Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 12:27AM

I kid you not.

The "family oriented" Mormon church took my niece from her family for 18 months.

Her elderly grandparents weren't sure they would be around when she got back and she's the hands down favorite.

Her parents had the family over for dinner in her honor. After 45 minutes, she and her mother left to do "splits" with the missionaries.

Wow.

Her grandmother said it was her idea. She did NOT want to come home from her (stateside) mission.

What a great family church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:37AM

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 06:14AM

I remember being nuts like that when I returned from my mission. I also went on splits with the sister missionaries and tracted. I felt guilty watching television. There is hope for your niece though. I came to my senses and quit the church. It took almost ten years from the time I returned from my mission, but I got out. I still can't believe I broke free. I was uber TBM when I was a missionary and couldn't fathom how anyone could leave the only true church.

Most missionaries will gush about their missions just after returning home. After more time passes and they can evaluate it from a distance, they start to realize how f'd up it all was.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 06:43AM

It's difficult to adjust to her new situation. I'm sorry for her family.

I think it must be like someone who is newly retired. They might still wake at a time from when they worked and they might feel at loose ends trying to organize their days and feel useful.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 09:15AM

The pattern and routine of tracting may be so ingrained and accustomed to her by now that she feels obliged that it is her duty to go out with some missionaries to help them become used to "the drill."

Unfortunately it does nothing to help her readjust to life back in mainstream life without the mission dictating her every move, how to think and act.

She is so brainwashed and programmed by now and doesn't even have a clue that she is a mindless morgbot with no will or judgment left of her own.

What happened to college plans? Career? Family? Everything else placed on hold including her life ... she'd have gotten more mileage had she been a Catholic nun and joined a convent. At least they'd give her room/board and a stipend to live on with health insurance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 09:16AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 09:23AM

My outlook... Labor Day wedding and a 4th of July baby in 2020.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 01:07AM

tumwater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My outlook... Labor Day wedding and a 4th of July
> baby in 2020.

Unfortunately, that might happen to the point that if she realizes what she's done, she'll have 3 children under the age of 4 when she's 26. That's what happened with my youngest TBM step sister, after being home from her mission, she married a fellow RM after only weeks of dating and a brief engagement, then had her first child a month shy of her first wedding anniversary. Then, an Irish twin the following year, and more recently, a 3rd child. The only good thing I can say about her husband is that at least he wasn't a total stranger as they were in some community theater group in high school. I basically unfollowed her on Facebook because she's still posting Mormon propaganda crap on her page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 01:11AM by doyle18.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 01:08PM

Let's put this on the back burner and check back to see if there is any news a year from now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 10:14AM

It's messed up, but beyond that, it's rude. Who invites someone to dinner, and then gets up from the dinner table along with the guest of honor, and goes out 45 minutes later? Invite people over when you have time to actually visit with them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 10:23AM

It's not likely that this was a spur of the moment decision. So there is a basis for considering this to be a ham-handed incident of virtue signaling, especially on the part of the mother. And it's 'splits'! She's not even spending the time with her daughter...

"Hey, everybody, look how mormon we are!"

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 11:23AM

Tell your neice to get a job and stop using Mormonism as deversion to not get a job

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 11:26AM

Uggh!

Her Kool-Aid really took.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 11:51AM

In mormonism, family is only important as long as supports mormonism.

When I got home from my mission I had no desire to continue pitching for the church. I was 22, got married soon after returning, and preferred cooking a nice meal for the local missionaries rather than join them in their work.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 11:54AM

and my daughter is extremely close to the family since he was the bishop when she went back to church. She is close to all the kids. Three of them have gone on missions and the last one just returned a month ago. No more smiles on their faces. They used to be a happy bunch. The older daughter who went has never been the same. She loved her mission and came home and gained a bunch of weight. All 3 of them have gained weight.

They all seemed so thrilled on their missions and now they are "blue" all the time. You see it in how they act. They really were happy kids before.

Date: July 10, 2019 03:42PM

My RM niece became anorexic since her mission, marriage and children. She looks painfully thin and sickly. She's very tall too, so her thinness makes her look like a rail. Not a healthy image at all. But she's still controlled by the insanity of Mormonism.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 08:32PM

how is mormonism responsible for her thinness?

Date: July 10, 2019 01:50PM

Brain washed... its more than just a mind F**k.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:08PM

I think that for some people there is a security factor in being controlled to the extent that the missionaries are.
There is a feeling of belonging, albeit super controlling, that insecure people need.

Date: July 10, 2019 03:43PM

Maybe they like the rigidity of the order and the meticulousness of it all, like boot camp?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:50PM

Maybe my critique of the situation was a bit harsh. I am appalled by the timing. She came home and ran off to do splits, that's just wrong at so many levels. I also ended up as a ward missionary, but that wasn't by my choice. When I arrived home, I just wanted to see and spend time with my family and friends. I didn't want to go anywhere for 24 hours. I agree that it can take some time to adjust; the last thing on my mind was going tracting and filling out that damn blue planner of missionary activity.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 01:28AM

The first thing I did was head out to a Japanese restaurant and I was instantly disappointed.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 07:23AM

Totally not a CULT!

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 01:14PM

It's a mind-f*** for sure...the missionary experience. I cam home in July, when summer was in full force. I remember feeling guilty for wearing cargo shorts, flip flops, and a T-shirt, but within 48 hours the cult-guilt began to dissipate. I quickly got into the college mode, with one summer class. I saw a cute young lady at my local college
and she flirted with me, and we went on a date. Yeah, it didn't much for the cult-hold to leave especially when she wore her daisy duke shorts and summer top. Suddenly the BOM took a back seat, or was me that took a back seat...anyway I suspect give her 1 week, and she'll be back to normal.

Date: July 11, 2019 02:24PM

Reddit has a story today about a sister missionary who got an extension of her mission and then went from the 'welcome home' at the airport directly to the temple where not only did she do a session, but also did sealings, kneeling across the alter from her dad...

I can't remember if I was holding hands at any point with my temple bride during the ceremony. Would I want to act out the sealing ceremony with someone I wasn't in love with?

Date: July 11, 2019 03:45PM

The cult force is strong with this one.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 03:46PM

Yeah, but Saucie loves him nonetheless.

Date: July 11, 2019 03:48PM

Is there a correlative to "nonetheless"? Like "everthemore"?

Date: July 11, 2019 03:51PM

I'm sure you two will carry your relationship right into the afterlife although some of the amorous appeal may diminish after the equipment adjustments in the TK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 03:51PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 11, 2019 03:55PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I'm sure you two will carry your relationship
> right into the afterlife although some of the
> amorous appeal may diminish after the equipment
> adjustments in the TK.

...smooth operator...

Date: July 11, 2019 03:58PM

Ah, that allusion makes me feel sade.

Date: July 11, 2019 06:26PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Ah, that allusion makes me feel sade.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. I love you Lots , Lot's wife.

Date: July 11, 2019 03:51PM

Hahaha...good one. Just be clear, I was referring to the "sister" missionary in his reference.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 06:51PM

If I didn’t hear it here first, I wouldn’t believe it. You guys are the only source that I trust , as far as reliable LDS topics.
Where else would a child come home after an 18 month labour, and her own mother takes her away from friends and family for more labour? What was that thing about families staying together?
Guess it doesn’t count towards family get togethers.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 06:56PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.