Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 12:10AM

https://soundcloud.com/mormonland/mormon-land-90-mixdown

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 11:11AM

One way to test this would be to keep using the word Mormon in front of members. I’m sure they will start correcting us if this message has been seared into their brains as important.
But I don’t see how they will escape the nickname. There are enough people who dislike or who are indifferent to the religion to keep using it. I suspect members will be obedient and stop using the term. It would be tempting to wind them up and keep using the term, but that’s a different point.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 11:17AM

lj12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One way to test this would be to keep using the
> word Mormon in front of members.

The bold ones correct me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 11:23AM

on KSL yesterday--Dave and Dujanovic (spelling and I'm not going to look it up) stated that she is not a member of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints and not mormon. I guess working for KSL . . .

I still hear mormon more than anything and I use the term mormon in front of everyone I talk to and even my friends and aunt who I e-mail. They haven't corrected me yet and neither has my daughter. I note that many who do give the long version like Dujanovic act irritated as they say it--like WHY?

I think it will go away. Nelson is what, 94, now or soon. WE can only hope.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 01:58PM

NO WAY!!! NO HOW!!! NO WHERE!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 02:09PM

I don't think the name is going anywhere despite what pea brain Nelson wants.

There's two places in California where the name is going to live on. One is geological rock formation called Mormon Rocks and the other is railroad yard in Stockton; Mormon yard. I don't think the Burlington Northern Santa Fe is going to rename it just because Nelson finds it annoying.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 03:10PM

There's a small town, east about 15 miles from Sedona Arizona, named Mormon Lake. The Forest Service sponsors a Hot Shot fire crew named accordingly.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 03:46AM

There's also a virtual ghost town in Mariposa County, California, a couple of miles from the county seat of Mariposa, known as Mormon Bar (maybe originally "Mormon's Bar"). It's not exactly a tourist hot spot, but signs and maps still bear the name. I don't think it will change anytime soon, either.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 03:02PM

ack in the mid-80's, while serving a mission in England, our MP (brother of a GA) told us to stop using the term "Mormon" in a mission wide conference.

When we were allowed to ask questions during a question and answer segment, I piped up and said, "Well uh President, um, so we are not to use the word Mormon anymore and I get that..no problem whatever Jesus wants. However, when we try to commit an investigator in read the Book of Mormon, and I am sorry for using that term President, um, do I just like tape over or mark out the word Mormon on the book? Should I just call it "The Book of So and So" for awhile...I guess I am confused?"

The roar of laughter was quickly stifled by the MP pointing his wrinkly finger at me and saying, "Do not trifle or use sacred things in your humor Elder..the Lord is not pleased."

He didn't answer my question either. Probably because he didn't know what to say.

It really was an honest question AND the current counsel by our beloved Prophet Russell M. Nelson, should address how to refer to the Book of Blankety Blank.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 04:55PM

"The Lord is also not pleased when you don't answer a serious question. Is it still the Book of Mormon?

While you have Jesus on the line, ask him what term we use for 'Mormonism'."

That could have gotten you a ticket home. :)

Date: July 18, 2019 05:03PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 12:44AM

We all know better than to upset Mr Bigglesworth. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iD-j4eIjQ5c

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 04:30PM

Alas Mormon Lake is emulating its namesake by drying up and all but disappearing.

Last time I was there you could walk from shore to shore and barely muddy your shoes.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 04:41PM

They can try to scrub "Mormon" out of the names of things, like the choir and websites, yada yada yada, but in the large they don't own "Mormon." As has been noted above, it's in the proper names of places, in the name of the most correct[ed] book, etc.

In fact, TCOJCOLDS is just one tranch of an overarching people group that cling to the BOM[ormon]. So, if anyone ever "corrects" you, it's reasonable to point out that you're referring to all people who hold the BOM[ormon] sacred. If they look at you funny, ask them if they're saying that the FLDS are TCOJCOLDS. When smoke comes out their ears because they don't know how to respond, then repeat that you're talking about "all Mormons," and make an overarching umbrella gesture. And, FWIW, by that definition they are Mormons too.

Crusty may literally own TCOJCOLDS, but he does not own all things "Mormon." Perhaps that's the problem.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 05:15PM

Just like Hitler stopped the Normandy Invasion

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 06:00PM

They talked for a while about how it was aimed at young members so they would feel more Christian and less, I don't remember...odd? separate?

That Rusty, he's all about retention.

Date: July 24, 2019 12:19PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Rusty, he's all about retention.

Rusty retention. It sounds so anal.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 07:52PM

When Rusty is in the ground it wouldn't surprise me at all if the church threw him under the bus and brought back the Mormon Tabernacle Choir name, etc.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 02:33AM

I'm amazed he went as far as to change the name of the Tabernacle Choir. That's pretty serious business.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 03:50AM

I suspect he changed the MoTab's name primarily as a show of power, to let everyone know that he COULD.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 04:59AM

That’s a good point. Look what I did! The whole thing is so stupid.

Date: July 19, 2019 05:49AM

Why isn't Christ mentioned in the choir's name if Jesus was overly offended with the name Mormon?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 12:04PM

Good point, messygoop. The Motab should be called The Tabernacle Choir of JESUS CHRIST at Temple Square.

I like your story, Ted! I have asked that question to several Mormons, in all sincerity. They look at me like I'm crazy, and say, "We still call it The Book of Mormon, of course."

I use that foul M-word every chance I get, and I have been corrected by the Mormons, but not by the non-Mormons. I resigned many years ago, and no one knows I read RFM. I just feign innocence, and say, "I'm not a Mormon, so how should I keep up on the Mormon rules?"

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 04:36PM

Lots of other Mormon place names around the US.

Mormon Coulee, in La Crosse, WI. From when members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were sent up the Black River in Wisconsin in the 1840s to procure lumber for the Nauvoo Temple. (Coulee is another word for creek)
https://lacrossetribune.com/special-section/askthetrib/ask-the-tribune-mormons-settled-in-la-crosse-in/article_154798b7-b600-5768-9752-184a3c1d3dae.html

Mormon Tavern, El Dorado Hills, CA.
Sadly, this was demolished to widen US 50 into a freeway...
https://noehill.com/eldorado/cal0699.asp
https://www.mtdemocrat.com/uncategorized/mormon-tavern/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Tavern,_California
El Dorado Hills is a few miles down the stagecoach route over the Sierra from Colma, where early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints publicized the discovery of gold in 1848.
"
In 1848 or 1849, the Mormon Tavern, offering rough hospitality for gold seekers, was built by a Mormon named Morgan"
https://www.edhhistory.org/clarksville-history.html

Nearby are also

Mormon Island
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Island,_California
https://goo.gl/maps/ss6Q2oGLqpQGtJLGA

Mormon Island Cemetery
https://goo.gl/maps/ThJJ89654FHfzqnYA

And Nevada's Mormon Mountains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Mountains

I'm sure there are plenty more.

The other night I was talking to a neighbor, a somewhat reluctant lifetime member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I mentioned to him, "Now, you're a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, right? Have you ever..."

To which he replied "No, I'm a Mormon, and I have never..."

So, just another way it can backfire. Adherents who are unhappy with the church's current leadership direction can call themselves "Mormons" instead...

RG

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 02:11PM

In Sevier County Utah there is Mormon Mountain and Mormon Peak.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 09:19PM

Nothing is more quickly forgotten than a modern mormon prophet. Look how quickly the membership forgot Thomas S Monson. That was a guy who had a high profile in the church for a half century. He had a more likable personality than most church authorities. That being said, Thomas S. Monson dies and this heart surgeon nobody really cared for became prophet and all a sudden the members are going nuts over him.

The thing is this is a form of idol worship. It's worshiping an office and you can stuff anybody into it and the members go crazy over them. The thing is, it's like fame. As soon as you are gone they are worshiping your replacement.

The whole eradication of Mormon attempt will die with Nelson. This was tried in the 80's but not at such an extreme level. When Russ is gone it's the new guy. Whoever that is. They will have their own pet projects or maybe they will be so old and feeble they just sit in a wheelchair and drool. Who knows. Right now it's Rusty madness.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 12:33PM

Spot On.

the way ChurchCo manages / manipulates public opinions is a classic example of groupthink. It's truly amazing in its effectiveness as it steers focus away from the substance of most any matter under discussion (discussion of substance is heavily discouraged!)

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 12:41PM by GNPE.

Date: July 25, 2019 11:00AM

Mormons are loyal to the organization. One reason organizations like to hire them. Mormons are lemmings.

Russell M Nelson really means nothing to the congregation. It's the organization and the office he holds in it. The man himself means nothing and is quite disposable.

Russ won't even be in the ground yet and the members will be fixated on his replacement and excited about what he's going to do.

You will only hear about Russell M Nelson again in the occasional quote published in a church lesson manual. How much does the church talk about Gordon B Hinckley? That man ran the church at the latter part of the Kimball years and was a major player through the Benson and Hunter years. Then he was prophet for almost a decade. Hinckley is even forgotten even though he built the conference center and a tree from his property was used to make the puppet general conference talks are spewed from.

Date: July 25, 2019 11:07AM

Rusty wants to break from Mormonism's past because and he thinks he can mainstream it and become buddies with the pope and the baptists. Haha! Gordon B Hinckley tried to do that to a certain extent but he was too proud of his Mormon pioneer heritage.

If Russ had his way he would close down all the church historical sites. I think this is why he's gotten rid of the pageants. Russ wants a mainstream Christian church but he would have to nix the temples and what goes on in them to go mainstream. Good luck there.

Date: July 25, 2019 11:27AM

The lighted pen is mightier to the bored.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 23, 2019 09:15PM

I noticed in today's news that Southeast Idaho towns are currently enduring a "swarm" of MORMON Crickets. This was reported on church owned KSL TV.
In deference to Russ & Wendy shouldn't the crickets properly be called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Crickets? Or at least Latter-day Saint Crickets.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 03:10AM

Years ago, near Vernal area somewhere or other, we drove over and heard the disgusting continual crunching sound of "Mormon crickets" meeting their doom.

It seemed to go on forever, many, many miles at least, but who knows how long in actuality it was because it was such a horrific sound even heard with car windows rolled up.

Why didn't we drown it out with loud music? Hell, I don't know. Guess we weren't that smart.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 12:34PM

too bad there wasn't a bounty for them!

Date: July 24, 2019 01:16PM

I think the Ute Indians would eat them this time of year?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 01:42PM

I'm always gonna call 'em Mormons...especially if it pisses them off...

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 02:03PM

If you have to call a man a woman if he says so then you have to call mormons "adherents of the faith of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints" if they say so.

Date: July 24, 2019 02:40PM

Not so. Apples and oranges. Gender isn't something you consciously choose. Because one identifies with Jewish peoples doesn't make them Jewish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 04:02PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 02:52PM

Iowa City is home to a major thoroughfare called Mormon Trek Blvd (marking the arduous 1,300 mile journey that began there).

At one end is a sculpture by Knaphus that mirrors the one in SLC's Temple Square. The Iowa version is located near a Marriott hotel (but closer to a great bar, Vesta). As the boulevard continues along, near a university sports field, is the Mormon Handcart Park with informational signs, a walking trail, a viewing point and occasional visiting Mormons.

I predict the names will always remain.

Cue the song from the Broadway musical..."The Book of Mor-mon."

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 07:57PM

How come no one listed the Mormon Trail, now called the Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Trail

The other major historical Mormon item was the Mormon Battalion,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Battalion

Looks like someone did some editing changing a Mormon reference to the Russell approve full name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 08:19PM by tumwater.

Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 01:01AM

Met an elderly lady with a missionary looking black name tag in the Chicago airport at the gate. It had text written in a different language. I asked her what her name tag was for and she told me she was on a humanitarian mission for her church. She said she was from Texas. I asked her if she was from a Christian church. She said, I am from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I responded, really? I used to be a mormon. Later, her husband showed up and I used the opportunity to "mormon name drop" all the people whom had made it into the hierarchy (apostles, Q70, etc...) that I knew from the old days of being a mormon. He didn't seem to mind saying the word mormon but she was not too happy about me referring to it. At one point she whispered in his ear to correct him. I really hate it when mormons do that.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 04:34AM

Mormon Prophet Russell Nelson,

Me thinks you did not think too long and hard nor study too long and hard nor TALK TO GOD or JESUS at all about this here "Mormon" revelation, or doctrine change, or however you want to describe it.

I can recall in my lifetime being asked multiple times if I live near the Mormon Temple, if I live in Mormon Salt Lake City, if I am a Mormon, how did Mormon Brigham Young manage his 50 plus Mormon wives, why is it considered a sin for Mormons to drink tea, why is it considered a sin for Mormons to drink coffee??? and on and on it goes.

Just keep trying, Rusty, to erase.....

Mormon pioneers
Book of Mormon
Joseph Smith, the Mormon founder
Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet
Joseph Smith, the Mormon conman
The Mormon Missionaries
Brigham Young, the Mormon leader who lead the saints to Zion
The Mormon Battalion
The Mormon seagulls who saved the Mormon crops
The famous Mormon Liquor Laws
Ex-Mormons
Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Mormon temple garments
Etc, Etc, Etc.......

These are all still around. They haven't disappeared with your silly utterings equating the word Mormon with the Devil, nor do I believe they ever will.

Rusty, the Current Mormon President, if you really have been in touch with the heavens (you know the Lord or Jesus Christ), why oh why would you not have been stopped from making such an utter buffoon of yourself by equating the use of "Mormon" with the Devil? Seems at least one of your two heavenly friends would have come to your rescue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2019 04:36AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 06:09AM

As I said on another thread, I think renaming the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was a bad move in commercial terms. You need brand name recognition, and the LDS will know the change but non-members won't, including people who occasionally buy MoTab tickets or records. It seems like an eon since they came to my neck of the woods and I doubt many people would recognize the new name.

Date: July 25, 2019 11:30AM

Rusty probably isn't a music fan.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 12:51PM

Even if you're not into classical music, you're probably familiar with "The Boston Symphony Orchestra" (BSO) and "the Boston Pops" The difference is, Pops is the BSO, minus the permanent conductor, the concertmaster, and the first chairs. So with the Pops you get a different conductor, concertmaster (1st Violin, 1st chair) gone. The 2d (chair)Oboe now becomes, 1st, 2nd (chair) trumpet is now 1st, and so on.

Problem: Pops is so popular, it overlaps with the BSO's summer program in Tanglewood (western Mass). Now how can the orchestra be in two places at once? With the creation of "the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra," an ensemble of symphony-grade pickup players, conservatory professors, and so on.But most of the people who attend a Pops concert don't realize they're listening to a pick-up orchestra.

You'll get similar confusion with "Tabernacle Choir." People won't realize they're doing the same thing. They'll browes Barnes & Noble and scroll down Amazon, wondering, "What's this 'Tabernacle Choir At Temple Square,' some back-up group? A college choir? Was the Tabernacle Choir disbanded? I was looking for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir."

They'll be confused like the BSO/Pops misidentification.

(Incidentally, when you buy a "Pops" album, you do get the real Boston Pops.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2019 01:04PM by caffiend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.