Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 07:55PM

Just had to post this

Molded Shrimp Salad

1 pkg lemon gelatin
1 c boiling water
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 small glass pimento cream cheese
1/2 c cream
1 c shrimp
3 chopped boiled eggs
2 minced green onions
1 tbsp minced green pepper

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
Chill until syrupy.
Add mixed mayonnaise and cheese.
Whip cream lightly and fold in.
Add remaining ingredients and stir all into gelatin mix
Pour i to oiled mold.
Chill until firm and serve on crisp lettuce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 08:09PM

I do believe I have eaten this before the lemon gelatin; the pimento cream cheese. We lived in a ward with the editor of The Children's Friend and the Relief Society Magazine (I've forgot the name.) My mother and her sister were cooking instructors and well versed in 1950s Mormon cuisine

Date: June 29, 2019 10:39PM

I remember the bottles of pimento cream cheese growing up. Once empty the bottles made excellent juice glasses.

You can still buy them today. At least in Davis County Ut.

Date: June 30, 2019 11:28AM

Ruth L Jones was listed as the contributer

Date: July 01, 2019 02:37PM

LOL there was a Ruth Jones who lived in the 29th ward, she was very prim and not bad looking. Her teenage son was two years older than I was and he was a "hood" and smoked weed in the smoky hollow down by the creek at my Junior High. Of course we don't know it was her.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 11:38AM

Was it edible? It doesn't sound good to me. Probably something I would skip at the potluck.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 12:17PM

A very similar salad is in my mother’s 1950 Betty Crocker’s picture cookbook. It look familiar so I had to look it up. Betty leaves out the pimento cheese.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 03:39PM

Right. I remember that too.
Back in the 50s and 60s, it seems most of the cookbooks had several aspic salads. It was a thing apparently but not a routine dish in my house at least.

With flavored Jell-O, molded salads took off in a whole different direction. There seemed to be no limit to what people would put in Jell-O. Mormons seemed really into it.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 07:09PM

LOL! That's gotta be the worst recipe I've ever read! Sicky-sweet Jell-o with mayonnaise, pimento, green onion, green peppers, cream--I can't even imagine it!

Jell-o with fish in it? What a waste of good shrimp!

I do remember several recipes for jell-o with cheese in it. Growing up in California, we had a pear tree espaliered against the wall, and I could reach out my bedroom window and eat a delicious, fresh bartlet pear, but my TBM mother liked to cut them in half, line them in a square pan, glob a ball of cream cheese in the hollowed-out core, and stick a maraschino cherry in the middle, then pour lime jell-o over them. She used to call it "jello salad".

Hedning refers to this as "1950s Mormon Cuisine." LOL!

Date: July 01, 2019 02:42PM

You know "aspic" type gelatins with fish were considered to be very high class food; I believe even in the 1600s and 1700s. I attended an awards banquet at the University of Edinburgh and we had some kind of herring swimming in some kind of substance made from cattle hooves - yum. I've also eaten an aspic in Japan that had little tiny minnow sized fished curved back and forth to look like they were swimming in gelatin and seaweed - that actually was pretty good after about 3 weeks of eating poor restaurant food.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 09:18AM

I think my mama made it....and I hate pimento anything so I passed on eating it...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 07:31PM

My mother had a recipe with green jello, mayo, cottage cheese, pineapple, which was actually good. I always wondered how it could be good with mayo, but it was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.