Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 09:55AM

The fruits of religion ...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/17/woman-shoves-priest-off-stage-saying-fat-women-dont-go-heaven-10379034/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 10:05AM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 10:42AM

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 10:48AM

But they make the rockin' world go 'round.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 11:29AM

I'm certain that any ghawd believed in by women of a certain weight is expected to provide perfect bodies at the resurrection.

I wonder if Amyjo can let us know of the body morphology of the spirits who have visited her...?

Have there ever been reports of visitors to heaven who reported back on this issue?

Finally, there is a big difference between ”Fat chicks don't go to heaven” and ”There are no fat chicks in heaven.”

There are probably billions of interpretations of heaven’s rules and regulations, but everyone agrees that ouija boards are unnecessary.

Date: July 18, 2019 11:32AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are probably billions of interpretations of
> heaven’s rules and regulations, but everyone
> agrees that ouija boards are unnecessary.

You have a better more scientific way? Perchance a rock in a hat? A divination stick?

Date: July 18, 2019 11:43AM

Ask Jesus! At most, he's only a phone call away.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 12:23PM

Rusty has him on speed dial.

Date: July 18, 2019 03:13PM

And a lighted pen.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 09:52PM

They didn't come with weight scales.

My great grandmother was dressed in pioneer clothing. Like she might've worn when she was alive. Was she therefore a spirit, or a ghost? That kind of begs the question. I've wondered if she was a time traveler. Physicists say it is possible to travel into the future, just not into the past. So if she was coming into the future to visit me, that might explain her dress. Not that she would know anything about time travel. It may have been beyond her knowledge or power to control. She may have been sent to the future in a parallel dimension. Albert Einstein believed in that possibility ie, parallel dimensions.

Fat is a human construct. Thin is healthy. Fat is not. Just not too thin. A heavenly being is not going to need fat or a physical body. They transcend time and space. We cannot. We have to die first to shed our bodies before we can do that if we are able to when we leave this life for the next.

I don't believe all people will go to heaven. Some people truly are evil. It says in Psalms 'for those who are evil will be destroyed.' (37:9) I believe that's what happens to truly evil people. That's why there doesn't need to be a hell for them when they die. It isn't necessary. Hell is a construct for sinners made by Christians. Take Hitler for example. He was so evil that the only place for him is eternal cosmic dust in a cosmic Black Hole. If that's "hell" so be it. But it isn't the fire and brimstone kind. It is justice of the eternal kind. At least that's how I interpret the scriptures, and why I reject mainstream Christianity and Mormonism both. What, Hitler's been dead dunked how many times in Mormonism? Right alongside of Anne Frank. That's flipping schizophrenic!

Date: July 18, 2019 10:04PM

So you theorize that the human soul can be destroyed? Blasted into cosmic dust, so that Hitler is a cosmic dust bunny?

But if means exist to destroy the human soul, We are all at risk, for eternity!!

I want a soul destroyer, too! And I want CSDP, (concealed soul destroyer permit) or else I can't defend myself against someone packing an S&W Soul Destroyer, with a 15 bullet magazine!

Thus the phrase, 'the soul is eternal' is a lie! Damn it!!

Date: July 18, 2019 10:38PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you theorize that the human soul can be
> destroyed? Blasted into cosmic dust, so that
> Hitler is a cosmic dust bunny?

I sure as hell hope so.

>
> But if means exist to destroy the human soul, We
> are all at risk, for eternity!!

Heaven is not for ninnies.
>
> I want a soul destroyer, too! And I want CSDP,
> (concealed soul destroyer permit) or else I can't
> defend myself against someone packing an S&W Soul
> Destroyer, with a 15 bullet magazine!

We were taught we survived the War in Heaven before we came to earth ... I've been confused ever since whether that was peculiarly a Mormon teaching, a Christian teaching, or a biblical one. It is so Star Warsy that who knows? Maybe we'll be battling good v. evil after we're dead. I was kind of hoping for a reprieve.
>
> Thus the phrase, 'the soul is eternal' is a lie!
> Damn it!!

My favorite and most brilliant rabbi ever gave a sermon on why the soul is not eternal when evil outweighs the good in a person. And why we are not justified to pardon evil or forgive it, or make allowance for it. Only God can do that. But that someone as evil as Adolf Hitler cannot exist in the afterlife. There is no eternal torment dark or deep enough for his soul to languish. God destroys evil and the essence of it before he would allow it to exist eternally. Hell doesn't exist in Jewish belief. Not like it does in Christian theology. There is no room for pure evil to exist in the afterlife. Hitler's soul would not be pardoned, redeemed or forgiven, in other words. His soul has already been extinguished according to my rabbi's understanding, belief, and interpretation of the Torah.

Date: July 18, 2019 11:16PM

> There is no room for pure
> evil to exist in the after-
> life. Hitler's soul would
> not be pardoned, redeemed
> or forgiven, in other words.
> His soul has already been
> extinguished according to
> my rabbi's understanding,
> belief, and interpretation
> of the Torah.

Because there is no 'unity' in Judaism, what with all its schisms, your Rabbi's concepts are just as valid as any other Jew's thoughts on the subject.

But at any rate, there does seem to be a definite thread in Jewish beliefs that a person, a soul, can be destroyed. One would assume that such destruction is judged appropriate. The keyword being 'judged'. Naturally, Hitler and the quorum he lead is a no-brainer.

But it still means that someone, even if it's restricted to ghawd, is running around the hereafter with a Soul Destroyer. How human-centric is that! Why would a really hip ghawd care?

Date: July 19, 2019 07:34AM

Expunged works. Hitler was expunged upon contact with the ethereal world. There was no place for him at the table. Same works for Charles Manson and others of their ilk.

Rabbi Friedman sums it up nicely: (When he says in his address there is nothing to salvage of Hitler's soul.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzkl19syWI

Date: July 19, 2019 10:13AM

"Heaven is not for ninnies."

Now I have that song in my mind - "Ninnies from Heaven."

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 10:17PM

Since you asked and it appears to be of interest.

Spirits can appear anyway they want and 'normally' do not appear 'human' in the after life among other spirits. However, to be recognized by us 'humans' they appear 'similar to what they looked like' in life so you can recognize them.

Mediums and to a minor degree personal experience says yes they do appear to look 'fairly good' (less wrinkles, thin, etc.) but not 'extremely different' of course unless they want to make a point. I have actually had at least one 'make a point' based on 'human' expectations.

For example, some people (mainly Christians) in NDEs say they see someone that looks like 'Jesus' come up to them but they don't introduce themselves normally as 'Jesus' these people just 'know'. They/Spirit guides do that to comfort 'believers' ------ no they are not normally if ever 'Jesus'. No one but 'LDS/JS' really know what Jesus looks like anyway ---- right????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 10:19PM by spiritist.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 11:57AM

I can't stop laughing.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 12:04PM

I had to say that one. Back when I worked with my boyfriend when I was 20, he gave me a Valentine that said something about not going to heaven and he wrote, "Maybe that won't be the reason."

I have a lot of reasons I'm not going to heaven and one is being fat. Another good reason to stay overweight.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 06:51PM

Even if being fat were in any way a reason for denying access to heaven, why in the world would the restriction apply solely to women?

Date: July 18, 2019 09:27PM

not going to heaven.

And see how much mileage that would've gotten him.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 10:55PM

Maybe they don't go to heaven, but I've been told they sometimes bring heaven to earth.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 12:44PM

When I was a member, up until 15 years ago, the Mormons taught that each person's body would become "perfected" upon resurrection. (I wonder why Jesus still had scars on his hands.) My stake president brother used to say that he couldn't wait to get to heaven and be reunited with his late wife--and have her healthy and whole, perfected and YOUNG. He would laugh, and say that he expected to have other young perfected wives, in addition. "Perfect" is not fat. We were taught that everyone would have bodies like unto a 21-year-old, in the prime of life. My ski buddies in the BYU-produced temple movie were all 21, handsome, athletic, and blonde. (IRL, they were no angels!)

As my GA relative used to tell us kids, "No one has ever gone to heaven and reported back. We simply do not know these things."

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 04:12PM

Well, they're much less likely to get to the Mormon heaven. Here's why:

1) Mormon boys like their ladies thin.

2) There seem to always be more ladies than men in the Mormon singles congregations.

3) I recall hearing the fallout, 20 years ago, when a bishop in a BYU "older" singles ward was frank and told the ladies that a fair percentage of them just weren't going to get married. On account of points 1 and 2.

4) To get into heaven, ladies need to have been married to a priesthood holding dude.

5) Not enough dudes, dudes don't like fat ladies, fat ladies aren't going to get to heaven.

Pretty simple logic.

RG

Posted by: anon 3 ( )
Date: July 29, 2019 10:22PM

hilarious. Did you get the one about why people become gay?

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2019 11:12PM

There's a man in central CA whose hip measurement would have to be somewhere between 66 and 72 inches. He's been a stake president, a mission president, and a temple president. If being overweight were going to keep anyone out of heaven, he would surely be high on the list, but the word on the street is that he and his wife have their "Go Directly to the CK" cards.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 12:35PM

So, secular folks never do fat shaming?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 07:37PM

Well, religion supposedly teaches compassion. Or something. There but for the grace of God go I. Etc

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 11:20PM

I just want to know if secular people shove fat-shamers off podiums. I would hope so!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 02:19PM

I'd heard of the "Flying Nun" but THIS . . .

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 11:42PM

What is "fat"?

If there is a heaven, I suspect there will be a lot of "fat" women and men there.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 10:57PM

Seems that there is less to this than meets the eye.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/priest-pushed-off-brazil-stage/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.