Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 11:21PM

That oughtta be rich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 11:38PM

As long as colored men shave their locks and adopt a shiny bald headed look similar to the First Presidency then there's no incidents like a small "misunderstanding" of locks of hair at the temple, right?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 02:29AM

I can feel BY & a few of his successors Spinning in their graves from my residence in the PNW / NW Washington state...

Mr. Nelson: Did you get my request to help with family reconciliation when you came to Seattle?

Yes, this is the incident where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints KNOWINGLY approved/condoned/ratified/excused a vicious, deceitful divorce;

my email is open listed here on RfM, I'll be waiting for your contact...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 08:15AM

The article is complete rubbish.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 09:51AM

I didn't read it. I won't do that again.

But then I suppose that I assumed any story that had a mormon prophet addressing the NAACP was worth exmo commentary.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 09:07AM

Ummm, Nelson is not going to "explain Gawds about face to anyone." But that would be something I'd pay attention to.

The article says the church is trying to help blacks get jobs? What that entails is probably the GAs exhorting people to go get jobs. GAs aren't going to help anyone but their own relatives. Nelson says he wants "Unity in Diversity"?

Nelson isn't going to lift a finger to help anyone who is Diverse. That should be apparent.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 10:29AM

As usual, this is about the church helping itself. Growth is in Africa so they are seeding the internet with stories about the church and blacks and how good they are for each other. This is a form of SEO and image spin to reduce the hits on boacks and lds search.

Because the phrase "blacks and the priesthood" is more of an informed search term. You have to already know something to use that phrase. Burying the term mormon also helps hide searches for blacks and mormons. Searching on black and Church of Jesus Christ isnt going to pull up the negative history.

A little church whitewash to increase African revenue and growth before the truth is readily available there.

Date: July 18, 2019 01:50PM

How long before they get around to trying to make a search for 'women + mormons' into a wholesome, uplifting experience?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 01:55PM

You mean it isn't already?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 02:59PM

I saw this on the news last night and was going to say something, but then forgot.

Posted by: logged out again ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 06:05PM

He will prophetsplain to them why "Mormon" is just as bad as the N-word, and because of that he knows exactly how it feels when others use that particular slur against them.

Then the NAACP will explain how they don't have a "Book of [N-word]," they never produced a movie called "Meet the [N-word]s," and they absolutely did not spend millions of dollars from member donations on an "I'm a [N-word]" ad campaign.

What Nelson *won't* mention is that when he was a practicing heart surgeon, his hospital segregated its blood supply so that white and delightsome Utah Mormons wouldn't be tainted with even one drop of CainBlood™. No way he wasn't aware of that.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2104379

Date: July 18, 2019 09:35PM

I hope someone from the NAACP has or asked Russ if he categorically disowns / repudiates what BY & successors said; is Russ willing to do that publicly?

Nothing Less should suffice. period.

Date: July 18, 2019 09:48PM

N'ah. If pressed on this issue, Rusty will explain, or have it explained, that for whatever reason, 1978 was when ghawd affirmed to them, via revelation, that the time had come to extend the blessings of the priesthood to all males.

I just hope no one there asks him for a time-table on when women are going to get these same blessings.

The segregation of blood... that was a weird one. A, B, AB, and O, along with the Rh factor... Pretty simple stuff! Oh, yeah, Latin American blood had the J factor, jalapeño...

Date: July 18, 2019 10:21PM

Either Russ unequivocally repudiates the past or is stands.

Can't let the Mormons have it both ways.

Date: July 18, 2019 10:26PM

> Can't let the Mormons
> have it both ways.

They never ask for our permission!

They're just following orders, and it will all be explained ... later.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 06:50AM

Is he going to disavow the Book of Mormon to them as well?

2 Nephi 5:21
Jacob 3:8
Alma 3:6
3 Nephi 2:15

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 12:20PM

Does this mean Rusty is okay with his grandchildren marrying people of other races? I doubt his calling for greater civility would go quite that far.

Date: July 21, 2019 12:50PM

Remember, ChurchCo always comes FIRST; if that means confusing others between 'doctrine' & social norms, … So What?

If Russ spends enough time in/around King County (Seattle) WA, someone might tell him that Asians are our largest % minority....
Perhaps a g.child hooking with an Asian partner might be OK with Russell...Who Knows?

M.soft & Amazon attract thousand's of foreigners from other cultures to the seattle area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2019 01:32PM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 02:04PM

I'm at a loss as to why the NAACP would even consider partnering with an organization that is so pervasively lily white in the top leadership. My Facebook friends list has more diversity than you have in the Q15 and Q70 combined.

Date: July 21, 2019 04:08PM

William of Occam says that money is moving from los mormones to one or another bank account maintained by the NAACP. That's how the NAACP knows that the mormons are sincere.

Date: July 21, 2019 04:11PM

I'll call NAACP HQ tomorrow morning & give them the inside on this matter...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 07:31PM

Well the Earl of Murphy says you can damn well bank on it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 08:07PM

First off let me explain I am not an apologist. However history is fascinating to me.
That being said I was 42 years old in 1978 when this proclomation was made. It was extremely contraversial. However, for what ever reason, it was the right thing to do at that time.
For centuries the negro population had been debased and demeaned. It is my personal belief that skin pigmentation should never be a criteria for social position.
So if in 1978 the correct step was taken we should endorse the action and not condem the reasoning behind it.
Why doesn't really matter. In this instance WHAT is the important thing.
Now I realize that somebody is going to jump up on my shoulderes and do a tap dance on my brain for this position. But I will still believe it to be true.

Date: July 21, 2019 08:30PM

right/wrong have long been AWOL in Morland; are U suggesting that the GAs have turned over a new leaf?

Pass or share your rose-colored glasses, friend.

Everything they do has A REASON, in this case Starting with the prohibitions (incl females from going to the temple alongside the PH ban).

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 09:20AM

I think the reason here is that the newer members in Africa are finding out about the priesthood and temple ban.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 08:44PM

Since the only place on the planet where the church can still sell itself is Africa, the church figures if it gets in good with the NAACP leadership it can point to it's success with blacks in Africa in hopes of selling the church to blacks here in the US.

Having been a missionary who served in black neighborhoods all I can say is it's laughable. Black Americans have their own culture they are proud of. The Mormons have nothing to do with it. The Mormon church founders and early leadership thought dark skin was a curse and such people were not worthy of the priesthood.

On top of that who would trade the wonderful upbeat church meetings and music of black church's for the skull numbingly boring LDS services?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 08:47PM

Lifting the priesthood ban was a step in the right direction. Once again I say I don't care why!!! It was a step along the correct path.
whatever spin the powers that be choose to put on it now is not going to change that the door was opened for men of all races to hold this position.
I believe that there is still a long way to go in reaching equality. I don't believe that it will happen overnight.
I believe that in racial segregation great damage was done.
So let's see how the spin is applied!

Date: July 21, 2019 09:49PM

ChurchCo ONLY thinks about furthering itself, as in Whichever Way the wind is blowing, that apparently started with Joey, is the same today. Got a serious, legitimate problem with ChurchCo? your SP is (almost) guaranteed to be the last one to hear about it/speak to it (IF he does, that is).

Who does ChurchCo prop up as the Ultimate decider of Right/Wrong?

God/Jesus/Joe Smith & his successors, Elohim, Jehovah, I Am that I Am.

who is the ONLY person allowed to speak for the above? RMNelson of SLC, Utah.

That's the context here folks, ChurchCo is the 'Top Of The Heap', the Big Kahuna, The ONLY trustworthy org on the face of the Earth.

There's No Spinning to be done on that 'factoid'.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 10:14PM

Even people who do terrible things can be forgiven. But there is a catch. Repentance requires that the wrong-doer recognize that they did something wrong. They need to feel genuine sorrow for displeasing the lord. They need to confess their wrong-doing to both god and anyone who they offended. They need to ask for forgiveness, make restitution and lastly, forsake their sin (six steps here). Anyone who went on a mission here recognize these steps? Theoretically, a person can't join the church until they've exercised these steps.

The mormon church goes right from recognizing their wrong doing (the racist docterine of denying blacks the priesthood until 1978), and went right to forsaking that action. That's all fine and good. But these self-righteous assholes skipped most of those steps. They won't practice what they preach. They owe the world a big apology and most specifically, they owe everyone with black skin an apology. Until they do those other four steps in-between, the mormon church is just a cult.

Brigham Young was a racist and he said and wrote things to prove it. He taught racism as docterine. The mormon church has to recon with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2019 10:16PM by azsteve.

Date: July 21, 2019 10:28PM

Spot On, steve.

It would be a Rare Bird if ChurchCo applies what it teaches to itself.

Posted by: Smithwasracist ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 04:56AM

Also Joseph Smith was a racist. He wrote the Book of Mormon including this:
"And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, . . . who were just and holy men . . . and the Lord God set a mark upon them, yea, upon Laman and Lemuel, and also the sons of Ishmael, and Ishmaelitish women.

And this was done that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren, that thereby the Lord God might preserve his people, that they might not mix and believe in incorrect traditions"

Joseph Smith believed in the curse of Cain and curse of Ham and referred to the curse as a justification for slavery.
At the end of his life Joseph started to oppose slavery but did believe in segregation:"Had I anything to do with the negro, I would confine them by strict law to their own species and put them on a national equalization." (Joseph Smith)

As mayor of Nauvoo, Joseph Smith prohibited blacks from holding office, joining the Nauvoo Legion, voting or marrying whites.

I hate when Joseph Smith is made pure and holy and all the blame is put on Brigham Young alon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.