Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:48PM

I didn't think people could sue for being credulous. Scams (including the scam of religion) are rampant and people are not forced to fall for it.

I think this is good news for more people to read about how the Mormon church operates, but I can't imagine this would go anywhere.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 04:08PM

Like Tom Phillips I like that people do this - challenge an obvious generational fraud in courts of law.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 04:14PM

It’s not credulity, it’s predation. They know all of the psychological tricks to manipulate and hold captive their marks. This sh*t is not religion. It’s a conniving cult masquerading as a religion to leach off the public (avoid taxes).

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 04:54PM

It's the very essance of religion:

Make unfounded claims
Collect money (pay now, rewards later)
Never be responsible when people buy into the claims, no matter what the outcome is when people follow the religion.

Religion is one of the oldest, most established and protected sources of fraudulent scams. It has been a scam from the first shaman who figured out he could get a gig shaking beads and making up stuff to the present day preacher who presumes to know what God wants everyone to be doing.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 01:03PM

Religion is an insurance company where their claims department is only available to their dearly departed.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 03:49PM

Agreed, but it's going to force some information out there that many people need to see. Kay Burningham is a very, very smart woman too - it will be interesting to see how she handles this. Her book was excellent.

Date: August 06, 2019 04:10PM

The fact that the church is trying to reinvent itself shows that they don’t really believe their own doctrine. It’s about what did they know and when did they know it. Oaks is big on CYA, but did it work?

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 06:13PM

Not many other so-called "Religions" have tried to surreptitiously change their foundational narrative as often & as boldly & blatantly as has LDS-Inc.

& they've been caught-in-the-act red-handed.

This litigation may have some merit and traction.

& I'm genuflecting in prayer towards the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it indeed does.

But whatever your feelings are about it...you can be dang sure that if it proceeds it's gonna make ALL of the Q-15 Geriatric Boys Club more than a bit nervous.

Time to buy stock in Depends Under-Garments!

Or so it seems to me...

Date: August 06, 2019 06:35PM

I think religions are free to believe anything they want as long as they don’t harm anyone. But, just as yelling “fire” in a crowded theater isn’t protected by the First Amendment, harmful beliefs shouldn’t be either. Cult-like methods and manipulation tactics don’t deserve First Amendment protection let alone tax free status.

I remember when the cigarette companies were untouchable. They weren’t.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 11:33PM

Kay B. will be out-lawyered. LD$ Inc. will assign 20 lawyers if they have to.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 07:38AM

Legally this will go no where.

They will successfully claim this individual volunteered everything.

However, this case may earn national media exposure which will be very tough to counter, particularly if LDS financials, and the secrecy of their financial empire gains traction.

There is gaining national discussion for the taxation of churches. Pressure could come from other powerful religious institutions because they also want to avoid financial transparency.

Sunlight disinfects.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:38AM

I agree that of course this will go nowhere, but I think they know that. But I just had a thought: what would happen if we all collectively as ex-mormons sued the Mormon church? Would it go further or at least receive a lot of publicity. Perhaps this is a ridiculous thought but I would love to give them hell. Unfortunately I can’t ask my lawyer brother because he is a mormon.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:27AM

If it's a class action lawsuit which the press release calls it, it would be open to other disenfranchised members of the church.

It will likely be dismissed due to First Amendment.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 09:18AM

Here is another link for it.

https://www.wnd.com/2019/08/deceived-scorching-lawsuit-blasts-mormon-scheme-of-lies/

Members are leaving in droves. Youtube has plenty ex mormon videos. The lawsuit will probably not work but it will bring awareness.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 11:50AM

So how does reading world nut daily actually prove anything ?

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 02:49PM

Finally a real lawsuit. I hope she wins.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.