Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 06:13AM

Folded arms is body language for “I am closed”. That’s the mantra the cult teaches little kids because that’s how good little Mormons think. Or don’t think, once their minds are made up for them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 06:43AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Folded arms is body language for “I am
> closed”. That’s the mantra the cult teaches
> little kids because that’s how good little
> Mormons think. Or don’t think, once their minds
> are made up for them.

AFAIK this is a uniquely Mormon way of worship.

The most convincing argument is that it stems from childhood. Not only is it a form of self-soothing, but parents make the children cross their arms as it stops them from reaching out and grabbing things.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 01:45PM

Jordan Wrote:
> babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Folded arms is body language for “I am
> > closed”. That’s the mantra the cult teaches
> > little kids because that’s how good little
> > Mormons think. Or don’t think, once their
> minds
> > are made up for them.
>
> AFAIK this is a uniquely Mormon way of worship.
>

I looked on Google for about 30 seconds and found that Medieval Catholic art often featured arms folded during prayer

- EMBRACING THE CROSS: A LITURGICAL GESTURE. Erick Wilberding
Notes in the History of Art, Vol. 8, No. 2 (Winter 1989), pp. 1-5

and numerous catholic BBS's have discussions of the topic. things like, "I went to Mass in a different country and they're all crossing their arms, what's up? I was never taught that in the USA"

it also appears some Russian Orthodox branches all fold their arms during prayer.

I found all this with minimal research. it's curious how so many ex-mos have a spark of curiosity and then assume it applies to reality generally and construct elaborate belief systems around this newly created theory. all without doing the slightest bit of testing for their hypothesis. (suddenly everyone is an expert in body-language analysis)

the ex-mo burning in their bosoms must tell them their promptings are true.

Date: July 02, 2019 02:47PM

I've been to quite a few different denominations and never seen it. Yes, even Russian Orthodox. Usually folded hands of some sort. I don't really consider Google a form of research, just a commercial search engine which has nearly tax free status thanks to all the private info it collects.

Also other search engines are available.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 11:07AM

Google is nothing more than a privacy data collector. Be aware than if you use chrome and happen to be logged into your gmail at one time that cookie continues on with your browser searching.

So, your browsing history and interests continue to build your profile and it is sold off to the private companies.

Remember to logout.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 09:15AM

Body language: Crossing the arms. Crossing the arms across the chest is a classic gesture of defensiveness. ... A person who's waiting for someone and is feeling awkward at the same time might do this gesture. In a group, the person who doesn't feel confident is usually the one who has his arms crossed.

Of course the church says this is reverence. lol

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 09:21AM

Mormons are the only ones I know who do the folded arm gesture for praying. There may be other groups who do it too, but none come to mind from my personal experience.

The most common symbol for prayer is the clasped hands or hands pressed together (fingers pointing up). It's also the gesture used for pleading, beseeching and begging.

The Mormon body language when praying is really odd. I guess the bowed-head part is normal enough though.

With their arms folded, they give off the vibe of a neighbor who is refusing to give back the lawn mower that he borrowed from you two months ago. "But I still need it!" Then when you add the bowed head, it's the neighbor who refuses to return the lawn mower, but who knows he's being a jerk and therefore can't look you in the eyes.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:20AM

Indeed: "...It's also the gesture used for pleading, beseeching and begging."

So with other forms of praying it's similar to "Please don't chop my husband's head off!"

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 01:24PM

>> "With their arms folded, they give off the vibe of a neighbor who is refusing to give back the lawn mower that he borrowed from you two months ago."

When mormons started praying, they didn't make good neighbors. They had to be on the defensive because they were so offensive. Perhaps that's why they adopted the folded arms/ defensive posture?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 03:25PM

Mason's do it, at least in the United States. I know the attitude of prayer varies from country to country.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:33AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Folded arms is body language for “I am
> closed”.

Nope. It is hugging The Holy Ghost!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 02:50PM

If you're wearing a shoulder holster, it's called gettin' ready...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 03:58AM

Mine didn't want to fold...
Following the folds in my clothes
So I bent them; twisted them instead

Reverence wouldn't let me be me.
It ALWAYS made me like someone else.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 11:13AM

It's so it takes a fraction of a second longer to attack an @sshat priesthood leader in the face, giving him time to dodge.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 11:32AM

The Pretzel-style was an older way of praying respectfully.

Cloisters baked pretzels to commemorate this way of praying.

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 12:14PM

I think this is BS about folded arms, my husband always thinks when I fold my arms I am mad or defensive, I call BS on that. I don't even know I am folding my arms, and sometimes it is just a comfortable position. Reading to much into it!!

Date: July 05, 2019 05:46AM

Nottelling Wrote:
> I think this is BS about folded arms, my husband
> always thinks when I fold my arms I am mad or
> defensive, I call BS on that. I don't even know I
> am folding my arms, and sometimes it is just a
> comfortable position. Reading to much into it!!

According to one body language expert, it is a form of self-soothing, whatever that really means.

I think it is one of those things which can be defensive but isn't necessarily so. I occasionally cross my arms because it feels physically comfortable. It is also appropriate when you are cold.

I was once told if you tuck your thumb in between your fingers, it signals you are trying to hide yourself from people nearby. (It's also a rude geeture in Italy) Well, I've caught myself doing that on my own, out in the middle of nowhere so none of that applies.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 01:19PM

Folded arms is body language for “I am closed”.

COMMENT: If this is indeed true, it is an observation (or claim) about a person's psychology, or mental state. It is supposedly an expression of an attitude toward some environmental stimulus; for example being "hit on" by the opposite sex.

"That’s the mantra the cult teaches little kids because that’s how good little Mormons think. Or don’t think, once their minds are made up for them."

COMMENT: Folding arms as a practice in the Mormon Church is intended to represent an attitude of worship or reverence; as in the context of prayer. It is NOT intended to teach psychological "closure." In fact, quite the opposite appears to be true. It represents an *openness* to God or the spirit by placing one's body in a relaxed, spiritually receptive, state.

So, really, why do you need to make a simple and rather innocent gesture of reverence into something diabolical? When exMormons do this they present the message that their anger and hostility toward the Church supersedes their rationality. And, after all, there is plenty to be angry and hostile about within a rational assessment of Mormonism without needing to take rather ridiculous cheap shots.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 11:54PM

I may be overly hostile, but Primary also teaches “follow the prophet”. Apparently over a cliff, from the way they run things. I also reserve the right to be full of sh*t, which happens occasionally.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 08:30AM

I may be overly hostile, but Primary also teaches “follow the prophet”. Apparently over a cliff, from the way they run things.

COMMENT: Now, *that* is an offense worth fighting over!

I also reserve the right to be full of sh*t, which happens occasionally.

COMMENT: Me too! :)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 01:27PM

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 11:45PM

In my early teenage convert days I was told that you fold your
arms to cogitate prior to and during prayer. I don't think
this vocabulary is used while BIC children are being
socialized. Maybe the kids get a different set of
instructions.

Regardless, this gesture during prayer was news to me, as was
so much other ritual. What do you mean I can't pass the
sacrament with my left hand? I'm left-handed. That should
have been a red flag early on. Oh, well.

Once in a while I tune into GC and there is no consistency to
physical stance during invocation and benediction. I've
observed some grasp the sides of the lectern with both hands.
What does that body language suggest?

BcE

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 01:34PM

Keeps the hands away from the crotch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.