Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 02:16PM

Utah has a very high suicide rate and high anti depressant rate. Is the church by putting out those videos helping? Or introducing more guilt and shame? In a culture where striving to become a god is the goal I don't see this being enough.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900023523/lds-church-releases-new-videos-on-coping-with-and-preventing-suicide.html?fbclid=IwAR3u38wr6sUBsCkmHTCB_sgM2auQz1sdGqU3JdqsH_zW8uSua-RStReJWLc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 04:49PM

I have this vague recollection that at one time temple ordnances could not be performed for people who had committed suicide.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 06:51PM

Why is it when I've gone to funerals for suicide victims, they have to explain that it will be up to God how he judges this suicide victim. This happened not that many years ago to one of my neighbors. The nonmembers that attended the funeral were furious that the bishop talked about this.

So this teaching has changed, but they never told us.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 12:28AM

It’s not a real funeral unless the bishop provides at least 10 minutes of mindless blather.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 07:32PM

Rendlund says the notion is an old sectarian notion of being banished to hell forever. (Which is what I always thought was true)

In Mormon doctrine, page 771 it says: "Obviously persons subject to great stresses may lose control of themselves and become mentally clouded to the point that they are no longer accountable for their acts. Such are not to be condemned for taking their own lives."

Interesting that McKonkie said that. I was sure he was ready to tell us they were going to hell. He aint as mean as I thought?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 09:39PM

The Mormon context (history) is to say whatever the GAs seem to think is palatable at the moment it's spoken.

this is why we say that determining Mormon Doctrine is like nailing Jell-O to the wall.

People of one generation (a word that defies specific definition) are told nearly 180 away from what their parents were taught, which is again sometimes radically opposed to what those parents were taught.

the 'children of alt sexual orientation' example will be buried among the faithful, but used as a primo example by detractors / doubters.

just sayin'

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 11:48PM

People like Oaks & Packer have been complicit in enough suicides so why shouldn't the church do a little 'coping and preventing' PR?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 01:13AM

> People like Oaks & Packer have been complicit in
> enough suicides

Absolutely true. Whoever cleans their clothes must use a lot of stain remover.

--------------
> so why shouldn't the church do a
> little 'coping and preventing' PR?

We'll see. They tend to take all sides of an issue and wait to see how things shake out. It's premature, I think, to conclude that anything has changed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 01:24AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> We'll see. They tend to take all sides of an
> issue and wait to see how things shake out. It's
> premature, I think, to conclude that anything has
> changed.

Don't kid yourself; Hoax doesn't feel responsible for ANYTHING.

Yes, wait & see is a good idea.

Date: July 06, 2019 01:28AM

I have no illusions about Oaks.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 05:27AM

It was strongly implied that those that chose to end their lives would be harshly judged and relegated to like eternity in the lower levels of glory.

It bothered me because I knew people from school that had committed suicide. Of course now it's very apparent that the leaders just say whatever they want. At the time, church teachings only clouded an already tragic experience.

I often wonder if the current leaders grew up in the same church that so heavily indoctrinated me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 05:29AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 05:38AM

If they do anything to help those left behind then that is a good thing. I knew one member whose twin committed suicide after his wife left him, and he left behind an identical twin. The sad thing is that they were often mistaken for each other and he was being confused with him even after he died.

Suicide rates in young males are much higher than they were across western society. There are reasons for that which need to be dealt with from elementary school upwards, instead of being encouraged and tolerated.

Date: July 07, 2019 03:12AM

> Suicide rates in young males are . . .being
> encouraged and tolerated.

Any desire to elucidate that statement? Who or what is encouraging young men to kill themselves?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 03:43AM

When my Mormon cousin killed himself, the local Mormons were okay with it. It wasn't mentioned at his funeral.

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 04:08AM

I too remember when people who had committed suicide could not be sealed to their families in the temple. I heard of one case where the temple worker was 'inspired' to tell the family that their son had been murdered, not taken his own life, and sealed him to his family. I was glad for the family, but what about the hundreds of others, broken hearted by the terrible death of their loved one?

Just another example of the "yeah but......." doctrine doing the rounds in the church. The problem is that in the process of defining it all and giving consequences in the past, and now changing them, SO much pain has been inflicted on family members and friends. Stepping back from the pain, it is a case of "Pick your own doctrine". So much of it is what is in fashion in the society, but of course at least 30 years behind the times. How long before gay members are allowed to be sealed and women get the priesthood, and which one will be first? What a FARCE!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.