Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 11:31PM

After posting the "Outer Space Experience", I shall try another off-beat subject, which I know to have happened, because I have dreams that reveal real things! In fact, I have prayed not to have them anymore because they can be so unsettling to me.

Below, are two I shall report to you-all.

. My father-in-law, a kindly, gentle man--and a none believer in an after life--came to me one night to tell me that he was in a wonderful place with lots of space and endless green grass on rolling hills.
I also saw his wife--my not-so-nice mother-in-law,
off in the distance, observing him. She hadn't been very kind to him in their real life together ("Oh, Sherwood", she often said demeaning things to him after he had read something of interest to him in the dictionary--as if he were a dunce--which was decidedly not true.)

. Second story: My husband's cousin came to me to let my husband know that she was OK. She told me she had come to me because she couldn't "reach" him.

There are a few other stories, but these are good enough for now---I don't want to tax your patience with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 12:28AM

As long as you're not bragging about it or wanting to charge me for 'information' from the Great Beyond, I'm okay with it.

I am interested in one comment, though:

> I have prayed not to
> have them anymore
> because they can be
> so unsettling to me.

If you stop having them, the dreams, don't you worry that you will no longer be special? That people will lose interest in you and not want to be your friend since you no longer have that something special to offer them?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 12:48AM

I'm curious a few things, PollyThinks ("PollyDreams"?). For starters, how long were you LDS, and through what stages of your life?

Secondly, are other people in your family prone to powerful dreams, promptings, experiences with (or sensing) people or beings who are not of the temporal plane (especially deceased family)?

I understand Mormons to be, or at least feel, more connected with departed family members. Do you think your experiences are consistent with other people's? More? Less?

I don't want to get into an argument over whether they are real, psychological, metaphysical, or anything. You present your experiences as ontologically real, and I ask others to discuss this accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 12:49AM by caffiend.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 01:17AM

I have not believed in a hereafter or a spirit world for at least 30 years. But I find dreams interesting having had many myself over my lifetime.

When I was 10 years old my grandfather, who I loved very much, died. Seeing him in his casket was very sad to me. Soon I would dream about seeing him in his casket and he would just lay there and I would wake up crying. This dream repeated most nights for several months. Then one night during this same dream he sat up and said my name. After that the dreams stopped, never to return. I am now 77 and still remember this dream as if it were yesterday.

I had several different dreams as a child that kept repeating, not every night but often. Some were very scary and some were thrilling. I still remember in detail one dream where I was walking through the woods, came to a clearing and walked to the center. I then looked back into the woods and saw many eyes looking at me. The eyes were wolves who all ran at me at the same time and I would wake up at that very moment. A second dream I could float above the earth and move around just be willing it to be so. It felt wonderful then I would wake up to reality.

Nowadays I dream a lot especially just before I wake up. Each dream is different but all are common in that I am very frustrated with something. It always includes some aspect of my life, but unrelated events and people are jumbled together.

Because of my experience I believe some people have dreams that include some interaction with the dead or with angels etc. That may be what happened to Joseph Smith when Moroni visited him.

I think the most likely explanation for dreams is that some brain chemistry or neuron interaction occurs when we are asleep that mismatches memories.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 01:27AM

what I'm especially interested is dreams and other such experiences, such as premonitions, "leadings," "directions," and the ever-popular "promptings" that relate to LDS teaching and popular discourse.

The dream concerning your grandfather seems to fit into that category. As you've related them, the others, not so much, unless there are other details?

My understanding is that dreams relate to REM (Rapid Eye Movement), a time when the brain is very active, but also gaining its greatest rest--which is paradoxical, I know. Maybe I'm mistaken. REM occurs at different cycles, but is especially common before waking, which is why you remember those dreams.

But I digress. What piques my interest is dreams with strong family, spiritual, or metaphysical* significance.

*perhaps your floating dream?

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 09:13PM

I have had a number (5-10) of premonitions concerning danger. Mainly driving but also skiing and hiking. I have had a number of meditation, RV and dream experiences that support: reincarnation, Jesus was not a 'God in the Flesh', there are no 'resurrected beings' in the after life, no one true church, no special requirements to make it back to the after life, no 100% accurate 'scripture from God',etc. etc.. Which would indicate LDS inc. is a scam!!!

As far as dreams I did an experiment a few weeks ago to determine whether I could predict a specific newspaper headlines the next day. I had 4 dreams over 3 nights and they were basically right on with 'general information'. One dream I got a pic with smoke and assumed it was a fire, however, the pic was published and there was 'smoke' but it was an article on firework safety and there was clearly a firework explosion in the pic in the news source. However, the 'specifics' to help avoid any were not given to me. Maybe I will try a missing person or similar event in the future to see if I can see if the person is dead or where they/body is.

I am currently experimenting on forecasting the stock market (SPX index). I thought I tried in the past without success but last night I asked whether the SPX, currently at record highs, would be higher on October 30, 2019 (a few months away). I had 3 dreams last night which I recorded and they all indicated the market would be 'lower' by Oct 30 than it is now. Why 3 different dreams ---- who knows!

I will probably ask for a shorter term prediction tonight so I can track the accuracy of shorter term predictions before I rely on longer term predictions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2019 12:04AM by spiritist.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 11:26PM

I've had premonition dreams also.

My TBM paternal grandmother was the "medium" in my Mormon family side, and so was her mother, my great grandmother. If there is such a thing as it being hereditary.

It may also have been passed down through my Jewish side because some of my Jewish ancestors were very prayerful, spiritual, and believed devoutly in miracles and divine intercession.

One of my great, great grand uncles gave a sermon on divine intercession and the miracle of his German village being spared during the Napoleonic siege of their surrounding area that was preserved along with another sermon he gave for the dedication of their synagogue some years later, still in Israel today. They had to have a lot of faith to survive the many pogroms and persecution they did as Jewish people down through the centuries and remain a tribe.

Recently learning I have Mennonite ancestors who immigrated here from Switzerland in 1700 adds another layer of devoutly religious people who came here to escape persecution and practice their religion. They were also very sincere and faithful believers who likely had miraculous stories of their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2019 11:29PM by Amyjo.

Date: July 14, 2019 08:43AM

I will add that my Mormon grandmother refused to have anything at all to do with the occult. She didn't want to engage it because she didn't believe it came from heavenly forces. She thought it came from other than or even demonic forces. So she did not entertain things like tarot cards, palm readings, or the Ouija board.

When some women she knew once were gathered at a friend's house for an afternoon social get-together she walked into the place, and the Ouija board soon stopped working that they were playing with. They asked it why did it stop? It answered right before quitting that someone in the room "did not believe" in it.

That someone was my grandmother. She refused to have anything to do with the occult. Yet she still was gifted with premonitions and dreams during her life having to do with her family. Which is rather common for people with some psychic abilities or more commonly known as being highly intuitive.

Date: July 13, 2019 11:20PM

I've had messages similar to yours about my stepmother after she died that she was in heaven surrounded by a rolling green meadow on a mountainside with a house nearby and people milling around it. She was blissfully happy and told me "Now I have everything I ever wanted." When I shared the dream with my dad he told me that he hoped she still wanted him!

She passed Christmas Eve, 1993. When my dad passed away 7 years later, some months after his passing and only a couple days right after Memorial Day I dreamt he was in heaven singing the most beautiful song I've heard ever. It was so lovely words and music that I hoped I wouldn't forget it upon waking. But of course I did forget the words. I didn't forget there was a chorus of angels singing with him though. Or that he was with my stepmother.

I didn't pray for signs for my parents when they died. Nor did it upset me that I received any for them. If they were disturbing I might pray that they stop.

But I haven't felt a need to pray for signs or the absence of them. I am a praying person however.

And have seen spirits also, including the spirit of my brother who died from cancer as a child. He appeared to me several years after his passing, in broad daylight while I was washing dishes. I was ten then. He was smiling at me just letting me know he was happy to see me and seemed to be doing fine. He was wearing a blue and white striped polo shirt and what looked dungarees. Then he was gone.

He was six when he died from cancer, and I was four.

My great grandmother appeared to me too around the same time (when I was about ten,) only I did not recognize her. Until years later as an adult when I saw her in a photograph. She is the same woman married to the great grandpa I placed a tombstone for three years ago who went 127 years without one, who was a Civil War veteran. She remarried after he died, but died herself in 1951. Years before I was born. He died in the late 1800's.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 11:39PM

My late DW had lots of dreams. Lucid dreams, premonitions, etc. I rarely have those kind. They are symbolic, like most people’s dreams. Since the symbolism is common for everyone, because at that level we’re closer to one mind, you can look up meanings on the Internet.

When she died the first time and came back, she described scenery similar to what you described. Green grass and trees that were vibrant green. Beautiful flowers that shimmer. It’s better than anything on Earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2019 11:42PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 06:13AM

Has anyone else here had a dream where you gain consciousness in the dream, without waking up or the dream ending right away? This has happened to me three times in my life, once as a young child and twice now later in life. In the one dream as a child, I just realized that it was a dream and that I could do whatever I wanted to do which included apparently no limits to where I could be or what I could experience. I can still remember flying like superman in that dream and knowing in real time that despite what I saw, heard, and felt, that it wasn't real. In the two other dreams in recent years, the dreams started out bordering on nightmares and when I looked for a way out of the bad circumstances, I realized that it was just a dream. You only get a short time period in this state of consciousness before you actually wake up. At least it has worked that way for me. But for a few moments, you can literally create whatever you want to create and things happen, simply because you expect them to happen. But then when you start engaging your logical mind to think "what do I want to experience here", that is when you wake up. I've never learned how to pull myself back in to the dream state again at that point. The feeling of transitioning from that state to full awake consciousness feels strange. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to is what one would imagine it might be like to be born or to die. You pass from one reality to another without the ability to control your destination. In the transition, what you feel and experience isn't either reality so much as it is a short journey through something in-between. Since it doesn't happen often enough, I don't expect to live long enough to figure out how to pull back in to that dream state intentionally or how to create it intentionally.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 07:14PM

Just to let you know, azsteve--I have had these exact experiences with dreams. You're not the only one. You describe this very well!

In the good dreams, I just have enjoyed the dream, whether it was flying, riding a winged pegasus, being able to be several places at once, or whatever. I wonder if the flying dreams came from my climbing very high trees, almost daily, in my back yard. I could escape from my bully brother, and enjoy the view, and let the wind sway the tree, underneath me. In one flying dream, I could levitate only about a yard off the ground, using only my mind, but everyone was amazed at that. I was a high-jumper in high school, and I would always visualize clearing the bar, before each jump, so that's where it came from. Most dreams can be explained.

I have PTSD, from being battered for 14 months, by the psychopathic wife-beater whom I married in the temple. With the final beating, he strangled me until I stopped breathing. I thought I had died. In my recurring dream, I dream that I'm waking up (but I'm still asleep), feeling the horror of being stalked by that thug, and that he is going to kill me. In the dream, I turn on the light, get out of bed, and start walking through the house, but no one is there. I'm safe. I get back into bed, turn off the light, and lie down again. As soon as I lie down, my ex suddenly jumps on me, his face snarling in my face, and he is attacking me! I scream as loud and as long as I can! The noise would wake me up.

Oh yeah, I screamed in real life, and this horrified those who lived with me! I thought this would end when I got married a second time, but it just got worse.

I went into therapy for PTSD, and my cognitive-behavioral therapist said to try to create a different outcome of the dream. I could not. Why was I having this dream? Was there something I needed to learn? I was slowly getting over the PTSD. The abuse was long over, but why did the dream remain?

Then one night, during the dream, I left the light on, and I was going to bravely look my assailant in the eye and confront him. When I looke at his face this time, it was the face of my second husband! I woke up screaming, as usual.

It turned out that my second Mormon husband had been cheating on me since our honeymoon. I didn't realize this was happening, until I investigated, and got all the facts. (Most people like to actually brag about their affairs, and I got a lot of information.) He was nice at first, but soon became very cruel to me and to our children. He had a nasty disposition, and secretly hated women. He was a Narcissist, and passive-aggressive, and manipulative, and sneaky, and a liar. But all this showed up in my dreams, because my sub-conscious had detected his shifty gaze, his nervous body-language, my children's fear that he would hit them--all the things I was denying in my waking life. My second husband abandoned me and my children, out of the blue, disappearing with a phone call, in which he said, "I don't care about you and the children. I don't want a family anymore." That was 20 years ago, and he has had almost no contact at all.

Dream can be a warning!!! Your subconscious notices things that your waking mind overlooks. Listen to your intuition. Those primal instincts are built into you to help you survive. Don't ignore your dreams.

Date: July 17, 2019 06:45AM

App two years and six months ago one of my children and I had a warning dream that was nearly identical twelve hours apart about his sibling and my other child. He called me from his time zone shortly after he'd woken up to tell me about his dream.

I was stunned because it was as vivid and in as much detail as the one I'd received twelve hours before in my time zone about his sibling. The dream was a warning to both of us she was in some kind of peril.

My son is not a believer or into dreams, signs, etc. He found it compelling enough to call me and tell me about it though. When it matched my dream down to the same details, it was beyond coincidence.

I'd woken up the night before in a sweat that something was seriously wrong where my daughter was. But I had no information as to her well-being. I was just worried sick about her. She had cut off ties to our family and moved across the world with assistance from the Mormon cult where we live. But I knew in my heart and gut something was terribly awry.

That was at 2 in the morning. It was around 6 a.m. when I dreamt the dream that woke me up. It was twelve hours later that my son had his dream that was nearly exactly the same as mine - both having to do with her in extreme peril and with the same details. His time zone was early morning when he had his dream that was the same as mine was.

That in turn compelled me to say a prayer, a most heartfelt prayer to heavenly father, regarding my daughter. Since I had no other information to go on at that time. When my prayer was ended, I opened the bible and the first page it opened to was the scripture where Jesus raised the daughter from the dead and healed the woman who touched the hem of his garment. They are back to back in the same verse practically. As soon as the prayer ended, and that scripture popped out from the bible at me, I felt an immediate peace and reassurance washing over me to trust that God had this situation in his control and for me to turn it over to his care (whatever was going on since we didn't know what the dreams symbolized, other than the dire warning I took them for.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 06:49AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 07:55AM

I've not had any dreams that I recognize as being from dead people, but some of my relations have had dreams of grandpa coming and giving directions on where to go to rent a house, and later that they wanted them to live in their empty house. I also had a 2nd cousin that had a dream about coming back to Cache Valley. And saw the end of times that the valley was going to fill up with people from all over the world. And that there is suppose to be such over crowding of migrants that folks are going to be camping out in the fields west of town. And on our family farms. There is even suppose to be some supposed end times vision from Brigham Young, and Peter Maughn about that, but I've never been able to find it. I don't know?

Posted by: Starry rarely posts ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 08:36AM

My grandmother passed away in 1999, I was very close to her and prayed to god to tell my grandmother hello from me and that I missed her. About 2 years later I had a dream one night that she appeared in she was young about 35ish, jet black hair and wearing a dress from the 1940’s. She did not speak but was smiling and kept looking at her right hand. This is significant because she had no right hand in life,having lost it as a baby. I told this dream to my priest (Catholic) and he said it was a visitation to let me know she was whole and happy. He said the Bible hints at such dreams and was a believer in them himself.

My mother passed away in 2016, about a month ago my daughter-in-law said she had a dream in which she was gardening, she turned around and saw my mom standing there surrounded by hummingbirds and butterflies, lots of them. She asked my mom “ what are you doing here” and mom responded “just checking in to see how y’all are doing”. She loved hummingbirds and butterflies. And the response sounds just like her. Real or not these dreams are comforting and beautiful. I choose to believe in them.

Date: July 17, 2019 09:06AM

My stepmother was youngish when she appeared to me in the dream she did after she died. I only knew her when she was older. And she was dressed in a plain and simple dress but nice looking, smiling and radiantly happy.

I believe in such messages from beyond also. The dream itself was poignant and delivered in such a way that it was a message to me that she was on the other side. The significance at that time I felt was she'd been a Jack Mormon for most of her life. My dad and her were not church going, but were very good and decent people, who lived by the Golden Rule.

She hated Mormon church meetings, especially F&T meetings.

She told me toward the end of her life she 'believed in parts of it, and rejected other parts of it.' She lived a good life, better than many church going people can say.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.