Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pied Piper ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 12:42AM

My younger sister invited me to her daughters baptism 8yrs old. Anyone here been in my situation?? I didn't want to go but I'm only going for my niece. Here we go again being in a building with people I cant stand zzzzzzz %$%^&%##";,"¥; that!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 03:56AM

Sorry about that! You are being a good aunt. I hope that all goes as well as possible.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 07:31AM

You're going for your niece.

Put blinders on. Be glad you're not the one in the font.

:)

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 07:36AM

I'm supposed to go to a very good friend's baby's blessing on Sunday. The baby's middle name is my name, which I'm honored for. But I still refuse to go to the chapel. I'll go to their house after their church meetings, just in time for the friends n family luncheon and will be happy to answer any questions as to why I wasn't at church. I haven't been to a church meeting in 6 years and plan on never going to another one as long as I live.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 11:11AM

They're likely to think you're interested in being reactivated.

If they give you invites or put on pressure, just shrug and tell them, "I'm here for my niece." Then change the subject or walk away.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 02:02PM

We went last year to our granddaughter’s baptism. After the baptism, we were waiting in the chapel for the confirmation. I was praying to myself for something to interfere. Her dad started to confirm her and suddenly, the microphone went out! They couldn’t get it to work, so he tried, using his loudest voice he could manage. No one could hear clearly and we were on the front row!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 02:11PM

You let Satan in the door! Satan literally answered your prayer!

You have got the POWER!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 02:14PM

in b 4 ~ thats some good voodoo val ~

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 02:10PM

IN ~

because worried about OPie ~

plz respon OPie ~

stay safe OPie ~

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 03:54AM

It would help if you had a supportive relative to warn the others that any attempts at reactivation would backfire. My brother did that for me.

My wife and I attend all blessings and baptisms of my nieces and nephews. My immediate family has always been relatively cool about my departure from LDS Inc., but the extended family who show up have sometimes thought the event was a good time to attempt reactivation. My brother has been a pretty good buffer, and after the first time he spoke to those likely to engage in such action before they had the chance.

My parents and siblings also came to my children's infant baptisms and presumably will attend first communion ceremonies as well. I think it gets under my mom's skin a bit (which is kind of funny, as I would consider her to be far less devout than is my dad) but my siblings will jump all over her if she even starts to get emotional in a bad way. When I proposed to my wife at my senior piano recital (I have a degree in music performance in addition to my biology degree), my mom started to cry. My sister sitting next to her and another one seated behind her were right on it, and told her to pull herself together immediately or risk permanently alienating her future daughter-in-law.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 06:36AM

my ex MIL wanted me to take her to my (ex) nephews baptism. so I did, even though I was way past seeing that MORmONISM is BS. at the Baptism service, she gave a talk that really hit on the supposed importance of celestial marriage. I thought: for Hell sakes, the Kid is only 8, let him be a kid for awhile and just celebrate the baptism, we still have a while before he has to get married. Turns out that it was a tactic to blindside some one else, an adult who was at the baptism. MORmONS !!!!!!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 08:22PM

My grandson's baptism was last month, and I was NOT there, because of him. He had more than enough brainwashed fanatic Mormon relatives supporting his indoctrination into the cult.

I was NOT there, in case he ever needs someone who does NOT believe in the cult. It was my way of being there for him in the future, like for instance, if he does NOT want to go to church (which is almost every Sunday) or does NOT want to pay tithing or go on pioneer trek or have a bishops' interview or go on a mission or go to BYU or get married in the temple.

Someone's got to be there for the poor little guy.

I gave him a nice family birthday party and a great gift, to celebrate HIM on his 8th birthday, and I everyone was happy about that!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 04, 2019 08:43PM

It's over--how did it go? Please return and report? How did it feel to be there? Did it make a difference to your niece?

I regretted going to my granddaughter's baptism. I had to borrow a skirt, but I dressed nice, looked good, smiled, was polite. I was busy keeping my youngest grand baby from crying, and had to take her out for a few minutes, which was a welcome relief. I was having a PTSD flashback attack, bigtime, at the sight of the men in those tight white jumpsuits, and the unsuspecting little girls with braided hair, lined up and dressed in white like polygamous brides. My granddaughter had "chosen" to be baptized? No choice at all.

My daughter accused me of "frowning." Actually, I was trying to not be sick. The Mormons shunned me, as usual. No one was glad I was there. It was not worth the discomfort.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 03:13AM

Yes please tell us how it went.
If my nieces had been local to me at the time of their baptism, I wouldn’t have gone. You are very brave and supportive. But I wouldn’t want to send a message that I’m ok with it; it horrifies me. Plus I just wouldn’t be able to stand it anyway. I’m interested to see how it went for you.

Posted by: Pied piper ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 06:04AM

Yup baptism over even though it was uncomfortable as F%*& I still had to keep on my mind that I was only there for my niece. After the baptism it was a quick bite to eat some small talk with members then I was out the door like a rocket!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 05:22PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 07:01PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: ASMinTX ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 07:43PM

When I go to a Mormon meeting of any kind it is for other than a religious commitment. I seldom miss a Primary program, youth talk by a grandson or granddaughter, musical number by daughter or grandson. I am still glad I was raised Mormon in CA and even happier to be a non-believer. I sit and view all the people in their finery knowing full well they have secrets to hide. Makes me smile...and sad...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:42PM

You can circle around the Mormons but don't let them circle, I mean square, around you.

I give LDS the cross
Better not cross me
I'm not a street
Don't want to meet

Mormons-
Beat it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.