Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 11:44PM

Must men wear the proverbial white shirt, tie and suit, only to shove said clothing in a small locker erasing all signs of being wrinkle free?

Do women ever appear at the temple door in dress slacks or would said temple door fail to open? Is there an earring check to weed out any uncompliant ears?

These important questions came to mind after seeing a very young couple dressed in Sunday-best heading for a Saturday temple-date...yes, that is what I said, a young couple heading to the temple for a Saturday date.

Ho Hum

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 01:03AM

I dunno, but pray that you come out with as many clothes as you go in with. I had my sweater and purse stolen out of the Provo temple--someone broke into all the lockers.

A choice bit of irony is that on my wedding day, I wore a special new bride's "going-away suit" into the temple, but walked out of there barefoot! My new shoes had been stolen.

Wear old clothes, that you don't care about. No purse or wallet.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 03:19AM

Be Sure not to report any thefts to the police, that would be a Black Eye on ChurchCo (as if anyone cares other than the victims)

Why, the police might dispatch a non recommend holder to the scene, how would s/he investigate the crime???

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 10:13AM

if you work retail or go shopping on Saturdays in Utah. They are the ones in suits and dresses. They are actually usually older couples. They let us all know they are holy.

My daughter who has only been married a few months goes to the temple often on Saturday nights. I'm not sure if it is every week, but I wouldn't be surprised. I only hear about it if there is a reason I try to get hold of her. I can't think of anything less romantic than going to the temple.

"I'm here to pretend I'm enjoying this!!"

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 02:24PM

Having been in the cult for 4 decades, I would say that there are a myriad of reasons why someone would go to the temple on a weekend night - where their Gentile counterparts are out having fun, bar hopping, poker, movies, athletic events - you name it EVERYTHING BEAT THE BORING TEMPLE (i.e. even sock drawer reorganization).

Here are few reasons I can think of:
1) TBM Mormons get an endorphin rush that lasts a few days by doing things that are over the top obedient.

2) The experience gives them fodder for their Sunday lessons and talks (i.e. "I was at the temple last evening, and blah blah blah.")

3) One-up-man-ship, especially for type A competitive Mormons, who want to be promoted.

4) For a single folks, it could very well be an excuse for not having other social experience (i.e. boy/girl friend relationships). Sort of an avoidance pattern.

Let's face it, Mormonism is mind****!.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 11:47AM

The life of a TBM guarantees death from boredom and brain

atrophy.

Sad.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 12:00PM

Too bad they don't allow snogging in the temple. That might grow the numbers better than keeping men and women on separate sides of the room.

Date: July 21, 2019 12:41PM

what (in the world) is 'snogging'?

GASP! not another semi-suggestive term for f**king, shagging, making love, 'doing the nasty' etc. etc. … I hope.

Date: July 21, 2019 01:39PM

OMG! Only in the Celestial Room (when no one else is looking!)

Date: July 21, 2019 01:39PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 07:35PM

How about a transparent bikini for the ladies?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 08:55PM

Great Idea, except not appropriate!!

simple nudity is a lot less sexy / provocative!!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 08:54PM

Haha! What a great date. You can't even sit next to each other. The movie is boring and even though you get to dress up in weird clothes and do weird things, it ain't as fun as the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Date: July 22, 2019 12:36AM

Very fun, creative and interesting comments.

My thoughts have returned to this beautiful, young, naive couple several times today, wondering and wishing I knew their thoughts and mind as they sat through their temple session, most likely because I myself found the temple so weird and so threatening.

I only attended a measly few times after my initial first thrust into this 'supposedly MOST wonderful thing in my life". (OMG, what oh what, DID I JUST SIT THRU?)

My thoughts since last night have also been about how I detest the church for abusing the trust and "youth" whom they groom.....and yes, I will use that word and scream it strong and loud!....GROOM to do their bidding, right and left, up and down, and far and wide.

IT IS SO WRONG! SO UGLY! and, nothing, but DETESTABLE!

LDS Church....your actions with the youth, of grabbing them by the necks before they are even out of diapers, and utterly choking them continually in a abusive manner that they must only think, look, read, experience, and see things of this world in ONE WAY - your way. Are you so afraid that if you teach them critical thinking. to study and consider both sides of an issue, that they will not choose the LDS Church as the one true church?

WOW! LDS Church...oh ye of little faith. These actions you display show that you do not possess absolute, positive truth that your words and church are the only true words and true church on this earth. Plus, these actions prove that you are nothing but a fraud....a fraud that is "even" willing - no one that does not care - if they deceive and behave fraudulently towards the little children that Jesus so lovingly beckoned to come unto him. (You know that Jesus whom you now unceasingly declare that you follow and whose namesake MUST be part of your official church title to the world).

And, just in case you do do know, Jesus had a warning for those who acted in such a horrible, horrible way. You can find this warning in the New Testament if you should care.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2019 12:49AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 02:26AM

My hideous TBM brother-in-law and his wife would drive to LA, with some other couples in the ward, and go to the temple, dinner, and a show, then spend the night in a fancy hotel. The women had their own temple clothes, and they were not the standard sack-cloth, like the rentals. The women would get their hair done, and a mani-pedi, for the excursion. The temple matrons complained about the long, brightly-colored fake nails that some of the women had, so the women had more neutral colors, but kept the long fake hails. They wore heavy makeup, eyeliner, and "smoky-eye" shadow. They would dress up like brides. The couples can't sit next to each other. That's no date night, but it is a sex night!

The men would get aroused! The wives thought it was their hairdos and long tight brides' dresses, and the fact that they were dressed up like when they were younger, and they were re-living their wedding night, when they were virgins (yeah, right). The truth was, that "Eve" in the movie turned the men on! Add to that, all the touching and feeling and whispering and disrobing and robe-ing and thinking about forbidden sex with their subservient wives--and their future polygamous wives in the afterlife. I've heard this from a lot of temple Mormons, male and female. It was like some sort of perverted sexual fantasy for them.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 03:32AM

I never attended any temple date night. Temples were always a good 3 hour drive. I think the last session on a Friday was 5pm so that the temple could be locked up by 7:30 (the rationale was that these wonderful temple volunteers needed a chance to have a social life too). Well maybe they have since adjusted their times so people can have a date night.

My old recollections of the temple was that wards and stakes were told to ensure that they brought enough of their temple trained volunteers to do whatever temple work was planned. In other words, don't expect the temple to provide anything. I think the temples outside of the Mormon corridor operate in a similar fashion. I think many temples operate Th-F-Sa even if the official schedule says differently. I think some even expect you to call before going ~ hint hint they're often closed.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 12:50PM

We didn’t have date nights where we were. But on my first visit to the temple I bought a dress only to be told I had to wear a T-shirt under it because it was sleeveless. After that, all photos of me as a new member are of me wearing sleeveless things with T-shirt’s underneath, ridiculous. And I had to change it in the car on the way to the temple, resulting in a lot of attention from people in passing cars. I thought it was hilarious, oh the irony. It took a bit longer than that for the morg to damage my sense of humour.
Years later I went on a date to the temple with a guy I was dating. It was the first time he was extra cold towards me and barely spoke to me, and yet I wore a nice new dress, looked really good and was ‘temple worthy’. It was later I understood why; I didn’t come from a mormon family like he did so he “didn’t consider me to be marriage material”. Of course he was happy to make out with me for all those months anyway, so not exactly a good hearted “marriage material” guy.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 05:55PM

OMG! I heard about guys at BYU that would not marry some girls because they were not "good enough" in some Mormon way.

Then I talked with one of my Mormon bosses and learned he had not married his sweetheart because her Mormon parents were not active. She was the perfect girl for him as they both enjoyed all the same activities, she was beautiful, healthy, and very wealthy.

Instead he married into Mormon royalty so his children would be from good pioneer stock. Only one problem. His wife could not give him children because she had serious health issues. He was horribly disappointed that all their children were adopted. His wife has always been sickly, doesn't like to do any of the things he likes doing, prevents him from having, doing, going anywhere she doesn't approve of. They live in Utah and he cannot even go skiing because she disapproves. And his father-in-law is a major creep.

Serves him right. What a dope.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 02:24PM

Nobody told me that the church has an expected dress code before being permitted to enter to show your recommend. Only my parents told me that you had to wear a suit jacket; in addition to wearing your white shirt, necktie, slacks, dress socks and dress shoes.

So the temple workers had a royal fit over a short sleeve dress shirt. This happened after I had checked-in, shown my recommend and proceeded to the rental area (this was open at the time at the Oakland temple). Now I was being sponsored by my Dad (who really didn't pay attention to temple rules), but also my "nice" bishop and another family friend who was on the high council. Now none of them reacted adversely to my short sleeve shirt. No, it was a temple worker that was waiting to rush me off to be washed and annointed (naked under an ill-fitting poncho). He was the one that forced me to return to rent one of those awful jumpsuits because I could not wear a short sleeved shirt in the temple. Not even wear one under my suit jacket.

***nice bishop that did not ask the ever intrusive questions about self-touching and masturbation~ Just are you morally clean and chaste?

My previous bishop asked very graphic questions about bathing and going to the bathroom. It was his way of proving that you were sexually impure through accusatory interrogations.

Date: July 22, 2019 03:19PM

Wow....I had no idea that a "dress" code really existed in terms of what one wears when going to the temple. I had no one give me instructions as to how I should dress nor had I seen anyone dressed for such an occasion. I think I just surmised that "Sunday dress" would be the requirement.

I was the first in my immediate family to head to the temple and the agenda was both taking out my endowments (whatever that meant...I had no clue) plus getting married. I was nervous. I was scared.

How would I have reacted if a stern, onery matron had looked at the way I was dressed and rudely said, "Young lady, you may not enter this temple dressed in a sleeveless top and two earrings in each ear? Whatever were you thinking? Oh, you just were not thinking, were you?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2019 03:20PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.