Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 09:17PM

disfellowshipped.
Letter from the church posted on web.

Can you believe it, they told him he is still expected to wear garments and to pay tithes & fast offerings !

Mormonism and its lust for money is simply too much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 09:18PM

And all the other stuff. He clearly states he no longer believes and they kept him in. CRAZY!

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 09:23PM

Who is he? Do you have a link?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 09:23PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet:

The word is that the Big 15 have instructed/suggested/inspired their SP minions not to reach for the Excommunication button right off the bat.

Supposedly, SPs now have to check with SLC, at least on apostasy issue, before calling a court of lovey-dovey. And except in quite serious situations, the go-to verdict will be disfellowshipping, or dismissyshipping.

Lots of commentary on, you know, those other sites that deal with leaving and recovering from mormonism.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 09:30PM

Tithing can go to United Way.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 11:04AM

Fair warning: I thought I would watch the videos even though I don't like John Dehlin's style. I saw that the video was a part one--two parts would be reasonable.

6 HOURS

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 10:27PM

I cannot say with authority that the provisions of this excommunication are not as you say they are, as I was not present and did not hear or read the declarations from the presiding church authority. If past practice is an indication, however, tithes and other donations are NOT to be accepted from excommunicated members. Furthermore, standard practice is that those excommunicated are instructed NOT to wear their temple garments until fellowship has been restored.

Do you have a link that would back up the claims regarding tithing, offerings, and garments?

Elyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> disfellowshipped.
> Letter from the church posted on web.
>
> Can you believe it, they told him he is still
> expected to wear garments and to pay tithes &
> fast offerings !
>
> Mormonism and its lust for money is simply too
> much.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 04, 2019 10:57PM

The person mentioned was disfellowshipped, not excommunicated.

The cult will accept tithing from disfellowshipped members (and will actually encourage it). I suspect that paying tithing would be a required step if the disfellowshipped member wanted to be reinstated as a member in good standing.

They will also accept donations from excommunicated people if they donate through someone else.

TSCC is all about the money.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 04:04AM

I would expect that disfellowshipment of anyone who wished to retain church membership would be an excellent vehicle for collecting tithing.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 12:11AM

“I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 02:25AM

Maybe the Mormons want to speed up the process. Courts of lovey-dovey take too long to organize. Maybe moving forward, bishops will have the "authority" to go ahead and do dismissyshipping on the spot. The target's ministers will alert the ward council, who will alert the bishop about any signs of a "faith crisis", intellectualizing, asking too many questions, doing yard work on Sunday, or other rule-breaking. The bishop will quickly disfellowship the member, before he has the chance to resign.

A pre-emptive strike! I'm always saying that Mormons love their warrior image! (I love watching them shoot each other in the foot.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 01:12PM

I'm wiggling my tail in fulsome delight!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 10:51AM

He is a dentist, they want to keep his tithing. I have watched their episode on Mormon stories. One of their daughters has already resigned.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 11:08AM

Elyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...still expected to wear garments and to pay tithes &
> fast offerings !

The underlying concept of disfellowshiping and excommunication is that the target of the discipline doesn't want to be kicked out of the flock, that they'll do whatever it takes to be let back in out of the lone and dreary world. So wear garments and pay tithing? Please, Sir, may I have another? Whap! Please, Sir, may I have another? Whap!! The system falls apart when the the disciplined person has no desire to return.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 12:50PM

Some people criticize John Dehlin's style of podcasting.

I support his efforts, and use them nightly as a smooth way into sleep. I'm not kidding. Put on a podcast, and listen to it as you drift off to nirvana.

It works better than any other sleep aid.

This was his finest hour, so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUmV9EGKK80

Posted by: FelixNLI ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 01:34PM

I'm with you Screen Name, Mormon Stories has been instrumental in helping perhaps tens of thousands deal with the difficulties of transitioning out.

The interviews have also aided in putting the spotlight of truth on so many hidden aspects of Mormonism and its history. You know - sunlight is the best medicine.

His style of interviewing includes honesty, candor and compassion. The podcast is especially helpful for those of us who are caught in mixed faith marriages and families.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.