Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 07:15PM

In response to Reader's post on now closed thread. Reader replied,

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2246616,2247123#msg-2247123

To which my response is: I say, Oh yes you do! This is what happened to me and my children when we tried leaving.

I had the bishop's wife where we live show up at my door and force herself into my house after I stopped attending with my daughter. She physically assaulted me in my livingroom because I stopped attending telling me I had no right to not let my daughter go there. Only I pulled my daughter out from there because of them undermining my parental authority (we're talking CULT here now.)

I told her to get out of my house and leave my property or I was going to call the police on her. The next day I sent my resignation in for both my daughter and myself. My daughter was still a minor then. They were harassing me because of some underhanded things they were doing with my daughter that came to my attention which was why I stopped attending and pulled my daughter from church when I did.

So no, it isn't as simple as just not going. Not when the bishop's wife comes to your house and assaults you in your own home. She wrote me a letter the next day apologizing saying she was off her meds and needed to increase them or something to that effect. Didn't matter. The damage was done. I was out of there. She couldn't have screamed C-U-L-T louder than that if she had tried, only she was screaming too! My children were there to witness her violent behavior. She went completely berserk. It scared the hell out of us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 07:23PM

That's almost as bad as requiring male genitals to be mutilated or classifying if someone belongs by their mother's blood line...and those people aren't even off their meds.

Date: August 06, 2019 08:28PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's almost as bad as requiring male genitals to
> be mutilated or classifying if someone belongs by
> their mother's blood line...and those people
> aren't even off their meds.

Mormon males were typically circumcised as well, according to my dad, a 5th generation Mormon.

Btw, there is NO blood line in Judaism, none whatsoever. You are confusing the matriarchal Jewish lineage with a bloodline, but they are not the same thing. To be Jewish is only a religion, period.

Why are you so fixated on my being born of a Jewish mother anyway? What is it to you? It is my heritage. I am not ashamed of it. Nor am I ashamed of being born to a LDS father. That is my heritage also.

I've rejected Mormonism and embraced the Jewish faith. Why do you feel obliged to denigrate my faith? Do you like to be denigrated as a godless morally debased Atheist? I don't have a problem with your being an Atheist, but I equate what you do to subject my faith on the same scale as that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 08:31PM by Amyjo.

Date: August 06, 2019 11:56PM

I only would like to point out all religions have "hoops" and no faith based belief is any more legitimate than another when it comes to claims made on faith.

It comes across as hypocritical to criticize Mormons so strongly and expect respect for another religion that has plenty of weird people, beliefs, practices and rituals.

I hate to be defending Mormonism, believe me, but make darn sure your own religion doesn't have any issues if you want any credibility. For someone who bears testimony of all kinds of nonfactual hearsay experiences, cut Mormons a break. He whose religion has many hoops should not be pointing out hoops of others!

Mormons are looking good by comparison to your collection of religious claims IMO.

Go ahead and act all persecuted for your faith while complaining about Mormons. However, recognize how it comes across to some of us hearing you dish out complaints about Mormons but unwilling to apply the same level of scrutiny to yourself.

I hope this honest response will help you understand why your testimony posts seem hypocritical to me. Not everyone here will agree. That's fine.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 12:25AM

What testimony? She is talking about a specific problem she had with one woman. As far as jumping through hoops- in most religions you don't have to resign and request no contact if you don't want visitors and constant invitations to church. You just leave.

Date: August 07, 2019 06:46AM

That is correct, bona dea.

Dagny hijacked my thread to attack my belief system of Judaism. Whereas I was addressing the post to a woman in a now closed thread which obviously had nothing to do with Dagny's post.

She turned it into an argument for her usual tirade against Judaism and why it isn't any better than Mormonism. She sounds so hateful it borders on anti-Semitism.

Judaism teaches kindness and love and tolerance for others.

That seems lost to Dagny. If I were to choose between my belief system and Dagny's it would be hands down Judaism any day of the week!

That Mormonism shows no such respect for the rights or boundaries of others has nothing to do with Dagny's reproach on this thread of my belief system or my values since leaving Mormonism. It does however shine a light into the person who Dagny is rather, and that does not fare well for her.

If she wants to start a thread on circumcision and mitochondrial DNA then let her start her own damn thread. And stay the hell out of mine. This one had nothing at all to do with that topic.

My question and answer was to Reader, who appeared to have been a lurker on this forum. If I were Reader, seeing that exchange between Dagny and me would give her or him a better picture of the crap that goes on here, which is why there are some that choose not to return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 07:24AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 01:42PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Dagny hijacked my thread to attack my belief
> system of Judaism. Whereas I was addressing the
> post to a woman in a now closed thread which
> obviously had nothing to do with Dagny's post.

Many responses diverge somewhat, or even completely, from the topic of an OP. There is usually no malice in that, merely the natural ebb and flow of a general conversation.

A comment in a response post sparks a memory or thought in someone and they relate it, not meaning any disrespect towards the thread author. If it's not an intentional derail or malice it isn't usually a problem, except that sometimes an OP may not end up being the main topic and the first poster may not get the responses they had hoped for or needed. Again, that is not usually due to malice on the part of those responding.

That happens with you too, Amyjo. One example is the recent thread where babylon asked if anyone believes in Satan. You gave several accounts of paranormal experiences. They were not direct responses to the specific question contained in the OP, although perhaps related somewhat to the general area of the topic. I'm sure you meant no harm in the divergence. Same with others who respond to topics and comments in their own way that may stay 100% on topic or may veer down an alternate path. Again, usually no harm intended.

AJ:
> She [Dagny] turned it into an argument for her usual
> tirade against Judaism and why it isn't any better
> than Mormonism. She sounds so hateful it borders
> on anti-Semitism.

I guess we're going to disagree - again. I always read Dagny's posts as I enjoy her comments and have learned from her insights. I do not recall any "tirade[s] against Judaism" EVER. If they occurred, it should have been reported to Admin and her "tirade" removed.

I thought that Dagny's first reply to you in this thread was level (bland), even perhaps meant to be somewhat humourous. I could be wrong about that, however certainly don't see it as malignant. In no way could it be considered "hateful". I see and understand that there are sensitivities involved. But, within reason, sensitivities aren't catered to at RfM (no disrespect meant to the board). In fact, it could be counter to "recovery" efforts if all sensitivities possible were strictly observed, which would render discussion toothless and even prevent insights and 'evolution', so to speak, for many readers.

You accuse Dagny of anti-Semitism. Taking sensitivity to the nth degree. Any disagreement, or even just a difference of opinion, is *not* "anti". (That's kind of how Mormons think of we ex-mos - we don't just change our minds or have different opinions - we're "anti"). If you truly think her comment rises to that level, have you reported it to Admin to get it removed? It certainly would be as "anti" comments about any specific person or group or minority etc are not allowed here (other than when discussing Mormonism of course and then we exmos don't consider general comments disagreeing with that religion to be anti so the point is moot).

> Judaism teaches kindness and love and tolerance
> for others.

As do other faiths. One of the most difficult calls of such teachings, I find, is to be "better than" in the sense of employing the bedrock principles of love, acceptance, tolerance and good will towards others, even in the face of challenges. At least in the Christian churches of my acquaintance, we hear the lessons over and over: overcome hate with love, practice kindness even in the face of injustice, be a good example of the best principles of good living, love one another (even those that "hate" you) etc. There are times at RfM that a person of faith could showcase such qualities, if they wanted to, interacting with others at least as positively as others not of our own beliefs.

> That Mormonism shows no such respect for the
> rights or boundaries of others has nothing to do
> with Dagny's reproach on this thread of my belief
> system or my values since leaving Mormonism. It
> does however shine a light into the person who
> Dagny is rather, and that does not fare well for
> her.

I don't see her brief general comment as "reproach" but obviously it's your feelings on it that matter as it's directed at you. But. Taking it from the general to the personal (mentioning "the person who Dagny is") is coming from you and often that type of diversion (going personal rather than staying on the topic under discussion) is not going to go well.

> If she wants to start a thread on circumcision and
> mitochondrial DNA then let her start her own damn
> thread. And stay the hell out of mine. This one
> had nothing at all to do with that topic.

Again, my point about the natural evolution of a discussion comes into play. And usually the first one to start swearing has lost the high ground.

A basic principle of RfM, as I understand it, is that anyone at all is permitted to respond on any thread that catches their interest. So telling someone (or hinting) that they should "stay the hell out of [my thread]" is a bit unrealistic.

> My question and answer was to Reader, who appeared
> to have been a lurker on this forum. If I were
> Reader, seeing that exchange between Dagny and me
> would give her or him a better picture of the crap
> that goes on here, which is why there are some
> that choose not to return.

Same point as above. People don't usually start a thread expecting to only speak to one person. Just by starting a thread, one is inviting the world to weigh in. If you only want to speak one on one with someone that's what email or other private messaging is for.

As for "the crap that goes on here", you have contributed to some of that yourself, you must admit (but likely won't).

Sorry for the negative comment. But sometimes you have a lot of expectations of others while yourself not always being a shining example of good posting behaviour. Just saying. And only because you "attack" others with ferocity at times, while complaining about "attacks" against you. It doesn't feel good, does it? So maybe try to back off doing it yourself and peace may envelop you and you may enjoy posting more (unless you like the contention).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 01:48PM by Nightingale.

Date: August 07, 2019 02:53PM

I will only reply one more time as to not further disrupt. My comment was rather tongue in cheek since when it comes to hoops, the Jewish faith is loaded with them.

I am not a fan of ANY religion and feel complaints should be viewed broadly for how they apply to all religions.

She accused me of anti-Semitism for cripes sake! What is the word for her hate for Mormons?

I don't understand why it was such a hard concept to understand that Mormons have hoops and so do other religions.

Nighingale and I don't agree on religion, but she sees the point I am making and never comes off as hypocritical about her beliefs. I have learned much from her. She has earned respect from atheists and believers alike.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 03:00PM

I love you both. I don't care about religions; I care about people. And you and Nightingale are fine specimens, intelligent and thoughtful and emotionally aware.

In another post I was accused of being an "atheist." That is false: I am not wise enough to prove to myself that God exists or does not exist, which makes me a typically indecisive agnostic.

But I do know what I respect in a person: warmth and honesty and integrity and curiosity. You and Nightingale are very different people with very different views, but you are both fine human beings and I learn from you all the time.

Date: August 07, 2019 03:01PM

Dagny,Tevai explained why criticizing Mormonism is the reason why this board exists.Perhaps you should read it again. I agree that you are not anti Semitic-at least exclusively. You hate all religion which is a form of bigotry.It is your right, but you can expect to get called out on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 03:02PM by bona dea.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:42PM

This didn't just go.off on a tangent. Dagny personally attacked Jewish .practices which were not part of themthread, and by extension, Amyjo. Her comments had absolutely nothing to.do with this thread and attacking religion is what she does in most posts. Discussion and attack are not the same thing

This was meant for Nightingale's post on hijacking happening a lot. My point was that this is an extreme example of hijacking It somehow showed up in the wrong spot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 05:47PM by bona dea.

Date: August 07, 2019 04:29PM

I don't always follow my own advice, but I find it more effective to report bad behavior rather th@n argue extensively with posters who engage in it.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:07PM

Thanks bona dea. I don't know why I have been under attack so heavily by the atheists, but they really must hate me because it is a full frontal campaign by dagny and her cronies. It is been going on for a long time. Not only on this thread but others.

They hijack my posts, and like this entire thread try to derail whatever I write.

No wonder there are problems with RfM at the moment. Some of these people are just acting out without any respect for the rules of the forum. They really must not care for civility, tolerance or respect for others in general.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:16PM

Happened to me too with one of them. I decided not to engage her anymore.

Date: August 07, 2019 06:59AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 07:25AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 01:12AM

dagny Wrote:
> It comes across as hypocritical to criticize
> Mormons so strongly and expect respect for another
> religion that has plenty of weird people, beliefs,
> practices and rituals.

The subject, and the raison d'etre, of this board is Mormonism/exmormonism. This board was created as a safe place to criticize Mormonism as it has affected people's lives.

> I hate to be defending Mormonism, believe me, but
> make darn sure your own religion doesn't have any
> issues if you want any credibility.

There is no religion in existence which has no issues. This board would not exist if your suggested rule here were in force.

> ....cut Mormons a break. He whose
> religion has many hoops should not be pointing out
> hoops of others!

Again, this board could not exist if this principle was in force.

> Go ahead and act all persecuted for your faith
> while complaining about Mormons. However,
> recognize how it comes across to some of us
> hearing you dish out complaints about Mormons but
> unwilling to apply the same level of scrutiny to
> yourself.

One of the things Jews are known for now, and have historically been known for, is self-criticism....going back at least to some centuries BCE (I am thinking of the Babylonian Exile here, when Jewish self-criticism became formally incorporated into the body of Jewish thought....and from there, into Jewish daily life, Jewish study in general, and very prominently into Jewish humor).

In daily life, Jewish self-criticism is one of the reasons why the word kvetch was created!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 08:11PM by Tevai.

Date: August 07, 2019 01:26AM

Exactly. This is an ex Mo board, not an ex Jewish,Muslim, Catholic etc board. It is also not an atheist board. There are a variety of people here with a variety of beliefs. I don't agree with everything Amyjo believes, but I.am going to.defend her here. She has a right to believe whatever she likes, as do the rest of us. There are posters who seem to have it in for her and it is getting old. If she, or anyone else, is in violation of the rules, report them.

Date: August 07, 2019 07:28AM

I make no testimony posts. Because I am a believer any post I make to the gaggle of Atheists who have clustered together (there are a handful of them who've formed a gang here against me,) have labeled my posts a "testimony" (see Lot's wife rants,) when I've said something about seeing spirits of my loved ones, or having premonitions, or signs. To them that is the same as a testimony apparently. Or that my belief and faith system is now Judaism.

Shows how idiosyncratic and off base they've become and unrattled, if you ask me.

My faith is as real to me and my beliefs are as their non-faith is as real to them. And yes, I can criticize Mormonism, the cult. That should be one thing we can all share in common.

If Dagny is so uncomfortable with my criticism of Mormonism, then why is she here? What is her gripe with Mormonism? Or is it ALL religion? Because to Dagny ALL religion falls under the same umbrella as Mormonism.

And on RfM while Atheists are a majority doesn't mean that they own the forum to beat up believers. Yet that is Dagny's mentality. To gang up on someone like me to bully and throw her weight around including on a thread where she was entirely off topic to basically HIJACK it for her own amusement to derail it and for her cronies.

Dagny uses the excuse that I criticize Mormonism to the nth degree so this is fair turnaround. No it is not. Because as a believer I am as free to express myself against Mormonism here as she is. But she shouldn't be free to ATTACK my belief system simply for being a believer where she is an ATHEIST.

So what if I've had spiritual experiences? That is a part of my life history. Why should I pretend otherwise? Why does Dagny find me so threatening? Do I threaten her belief system by my presence? It sure does seem to rattle her.

Fact of the matter, Reader is nowhere to be found. Reader is GONE. My OP was to Reader. Not to Dagny. My thread had NOTHING at all to do with Dagny's response to it, and Reader has disappeared. Thanks Dagny, for nothing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 07:32AM by Amyjo.

Date: August 07, 2019 02:08PM

> I make no testimony posts.

Surely that depends on the definition of "testimony."

--------------
Merriam Webster: Definition of testimony

2b : a public profession of religious experience

--------------
Oxford English Dictionary: Definition of testimony in English

1.2A public recounting of a religious conversion or experience.

---------------
Your quarrel isn't with me, Amyjo, it is with the English language.

Date: August 07, 2019 03:25PM

LW's comments reminded me of another point I wanted to make. Way back when I first came to RfM, there was much less information on the Net about Mormonism and not as many related web sites (if any?). One major board guideline that was quite strictly observed was "no preaching, no proselytizing". To some it seemed unfair. To most it was a vast relief after the trauma of exiting the faith of their fathers (so to speak).

If you think of Eric K's purpose in setting up the board (to assist those who have left Mormonism transition to a postmo life and to answer questions of current members if any so desired) it may be easier to understand why the board has been, and continues to want to be (as I don't see that the guidelines against preaching/proselytizing have changed) a religion-free zone in that regard.

IOW, exmos and questioners have the most floor space here. Eric never said it was equal opportunity time for folks to present both sides of every question (i.e. defending the [Mormon] faith not allowed, for sure, but neither is promoting other belief systems).

So then the argument becomes what is the definition of 'preaching', of 'proselytizing', of 'defending the faith'. And undoubtedly we can argue over definitions. But if you use the dictionary and take the most basic definition of each word or phrase it is straightforward.

Less obvious may be various accounts of beliefs and experiences that are preachy yet understated. Hence motive comes into play. One can "preach" without presenting a formal sermon. One can "proselytize" without issuing a direct invitation. One can "defend the faith" in subtle ways.

So then the question becomes one of motive. When does a personal account of a particular faith experience or a chatty little aside about a church event breach the line between general posting and the P/P that is against board rules? Harder to discern sometimes. At other times it seems more obvious. That is when the hackles of many exmos rise. Not only does it offend their sense of decency and fair play (going against board guidelines in the most egregious way - to proselytize - an activity to which they may be highly allergic, with good reason) but they also may see it as a threat to the more vulnerable. Both reactions are understandable in this forum. And backed up by Admin's stated purpose/s for their private board.

I think that often people may do the preaching thing unawares. They merely want to share a thought or event or experience or insight. Even so, if they cross the line it's still not OK just because they don't realize how it comes across.

If people do it on purpose (harder to tell unless an interloper makes it obvious; we've had some of those through the years) then it's understandable that posters get riled.

This may mean there is more of a burden on people who maintain religious faith to examine their topics and purpose for posting than there may otherwise be. There is nothing wrong with expecting that.

There was a poster who used to give a church report every week because they attended with their still-believing spouse. But the exmo poster wrote his accounts in such a way that it was informative and from an exmo view, certainly not as an active and preachy believer. So people found value in that.

If a newbie exmo is still looking around to formulate a new belief system (if you want to call it that) and maybe attends various churches and wishes to discuss their thoughts that would seem to be perfectly fine too.

When I first came I spoke of having returned to my pre-mo EV church. (EVs of my acquaintance in Canada are different from many in the USA, which I didn't realize at that time; i.e. not as political or en bloc and more what I call "mainstream", i.e., not all that rigid - most of them). I outlined what I had talked to my pastor about re Mormonism and what he had said about it. And what helped me figure things out, or not. Etc. Nobody told me to take a flying leap (which I greatly appreciated). But I wasn't trying to convert anybody (I'm done with that for life!) so maybe they could pick up on that fact.

I have spoken of my JW days (pre-mo) and what their beliefs are, contrasting or comparing them with Mormonism and also mainstream EV teachings. If anybody didn't like it, they didn't tell me off for such topics. Again, no conversion was intended on my part. It was an exercise in thinking out loud as well as wishing to share some thoughts and experiences. It has helped me greatly in figuring things out (still an ongoing process).

I can remember only one time (a good long while ago) when I shared a religious experience, I think in answer to someone else's query about prayer. A police officer friend of mine had been killed on duty and I had been the victim services volunteer who had been called out to assist. (They didn't realize he was a friend and they didn't give me the news gently. I actually fell over with shock and grief during the phone call asking me to show up to the station right away). I had to spend the entire weekend squishing my own grief down deep while I did my duties, in the face of an entire station of officers who were grieving their loss.

When I was free to do so, I felt my own pain, which became physical as well as emotional. I had never experienced anything like it. I felt short of breath and had chest and abdominal pain. After a few days of it, lying in bed and fearing it was getting worse, I finally prayed for relief. For a Christian, I was often lax in resorting to prayer, which exercise never came easy to me, and I never thought I should pray for anything for myself. But I was desperate, thinking that maybe the pain would never end, and physically worn out. I was so surprised and dismayed that I would actually also have physical pain. I never knew that about grief before. So I prayed for help and instantly the physical pain was alleviated. I felt like I had been driven to the edge and with no other avenue open, so it seemed, in desperation I had prayed for help and it came. Not slowly but instantly. I counted it as a supreme spiritual experience. And also a great physical relief. It felt like love. Like I was loved. Like God was there and knew me and cared. Of course, I could have seen my doctor or a counsellor and got an Rx or a good word on grief reaction. But that was too slow for me at a time when I thought I was going to explode from the awful pain in my chest (which could have been a huge bundle of unshed tears or other physical reaction to emotional pain).

So that is my one big personal religious experience. And I felt comfortable enough at some point to detail it here and nobody complained (at least not to me). Because it was an account of a personal experience, not preachy at all. I never said it proved that God lived or that anybody could shoot off a quick prayer and get whatever they wanted in life or anything like that. I think that makes all the difference. Personal experiences OK. Even if they touch on religious belief. As long as one doesn't make absolute statements of universal "truths" to which non-religious folks do not subscribe.

But the bottom line, and the most important one, is that this board is for people who have been hurt by religion, namely Mormonism, as well as by other beliefs, which is generous of Eric, Founder. I have often said that I could quite easily get over my Mormon interlude as it was relatively short (three years) but other negative faith experiences have plagued me and I find it OK to bring them up here from time to time. I do try, though, to include Mormonism in my observations because that is the main topic of the board.

So the emphasis here is on people hurt by Mormonism. Such highly negative experiences which affect one in very personal and lifelong ways can and do make people sick, literally and figuratively. It is understandable if they develop an aversion to all religious ideas and talk and expressions. I have tried to clean up my act in that regard, changing my expressions for instance, such as refraining from my too-oft-used "Thank God" or "Hallelujah" as expressions of relief or joy. There are other non-religious-oriented words that will do just as well. It may seem small but even that kind of detail can either hurt or help a recovering person. I don't believe it is anybody's "right" here to insist on their own preferences and privileges but rather that all should make it a priority to refrain from hurting others by means of religious chatter and casual references to faith beliefs.

Again, this is a board for people who have been hurt by religion (or at the very least have questions about it). They are the priority, not my (supposed) right to fly up any topic I wish to chat about such as the church picnic or the wisdom in the latest Sunday sermon. If it is possible to do that, for the purpose of furthering the discussion about Mormonism, maybe that is different and would be OK. But first, I believe, one should think about a post they are considering writing and ask whether it will help or hurt the body of exmos in recovery.

I know that is a high standard and one I likely often do not meet myself. But at least I try to keep it in mind. To be blunt, this is NOT an equal opportunity board where everybody has a "right" to post whatever they want. One of the best ways to avoid even inadvertently hurting someone is to accept the premise which I strongly believe is true: Religion can make people sick, emotionally, mentally, physically (not a huge blinding insight; most of us know this). Do I want to add to their plight by my words? No, of course not. That's who should be our focus - it is the stated focus of RfM. And if that means that, to be kind, and more, we can't always dive in and post whatever we want, so be it.

As for how we interact with others, who knows when a cruel jab from us could be someone's last straw? Or when a wise word, a good word, a kind word will brighten someone's outlook and help them along their way?

Look at Deenie - gone 10 years (!!) and still people remember her with great fondness and love and appreciation. She got a very raw deal from Mormonism but she related her experiences with humour and warmth. And her legacy is that folks remember her for the beautiful and talented person she was, often vastly underappreciated within Mormonism, lauded and rightly so, outside it, including here. I'm sure her example helped many and likely does still today. I do not remember her arguing or dissing another poster ever. Even her accounts of her unbelievably weird, strange, and unkind Mormon experiences and the Mormons in her life were funny and entertaining and largely good-humoured. She spoke and we read and enjoyed. We still miss her. That's quite a legacy. Something perhaps to aim for.

Meanwhile, I try to remember, my "testimony" could very well hurt, not help, a fellow RfMer. So if I want to share my wonderful experience at a Christian concert or retell the greatest sermon of all time, I'll take it elsewhere.

And that hurts me not at all.

Date: August 07, 2019 01:56PM

Dagny said:

"It comes across as hypocritical to criticize Mormons so strongly and expect respect for another religion that has plenty of weird people, beliefs, practices and rituals."

I appreciate the fact that many RfM posters through the years have made this point. It has given me insight into realities that I had not thought of before.

I have had a lot of church in my life pre-Mormonism and post. I found it hugely challenging to discuss various topics with atheists here when I first started posting at RfM. And yet, fascinating and instructive. At the very least, I appreciated the opportunity to hear a different point of view from any that I had paid attention to before, mostly due to lack of opportunity - I just didn't come across atheists in my social circles or even at work, that I knew of or at least not that the topic came up.

I still remember how difficult it was to wrap my head around even the idea of the possibility that God did not exist. I struggled to envision what it would be like to believe that. I appreciated every poster who shared their thought processes and new ideas. It was an amazing lesson for me in letting my mind break free from concrete entrenched ideas. Not that I've changed my mind but at least I learned to think more widely and to better understand, and appreciate, the viewpoints of others.

So even if the questions are tough and the zingers find their mark at times, it certainly makes discussions interesting and thought-provoking, I find.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 03:27PM

dagny Wrote:
> I only would like to point out all religions have
> "hoops" and no faith based belief is any more
> legitimate than another when it comes to claims
> made on faith.
>
> It comes across as hypocritical to criticize
> Mormons so strongly and expect respect for another
> religion that has plenty of weird people, beliefs,
> practices and rituals.
>
> I hate to be defending Mormonism, believe me, but
> make darn sure your own religion doesn't have any
> issues if you want any credibility. For someone
> who bears testimony of all kinds of nonfactual
> hearsay experiences, cut Mormons a break. He whose
> religion has many hoops should not be pointing out
> hoops of others!
>
> Mormons are looking good by comparison to your
> collection of religious claims IMO.
>
> Go ahead and act all persecuted for your faith
> while complaining about Mormons. However,
> recognize how it comes across to some of us
> hearing you dish out complaints about Mormons but
> unwilling to apply the same level of scrutiny to
> yourself.
>
> I hope this honest response will help you
> understand why your testimony posts seem
> hypocritical to me. Not everyone here will agree.
> That's fine.

I agree.

Date: August 06, 2019 10:50PM

Wow! dagny. Just wow. Why are the religious beliefs of others such an issue for you? As for circumcision, there are no Jews in my family and every male has been circumcised without incident and none are complaining.If you don't want your sons circumcised, then don't do it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 06:01PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 12:40AM

"Why are the religious beliefs of others such an issue for you?" ... because those "beliefs" affect my government.

Date: August 07, 2019 12:55AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> "Why are the religious beliefs of others such an
> issue for you?" ... because those "beliefs"
> affect my government.

I don't see how Jewish religious beliefs, or Jewish religious practices, affect [your] government in any way....and I am assuming "your government" is the United States of America.

On a statehood ["national"] level, and when it comes to the American position on issues involving Israel, there are some effects of CHRISTIAN religious beliefs ABOUT Israel which, collectively, can have potentially enormous effect on American national policy, but the RELIGIOUS beliefs which are of import here are not Jewish beliefs, but CHRISTIAN (usually evangelical) ones.

Date: August 07, 2019 02:36AM

I'm not sure how you can say that. Do you really believe that Jewish beliefs and traditions have no influence over government policy in Israel, in the United States, or through Israel into the United States? You and I agree on most elements of the position of Jews and Israel in the world, but this proposition seems unrealistic.

It may be helpful if the moderators explain what exactly the prohibition against preaching means. For many of us, there appears to be a double standard for certain systems of thought and for certain posters. That perception, or misperception, generates friction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 02:37AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 07, 2019 02:57AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> I'm not sure how you can say that. Do you really
> believe that Jewish beliefs and traditions have no
> influence over government policy in Israel, in the
> United States, or through Israel into the United
> States? You and I agree on most elements of the
> position of Jews and Israel in the world, but this
> proposition seems unrealistic.

As I said in my post, I am assuming that Dave the Atheist's nation is the USA--and it is the USA I was (in the post above) talking about.

Therefore, the situation in Israel is irrelevant.

So far as religious beliefs go, the only religious beliefs which actually do affect the USA vis-à-vis the Israel situation are those of Christians (mostly evangelicals), to whom the existence of Israel is a religious priority.

Jewish religious beliefs do not enter into the USA/Israel situation.

I think you are maybe not parsing out Jewish "religious" from Israeli "political." In international terms especially, they are quite different perspectives.

> It may be helpful if the moderators explain what
> exactly the prohibition against preaching means.
> For many of us, there appears to be a double
> standard for certain systems of thought and for
> certain posters. That perception, or
> misperception, generates friction.

I am not pushing Jewish religious, OR Israeli political, beliefs. I try to explain misconceptions, but in the context of intellectual understanding (as would be true in an academic class at a state university, for example). I have zero interest in religious proselytizing of any kind, or in attempting to assert any political opinions vis-à-vis Israel.

Date: August 07, 2019 03:13AM

> So far as religious beliefs go, the only religious
> beliefs which actually do affect the USA
> vis-à-vis the Israel situation are those of
> Christians (mostly evangelicals), to whom the
> existence of Israel is a religious priority.
>
> Jewish religious beliefs do not enter into the
> USA/Israel situation.

I fundamentally disagree. You can't separate religion and politics in any context; and you can't disentangle domestic religion and politics either from the affairs of your own state or from those of your allies. I would think this point self-evident.

ETA: Are you saying that there are no religious Jews, meaning that the entire community is uniformly secular? Or are you saying that the religious Jews have absolutely no influence, either direct or indirectly, over US policy? Surely it has to be one or the other.

---------------
> I am not pushing Jewish religious, OR Israeli
> political, beliefs. I try to explain
> misconceptions, but in the context of intellectual
> understanding (as would be true in an academic
> class at a state university, for example). I have
> zero interest in religious proselytizing of any
> kind, or in attempting to assert any political
> opinions vis-à-vis Israel.

Tevai, I am not accusing you of proselytizing either politically or religiously. I appreciate, and almost always agree with, your cultural and academic reasoning.

I was making a different point, one that many others have expressed as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 03:27AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 07, 2019 04:04AM

I'm going to push further on this topic. I will steer clear of American domestic politics and focus on your secondary assertion that Jewish religion in Israel has no effect on the United States.

The Israeli constitution gives disproportionate power to small extremist parties. As a result, the predominantly secular government has been pushed many times by tiny religious groups to assume positions on the West Bank, the broader Middle East, and domestic social policies that a majority of Israeli citizens oppose. Since the United States enjoys a very close relationship with Israel, the result has in many instances been to lock the US into policies that many American political leaders and strategists consider harmful. It is therefore unreasonable to say that religion within Israel has no appreciable effect on American politics.

There are many other aspects to this question, but that observation should suffice to show that there is no clear distinction between religion in one state and the policies of its closest allies.

Date: August 07, 2019 09:58AM

This is only wading further and further knee deep into politics.

My thread had nothing to do with Israeli-US government relations. If you would like to start your own thread on the subject, please by all means do so.

But take it off mine. You are way off topic, and in fact violating forum rules.

Date: August 07, 2019 12:51PM

Perhaps you should report Tevai to the moderators, Amyjo. I was replying to her political comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 12:55PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 07, 2019 04:51PM

Well that is about as silly an idea as you've come up with yet.

Why would I report Tevai to herself?

Dagny denounces Jewish beliefs to derail my thread and all Tevai does is take a stand not only as a moderator but also as a Jew, and you call that political?

Puleeze. Get a grip woman!

If you really feel like you just have to start a new discussion on a separate topic unrelated to the OP to Reader, then please help yourself. But you're still off topic here, and I'm venturing you're also wading into an arena that is off limits even by Tevai's standards and RfM's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 04:52PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 09:28AM

Maybe we need to talk about the government of New Jersey enforcing bullshit jewish "kosher" laws and shutting down restaurants that falsely claim to serve "kosher". Yes, I've seen it.

Date: August 07, 2019 09:51AM

Start your own thread then on that topic since this thread OP has nothing to do with that subject matter.

Date: August 07, 2019 12:55PM

Perhaps you should report bona dea and Tevai to the moderators, Amyjo. Dave's post is a reply to their political comments.

Date: August 07, 2019 04:23PM

Oh wade into the deep end of the pool why don't you?

Start a different thread if you want to continue a different topic. You are way off topic on this one.

You want to start a political discussion with Tevai, take it to another thread!

You know you're out of bounds and you just keep pushing the limits as far as you can.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:49PM

I don't recall bringing up politics in any way that would violate the rules.Maybe in the past on other threads,but not here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 05:59PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Duh ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 11:05AM

They prohibit a form of false advertising -- claiming to offer kosher foods to consumers when the product is not, in fact, kosher. Why on earth would you object to that?

You seem to be implying that the state is forcing all restaurants to serve kosher food, and that is not the case.

Date: August 07, 2019 02:53PM

That sounds more like a restaurant claiming to be kosher when it isnt. The issue is false advertising, not religious enforcement. If they claim to be kosher, they need to serve kosher food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 06:02PM by bona dea.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 07:26PM

Mormon women and meds. A match made in heaven.

Date: August 06, 2019 09:42PM

The Mormon bishop's wife was a witch straight up from the infernal netherworld!

Date: August 07, 2019 12:42AM

Some do, but noT all and you know that. How Jews determine who is Jewish doesn't affect you or the government

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 12:44AM by bona dea.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 10:23PM

So much seems to hinge on where you are...one of the Moridors for instance and how involved you were in your local ward or stake. I was inactive for 40+ years before I resigned although I was the son of very prominent Mormons who had held numerous ward and stake positions. My dad may have told the bishop(s) to leave me and my brother alone. I'll never know now.

Date: August 07, 2019 07:17AM

Alberta, Canada seemed like God's country to me when we visited there on a family camping trip when I was 12. It was so beautiful compared to the American side of the border. But then that's true to over here where I live 15 minutes away from Ontario now. ;)

It still is. A friend who came to visit once told me that Ontario reminded her of Europe, it is so pretty there.

The Mormons of Alberta were very friendly when we were there. When our car broke down in Cardston and we had to camp in town there by a running creek in a campground for several days, my parents went through the Cardston temple, and I was able to spend a Sunday morning at a young woman's house from a ward there who was either going on a mission or was a returned missionary, with her family. They were very kind, and I thought their home and family was the ideal version of what a "normal" LDS family should be like.

Coming home to America was a little like returning to the Old Wild West. Just a little, mind you, but maybe not so much. We traveled back through Wyoming through a little dust bowl town where my grandfather was living at the time, where my dad was born. That was and still looks much the same way today it possibly did back when the pioneers settled it because it hasn't grown very much.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 06, 2019 10:25PM

She is the one who had to go. You were the one in charge.

No person has a right to push their way into your home against your objections.

They are dead wrong if they do this.

Any court or reasonable law enforcement person would send them packing.

Being associated with a church is not a reason to invade a private home or family.

Date: August 07, 2019 07:11AM

She is the same woman with her husband who by then was the ex-bishop of the ward when we'd resigned years earlier, who hid my daughter at their house for six long months from me while my daughter was preparing for her move overseas to Israel.

That witch of a woman and her husband didn't tell me she was staying there. I had to learn it for myself. When I'd call to speak to her the ex-bishop refused to put her on the phone. They were like a wall between myself and my daughter. They didn't try at all to help bridge the gap between us. My daughter had suffered a mental breakdown away at college, and developed a borderline personality disorder she inherited from her father, my ex-husband. It had come into full fruition into her 20's.

The ex-bishop and his wife seemed to take delight with causing and adding to my family's misfortune. My daughter was and is disabled, and really needed my help during that time and still does living on her own in Israel. Now she is on disability there and still not functioning well.

The former bishop and his wife wanted to harm us by their actions. While their own 40 + year old divorced daughter was living under their roof, they took pleasure in hurting my child and causing permanent harm to her and our family.

They're retired now and living in Utah - both were converts to Mormonism and some of the most zealot of Mormons I've ever known. I felt they were giving me payback for resigning when I did those years before after the bishop's wife's surprise visit on our doorstep. Just pure evil people. It doesn't get more evil than those two people are. They represent the modern face of Mormonism IMO. And the now ex-bishop? Would ogle my daughter head to toe when she was a minor at church.

So you can only imagine my horror at the thought of her living under their roof in secrecy from me for those six months. He well could have been acting on his fantasies by then for all I know. His role model was after all, Joseph Smith!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 03:25AM

it was illegal regardless of whether you formally resigned or not.

It's the threat of legal action that dampens the enthusiasm of overly zealous local leaders for harassment and other types of illegal behavior.

Complying with complex procedures established by the Church for resignation is not what slapped the bishop's wife back to her senses. It was the threat of legal action.

You do not have to jump through THEIR hoops to leave the church. But you may have to take some form of action to keep them from harassing you, depending on how insane the local members are.

In my case, I just made it inconvenient for them and scared them by talking about my "issues" (aka historical facts). They don't want to hear the facts.

Date: August 07, 2019 07:20AM

Church leaders at the local level are just laymembers, the same as you or I. They seldom have time for us, and if/when they do are most always in a hurry or rush to be somewhere else.

Their empathy/compassion level for other people and their problems is usually registering at zero.

I've had some really fine bishops in the past. But the asswipes have more than made up for them.

When you add in the gossips and the backbiters to the mix, and the bishops themselves who are involved the same way with those two then you get disastrous results very quickly in no time at all. They're a pernicious bunch, where hell is too good for the likes of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 07:22AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 12:47PM

This is a theme for you methinks. Are you on your way to recovering from the "them" Mormons who have done you wrong?

As a group Mormonism doesn't encourage good behavior. How can it? It is a corporate way of controlling people and not a non-profit to help people. IT is an end of times belief structure profiting no end to the people requiring a prophet/corporate god.

But I don't know how your horror stories help anyone but you in their retelling?

Date: August 07, 2019 04:30PM

It seems this is a theme for many ex-Mormons. I don't know what your issues are other than being the product of polygamists and still married to an active TBM, but if you don't like what other ex-members have to say about their experiences and sharing what they've been through doesn't mean someone else may be reading it for the first time or visiting here for the first time.

Your issues are unique to you. I read your stories about polygamy ad nauseum. Or rather I don't because they really don't interest me after a certain point I stopped reading them. Maybe you should try that yourself if you really aren't interested what others have to say regarding their past Mormon lives or why they left.

What I share doesn't strike me as a horror story. Does it to you?

It happened. Does it bother you that much to know the truth about the ugly underbelly you'd rather not expose? There are stories here that make mine pale in comparison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 04:33PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 05:12PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> It seems this is a theme for many ex-Mormons. I
> don't know what your issues are other than being
> the product of polygamists and still married to an
> active TBM, but if you don't like what other
> ex-members have to say about their experiences and
> sharing what they've been through doesn't mean
> someone else may be reading it for the first time
> or visiting here for the first time.

What is a theme? How is my ancestry and marriage having anything to do with this theme?

About your sharing. It is prolific. You don't avoid my posts so I don't avoid yours. Your detailing the horror Mormons you've encountered are meant for "someone else may be reading it for the first time or visiting here for the first time"?

Maybe these silent lurkers find an affinity with you. I rarely do.

> Your issues are unique to you. I read your stories
> about polygamy ad nauseum. Or rather I don't
> because they really don't interest me after a
> certain point I stopped reading them.

I literally laughed out loud at your hypocrisy. Carry on. I know I don't have to tell you to.

> Maybe you
> should try that yourself if you really aren't
> interested what others have to say regarding their
> past Mormon lives or why they left.

I'm not interested in you as a past Mormon but as a recovering one. I find that part of you fascinating. I'm in awe and wonder at what I sometimes see as a recovered Mormon posting and other times someone seeming still reeling from their scaring behaviors. The problem is wading through your volumes of asides and irrelevant opinion and information. And you ancestry. I don't mention mine much unless I think it applies to something posted. But you just wow. I get genealogy excites you so your comment about my lineage was super entertaining.

> What I share doesn't strike me as a horror story.
> Does it to you?

Yep. I feel like the Mormons are behind ever corner just waiting to ruin your day.

> It happened. Does it bother you that much to know
> the truth about the ugly underbelly you'd rather
> not expose? There are stories here that make mine
> pale in comparison.

I'd rather not expose? You might want to search my posts.

And I agree with you heartily here.

"There are stories here that make mine pale in comparison."

You are such a strong personality and poster that I wish your horror stories were horrific. You would have more cred to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 05:15PM by Elder Berry.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:31PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Amyjo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It seems this is a theme for many ex-Mormons. I
> > don't know what your issues are other than
> being
> > the product of polygamists and still married to
> an
> > active TBM, but if you don't like what other
> > ex-members have to say about their experiences
> and
> > sharing what they've been through doesn't mean
> > someone else may be reading it for the first
> time
> > or visiting here for the first time.
>
> What is a theme? How is my ancestry and marriage
> having anything to do with this theme?
>
> About your sharing. It is prolific. You don't
> avoid my posts so I don't avoid yours.

Oh yes I avoid your posts. Talk about prolific. I rarely read your multiple postings because you post more often than most posters here do on any given day per number of OP's topics. Honestly I don't have time to read most of your topics if I wanted to, and the ones I have read have been seldom interesting enough to keep my attention.

Your
> detailing the horror Mormons you've encountered
> are meant for "someone else may be reading it for
> the first time or visiting here for the first
> time"?
>
> Maybe these silent lurkers find an affinity with
> you. I rarely do.

I have none for you either. So we have that in common.
>
> > Your issues are unique to you. I read your
> stories
> > about polygamy ad nauseum. Or rather I don't
> > because they really don't interest me after a
> > certain point I stopped reading them.
>
> I literally laughed out loud at your hypocrisy.
> Carry on. I know I don't have to tell you to.
>
> > Maybe you
> > should try that yourself if you really aren't
> > interested what others have to say regarding
> their
> > past Mormon lives or why they left.
>
> I'm not interested in you as a past Mormon but as
> a recovering one. I find that part of you
> fascinating. I'm in awe and wonder at what I
> sometimes see as a recovered Mormon posting and
> other times someone seeming still reeling from
> their scaring behaviors. The problem is wading
> through your volumes of asides and irrelevant
> opinion and information. And you ancestry. I don't
> mention mine much unless I think it applies to
> something posted. But you just wow. I get
> genealogy excites you so your comment about my
> lineage was super entertaining.

Well you seem more excited about being from certain polygamists. Which I don't really relate to at all other than it being a FLDS type of situation that is more recent in time generationally than the distant past.

>
> > What I share doesn't strike me as a horror
> story.
> > Does it to you?
>
> Yep. I feel like the Mormons are behind ever
> corner just waiting to ruin your day.
>
> > It happened. Does it bother you that much to
> know
> > the truth about the ugly underbelly you'd
> rather
> > not expose? There are stories here that make
> mine
> > pale in comparison.
>
> I'd rather not expose? You might want to search my
> posts.
>

No thanks, I'd rather not. I really have no interest in doing that. Your personality doesn't make me want to go there.

>
> And I agree with you heartily here.
>
> "There are stories here that make mine pale in
> comparison."
>
> You are such a strong personality and poster that
> I wish your horror stories were horrific. You
> would have more cred to me.

I don't really think mine are as horrific as some of the others are here. But they are the reason why I left the cult when I did and they were bad enough and reason enough for me to leave that my shelf broke and I stopped believing in TSCC. If my honest to goodness accounts that happened to me can help someone else then I'm more than happy to share that with someone else.

I'm really not here to share horror stories. I'm here to share real life stories about why I left TSCC.

Those were my wake up calls. Those were my reality checks.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 01:16PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2019 11:24AM

IMO Reader appeared to be gaslighting. I could be wrong, but that's my take on it. Yes, *some* exmos can just walk away and not be harassed. But going by reports on this board, ongoing harassment by church members to inactives is more common than not. Most people cannot simply walk away. The church maintains a long list of methods to track members. They use senior missionaries to track members. Inactive members are discussed in ward councils, and members are encouraged to contact them via any way possible. None of this is compatible with just walking away.

And now the LDS church has made resigning even more difficult for those who choose to use a lawyer as an intermediary. You can't "just go," as Reader advised.

I'll contrast that with my experience with Catholicism, the church in which I was raised. In Catholicism you can "just go." You can walk away and there will be no official contact by your priest or designated members. If you want them to leave you alone, they will leave you alone. There is no central tracking system. If you do not voluntarily register at your local parish, you are off their radar completely. If you move out of the parish, you are off their radar completely. No calls, no visits, no "ministering." This is a church in which you can "just go." My understanding is that most mainstream Protestant churches are fairly similar.

Date: August 07, 2019 04:36PM

You well may be right about that, Summer. That's why I tried giving Reader a reality check, just in case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 04:54PM by Amyjo.

Date: August 07, 2019 06:00PM

So why blame Dagny that Reader seems to have disappeared?

AJ: "Reader is nowhere to be found. Reader is GONE. My OP was to Reader. Not to Dagny. My thread had NOTHING at all to do with Dagny's response to it, and Reader has disappeared. Thanks Dagny, for nothing."

I didn't see the post that caused you to start this thread. I do trust summer's instincts. She has a lot of insight and is a good observer.

Date: August 07, 2019 06:06PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> So why blame Dagny that Reader seems to have
> disappeared?
>
> AJ: "Reader is nowhere to be found. Reader is
> GONE. My OP was to Reader. Not to Dagny. My thread
> had NOTHING at all to do with Dagny's response to
> it, and Reader has disappeared. Thanks Dagny, for
> nothing."
>
> I didn't see the post that caused you to start
> this thread. I do trust summer's instincts. She
> has a lot of insight and is a good observer.

The post from Reader is in the link I provided at the top in the OP. All you have to do is CLICK on it.

Perhaps you could take a backseat and a deep breath for five seconds, and stop being so divisive?

And hell yes, my thread was hijacked before it ever got off the ground. You aren't really paying attention if you can't see that.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:43PM

Amyjo: One little quibble. I am not an atheist.

Another point: I have agreed with you and offered support many times. But the times I disagree strongly I speak out. I put a lot of thought (usually) into how I express a different opinion. It is never meant in a mean spirit but somehow you take it that way. I think one of the most important life lessons that many learn here is that a difference of opinion is *not* an "attack". You seem to see it that way even when I know for sure that I, for one, am not intending to attack you. I derive no pleasure from such pursuits.

It makes things personal in a negative way if you pass judgement on a poster's character, someone you have never met, just because they don't agree with you. Plenty of people do. It would be an easier world if we could all tune everybody out except those who see life exactly the same way we do ourselves. But that is not realistic. Unless you want to stay in a group like Mormonism. But then you have to toe their line and ditch your own thoughts and preferences or they will cast you out, often literally.

I know you seek a support system and derive benefit from it. But in the arena of religion you are never going to find 100% agreement, excepting groups such as moism, as I said, and others we could name and even there the agreement may only be skin deep, with people going along to get along. I'd rather hear people's true opinions. Stimulates the mind, teaches one a few things.

I don't wish you any ill. But I won't agree unless I do agree. And, in particular, I have been interested from day one in how this board works, its mechanics, its inhabitants, the interactions and disagreements. So if that topic comes up or a thread sparks those thoughts in my head I will weigh in. As we are free to do on any thread, whatever the topic, if we're even marginally in line with the subject matter. Or even if not, sometimes, depending on how we present it.

Maybe you could think about not seeing every difference of opinion or ideas as an attack. It is often not meant that way but it seems you see it like that. You might enjoy posting more (which I see is important to you) if you could just accept that we won't all see eye to eye. Unless people are obviously being nasty and contentious there should be no problem with people seeing things differently from ourselves.

This board isn't really meant to be one's support system for all things in our own tiny spot in the universe. It's mainly to discuss Mormonism and topics shooting off from that. I have found that staying realistic about it can allay disappointment if things don't go the way we expect, want or hope.

At least you get a lot of replies, Amyjo. Some people write a heartfelt post and it may not get noticed or it may disappear off the first page in a NY moment.

So there's that.

Things could be a lot worse.

And they are for multitudes of people.

Like those who are suffering intolerable grief right now in your country, or any country.

Like my Syrian neighbours whose "mail" from home is often notification of yet another violent death. They lost three young children from their extended family in one horrific incident. And they showed me the pictures. Something I cannot get out of my mind. And it shows up whenever I feel like whining because it's raining, or something equally completely trivial. And reminds me to dwell on the positive because things could always be far worse.

This board is not a therapy session. Some days are better than others. Often there are avenues to choose that would better suit our immediate needs than coming here to hassle over differences in beliefs.

You kind of get what you get. And many would be happy to take it.

There are far worse problems that many face every day than having to read a comment we don't like.

We can see that in the number of posters who disclose their health crises, their marriage break-ups, and other tragic problems and losses in their lives. I bet they'd trade their significant hurdles for an issue like not being happy with a response they received on the internet. It can feel huge until we stop and think about the real life problems with which so many struggle profoundly.

Date: August 07, 2019 05:54PM

I understand you're not an atheist Nightingale. I also see you and I do not see eye to eye on many subjects, religion being one of them. We can agree to disagree.

That being said, let this go.

There are people here who are hurting, really hurting. Maybe you can set aside your petty differences for just a moment and consider them instead of this bickering thread.

I'd like to see more of the threads where people are seeking assistance for their questions, and help for problems.

Since you and I can agree this isn't a therapy session, then great. But for some who are hurting, RfM may be their only source of refuge for starters to go when they have nowhere else to turn for answers. There are people in need on RfM right now who are reaching out, and this thread is taking up too much time to be of any value. I know there are some here right now seeking help, so let's try and be there for them, okay?

Let it go. Shalom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 05:55PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.