Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:14PM

Swearing slert

I was pretty dumb when it came to the organization of the LDS scriptures. I got schooled when I went to the MTC to serve a church mission. I think it was the first evening of class that the teacher challenged us to scripture chase. Well I was looking for Mosiah in the old testament. Since I was the last to correctly find it, I was assigned to say the closing prayer for a week. That's how mormons feel better about themselves. They attack the most vulnerable in the group to inflate their egos.

Today it no longer matters because scriptures aren't really needed or used in church meetings. It's been a tremendous relief to know that everything came from Joseph's ass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:23PM

My hand used to freeze up when I took shorthand tests, etc. Or typing tests.

I refused to say prayers after I realized I didn't have to. I was chastised for it by a few bishops, but I stuck to my guns. Mormonism is not a religion for those who are introverts.

I actually also felt dumb for a long time. Then I went to work for scientists, chemists, engineers, mathematicians and they thought I was pretty damn smart and they treated me that way. It changed my world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 08:24PM by cl2.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:28PM

I think that is a technique the cult utilizes to institute control of its minions.

And see how well that worked until it didn't?

Some of us outgrew the cult, eventually. You're not a dummy, messygoop. Not at all.

Still, that was a pretty crummy thing to do, even by its own standards, IMO. To be asked to give closing prayer should be something of an honor, not made to feel like a punishment.

Posted by: AVT-16 ( )
Date: August 08, 2019 08:44PM

IT DOESN'T MATTER:

If you have memorized all the Scripture there is! Because if you don't know the true meaning or intent of its purpose it will do you no good. the word of God will have fallen on death ears.

If you have made all your "ministering requirements" yet have no love for the people you are helping . It will be as if you did nothing at all.

If you pay all your tithing just only because the Lord has promised to take care of all your needs

If you go to church faithfully yet hate being there and everyone associated with your experience . you have just wasted your time

So much just does not matter

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 01:08AM

I've been out of the church 25 years.
And for about 20 of those I have felt stupid.

Because I was never taught to think. Really think! I was taught to obey, to not question instead of to think critically.

It's only in the last few years that I"m realising I am actually a pretty smart cookie. (And bloody cute too!.. oh the feeling ugly is a whole other topic..)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 02:31AM

as a youngster reading and pondering and poring over the scriptures. Not wasting time studying the scriptures was probably the smarter approach in the long run.

The only way you would have known that Mosiah was not in the Old Testament would have been by investing a huge amount of time as a teen studying the Old Testament and the Book of Mormon. In both cases, 90% or more of the contents can best be described as useless garbage...unless you would have gotten a special thrill reading about how a guy caused a bear to kill several children because they laughed at his bald head...and other stuff like that.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 03:16AM

As a young 19 year old. I was made to feel stupid in the church. I asked the wrong questions. Obviously, I just didn't get it.

I remember being excited and telling my seminary teacher that I had taken the the ASVAB and scored a 99. Instead of sharing in my excitement, he told me I needed to learn to focus on the right things in life, namely being a good wife and mother. At the time I was fully believing and took him to heart. I didn't pursue the military or schooling for the next fifteen years. I stayed home and was a good mother.

I loved being a mother, but the church asks you to suppress large portions of your personality, goals and ideas in order to fit in. Its the opposite of what they claim to be. The church is meant to lift you up and make you a better person. a church should help you to be the best version of yourself possible, instead you get put in a box. A box whose parameters are defined and set by ancient closed-minded men.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 09, 2019 06:02AM

It’s like being the last dog to catch its tail.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.