Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 05, 2019 06:05PM

I haven't been around much. Was wondering if the lighting speed take over has continued into this year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:48AM

He has stuck to his guns in his campaign to wipe out the Mormon nickname (even though it still seems to be a futile exercise in the long term).

He's taken Wendy and Sheri on some fab trips on his private jet. (That's what impresses me the most. I won't be complaining if I can take trips to NZ and Australia on a private jet when I'm in my nineties.)

He presided over the dedication of the Rome Temple and was close enough to the Pope to play footsie.

I'm sure he's still getting "revelations" and writing them down in the middle of the night with his light pen. (For those who don't know, "revelation" is the word used by Mormon "prophets" to refer to the same types of things that are called "ideas" by regular people. The only difference is that Mormon "revelations" often have a worse track record for reliability and usefulness than ordinary ideas that conscientious people get.)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 06:41AM

An interesting observation about a relative in her late 80's. She recently flew from California to the pageant in Palmyra with her church group of a handful of other seniors, some as elderly or more than herself.

When they returned from their trip just about everyone but herself had fallen ill from something. One guy had developed a serious infection from the air and land travel. Another woman had a serious rash and swollen legs and ankles that disabled her. It wasn't an international, multi-stop air travel with as much high pressure for things to "be perfect," as I'm pretty sure Sherri and Wendy both together would have pre-conceived expectations in place for dear old Russ, and the church travel credit card.

I'd be very surprised if he took in all that travel without getting some sort of an affliction, two, or more hit him during his travels or upon his return from those travels. It happens with higher frequency with aging seniors than it does middle age and the younger population.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 08:35AM

Now I know why televangelists need private jets. The Lord’s work isn’t cheap. The members should be happy that Dear Leader is spending their money.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 08:39AM

After reading this thread I shall tithe 20 percent knowing how well my money is being spent... Glory!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 10:31AM

in April GC he told us we can just all go to Hell, time is running out. ("Come follow me", ... or else). Then in priesthood he told us that we are looking at our phones too much, wasting time looking at the stock market, sports. And instead should be listening to the women around. In June Deseret Book launched his new book for $34 down on South Temple. They actually cleared out the other authors and filled half the store with a shrine and blow up pictures to Wendy and Russel. I wonder what the tourists thought, gone are the days of modesty with monson.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 10:48AM

In a few years Russ will be gone. People in and out of the church will continue to use the word Mormon. All attention will be on Russ's replacement and the display windows of Deseret Book will be full of his image.

Modern Mormon prophets are disposable. The church members have been conditioned to honor the office not the man. You could have a stuffed scarecrow as president of the church and the members would accept it.

Russ is nothing more than a stuffed suit.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:21AM

Nelson sorta, kinda backtracked on the 'no baptism for the children of gay parents' policy/revelation. The backtrack was done as a press release a few days before April General Conference and then no mention was made of it during conference, probably because it's a little awkward to change a policy that was claimed as a revelation not long ago.
My sense was that most members were more than a little let down by the April conference as there were no great Russ/Wendy announcements, just the usual administrative stuff and droning talks.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:25AM

Ode to Russell Nelson

I will sing of Russell Nelson, and all that he has done:

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 03:17PM

WILLIE?

Or

Lucas?

(Lucas Nelson And The Promise Of The Real)

'Just Outside Of Austin'

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 04:07PM

RMN visited nearby Seattle, but ignored my plea to help reunite a family broken by hate-filled lies told by a 'TBM', which were then Knowingly excused-ratified-condoned & AWARDED by ChurchCo.

yup, that's Mormon leadership fer ya;

meanwhile, other children & grand-children got to sit in on a photo-op with him. YOWSIR!!!

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 09:10PM

I’m still catching up with mormon news too. Are Wendy and Sherri secretly a lesbian couple do you think? If not then what’s that about?That situation seems too weird, even in the weirdness of TSCC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 09:11PM by lj12.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 03:53AM

And all hoverparents can talk to missionaries once a week. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/02/15/lds-missionaries-now-can/
This is big, totally wipes out the "other world" experience of serving a mission.

Moronis are coming off temple tops.

New Anti-Scout program coming online this fall.

Haven't there been a few other low-level announcements?

RG

Date: August 15, 2019 11:33AM

Seems there should be a master list somewhere.

Collectively, all of these little changes have made major structural changes to the experience of being an adherent.

And there are likely more to come.

Individually, adjustments. Collectively, the biggest change to the Mormon Experience since the 1960s, when Correlation, Every Member a Missionary, and maybe enforcement of the WoW for temple attendance?

RG

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 04:47AM

He removed the one year wait for a temple sealing after a civil marriage and even made it OK for a couple to have a civil marriage if parents or family members would be excluded from the temple marriage.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/multimedia/file/Sealing-After-Civil-Marriage-Letter.pdf

Date: August 15, 2019 11:33AM

Right, that was the other one I was thinking of...

Date: August 16, 2019 02:15AM

after what happened in my family, I can't believe how disingenuous they are about Honesty, especially about family matters.

I wish EVERYONE IN THE WORLD would learn the TRUTH about their double-dealing actions...

Date: August 16, 2019 02:20AM

What incentive / motivation might they have to change garments/underwear?

I.Don't.Get.It.

I don't think garments are keeping people away / from paying tithing like the older versions of the temple ceremony might have, but we don't have numbers to support that.

Date: August 15, 2019 10:47AM

angela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't been around much [and] was wondering if the [ldsBS] has continued into this year?

Nothing's changed in Morbidism.
Not even the leader's underwear.

Every heard of MormonThink?

Date: August 15, 2019 11:37AM

moremany -- with the magnitude of change thus far, there is a good chance that they could also change the policy on underwear.

Lady missionaries are wearing pants. Church services are only 2 hours long. De-emphasizing the Book of Mormon as a sacred text.

These represent a strategic effort to remove the most annoying aspects at being an adherent to the faith.

Yet, adherents will still be leaving in droves. What are they other really annoying elements of adherence?

Well, young ladies don't like old men telling them what underwear to buy.

My forecast -- 100% chance of more mainstreaming in the next six months. 25% chance that one of the next policy changes will involve allowing more personal choice in underwear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 11:41AM by reinventinggrace.

Date: August 15, 2019 11:17PM

They can't change their underwear. They're stuck!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 01:38AM

"Wifebeater" t-shirts with a little tab on the right side, bottom, in line with the right knee, for the fourth mark and compliance is complete "...in the eyes of ghawd."

They just gotta get someone to announce it who is good at keeping a straight face.

Date: August 16, 2019 08:49AM

I can keep one, but I don't know where.

Posted by: Mister Minister ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 06:33PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 08:56PM

I was a 12 year old Ward Teacher!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.