Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 07:21AM

"The quake: A powerful 7.1-magnitude earthquake rocked buildings and cracked foundations in Southern California on Friday night.
Fires break out: Multiple fires broke out after the quake struck 11 miles northeast of the city of Ridgecrest.
Second in two days: The latest quake released 11 times more energy than Thursday's 6.4-magnitude temblor.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/california-earthquake-intl/index.html

Scary times still in the Ridgecrest area. My cousin lives nearby there. She can feel the tremors. Says though they are frazzled and shaken there are no injuries in their immediate vicinity or serious damages to report as yet.

It's the largest quake to hit the region since one in 1999 rocked Los Angeles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 07:27AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 09:46AM

Good luck to them. Hope everyone survives.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 10:01AM

A lot of media (incl. Twitter) seem to be connecting it closer to L.A. than it actually is. Ridgecrest is actually about halfway between L.A. and Vegas. It was felt in Vegas and parts of western Arizona.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 11:24AM

I was just reading a post from a Facebook friend(I worked with her in Las Vegas..) and she was talking about how it felt last night. She lives in Santa Paula, CA which is Ventura adjacent. She is older than me and she said she'd not felt one like that since the Northridge one in the mid 90's, which is what led she and her husband to move to Las Vegas.

She has 2 dogs and she had a real tough time to get one of them settled down..the other one slept through it.

Her daughter in Northern CA was going to bring 2 of her kids (age 8 and 10) down to spend a few days and their mom has decided not to bring them for now. And my friend said "I didn't think it was a good time and now I know why..."

Date: July 06, 2019 11:31AM

My cousin was sitting in her recliner watching her fan fixtures swaying. What was really moments of tremors felt like minutes to her as she felt the swaying inside her home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 11:33AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 04:35PM

Last night's quake was forty-five seconds, which is pretty long as the quakes we have out here go. (I think the 7/4 one was closer to twenty seconds.)You're right that it was an awfully long forty-five seconds while it was happening.

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 11:27PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My cousin...felt the
> swaying inside her home.

Amyjo, for sure, has all sorts more of cousins in Tadzhikistan where they had an Erdberbe last night.

She will hit us tomorrow with news of those relatives feeling a swaying inside their central Asian homes.

She's been everywhere.

Date: July 07, 2019 08:19AM

Well tootie fruitie, normdaplume.

My cousin lives there, and I do not.

So it's news to me, as it certainly was to her. She had a front row seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 08:21AM by Amyjo.

Date: July 06, 2019 11:38AM

I can imagine were this downtown L.A. the ramifications would be far more reaching and devastating.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 07:44PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> I can imagine were this downtown L.A. the
> ramifications would be far more reaching and
> devastating.

Do you have cousins there too?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 08:01PM

It doesn't matter; she has us!

And since I have no other access to news, her updates are my only source for news.

Date: July 07, 2019 09:21PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> It doesn't matter; she has us!
>
> And since I have no other access to news, her
> updates are my only source for news.

That's a shame since she doesn't live in Callie so she doesn't

get our news but never fear , she probably has a cousin who

lives here. Cousins sure come in handy don't they?

Date: July 06, 2019 12:15PM

Some homes in the Ridgecrest area were shaken off their foundations, and have forced owners to evacuate.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 12:52PM

Oh my goodness!! The Annunaki are coming back with a vengeance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 12:53PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 01:05PM

I live in a high rise in SLC, which would accentuate shaking. I have a grandfather clock with long cables and pendulum, which also accentuates shaking.

I didn't feel anything, but the clock started doing a dance around 9:25 last night, enough so the weights and pendulum were banging each other, and the chimes were randomly sounding. I had to restart the clock.

Channel 2 reported shaking too. I don't know if the shaking was local, or from CA, but I'm thinking it was from the CA quake.

Date: July 06, 2019 01:24PM

It might've been. It hit after 8:00 pm California time, so that would be right after 9 pm MST.

"Friday night’s quake caused some fires and other damage in and around Ridgecrest and Trona, two Mojave Desert towns shaken by both quakes, said Mark Ghilarducci, director of the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services. The quake was felt as far away as Phoenix, Las Vegas, Baja California and Reno, according to crowd-sourced data logged into the U.S. Geological Survey’s Did You Feel It? website." (LA Times)

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/dyfi/ (Where you can log in to its "Did you feel it?" website)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 03:29PM

Thanks for the link. I reported it, me and 38,000 other people!

I didn’t feel a thing. I was in bed reading, and thought I heard some gentle rustling by the front door. After a good chunk of a minute I still heard some noise so I got up to check the door. When I saw the clock weights swinging almost far enough to hit the clock case, it kind of freaked me out. I got dressed and prepared to leave the building.

I think it is about 600 miles from SLC to the quake, but the New Madrid quake in Missouri in 1800whatever was felt in NYC, so that kind of distance is definitely possible for a big earthquake.

Date: July 06, 2019 04:39PM

The 7.1 last night hit close to 8:20. There were multiple aftershocks. I'm not sure of the times of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 04:39PM by scmd1.

Date: July 08, 2019 12:48PM

It was 8:21 pm Los Angeles time when the news team dove under their news desk on air (caught on camera of course for all the world to see.) They did everything by the book too, of what to do during an earthquake.

:)

Date: July 06, 2019 01:26PM

I think you're spot on. The quake reached me at 8:21pm PDT, here in North Disneyland.

Date: July 07, 2019 07:05PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I think you're spot on. The quake reached me at
> 8:21pm PDT, here in North Disneyland.

That damn north disneyland gets all the excitement.
I'm so jealous.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 03:40PM

It's considered to be the main quake, and the 6.4 quake that occurred on the Fourth of July is now considered a "foreshock."

Date: July 06, 2019 03:54PM

Dr. Lucy and all the TV pundits say that this is the case, but who really knows?

And each quake is 'afore' the ones after it and 'after' the ones before it...

Date: July 06, 2019 04:07PM

There was a seismologist on CNN today showing there is still significant activity centering around the epicenter, so it isn't considered over yet until it's calmed down. If the first was was a foreshock, what if the 7.1 was a foreshock?

Now I'm scaring myself.

Date: July 06, 2019 04:42PM

The geologist I watched said exactly that ("who knows?"). She said the 7.1 has been designated to be the main even because it was bigger than the 6.4, and that if another comes along that is bigger still, it will then be designated as the primary quake even if it wouldn't have happened without the others.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 06, 2019 04:56PM

"The odds that Southern California will experience another earthquake of magnitude 7 or greater in the next week are now nearly 11%, according to preliminary estimates from seismologists.

"And the chances that a quake will surpass the 7.1 temblor that struck near Ridgecrest on Friday night are roughly 8% to 9%, said Caltech seismologist Lucy Jones."

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-huge-earthquake-forecast-southern-california-20190705-story.html

Don't want to scare anyone, but these things could be beneficial to know. I live at a safe distance from this earthquake sequence, but if I were a resident of Ridgecrest I would definitely consider taking a vacation about now ... or at least stay out of any questionable structures for a while!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 08:33PM by lurking in.

Date: July 06, 2019 04:59PM

There are about 500 tents of people of Ridgecrest sleeping in the downtown center there afraid to go home tonight to sleep in their houses because of the fear of another earthquake looming. Only small pets are allowed with cages.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 01:02PM

It could save a home from jumping off its foundation and save frayed nerves in a bad quake.

Of course it wouldn't help save someone who was out and about in flimsy buildings or on the street.

At least it could be helpful in saving assets and protecting a home from destruction.

Insurance isn't usually an option because in a big quake the deductible is often hundreds of thousands of dollars. It just isn't worth it. Some companies refuse insurance at any cost in highly quake prone areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 01:10PM by Cheryl.

Date: July 07, 2019 01:23PM

Date: July 07, 2019 09:08PM

Here's a AP photo of a new crack in the earth near the Ridgecrest epicenter ...

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/190706084109-14-ridgecrest-earthquake-0706-exlarge-169.jpg

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 10:33PM

I only felt the 7.1 because I was visiting my mom in Las Vegas, and we were sitting on the patio by the pool. The pool had some tiny waves, but no water splashed out. I was on a plane heading there when the 6.4 one hit, and only found out about it when I saw a text message from my dad.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 12:10PM

My parrot felt it... she started squawking and trying to escape from her cage full panic mode... It's a hereditary trait when the ground shakes to head for the sky... I pulled her out of her cage and looked over at my partner... must of been another quake in Cali... turn on the news and sure enough there it is... I also live in Phoenix AZ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 01:29PM by shylock.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 11:08AM

"Damage to the earth’s crust from the magnitude 6.4 and 7.1 earthquakes that struck Southern California last week is visible in a kaleidoscopic satellite image released by NASA.

The Advanced Rapid Imaging and Analysis team at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena used satellite data to produce a map showing ruptures and displacements not visible to the naked eye — employing technology that has been developed over the last quarter of a century. The imagery was acquired on July 8 and compared with data from April 8.

The earthquakes were the largest to hit California in nearly 20 years and were felt as far away as Phoenix and Mexicali, Mexico. The temblors and the thousands of aftershocks that followed did not lead to major structural damage near the Ridgecrest epicenter but did have residents of nearby Trona, Calif. worrying about their town’s future."

Date: July 12, 2019 01:17PM

A man was killed in Nevada from the earthquake on July 4th, when the car he was working on fell on top of him.

His was perhaps the only fatality known of from either tremor to hit Ridgecrest on July 4th and 6th.

The poor guy didn't know what was happening or why, and most likely died instantly.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nevada-man-died-while-fixing-vehicle-after-6-4-earthquake-likely-caused-the-car-to-fall-of-jack-police-say

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 11:36PM

4.6 friday near Snohomish / Monroe wa where a couple of my kidlets customarily habitate ...

Date: July 13, 2019 11:46PM

Enough to shake em up, but no one was hurt I gather ?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:03AM

Any other earthquake news [around the world] or updates here? I Can't Give Up-[Medjool]-Dates [Not (necessarily) cheap dates].

Date: July 16, 2019 07:35AM

Well, moremany, as an aside when one of my children moved from Los Angeles in 2015 on the morning of the move there was a small earthquake in Los Angeles that woke the city up (early morning hours,) in the several hours prior to plane departure. It was my child's "wake up" call, no need for an alarm clock that day.

That child moved to a location on the Ring of Fire halfway around the world to a small country town that hadn't seen an earthquake in a very long time. We're talking many years. Yet on moving day there were TWO minor earthquakes in that little country town as a Welcome Wagon.

Me, being a praying mother, decided one of two things. A) I could have a nervous breakdown. Or B) I thanked Heavenly Father for his sense of humor by giving me a sign that someone up there was looking out for my child down here. I chose to go with option B. I've felt in my life at times there have been guardian angels watching over me. As one Jewish mother told me a while back to trust that God watches over our children the same way he watches over us.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 09:22AM by Amyjo.

Date: July 20, 2019 02:13AM

Good choice! lol (and thanks for the story)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:25AM

Caused by (take your pick):

Homosexuals

Muslims

Apostate Mormons

Don Trump

tectonic plates shifting

Mexicans & others who arrive here without permission

Sex Ed in schools

immodest clothing (mostly on females)

women who REFUSE female circumcision

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 04:26AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 08:59AM

I'll take Tectonic Plates for $100, Alex.

Date: July 20, 2019 02:11AM

GNPE Wrote:
> Caused by (take your pick):
>
>
> Homosexuals
>
>
> Muslims
>
> Apostate Mormons
>
>
> Don Trump
>
> tectonic plates shifting
>
> Mexicans & others who arrive here without
> permission
>
> Sex Ed in schools
>
> immodest clothing (mostly on females)
>
> women who REFUSE female circumcision

GNPE

You know Mormonism causes ALL THINGS bad [it is NEVER any of the other individuals you listed].

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.