Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 04:02AM

I recently spent some time with my sister's family. Apparently they all went to some kind of "Meet the Mormons" event a few years ago and bought "meet the Mormons" t-shirts for everyone in the family as souvenirs.

Most of sister's family seems to find the t-shirts really comfortable to put on when they're relaxing around the house because it seemed like someone in the family was always wearing one around the house.

Other than that, they seem to be trying to diligently comply with the Nelson's jihad against the Mormon nickname.

I wanted to be polite, so I didn't say anything about the t-shirts while I was visiting. (But I couldn't help but find it hilarious whenever I saw one of them being worn.)

They seem to be oblivious to the irony of gushing about their admiration for Nelson the Prophet while wearing worn out "Meet the Mormons" t-shirts. I suspect that the words on their t-shirts don't even register in their conscious minds at this point.

Just one of those weird things that you can experience when you have TBM relatives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 09:12AM

when the name will go back to mormon.

I wonder if the DI takes them?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:06AM

Nelson soon will be gone. He gets a lot of love and attention from the members but that's all focused on the office. Not the man in it. Soon there will be another stuffed suit called the prophet and he will get all the adulation. It's like the prophet is a idol or something.

Mormons worships prophets and temples like an idol. It's human programming. Nobody is really thinking. Most prophets let things be as they have been unless something in the church runs into a snag or becomes socially unacceptable to where the church has to change its policy. For the most part the church just chugs on the same way it did when the last guy ran it.

Russel mania will soon burn itself out like a quick burning sparkler. We will find all the talk about "You haven't seen anything yet!" to be just talk. Russ won't be remembered for much. Maybe the prophet who made church two hours instead of three. The members love the church but they seem to even love having less of it more. If they cut out the second hour and just had sacrament meeting you would hear wide approval. Heck if the church just disappeared and the temple became a wedding chapel and meditation center the members would love it.

Come to the temple and do yoga and reflect on the universe. Haha!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 12:00PM

as I did think of them as the leader of the church, but love? I remember when Hinckley died and my daughter said how much she loved him. I was like, "You don't even know him, how can you love him." I didn't say it out loud. I watched his funeral just because I happened to be working and I was interested in seeing if there was anything earth moving in what was said. There wasn't anything of substance. Not even a faith-promoting story. I actually never saw a funeral of a prophet before that funeral. I wasn't interested when the others died.

I have taken note that my daughter hasn't said much about Nelson--not even posts on fb. I'm wondering what she thinks!

He and Wendy have been so ridiculous that I am anxious to see her lose her "glory" and so I'm hoping as short of a time as possible. It was women like her who I hated in mormonism. And people think the women in the church don't have power. I saw many like her.

But then they get Oaks. It may just get worse. ha ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 12:00PM by cl2.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:43PM

That's what surprised me about my recent visit to my former home ward. Not one word about the prophet or the church leaders. Truly, there is little feeling for Nelson other than he is the prophet.

I can't ever recall attending a sacrament meeting where a prayer didn't ask for a blessing to be upon the prophet (whether it was Kimball, Benson, Hunter or Hinkley).

I find interesting that there are very few (if any) upcoming church leaders have charm or charisma that inspires members. The leaders seem to overwhelmingly pessimistic and cranky or bland and stoic.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 12:21PM

(sorry, I can't pass this up)

wet t-shirts on women always get my attention, regardless of the message (tank-tops are BETTER!)

garmies underneath? Not So Much...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 01:45PM

T-shirts aren't church approved. They are Lucifer trying to copy garments.

And besides, no GA has done successful marketing of things other than books so...ponderize that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.