Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 10:49AM

https://www.ksl.com/article/46598302/memorial-dedicated-for-660-pioneer-children-who-died-on-trek-to-utah

Somehow, I missed the part of this primary song where it reveled that over 600 of those children died.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 11:06AM

"Some things that are true are not useful" to a child's indoctrination.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 11:12AM

It is a basic truth of the everlasting (but ever changing) gospel of Jesu Cristo that if those children had not died during the journey, they would all have survived!! Praise the Lord!

Can I get an amen!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 03:17PM

Amen.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 11:23AM

At the dedication, M Russell Ballard mentioned that the pioneers left their homes to search for a place where they could "worship Almighty God according to their own consciences and build a future without persecution." No one at the dedication asked,"why were they persecuted?" Searching for a new place was nothing new for them because they were kicked around like a soccer ball, for breaking the laws of the land. My gggg grandmother came with the handcart companies when she was a 5 year old orphan. She was an orphan because her LDS converted parents came by ship from England and got sick at sea, died, and were buried at sea before ever reaching New York. So much for having faith and trust in TSCC. She was taken in by close relatives in NY, then they all moved to Ohio, and then went with the handcart companies. She survived, but 660 children died because "each wagon and handcart filled with faith."

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 06:28PM

In "Devil's Gate", Roberts' terrific book about the handcarts, he describes how small children were rounded up every morning and herded all day in groups by men with sticks.

The leaders knew that if the children were left with their family, they'd be put in the carts or carried and slow everyone down.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 06:55PM

I personally believe that to be a flat out lie to perpetuate the
illusion of "holiness" of the scam!!!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 03:00PM

They could have sang alright....sang out of, let's see...

***boredom

***been made to sing by the authorities

***sang to forget their sore, sore tired feet and legs, hungry bellies, the rain than was slapping them in the face, the sun that relentlessly beat down on them, the ever-present biting insects, and on and on and on.

***sang sometimes because sweet, fun-seeking children often choose to sing by themselves or with others.

However, I do not believe these pioneer children broke out in song day after day or hour after hour because they were so, so happy to be CHOSEN to be marching with their parents to the promised land to establish Zion as this song was written to imply.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 03:31PM

Likely also sang at the funerals of their friends.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 04:16PM

One commenter from the article:

"I wonder sometimes if we were called on to leave everything behind and trek across the country today how many would have the faith to do it today? My ancestors lost mother's, father's, and children during this period of time also. Just so they could gather to Utah. They left everything behind and sacrificed everything so that we could have what we do today here in Utah. How grateful I am for their sacrifices."

I'll respond to his "wonder" - the answer to how many would leave today is "not that much" because the internet has provided a major spotlight on this apocalyptic death cult known as Mormonism. It is devilish to celebrate the deaths of children, who not only died needlessly, but suffered horrifically. Mormons should be ashamed of their so called pioneer history. But Moron's like this commenter like to brag about his fruitcake ancestors as if they were so wonderful and courageous. No, they were dumb asses to place their own children in harms way to be subject to the elements, disease, untold danger FOR NO VALID REASON other than the pure lunacy of religious fanaticism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.