Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:56AM

LDS Inc. seems way more all or nothing than most religions. I'm almost certain I'm never going to pay tithing again. I let the admonishment/lecturing to get a temple recommend fall off like water off a ducks back, but it's getting old.

Actually, what I really should have posted in the subject line, is that it's hard to be a cultural Mormon.

I was kinda wondering if Russel M. Nelson watering things down might be a sign of Mormonism lightening up somewhat to accomadate the droves of semi active and inactive. Hmmm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 02:02AM

Is that what the current prophet is doing, watering things down? That’s a sincere question. I don’t really know.
You’re right that it’s an all or nothing religion I think more than the norm. I’m newly back on this site, so if you don’t mind me asking, why stay in it / half in - half out? I couldn’t stand it so I’m genuinely curious. More or the point, how do they treat you? I seem to remember as I was going less active that people were nicer to me. I didn’t particularly like it though as I suspected it was fake. Every persons story is different. I’m glad you’re saving money by not paying tithing!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 06:06AM

I don't think they know what they are doing now or where they want to go in the future. I think it is more of them watering down the bullshit enough for people to keep swallowing it. When I was a kid we were taught to be proud that we were a Peculiar People. When we were asked if we were Christian we were to say, no, we are mormon. Drinking a Coke was as bad as a dram of whiskey. Racism and sexism were doctrine, NEVER to be questioned. Oh, and let's not forget the Catholic Church was The Great Whore.

Hell, now they don't even want to be called mormon! They have done everything they can to water things down to fit in to main stream religions. Look! Look! We are not really a cult! We are just like you! We even let minorities in (but have you seen the daughter of a high up wed one?) And gee, now we even allow women to work (as long as they keep doing all their house duties). Coke? No big deal, who cares? Yeah, if I had a buck for every time I got punished for getting caught with one I would be rich. And those horrible Catholics? Well, they are our good friends. They help us fight those horrible gay people :)

All the budgets have been cut. A lot of chapels don't want to run heat and lights limiting the time people spend in the buildings. There have been stories here about them handing out blankets instead of turning the damn heat on. Can you imagine how filthy those things would be in a month? And of course, members need to spend their Saturdays cleaning. People depended on the small amounts they were paid for cleaning chapels and temples. Chapel kitchens are closed because they don't want to pay the insurance. All the things that built a sense of community are gone. But by hell there is still money to build more temples even though many stand empty the majority of the week. Makes ya wonder just who is making a profit off all that building doesn't it. I was taught to make do with what you had or what you could afford. Now, it is Prosperity Doctrine all the way. Ridiculous McMansions, expensive toys and who cares if you file bankruptcy.

Pay pay pay pay pray and obey. But how DARE you question where the money goes.

I don't envy you trying to keep a foot in.

Date: August 09, 2019 11:36AM

This is really interesting. I can see exactly what you mean. This adds another layer on top of all the lies. Dishonesty done with a smile, but don’t you dare notice anything. It’s extremely nauseating.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 10, 2019 07:34PM

It is pretty much do what is convenient at the moment. The thing that I find funny is they just expect everyone to FORGET all the stuff we were taught! For years and in different states.

Not that they have not given it a good try like pulling books that they don't want around. That is the reason that I have kept my copy of

https://www.amazon.com/Church-Negro-John-L-Lund/dp/B000IQLS0M

And now they are starting to backtrack on the Adam/God Doctrine, the base of the whole mess. I think it is the fact that they think everyone is so damn stupid that really pisses me off. Forget your lying eyes/ears and what you were taught for years, just listen to what we say today to get you to pay.

And yes, I admit, I am still BITTER over Coke :P

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 07:28AM

It’s hard to soar like an eagle when you’re stuck with a bunch of turkeys.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:14AM

As for Nelson watering things down to "accommodate for inactives or semi actives" I would say just listen to his last GC address for the answer to that question ("come follow me", ... or else). He's not accommodating for anyone. We can all plan on going to Hell if we aren't doing the temple thing and obeying, and paying. There aren't second chances, and baptism for the dead is likely worthless unless of course your 500 years old, or something.

(that's what he basically said)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:49AM

It's still pray pay and obey, but there has been plenty of watering down. Women's veils are gone. VT and HT and their monthly visiting and reporting requirements are gone. That's huge. The soul-killing three hour block is now a mind-numbing two hour block. They softened their draconian anti-same sex marriage stance, only three years after claiming the most draconian parts were a direct revelation from God so just accept it because there was zero chance it was going to change.

There has been a ton of watering down, and I fully expect much more is coming. Garments in temple only, coffee-tea prohibition dropped are two changes that would not surprise me.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 11:47AM

Their first martyr wasn't even wearing them when he was killed. Here's their sign and token.

Date: August 09, 2019 11:40AM

That wouldn’t surprise me that much either. But I find it hard to believe too much watering down too quickly wouldn’t make even TBMs feel like something is off. I look forward to those changes just so I can say to my brother “so now you can drink coffee? I thought god didn’t change his mind?” What’s the mormon come back for that ?(I can’t remember). I imagine it will be done slowly.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 12:32PM

He may be getting rid of some things that bother people, but his talks are basically tougher than other leaders I've heard in the past. There is no caring or love in his talks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 12:34PM by cl2.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 12:24PM

It's tricky at best.

Normal churches can deal with it, but not cult like organizations which are all or nothing.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:01PM

They have resorted to trickery, IMO. Their new ad campaign online looks like a nice everyday religion. "comeuntochrist.org" Not a mormon brand anywhere. click bait.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 01:15PM

It makes 'MormonSoft'

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 07:26PM

I think it’s such a mind f&@# that there will always be a part of me thinking I am making a mistake with eternal consequences to leave. I feel like I’ve been mostly, but not quite, deprogrammed. So thoughI don’t participate in anything lds related, I do keep in touch with lds friends. We sometimes talk about doctrinal matters. I don’t hurt them with strong feelings. And I sincerely believe most of them have my best interest in mind. Rationally, I’m out. Emotionally, I’m partially out. My therapist and I spend a lot of time on this. So I don’t know if this means I’m semi active. Haven’t set foot inside a chapel for almost 30 years. I’ve had my moments of hardcore anti, yet that one little speck of doubt in my own convictions haunts me. Sigh.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 07:56PM

Swearing

I would love to see the faces of the president dicks that used to give me a hard time when the church was more authoritarian and anal about everything. I used to be pulled for the dumbest things that were jepardizing my eternal welfare.

From home teaching failures to leaving church too early, those pricks made it abundantly clear that not staying for all 3 hours was horribly wrong.

And look where the stupid church is now with their it doesn't matter anymore.

Anyways it's a lot easier to be semi active nowadays than 25 years ago.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:14PM

Now think about that one. He was cheating with men, but giving me a hard time if I did anything. He told me I was lowering his ability to resist temptation.

I had twins and when they'd get unruly in sacrament meeting, if I'd get up to leave with one or both of them, he knew I was headed home (2 blocks away) and he'd glare at me. He still is angry at me for not going to the temple on bishopric night or at all. I only went 4 or 5 times. He didn't like me cussing or watching Married with Children or missing any meetings. The list goes on and on.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:13PM

It can't be all that hard to be a cultural Mormon since that's what a good portion of Utah Mormons are. I suppose it's harder for those who once took it totally seriously.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:13PM

INACTIVITY is the new ACTIVITY!

Join in everybody.

Eternally stay home.
Eternally BE Happy.
Eternally Be Free!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2019 02:03PM

Being a cultural mormon is very, very easy if you are totally inactive.

But I've moved on to being a mormon atheist or a laztheist, depending on which title is more likely to annoy whomever brought up the subject.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.