Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 03:33PM

Do Mormon's still claim to be the only true church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 03:45PM

Well, D$C 1:30 proclaims it to be “the only true and living church on the face of the earth,” but then again, Mormons tend to ignore their own scriptures.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 02:29AM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, D$C 1:30 proclaims it to be “the only true
> and living church on the face of the earth,” but
> then again, Mormons tend to ignore their own
> scriptures.

One could claim that that verse refers to the church *at that time* and that it has (d)evolved since then.

The church as an organization was LITERALLY disincorporated by law in 1890. It was later reincorporated as the "corporation sole" that it is today, totally under the control of one individual at any given time (the corporation's President.)

"The Late Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints v. United States, 136 U.S. 1 (1890), was a Supreme Court case that upheld the Edmunds–Tucker Act on May 19, 1890. Among other things, the act disincorporated The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Corp._of_the_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-Day_Saints_v._United_States

Actually I find this such an interesting topic I'm going to post it as a new thread! ;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 04:19PM

They'll probably back track on this soon and start referring to it was one of the "more true" churches of this dispensation.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 04:55PM

I believe a fair number of temple goers and active members still believe it is because that is still part of the active dogma and teachings, is it not?

My 86-year old Mormon cousin who actively attends temple sessions believes it fervently but does not try to outwardly proselytize. Her second husband was a Deist (also her third cousin, and mine too.) Although I'm pretty sure she did his temple work for him upon his demise.

She's as good-hearted as can be, while a devout believer.

She remains sealed to her first husband.

I don't know of any TBM practicing Mormons who believe in the bull crap who would accept anything less than it's the only true church. That's part of the cult brainwashing.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 03, 2019 05:54PM

At some time in the future, the church will probably put out another essay on their website, claiming that 'early church leaders taught that they had the only true church, but that....' and then they'll backpaddle on that too, while being vague and unspecific enough to let you believe whatever you want to believe while covering the asses of those past church leaders and what they actually did say.

The church can't change those teachings too fast or someone might suspect the whole church is a fraud (even though it is). They don't like looking bad either because of what they teach. But this teaching is core to who/what the church is. So it will take a while to do an actual turn-around on this teaching. Claiming to be the only true church is like a having a copyright or a patent. No one else can legitimately copy you then. So the church will need a reason also, to give that claim up. If the government threatened to remove the church's tax exempt status over this (not that I think they should for this reason), then they would claim as many protestant churches do, that all churches are true if they follow Jesus's teachings.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 03:14PM

They claim to be the ONLY 'church' (on the face - or the ass - of the earth).

True or false

They claim to have no knowledge of that!

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.