Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:16PM

Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about cancer.

First, please, don't let this become a Deist vs Atheist thread. I really need some support here.

Second, I have been diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer which has metastasized into bone cancer. I'm on radiation and chemo. I sure could use the knowledge that there are folks out there praying for my stabilization.

Thank you my tribe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:20PM

Heidi, I am so sorry. All my positive prayers and thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery and stabilization.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:28PM

I just finished treatment for stage 4 throat cancer. Six weeks of daily radiation and weekly chemo. The cancer is gone and I'm overcoming the side effects -- painful swallowing, nausea, dramatic weight loss, weakness.

Each patient, each type of cancer, is different, so outcomes are different. We all want the best for you, but I would place more faith in my oncology team, and in the loving support of family and friends, than in the good thoughts and prayers of strangers.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 05:11PM

cover those bases, and then there is the cheering and support squad. That's us.

Heidi, dear, I've been through the dreaded pink-ribbon thing too, so I understand. Sending you the most positive of best wishes and good vibes for healing. Very gentle cyberhugs to you!!

Four whiskers up, with a pinch of that magical herb - catnip!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:32PM

I am so sorry, Heidi.

My good energies are going in your direction, to help out in whatever ways are most optimally the best for where you are right now.

I wish you the best possible in every way.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:43PM

A day at a time or less if necessary. Hope the doctors, nurses and people in your life love and support you as you deserve.

I did beat breast cancer and know a bit about it. Mine was stage 2. So you deserve twice the love and care.

My thoughts are with you.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 02:54PM

Heidi, I’m so sorry to hear about what you’re going through. My positive thoughts and prayers for you to have a fast recovery.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:13PM

I wish I could take your cancer from you. The best, happiest people always seem to get stuck with unfortunate, undeserved outcomes. I hope your cancer goes into remission quickly.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:31PM

Positive energies and juju from me - not sure they actually help, but they're all I can contribute. Here's hoping for the very best outcome possible!

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:33PM

Sorry to hear you are a member of the club.

My surgeon (Mormon but genuinely a good guy) told me a year ago that he got all of my cancer.

Last May he operated again to clear some scar tissue and closed me up, stating the cancer had spread throughout my abdomen.

I now have Stage IV kidney and colon cancer.

Fortunately after 17 chemo treatments my numbers are improving.

Chemo is not fun. It does not feel as though I am fighting this disease, but rather prolonging and surrendering to as my single fang IV snake pumps it’s venom into my system.

Try to keep hope. People are pulling for you.

Date: August 06, 2019 03:43PM

Gheco:

My good energies are going in your direction too!

I hope they help.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:50PM

Same. That's really rotten.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 06:52PM

We are pulling for you as well, Gheco.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 10:05PM

Same for me, Gheco. Pulling for you too.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 06:57PM

So sorry to hear this, Gheco. I join the legions wishing you all the best. I hope you too can keep us updated.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 05:31PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So sorry to hear this, Gheco. I join the legions
> wishing you all the best. I hope you too can keep
> us updated.

Thanks to all the well wishers!

Although i know how this saga will end, i intend to give it my best fight.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:39PM

Cancer sucks!

I am so sorry this is happening to you. You have my good thoughts, prayers, and whatever else you need from afar.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:42PM

My thoughts and prayers will be with you. It doesn't matter if we are strangers on the internet. I think positive thoughts are always good now matter where they come from.

I'm just so sorry!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:43PM

Heidi, sending sincere encouragement to you! Your condition can stabilize and treatments are better than ever.

I'm optimistic that your oncology team will help get the best outcome for you! You have caring listeners here who want the very best for you.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:44PM

So sorry to hear. It can be a hard disease. Take it one day at a time, and yes I'll pray for you.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 06:36PM

Heidi...so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Cancer is such a vicious unrelenting scourge. I wish you all the very best in your fight with it.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 06:46PM

I don't have a favorite deity, Heidi, but I do wish you the best in slaying the C-Dragon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 06:51PM

Heidi, I'm so sorry that you have to face this challenge. My prayers are with you. Please feel free to reach out to us whenever you need to.

Date: August 06, 2019 09:59PM

Dear Heidi,

My thoughts and positive energy are going your way on wings and a prayer that you will get only the very best care and support during this time in your life.

I've been through breast cancer, and am still receiving post-treatment care ongoing and will be for years to come. There are many treatments today available for the disease, including metastatic.

It is very frightening to get the diagnosis. Processing that alone is painful and mind numbing. I remember listening to meditation music to try and ease my mind a bit when I began treatment and radiation therapy.

You're going to need a support group. There are those available usually in your community; and you'll find some online. Your hospital and oncology team will be able to provide you with resources to help you navigate your way as you go. My therapist was pretty helpful when I was going through treatments. His daughter developed cervical cancer since then and his brother had lung cancer during that time. It seemed like things were all happening at once. There were days I didn't know who was counseling who? But therapy helped me get through it nonetheless.

Hang in there, Heidi. This too will pass. Sending you hugs and warm wishes of healing and wellness as you embark on this next chapter. You WILL get through it. BELIEVE. One day at a time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 10:16PM

Heidi-

Everyone here wants Your Best outcome, for yourself, for your friends & family too.

Blessings, all of us~

Posted by: Topping ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 06:19PM

Yes, in solidarity.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 06:42PM

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8

From breast cancer.org

great community for those who have BC. The link above is to the metatastic forum

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 06:55PM

Heidi. I am so sorry to read this. I will join those sending you good vibes and my best wishes for you.

My mom has had breast cancer recently. She was fortunate to only receive radiation and not need chemo. She is doing well postop but still it's a major life challenge and interruption. Of course it's scary and immensely tough to go through. Fortunately, the cancer care medical teams are most often the best of the best, with tons of experience and understanding.

I wrote earlier today of a prayer experience I had years ago where I felt immediate peace and comfort in the face of great grief. So immensely helpful to me. I fervently hope for the same for you.

I wish for you to be surrounded by love. That, and laughter, the best medicine, as they say.

All the best to you and I hope you can keep us updated. Know that we will be thinking of you.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:56AM

Hang in there, Heidi. We're pulling for you!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 02:40PM

Oh, Heidi, what bad luck! Sending you some strong magic from Paris, O Good Witch of The Rockies.

Much love to you

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 09:11AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: schwing ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 05:21PM

I will keep you in my prayers. Breast Cancer is a curse in my family that has taken many its members. I lost my Mom to breast cancer ten years ago and still mourn her every day.

On the positive, her cancer also metastasized but she still lived and had great quality of life for many years with chemo and good living:)

Date: August 08, 2019 09:17PM

Just want to add, Heidi, there are several people on this board who are breast cancer survivors, myself included.

For what it's worth, we're a loose knit support group right here, albeit not as close to home as where you are.

Something I learned at a local support group when I was going starting my treatment regimen is that from the first day you receive your diagnosis you can count that as your first day of being a breast cancer survivor! Seriously!

That's day #one of being cured of it.

Will be rooting for you all the way. Please keep us posted as you are able to.

I recall the radiation made me terribly tired. There were days all I wanted to do was to go home and rest. And you know, that is just what I did. The doctors and nurses were incredibly kind, and the people I met during the treatments. It helped make the time go by quickly.

Take really good care of yourself and sending lots and lots of hugs your way. ❤️

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 09:47PM

Pulling for team Heidi.

Date: August 09, 2019 01:37PM

We have had several posters who have dealt with forms of cancer. Some are more private, some share quite a bit.

I feel helpless and have compassion for everyone dealing with this. I generally feel encouraged with modern treatments and the strength these posters demonstrate.

I do have gratitude for those sharing with us. It helps us understand what it is like and allows us to share in our empathy. It helps us all to see the courage and determination many have demonstrated to overcome obstacles. The battles we face being frail humans seem not as bad when we share our concern and encouragement. Thanks for educating us first hand about such experiences. It's a gift that benefits us all and makes us stronger.

(Edit: Checking -First paragraph was getting cut off)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 01:43PM by dagny.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 07:58PM

The very impersonal Bell-Shaped Curve...

I was discharged as cured. Yay!

I hope you get to say that, too. It could happen!!

Attitude counts for so much, and if having people pulling for helps your attitude, you can count on me being in harness.

Go, team Heidi !
Go, team Gheco !

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 08:06PM

Best wishes to you. I'm a cancer survivor myself.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 09:51PM

So sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you and your family. We have some cancer going on in our family, too, and we know the stress and fear.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 06:29PM

I do not know if this works but I have been doing the keto diet. There have been several articles and YouTube videos saying that cancer cells cannot live without sugar. Keto is sugar free. Some people have replied saying they had positive results from removing sugar intake. But I do not know anyone personally who tried that path. Might explore that option.

I am not a doctor and don’t claim it works. I just found the sugar link to cancer interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 06:30PM by wondering.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 08:58PM

Wow Heidi. I am sorry to hear of this. You are definitely high in our thoughts for stabilization and recovery.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 09:50PM

Dang cancer....my best hopes and wishes are being sent to you.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 12:02AM

Heidi and Gheco, our sweet loves!

So sorry this has happened to you. I look at Alex Trebek who is in "near remission," and I am reminded of what strides are being made in cancer care now. Please look toward remission.

Treat yourselves very well, and know that so many of your ex-mo compatriots are here pulling for you.

My best thoughts, hopes; and yes, even prayers are with you.

--Kathleen

Posted by: I don’t know ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 09:36PM

I have stage 4 breast cancer that has returned 5 times. I’ve done chemo twice and tried pills multiple times. Nothing worked as it kept coming back. I was diagnosed with stage 1 in 2001 and stage 4 in 2012. I see an oncologist every 6 months to be checked. I’ve given up on chemo although there are new drugs out there I would try if only they were not so expensive.

I tried something new in 2012 that I believe has helped. My oncology nurse recommended I watch the Netflix video Forks Over Knives. I have been following this advice since 2012 and with the help of an oncologist and a good surgeon, have been doing well.

The whole idea is to keep a low acid profile in the food you eat to help you heal. I’m willing to talk on the phone or email if you wish. It is terrifying to face a deadly disease.

Sending good vibes your way.

Hannah

Date: August 17, 2019 12:39AM

Forks Over Knives is a reality check for how we eat. It changed my perspective too.
Thanks for recommending it, Hannah. It's one more tool that could help our "C" friends.

Date: August 17, 2019 02:09PM

I’m willing to give the admin my name & address. Being a kind of newbie, I’m not sure how to do that. Any help?

It’s been a long and crazy ride for me but I’ve finally gone one entire year without finding cancer spots on my chest wall, knowing it takes about 3 years to convince a doctor to cut it out. They keep telling me it’s just a small mole. And yes, I’ve seen multiple doctors and mostly they’ve been pretty bad. I finally found a couple of gems though. My lifestyle changes are helping too.

I’m happy to help others.

Hannah

Date: August 17, 2019 02:21PM

I don’t know Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m willing to give the admin my name & address.
> Being a kind of newbie, I’m not sure how to do
> that. Any help?

Email Concrete Zipper (who is Admin):

concrete.zipper@gmail.com

Date: August 17, 2019 05:29PM

I have emailed CZ and given home my phone number. He is authorized to give it to OP. Thanks all!

Hannah

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 12:03PM

Heidi,

If you e-mail me, I would be happy to give you the contact info that Hanna provided me. She's a long-time RfM poster.

CZ
concrete.zipper@gmail.com

Posted by: pumpkingirl ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 09:47PM

Heidi, call Hannah.
She has more experience than the rest of us.
( she didn't leave her number, but maybe she left it with admin)

Please know that the rest of us are hoping, praying, INSISTING on your healing.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 05:25PM

LOL to the first part. I guess my mind was in the gutter, because I was thinking of a different “ C word”. There was indeed a time where the C word wasn’t talked about ,or if it was, it was whispered .
I’ll definitely be praying and sending positive thoughts out also. My sister is going through that. I can’t imagine how that feels to hear that diagnosis from a doctor.
I hope you find positive support groups in your area to attend .
Aren’t the people on this board awesome?

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 10:15PM

Adding to those supporting you through this ordeal.

Best wishes and hope during these trying times.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 10:29PM

I’ll pray for you, Heidi.

My heart resonates good will towards you and my hopes are that you are heading to a complete and timely recovery.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 11:27AM

Heidi and Gheco,

Wishing you well, and that you are able to a access every new advance in cancer care, and are doing well on your treatment.

Continued good thoughts heading your way, and for you, too, Hannah.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 11:42AM

Been a while since I read this thread. Hoping everyone here dealing with cancer is getting some positive results from their treatment. It's coming up on 2 years since I lost my wife to stage 4 lung cancer and I've become a bit paranoid about any changes to my own body.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.