Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 05:35PM

It's a free country. If you want a different kind of movie, then make one yourself.

Just a thought...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 05:43PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a free country. If you want a different kind
> of movie, then make one yourself.
>
> Just a thought...

What about costs, distribution, professional production etc?

Some cheap films are good to be fair (Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB, Open Water), some not so good (Clerks, Blair Witch Project)...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 06:50PM

Not a realistic demand, is it?

Enjoying a movie is a far cry from getting in the business. Not at all equivalent.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 09:37PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Not a realistic demand, is it?
>
> Enjoying a movie is a far cry from getting in the
> business. Not at all equivalent.

Of course it is. To make a decent full length film is going to cost you probably at least a hundred thousand these days. Then you have to work out how to recoup your expenses.

Some decent films have been made on smaller budgets, but it's tough.

It's easier to write a novel.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 10:09PM

Napoleon Dynomite was a low budget film, made for the Sundance Film Festival.

Went on to become a cult classic.

And ... made by a Mormon dude, Jon Heder, who happens to be an identical twin.

I thought the movie was insanely funny, and hit close to home since I'm from that area of Idaho. Many of my relatives still live there. Some even live in Preston and have children that attend that high school.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 10:26PM

My husband loved that movie. I’ve never seen it, until he showed it to me. I loved the little girl from “ Corrina, Corrina” and “ Andre the seal”. She was a bit older in this. The guy with the curly hair always looked like he had his eyes shut and was too creepy to me.

Date: July 08, 2019 11:00PM

She was really cute and played the muse really well.

Jon Heder really got into playing the nerd for that movie. If not for his part it wouldn't have become the success that it did.

My first take on it was he was very much an oddball. The more you get acquainted with the characters, you get to realize he was more substance than he let on.

And his nerdy brother wasn't much better, or his Uncle Rico.

It was a sleeper movie at first. Then it really took off.

My children thought it was a hoot. Once they went off to college it was already fast becoming a cult classic so much so it was late night campus viewing at the Union Square.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 03:38PM

Great thought! I suppose you came up with that all by yourself?

To get back on topic....I feel the same about movies. They don't make them like they used to. Too much special effects. I used to pay a lot for cable, but was always disappointed with the selection. I was always hoping to find certain movies I liked, but they were never offered.

So I started buying DVD's and Blue Ray's on Amazon. I already had a nice James Bond collection, so I bought a Clint Eastwood collection. Then a bunch of old Jules Verne Movies with Ray Harryhausen effects. I've continued to buy classics and other movies I just really like. I have a few newer releases, but mostly older movies. I have about 1048 Titles after years of collecting, and I only pay the cost of about 1 theater ticket, usually much less, and I can watch it again and again, which I do. My most recent buy included "Summer of 42", "Valley of the Dolls", "Lord of the Flies", and "Five Weeks in a Balloon."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 05:27PM

that used to be made. We run into them now and then. I like going OUT to the movies. I work at home as it is. Going to movies was a big thing in our family. My parents always loved movies and we all usually went once a week, not always together. My parents sent us to matinees on Saturday afternoon and they went in the evening.

So I love to go to movies. I have a lot of videos, too. I go in spurts of watching movies. Most of the time I watch TV like dateline and 48 hours when I'm at home.

Even back when my kids were younger, they had more at least family entertainment. I like a good comedy.

As for Napoleon Dynamite, it was too much like my childhood working on the farm and I found it very depressing. Then a few years later, my brother said something about the movie and said, "IT WAS SO DEPRESSING."

Date: July 08, 2019 11:13PM

The farmland scenes and the sand dunes was nearly exactly like the area where I grew up too.

That countryside hasn't changed hardly at all since the movie was made. The population is still the same (not much growth.)

Still farmland, still the same desert.

When I visit Southeast Idaho it feels like I'm in a time warp. Progress hasn't caught up to it yet as much as it has in other places. The one exception I've noticed is in urban sprawl around Idaho Falls and Pocatello where the cities have grown some. Especially Idaho Falls. The population has gotten denser as has the traffic. But the roads haven't expanded to accommodate the growing traffic or heavier SUV's and pickup trucks clogging the streets. They haven't gotten wider, but the vehicles did in the last couple of decades.

When I grew up there it was still mostly country. The cities have doubled in size, especially Idaho Falls. The countryside I grew up in has become part of the suburbs.

Whereas the countryside around Preston hasn't seen all that much change.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 08:48PM

although Corinne City has a bunch of new manufacturing companies and Walmart distribution center. Ny brother is the manager of one of the new companies out there. He LOVES Corinne. Otherwise, nothing else like places for the workers to get food. Still pretty much the same places to get food. Our farm was I don't know how many miles away from the city. It had some of the Great Salt Lake on it. All depended on how full the GSL got whether we got water on our land from it or not. I hated the farm personally. I hated working on it. Hot, dusty, dirty, horseflies, etc. We'd have contests on who could kill the most horseflies that landed on our backs in a day.

But now, I'm so glad that my dad MADE US work on the farm. It was HIM--the farm and his father's farm. My dad LOVED that land. And as much was my siblings and I argue (my sisters and I), we spent more time with each other as kids than anyone we knew except other farmers. I love that my parents provided me with that experience. It was like a family member died when we had to sell the farm to support our 2 disabled brothers.

But I think the part in Napoleon Dynamite that I hated the most was working at the chicken place. When we didn't have all the chores at the farm, my mother made us find other jobs like picking cherries at the fruit farms by Brigham City, etc. We just spent our summers and falls covered in dirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 08:49PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 08:55PM

Now don't get a big old swelled head, but the movie about you would be wonderfully riveting.

And I call dibs on playing Cheech Marin!!

Date: July 09, 2019 09:21PM

My mom lived in Corinne with her family before they moved to Brigham City. Her family only moved to Ogden after mom left home on her 18th birthday to strike out on her own. The rest of her siblings finished high school in Ogden. Mom finished at Box Elder High.

Small world, huh? She had her own radio show on Saturdays in Brigham City when she was a teenager for a children's hour that she loved.

It was a small town then. When I lived in Ogden it was still pretty small. Guess it hasn't grown much since then, but is it now a bedroom community for Ogden?

After checking the demographics for there, I see it's still a sleepy little hamlet. Yet there are 39 registered sex offenders living there as of today's date. Sheesh.

My grandpa used to chase the boys away from their front porch who came to call on my mom and her sisters when they lived there with a shotgun. Seriously. He was a very strict dad. Maybe he knew what he was doing all along?!?!

Date: July 09, 2019 09:27PM

When I was in SLC last month, we went to visit the Bird Wildlife Preserve 40 miles north of SLC in Layton, where the Great Salt Lake is now a marshland where the birds migrate to from all over the world.

The Great Salt Lake used to be (or still is what's left of it,) 70 miles long, stretching far and wide. I didn't realize it went that far until we went to visit the bird preserve. So much of the lake has dried up since its hey day, even the bird preserve you can't really see water. Just a lot of tall grass in the swampy marshland with a bridgelike promenade for visitors to walk around and take pictures.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 05:36PM

Here is how to get to the point where a given person can become an indie ("independent") film producer [which may include: writer, director, actor, etc.]:

My own formal film/film production classes were mainly extension (evening and weekends) classes from American Film Institute (located in the Hollywood area), but it appears that they may not be doing so many of these currently.

The best place to go now, for this same level of professional instruction, is probably UCLA Extension
https://www.uclaextension.edu/entertainment/film-tv/courses

I just skimmed their list of classes available, and they have some really good classes in indie film production, such as:

MGMT x403.34: Entertainment Financing: From First $ to Distribution of Profits

MGMT X403.33: Independent Film Financing

FILM TVX439: Inside the World of Film Acquisitions: How to Sell Your Project to Hollywood, which is detailed as: "Learn the art of selling your project to studios, production and sales companies, indie distributors and the like through understanding how buyers, known as acquisition execs, evaluate the "worth" of your projects."

As with anything having to do with "Hollywood," knowledge and talent are important, but connections are ESSENTIAL. (This is the fundamental reason why so many committed industry wannabes, especially those from outside the "Hollywood" orbit, get service jobs at particular restaurants: Many a career has been launched because of a person-to-person relationship which developed over time between a once-upon-a-time server and a recognized industry insider.)

This is why in-person classes are so important: The industry knowledge of the "hows" is good, and may turn out to be important in the future, but the value of the class is most often in the connections which are forged--between students and students, and between students and instructors--in this particular educational milieu.

One of the best things students learn, over time, in these classes is if they, as individuals, really belong in "Hollywood"--and if they are willing to do what is necessary to do in order to create a career in the industry. Many (perhaps most) people learn that they, as individuals, are NOT willing to put in the time, and do the work (some of which can be extremely unpleasant and distressful), in order to create an industry career.

Although "distance learning" of various kinds has some potential to be of educational (and, to a much lesser extent, of practical) value, it cannot compensate for the lack of human connections which evolve out of shared experiences in a classroom, both with fellow students who are going to be the next generation of industry "insiders," and with the various instructors (all of whom are industry professionals, usually with decades of credited accomplishments and industry awards).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 05:37PM by Tevai.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 10:24PM

Enjoy your choice of thousands of movies free, from the old silents to the most recent:

www.ffilms.org

I have been watching tons of movies, almost every day one or even two (I have lots of time).

They post about a dozen new movies almost every day, and they now have links to literally thousands of movies, from silent films of the 1920s right down to this year's academy awards movies.

It has a great search capability, either by title, actor, or director or genre (romance, horror, action, documentary, etc.)

If I see a title that looks interesting, I open another window and check the reviews on Imdb.com. I keep a list of films I want to watch when I want to see a movie - there are about 40 titles waiting for me!

I can watch for a while, and go right back to where I stopped, if I just make a note of the time point where i stopped.

But... DO NOT click on the "Play" or "Start Streaming" or "Download" buttons that appear. I don't know why they are there, because they take you to a registration page. That is completely unnecessary. Just click on the white triangle in the middle of the still frame, and the movie will start.

Disadvantages:
- some films have foreign subtitles (often Arabic)
- some films, although listed, are "not available" or "withdrawn at request of copyright holder" (I have found that sometimes they beccome available a few weeks later)
- some films have poor sound synchronization or some kind of visual reproduction fault
- a very few films say "full screen not available" when you click on the full screen button. However, there is usually a button in the upper right corner that will let you stream the film from another source that *does* allow full screen.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 11:23PM

Thank you!!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 09:09PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Thank you!!!

Yes.. thank you very much .

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 09:20PM

A lot of it is obviously geared to the LDS market with family fare, but even there, a few things show up. May I suggest 3 LDS family comedies that are surprisingly funny:

The R.M.
Singles Ward
Singles 2nd Ward.
>This sequel surpasses its predecessor. A cute scene: girl & boy meet, sparks fly, and they're engaged in the blink of an eye. The girl ("Christine," played very cute by Erin Chambers) breaks the 4th wall and faces the camera. She says, "When it comes to marriage, we Mormons believe, 'the sooner, the better!'" The rest of the film involves introducing her non-LDS family to her fiance, his family, and her religion. Lots of fun.

Edit: on further reflection, I'd say they're a bit below comedy, but rather, are farces (in the literary sense).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 02:18AM by caffiend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.