Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoWayJosé ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 02:13PM

Well. Things do not last forever. Started a new life at a new place, have been very discreet with personal information, it lasted about six months and they have now found me. Have not shared information with more than two people with the same agenda as me and I know that they have not said anything to anyone. But today I learned that "they" know what I am doing and what kind of new career I am into. It feels liks a hit in the solar plexus. My guess is that a couple of influential people have used their resources to find me.

I am afraid they will start sabotaging my new life.

Anyone else ever experienced the same thing? Feels like living in a dictatorship when they snoop for informtion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 02:23PM

Well if you’re in Utah ? it’s gonna be difficult to hide. But otherwise, all you have to do is write to the church at headquarters and/or locally and say I’d they contact you then you will take legal action for harassment. I did that and it worked like a charm. Seriously, the Morg corporation hate any threat of legal action, they’re scared of publicity etc. And I didn’t have to move.
But I’m guessing this is in a place where morgbots are in the community and could jeopardise your life covertly? I’m sorry if that’s the case because I know how difficult and expensive relocating is. If it were me I’d aim to move again to a place where this won’t happen. I just don’t see how that can be totally avoided if it’s in a place with a good sized mormon population. You know what they’re like. Ugh.
But otherwise, just see your attorney, or pretend you’ve seen an attorney (that’s what I did). Hakuna matata.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 04:13PM

resignations for free at the time they made the policy about children of gays not being able to be baptized, etc. Someone on the board I'm sure can tell you who this is or at least tell you how to resign. It was very easy to resign.

They still bug me even if I've resigned, but I still live in the same house when I was active mormon. I've lived here 33 years and I went inactive 25 years ago.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 04:30PM

They usually leave you alone if you send in a letter of resignation. It's easy to do and worth the trouble.

If they bother you after that, you can file a police report or spray them with the garden hose.

Posted by: NoOne of Consequence ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 04:37PM

Have you tried the Quit Mormon site? I used it, got my name taken off the rolls (after almost 20 years of admittedly casual attempts) and haven't been bothered since.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 05:03PM

Most people can be found if someone is determined to find them through records such as home ownership, utility bills, etc. The Mormon church maintains an extensive list of ways to find members, and the church uses volunteers and/or missionaries to track down members. You would be shocked at the lengths the church will sometimes go in order to find you!

This church website will give you an idea:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Locating_members

The best thing to do is to resign your membership. While this is not a guarantee that the church members will stop trying to track you down, it greatly increases your chances of being left alone. It also gives you legal standing if the church keeps harassing you.

Complete directions for how to resign can be found via the link below. You can do it via email if you wish. It is necessary to resign through the Member Records department in SLC, because if you only send it to the local bishop, he may not follow through with it.

https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.