Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:13PM

On Wednesday this week, I got my first pair of hearing aids. The audiologist who told what I needed and then fitted me seemed very knowledgeable and my first full day was Wednesday.

I only wear them during my waking hours and then store them in their little case that charges them. And so far, I barely notice a change. He showed some price lists and the same ones I got are $6500 at the UofU clinic and these so far are going to cost me $2400, plus a fitting fee.

I haven't seen a big change yet and I'm going to a concert tonight so I'll see how that goes.

Ain't it fun getting older?

On the down side, the audiologist (he's a Dr with a PHD) has prostate cancer..he's only in the office 3 days so he can do his treatment and said he isn't positive it will work. He's only 60 years old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:29PM

They might need adjusting. Having said that, my mom had a hearing aid and never got any real help from it. Her hearing loss was in the mid-range so it was difficult for her to hear me when I talked.

I got some concerning news myself this week. I have some small cataracts in both eyes, but as my optometrist said, "they are in the worst possible spot," on the back of my lens. Both my dad and my brother had cataract surgery, so this news was not a surprise to me. I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist in September for a comprehensive evaluation. *sigh*

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:37PM

Oya vey.

Here's to hearing aids and audiologists. Hope he gets better. Prostate cancer has a pretty decent overall cure rate. Hope he's in that group.

Hope your cataract treatment goes well, Summer. That's something I get to look forward to eventually not *if* just *when.*

Oya vey.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 04:10PM

Both her parents were deaf. Her dad probably could have heard if they had hearing aids that would work for him back then. Her mother had whooping cough and lost her hearing at age 1. My mother also had a paternal aunt who was deaf--it is obviously genetic in the family.

My mother didn't wear her's very often. It doesn't filter out all the outside noise. She had to be looking at us to kind of understand what we were saying. My sister had radium treatments way back in the early 1960s for something that kept her from going deaf.

Anyway, my mom hardly ever even watched TV as she couldn't hear it. She read.

I have small cataracts, too, and need to get them removed. My sister just had 2 removed. Her vision was so bad, she couldn't drive any longer. I'm probably going to look into it soon. My sister said it was a very easy surgery. She was back at work 2 days later.

Let us know how the concert goes. Thankfully, I still have pretty good hearing. My "ex" and boyfriend do not.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 04:50PM

> Thankfully, I still have
> pretty good hearing. My
> "ex" and boyfriend do not.

What a blessing to still have 20/20 hearing!

I think I'm about 20/80 in my right ear and probably 20/500 in my left ear. I have to watch a girl's hips to be sure of what she's trying to tell me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 07:03PM

Also, I didn't say I have perfect hearing, but considering I spend my days or have spent my days with a headset in my ears listening to doctors dictating for 33 years, it is a shock, and I'm lucky I can still do this job.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 05:10PM

I have a daughter who began losing her hearing in her early twenties. She has a little hearing in one ear which is helped with hearing aids. It is one of my pet peeves that health insurance gives zero coverage of hearing loss to cover the outrageous cost of hearing aids which need replacement every few years. Presumably they do not see it as a health issue.

Date: August 02, 2019 06:15PM

I did not know that hearing aids are not a covered item. That sucks big time.

Especially for a young person who will need it for most of their working years. It is just common sense to cover that so it will help them in the workplace. People have wheelchairs that are covered. Employers have instituted things for people with disabilities to make their jobs more doable. Why not cover hearing aids? It just makes sense to do so.

Date: August 02, 2019 07:52PM

My mom sold Beltone hearing aids her first job after moving to Ogden, Utah following her divorce from my dad.

It was how she met my step-dad selling those hearing aids lol.

They were a match made in Jack Mo heaven.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 03:25PM

Getting older-

-I wouldn't know. I'm NOT doing it!-

seems to be part of the trail..

But don't quote me on that.

M@t

Date: August 06, 2019 07:42PM

HOW'S THE HEARING?

-Here-
~Now~

Okay maybe it's this
*`+:~××°÷°××~:+'*
Or maybe it's THAT!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 05:07PM

She never got new ones.

Date: August 08, 2019 08:16PM

I didn't know dogs wore them.

Snickering...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.