Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nli ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 06:59PM

subtitled: Apostasy and ex-Mormonism among Latter-day Saints, by Marshall Brooks, published by Rutgers University press, 2018

If you have read it, what was your opinion of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 08:24PM

No, but it sounds like an interesting read. It's expensive! Per Amazon and if bought through its publisher @ Rutgers University Printers online.

A blogger wrote about the author's premise in a blog he wrote in 2014 sort of as a prelude to the book later published.

"....The ex-is not the beginning of a lack but an attempt to set personal boundaries within a community formed by Mormonism and only partially the Church. It is still part of the social life and personal experience of belonging to those communities and, as such, is worthy of study and discussion.

The joining of ex- and Mormon forms a couplet whose relationships run both ways and both parts deserve comment in the context of the other.

As a counterpart to Marshall’s talk, I had a long conversation with another BYU graduate who said she no longer participates in Mormonism. We were discussing her intellectual journey as an anthropologist but she also hastened to say that even though she does not go to Church and does not see herself ever doing so, she is still considers herself very Mormon.

The identity, even without the Church, has its own resonance and comes to ground in these two people, one defined as ex- and the other as still-, yet both part of the ongoing weight and power of this people who form the population majority of an important American region and have a diaspora like the arms of a giant squid reaching throughout the country and into the world.

Mormonism is a rich and varied experience and subject for study. Only part of it involves the Church."

http://stormsandpower.blogspot.com/2014/12/mormons-ex-and-still.html

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 09:30PM

I'm still very much a mormon; I'm entirely ex-LDS.

I don't drink, don't smoke, never done any drugs, don't have sex outside of the bedroom or wherever we happen to be, and pay a full 10% tithe, to myself, and regularly feel the promptings of the spirit...to poop.

"Oh, jess, ghawd has been beri beri gud to me!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.