Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 04:57PM

She posted (or shared?) a photo this morning. It kind of goes hand in hand with her long-held opinon of LGBT members who feel left out or unwanted in the church.

And I'm sure this fine man is still in the minority in the church, especially in Bountiful, UT

https://imgur.com/a/mQGb8XK

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 05:08PM

mormon and feel that LGBT members are equal to them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 05:12PM

How does someone that open and honest even stay in the church?

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 05:38PM

Because she thinks she can make a difference.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 08:03PM

She is in it for the money. Leaving would mean lower sales and the built in buying crowd would disappear.

Date: July 08, 2019 05:21PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 05:59PM

I reached out to Carol Lynn way back in 1992 when my DH came out. I reached her through an article she had written in either Sunstone or Dialogue magazine. Anyhow, she wrote me a very heartfelt letter that helped me. At the time, I thought that she and I were the only two people in the church that this had happened to. She assured me there were many, many others. Of course, I know that know, but it was a very lonely time for me in 1992.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 06:24PM

That's a lovely article.

I've noticed a trend lately among young Christians to define Christianity in their own way. They do not always feel obligated to follow every rule or live their lives with exactitude. They are strongly, even militantly Christian, but they do it in a manner that works for them. IMO they are representing a sea change in the faith.

The same thing may well happen within even the narrow confines of Mormonism. They only real card that Mormonism holds is the temple. When young people start caring less about the temple, the church leaders will have lost the battle.

Young people in general are a lot more open minded and fair minded about LBGTQ individuals. This is not a battle the Mormon church is going to win.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 01:42AM

Hmmm...

Maybe as simple a thing as the notion,'live and let live' will spell the doom of the current nasty iteration of Mormonism.

One can dream!

Date: July 10, 2019 08:17PM

I don't remember her exact answer. She did tell me that Carol Lynn threw a party for Emily when she left the church. I'm unsure if any of her children are still active mormon. One of her sons isn't from what I last heard, but that has been years.

She doesn't go by church teachings per her books. I do think she stays in as she feels she can do more good inside than out.

Like gemini, I thought I was the only one until Carol Lynn wrote, "Good-Bye, I Love You." I read it the year she wrote it. It really helped me. The group that Emily started was a huge help to me, too. The group doesn't talk much anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.