..the response likewise ungovernable,
Hair, bosom, hips, bend of legs, negligent falling hands--all diffused....mine too diffused,
Ebb stung by the flow, and flow stung by the ebb....loveflesh swelling and deliciously aching,
Limitless limpid jets of love hot and enormous....quivering jelly of love...white-blow and delirious juice,
Bridegroom-night of love working surely and softly into the prostrate dawn,
Undulating into the willing and yielding day,
Lost in the cleave of the clasping and sweet fleshed day.

--Walt Whitman--
--Leaves Of Grass (1855)--

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.