Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Not me for this one ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 07:24PM

I have not cooked for years, because of an old spinal injury that has gone arthritic on me. I cannot stand or walk for more than 3 to 5 minutes at a time. I happily gave up cooking years ago. (Never liked it anyway, and wasn't any good at it.) I have to use one of those electric scooters at the store. Walking up and down the aisles is out of the question for me.

My spouse is a diabetic who really needs help with food prep. He tends to over-eat if the food isn't portioned out perfectly for him.

I have seen advertisements for food services like "Blue Apron," where they plan the menus for you, and provide the ingredients in pre-measured, insulated packages. You only have to put them together. This sounds like the answer to a prayer. We can afford them. They are delivered right to your home.

My spouse absolutely refuses to consider them. Not even a week's trial period. Won't even discuss it. I am at a complete loss to understand his rationale here. Can anybody help me to understand WHY a person would be against such a food plan? I am at a complete loss. I'm not normally dense - what am I not seeing here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 07:29PM

Where is this at???? I'd consider it myself.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 07:45PM

He likes the way things are now and is afraid of giving up control?

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 07:57PM

We gave them up. There was not alot of variety in there for the cost.
Suggest a prep cook or someone to come in and make the meals up for you. They are out there.

Posted by: ANON 3 ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 07:59PM

From craigslist as an example:

Hi there! I am a personal cook looking to expand my client base. I specialize in vegetarian, healthy meals that can be customized based off your dietary needs / restrictions / food allergies, etc. I typically cook for my clients once a week, making enough food to last them through their work week with breakfast & snack options, lunch & dinners. I can make meals family style or portion out in containers - whatever is easier and makes the most sense for your life. I am very flexible on days of the weeks / times. I charge $50/ hour + groceries (which range based off your pantry stock, but are typically $50-$60) Feel free email me if you're interested, or check out my Instagram @cherishedmeals. Thank you! -Amy

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:00PM

Look at the portion recommendations from 1966. Then, use smaller plates like they used in the 60's. Eat with a salad fork instead of a longer dinner fork. The bigger the plate, the more large portions look normal. It works.

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:02PM

I have tried them before, overall they tasted good, but they are expensive usually $10.00-$12.00 each if I recall. Most offer a good introductory price. Why is he protesting, is it the price?? Most grocery stores will deliver to you now, I think prices are $6.00-$9.00 extra for the delivery.

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:05PM

Because he likes over-eating.

Excuse me while I go cog that around for a while.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 02:56PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:10PM

Is he just a finicky eater? Some of that pre packaged food, or frozen foods are gross looking, like meatloafs ( to some people) ,or other foods normally not eaten or prepared differently than what he’s used to.
Do they give you a choice? The one you’re talking about sounds like they’ll go by what you like and prepare that for you, instead of just having a small selection.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:32PM

Maybe you can try them out for yourself for a week, and see how you like them. Let him decide based on your experience if it's something he would want to do for himself.

Would he consent to Meals on Wheels in your area? Or is that income based?

I like the portion controlled microwaveable meals that are vented in their packaging inside the bowls. You heat em up, and they're ready to serve right from the package. They're flash frozen, and very fresh tasting.

Not too expensive either.

Does your spouse like to do his own shopping and menu planning? Meal prepping? Maybe he likes to participate and doesn't want to let someone else take over the food prep.

Is eating out an option? Or take out?

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:44PM

This makes me think of my youngest sister when my mother was trying to wean her off baby food.She loved baby food mashed potatoes and gravy and macaroni and cheese. She would not even open her mouth for my mother’s homemade versions, so my mom just put it in her baby food jars. She loved it and gobbled it up , wanting more.
We told her when she got older, thinking she’d laugh.
She actually got upset and started crying, but she already liked and ate normal food by then.
We still tease her when she doesn’t like something,by asking her if she wants it in a baby food jar. Yes, she gets upset.
She’s the sour puss of the family.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 08:48PM

You might want to contact your local Dept. of Social Services and inquire about Meals on Wheels. Balanced meals are delivered every day to your home. This is usually free.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 08, 2019 10:58PM

Might I suggest checking your local grocery store.

Our local Smith's Marketplace offers prepackaged dinners for two. Seems they have a few mewls they rotate through and often have a buy two get one free.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 12:24AM

How do you handle a hungry man ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyU--Tb-MO4

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 12:26AM

Whatever you do, don’t try Hello Fresh.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 12:38AM

Why not ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 12:39AM

Because it's run by militant atheists and masonic conspirators.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 12:47AM

What?
No cultural marxists?

Date: July 09, 2019 12:52AM

Elderpopejoy/normdeplume hasn't adopted Jordan2/HWint/LogicalCanuckExMo/CanuckExMo/Jordan1's lexicon, so no cultural Marxists. Only militant atheists, masonic conspirators, and leftist bankers. . . so far.

But the night is young.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 12:53AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 09, 2019 01:06AM

Yes, but what if some of the leftist, masonic, atheist bankers are Marxists?

Date: July 09, 2019 01:23AM

As long as they are also cultured!

Date: July 09, 2019 01:53AM

What if they don't have any Neanderthal DNA?

Date: July 09, 2019 02:18AM

Oh, they'll have Neanderthal DNA. All atheists are troglodytes, especially the Marxist ones.

Date: July 09, 2019 02:25AM

But what if they came from Nibiru?

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 03:46AM

wrong location

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 03:47AM by scmd1.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 03:48AM

You may already know this but I doubt Knothead USC would be all that put off by either atheists or Masonic conspirators. She probably just likes food that is good.

This is in the wrong place. It's supposed to be in response to Lot's Wife's comment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 05:05AM by scmd1.

Date: July 09, 2019 03:57AM

A woman after my own heart.

Probably wrong to go off on a tangent in a way that may inadvertently seem related to her, since it was not.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:32AM

My husband and I were subscribers to Hello Fresh for two years. We had a number of terrible customer service issues, to include them once sending me six boxes. Then, two years after I cancelled the service, some "zombie" in their system unexpectedly resurrected it and they sent me a box out of the blue, weeks before I was going to move out of our house. I ended up spending a week and multiple emails trying to get them to delete my information. It was a nightmare, for which they repeatedly tried to blame me.

Plus, the food wasn't that good and it was overpriced for what we got.

Look them up online. They get many complaints... I wrote extensively about our experiences in my blogs. This guy summed it up even better, though... He's in The Netherlands.

https://medium.com/@sidneyvollmer/fuck-you-hellofresh-ac44152b8e0a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 03:34AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2019 09:22AM

Some of my neighbors get those food services. The boxes are *really* heavy. I would not get them for that reason alone.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:38AM

Take a look at Schwans.com They are frozen not really what you were asking about but you may find some items would work for you. One nice thing about them is it is easy to portion. They also have "Live Smart" options and you can filter by allergies and "Special Diets".

I always keep a box of #502 on hand. They are even water tight so you plop them in hot tap water and they are ready to go in 20 or so minutes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 05:33PM

That's an interesting site, Susan. I will give it a try. Many of their meals are economical.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 04:50AM

Well, if you had 5 kids and your husband eats like a bear the cost would be a problem. It was a lifesaver when DH traveled 90% of the time. Now I cook for two but neither of us eats all that much. The "Skillet Meals" are nice because you can just do half the bag. The single serve lasagna will feed us both. The pot pies are great and you can partially nuke them and then finish them in the oven, cuts the cook time way down. Give the #502s a shot. I don't know what I would do without them :)

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 04:20PM

I had to look up the 502's and yes I have had them, just never referred to them by the number.

This is a great place because you only order when you need things, no weekly schedule involved.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 05:34PM

I and my wife have been using one of these services (called QuiToque) here in France on and off for about a year, and it's been very good, as well as useful in terms of judging the right quantities, something that can be difficult when your children start leaving home. We went from 5 to 2 in the space of 5 years. It also gives you new recipe ideas.

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 05:35PM by Soft Machine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.