Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 09:07AM

"Researchers from the University of Nottingham have discovered that drinking a cup of coffee can stimulate “brown fat”, the body’s own fat-fighting defenses, which could be the key to tackling obesity and diabetes.

The study, published earlier this week in the journal Scientific Reports, is one of the first to be carried out in humans to find components which could have a direct effect on “brown fat” functions, an important part of the human body which plays a key role in how quickly we can burn calories as energy."

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/coffee-could-fight-obesity/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 09:18AM

The jury is already out on the benefits of drinking coffee... besides getting a metabolic boost... prevents sclerosis of the liver... protects against certain types of cancers... reduces depression... big boost of antioxidants... increases longevity...JS got this one completely wrong... (decaf provides the same benefits) BTW... I am on my first cup!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 10:26AM

And the new Starbucks at the edge of BYU campus should enjoy a robust business. I predict it will.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 12:23PM

Nice way to compensate for calorie bombs loaded up with cream and sugar.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 14, 2019 09:33AM

I load mine up with stevia and fat free half and half.

My coffee of late has been organic with hints of dried almond, swiss chocolate and cherry. Need I say more? (It's FAT FREE, sugar free indulgence!)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 12:25PM

Given my age and the fact I've been drinking coffee for 54 years I should be narrow...I am not!

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 01:01PM

For me coffee is a major appetite suppressant in the morning. When I get up in the morning at 6:30am, I head straight for the coffee maker, and put on a pot of Folgers. I drink for function, I have two cups, and sweeten it with Stevia. It takes about 20 minutes for it to kick in, and by that time I am at the gym where I do 30 minutes of cardio and 60 minutes of weight lifting (6 days per week). I don't eat my first meal until noon. At 53, I am in the best shape of my life. Coffee is a God send for many reasons, including an appetite suppressant, an energy boost for working out, and all those health benefits. I remember the 40 years in the cult of not drinking coffee, and my gosh was I missing out. Mormons are missing out big time when it comes to coffee. Just keep drinking the kool aid Mormons!

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 01:20PM

As much coffee as I drink, I must not be drinking it right.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 01:36PM

He drinks quite a bit of coffee. I don't drink it at all. I do have type 2 diabetes. He doesn't, but diabetes runs on both sides of my family and there aren't any in his family.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 05:34PM

Stop eating processed sugar and grain products. Your type 2 diabetes will be resolved. No potatoes. No bananas. Look up Dr. Jason Fung and watch his videos. Lots of people are resolving type 2 diabetes and no longer are needing meds to manage it. Jason Fung is not the only doctor talking about this. I laugh that the LDS Church preached store sugar and wheat and promoted eating whole grains. Dumb.

Date: July 14, 2019 11:08PM

What's wrong with bananas? I thought they are healthy and loaded with potassium.

I use them in my fruit smoothies along with blueberries, greek yogurt and other healthy ingredients.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 11:51PM

That photo is hilarious !

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 11:06PM

So decide you want to believe in coffee, then go looking for evidence to support it.

Smoking also reduces obesity.

My daughter had to give coffee up because the withdrawals were too bad when she couldn't have it.

Let me share a secret to avoiding obesity. Eat less and/or exercise more.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 14, 2019 01:38AM

Free Man Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Let me share a secret
> to avoiding obesity. Eat
> less and/or exercise more.

This is crazy talk!!

Date: July 14, 2019 09:53AM

Coffee for me boosts my metabolism. It also reduces my craving for cho-co-late.

When I was a Mor-mon, I craved chocolate all the time. Once I began allowing myself to drink tea and coffee in moderation the cravings for chocolate nearly subsided altogether. I realized then it wasn't the chocolate I was craving in chocolate, but the caffeine in chocolate that kept me coming back for more.

And hot cocoa to that mix. I don't drink that hardly anymore either. It's just sugar and cocoa mixed together.

All the sugar in chocolate was far worse for me than coffee or tea has been. Plus I get the added health benefits of the antioxidants and other health benefits.

10 healthy reasons why tea is beneficial for you:

https://www.today.com/series/one-small-thing/top-10-health-benefits-drinking-tea-t81111

Five reasons why drinking coffee and tea are good for you:

"Coffee and tea not only provide cozy morning rituals and boosts of energy during midday slumps; these hot drinks have also been long acknowledged for their medicinal properties, which primarily come from the caffeine and antioxidants found in coffee beans and tea leaves. While coffee is higher in both caffeine and antioxidants than tea, you can drink more tea throughout the day to gain equal health benefits. ...

When it comes to coffee, some of the health benefits come from the caffeine, some from the powerful antioxidant properties, and there are likely benefits from other constituents of coffee as well.

According to researchers at Harvard University, the main health benefits of tea stem from the catechins and epicatechins, two types of polyphenols antioxidants contained in tea leaves. The caffeine in tea also offers some health benefits.

Don’t disregard herbal teas and decaf teas and decaf coffee, which are caffeine-free but also provide high levels of antioxidants. Here are five benefits that you can enjoy from drinking coffee and tea, and a note on potential side effects.

5 Benefits from Coffee and Tea
1. Protection against liver disease and cancer. Coffee is high in antioxidants, which help neutralize free radicals that can cause degradation to cells (associated with premature aging) and contribute to the development of some cancers. The antioxidants found in coffee may be beneficial in the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and may reduce the risk of liver cancer and death from chronic liver disease. According to the National Cancer Institute, the antioxidants of green tea may help to reduce tumor growth.

2. Possible decreased risk of dementia. The caffeine in coffee and tea has long been shown to stimulate brain activity, but new studies show that the caffeine in both coffee and tea may protect against dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

Some research has even suggested a possible correlation between coffee consumption and decreased risk of Parkinson’s disease. It may also be the caffeine from the coffee that protects against Parkinson’s because decaf drinkers don’t appear to have the same protection.

3. Lowered risk of type 2 diabetes. Recent research by Harvard University School of Public Health indicates that the polyphenols from coffee or tea consumption can lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and help improve insulin secretion and sensitivity.

4. Protection from cardiovascular disease. As studies suggest, the consumption of both coffee and green tea may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. Researchers have found that antioxidants in coffee may offer protective effects on the vascular system.

5. Immune-boosting properties. According to recent research, coffee, white teas, and green teas can help boost the immune system.

Coffee and Tea: Potential Side Effects
Caffeine can cause the following side effects:

Anxiety
Insomnia
Irregular heartbeat
Coffee (both regular and decaf) can also irritate the digestive tract, bladder, and prostate.

The concerns with high caffeine consumption apply equally to coffee and tea, but you’d have to drink many more cups of tea to ingest those same high levels of caffeine. If you’re drinking a cup of tea in the evening, you may want to opt for caffeine-free herbal tea or white tea, which contains the lowest amount of caffeine, so as not to interfere with your sleep habits.

Overall it appears that various types of tea and coffee have excellent health benefits so it’s mostly a matter of personal preference as to which one you prefer to drink. It is best to drink organic coffee and tea to avoid ingesting pesticides and other harmful substances."

https://chopra.com/articles/5-health-benefits-from-drinking-tea-and-coffee

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2019 11:28PM

Nutrition 'facts' about any food, drink, or supplement are seldom all 'benefical'.

Surveys & studies don't seem unbiased .

Date: July 14, 2019 09:38AM

I'm using it to help me wake up since my Big Clifford puppy wakes me up now at 5:30 in the morning. I need to re-adjust my lifestyle, or hers.

It takes 14 months to wean a puppy off three feedings a day. Only ten more months to go !

She's so big she reminds me of Clifford, the big red dog. Only she is tri-colored with rust, black and white markings. She has white feet that make it look like she's wearing socks. But no, I didn't name her Socks. My neighbor calls her that because her paws are so big, an indicator of how big she's going to get.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 14, 2019 01:42PM

I believe the following is from Jamie Lee Curtis. I may be paraphrasing, but I like it in this format:

Eat Less
Move More
Do Good

A pretty simple life, which includes coffee that has no calories and has tons of benefits.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2019 11:54PM

so can Snake Oil.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.